Thread: Cervical Radiculopathy

Default Cervical Radiculopathy

Just curious to see if anyone else has any experience dealing with this. I literally herniated a disc in my sleep! First day I just thought I slept funny and it hurt really bad. The next morning the majority of my right arm was weak, numb and very painful. After an urgent care visit followed by an ER visit I had an MRI that revealed a herniated disc and bone spur that was pushing on a nerve at C6. Did a round of steroids, muscle relaxers, etc. The ER dr was adamant I would need surgery. I have medical knowledge and did some research and it appears they don’t actually rush into surgery for this. I do have an appointment with a neurosurgeon but it’s still several weeks away. It has signicantly improved. I have sensation back in most of my arm. I still have pain but not anywhere near what it was. My biggest complaint is continued weakness in that arm. It’s my dominant arm. Anyone have any experience they would be willing to share?
    Because I said so - mom

awwwurz will become famous soon enoughawwwurz will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrgirl View Post
    Just curious to see if anyone else has any experience dealing with this. I literally herniated a disc in my sleep! First day I just thought I slept funny and it hurt really bad. The next morning the majority of my right arm was weak, numb and very painful. After an urgent care visit followed by an ER visit I had an MRI that revealed a herniated disc and bone spur that was pushing on a nerve at C6. Did a round of steroids, muscle relaxers, etc. The ER dr was adamant I would need surgery. I have medical knowledge and did some research and it appears they don’t actually rush into surgery for this. I do have an appointment with a neurosurgeon but it’s still several weeks away. It has signicantly improved. I have sensation back in most of my arm. I still have pain but not anywhere near what it was. My biggest complaint is continued weakness in that arm. It’s my dominant arm. Anyone have any experience they would be willing to share?
    DO NOT RUSH INTO THIS PLEASE.

Cervical surgery and any general messing around - well you can't take it back.

What is this surgeon's plan for your pinched nerve(s)? Please hold back on fusions- lest u like staring into the sky at a 45 degree angle. Sure that's not always the case but I know a person it happened to.

I have cervical stenosis on 2 levels. It blows. I get pain on top of the pain I have from other issues. It causes migraines that I thought I was done with and a general daily headache.

I have deep tissue massages that fall under physical therapy for me. It feels good and helps- some.

Make sure your sleeping set up is good, especially the pillows. Perhaps even a liquid filled pillow but each has their own preference. Talk to a physiatrist also for pain treatment, physical therapy references, etc.

You could try float tanks for some temporary relief. Some find more help than others from it than others.

If you got it fast, don't rush into it quickly please.

I've done the shots, the Medrols (steroid pills), and lame MR's.

Get 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Avoid the chiro's in most cases. I am not a fan and played that game. That worsened me.

Are you getting the curling toes/fingers at night or day yet? That's a real pain literally. Can you sleep?

I hate to say this but consider dealing with the problem a while longer and take the slow road to any serious procedures/surgery. I also found spine stimulators a laugh.

You do need to be sure you won't have PERMANENT nerve damage. Don't assume your surgeon is right- again alternate opinions. If you have a decent doc he/she should feel ZERO concern and would suggest another opinion.

These folks make hand over fist so they always have another patient. Check this doc's background and grades on say "healthgrades" and there are others.

So where am I at after over a year since my neck went (back already did that mess), I am dealing with it. I have some weeks that are not so bad. Some days that stink.

Get some migraine meds if u get that issue like sumatripan. I like biofreeze every blue moon to stimulate my neck and take my mind off it.

Aqua therapy can be good. Very light "WATSU" therrapy may be of some help. We are all different.

I truly wish you the best and relief. No one deserves this with few exceptions.
    Best
    Helpful Victoria123, Mrs Parker, Danie Rated helpful
    Likes Stevo1, Qtrgirl liked this post

I haven’t actually seen the neurosurgeon yet. I have an appt. next week. It was the ER physician that told me I would need surgery. I’m not planning on having the surgery. I’m more curious to see how long it took others to heal. I have multiple health problems and my pcp does not want me to see a chiropractor. He’s a DO so it’s not a bias against it. I’m doing okay with the sleeping. I can’t sleep on my side which sucks but I did find a pillow that lets me sleep sitting up. I’ve been camped out in my living room for 3 weeks
    Last edited by Qtrgirl; 02-12-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    Likes awwwurz liked this post

I haven’t actually seen the neurosurgeon yet. I have an appt. next week. It was the ER physician that told me I would need surgery. I’m not planning on having the surgery. I’m more curious to see how long it took others to heal. I have multiple health problems and my pcp does not want me to see a chiropractor. He’s a DO so it’s not a bias against it. I’m doing okay with the sleeping. I can’t sleep on my side which sucks but I did find a pillow that lets me sleep sitting up. I’ve been camped out in my living room for 3 weeks
    ::Raises weak, painful arm/hand::

I've got it and it sucks. I'm so sorry you do too! @awwwurz is right- cervical surgery to replace the bone or to stabilize by fusing it are some of the worst
    surgeries and carry some of the highest 'buyer's remorse' numbers I've ever seen. This forum has been chock full over the years with folks who have
    had that surgery and are in more pain after than when they started. I don't mean to scare you needlessly, but I'm relieved to hear you're not planning on it.

Get second opinions. See an osteo doc. Do whatever you need to to feel better. I've been dodging surgery for this for the better part of 6 years and although
    having arms/hands that go numb, painfully prickle, and having muscle spasms several times an hour is crummy, better that than having a steel plate put in with
    screws imo.

I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you can find some relief!
    Helpful awwwurz Rated helpful
    Likes Ellyn, Qtrgirl, 4legsgood liked this post
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, b_tches!

awwwurz will become famous soon enoughawwwurz will become famous soon enough

Hey- be careful with chiropractors also. Some of them just take it too far. I've been there, had a couple and spent years with one. I swear one session he pushed my neck too far with his body weight. I have never returned. I did 12 months at 2x a week prior to a fusion surgery was suggested since nothing was helping- nor did that surgery and 2nd revision.

There are good chiros, bad ones, in-between's, etc. If you see a physiatrist or a well versed orthopedic doc, get a recommendation.

ER docs- that's crazy. I mean normally you would be like a ball of goo on the bed and you'd barely be able to say yes or no if they are shoving you off to surgery land.

It can take time. I sleep on my back now for years. Hated that when I was a young man but you learn to get accustomed to it. It's not so bad. Some relaxation/meditation techniques may help you (countdown/relax, etc.). If you do not know these, you should be seeing a doc that can show you these things or try anyways. Physical therapists may be able, chronic pain counselors, and so on. Get some kind of referral if need be.

I have had some luck personally (perhaps I've already said so?) with my last 2 physical therapy practices and with them doing deep tissue massage and such. I HATE trigger points and not a fan of that silly electronic toy that is supposed to do acupuncture. I mean no offense to those that derive help from it. I just find the science behind some of it a tad loopy and I just detest the whole playing around with a needle in a sore muscle for 20 seconds or such. OUCH!

Any sort of massage therapy I can get for a co-pay and so on is a win for me. I helps to relax me even if it hurts so good at times. Got to give 'em feedback.

Stay in touch and I wish you the best. Life, who chose this mess for me?
    Helpful Mrs Parker Rated helpful
    Likes Qtrgirl, 4legsgood liked this post

I did see the neurosurgeon who recommended epidural steroid injections. I’m not a fan. Thankfully it has improved quite a bit in the last few weeks.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.