Thread: Interactions that Dr's and Pharmacies miss that upset you or we should look out for; Been down that road?

Default Interactions that Dr's and Pharmacies miss that upset you or we should look out for; Been down that road?

So I am forever feeling like a guinea pig and no matter if I offer up a whole form with all the meds I am on, dosages, so forth---- I always feel the need to check them online; I find missed interactions all the time.

Anyone care to mention one that is missed often and should look out for? I am so tired of finding out the hard way like when I do not check online first.

For instance, beta blockers like Inderal that I was put on recently for my incessant headaches. Doc missed that I am on a med with epinephrine and I could not grasp why I just felt like collapsing for a quite some time.

Not to get off topic- serious gripe of mine is docs scripting meds for off label use. Like if I want to sleep- well give me some darn ambien and not some zombie tricyclic antidepressant. HATE HATE HATE that mess.

Wondering if others have run into docs putting you in harms way?
    Likes Bawston, Mrs Parker liked this post
    Call on God, but row away from the rocks

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

I have an entire page of allergic reactions or drugs that have given me bad or unpleasant experiences. This is all because years ago I was diagnosed with MS and out on so many different drugs (and multiples) that I didn't know if I was going to survive. You mention those damn anti depressants...can't take them and won't ever get talked into them EVER again! They try those for just about everything. After being on one my husband found me on the floor trying to rip my skin off.

Problem is not just the interactions but you find out that your own chemistry just doesn't react to certain meds. An example for me is any antihistamine - even Benadryl which they give to kids. For some reason it sets of my colitis and it takes major steroids to get it back under control.

My advice is to check everything they prescribe and also look specifically online for "XYZ adverse reactions" - lots of sites out there that people post their open experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawston View Post
    I have an entire page of allergic reactions or drugs that have given me bad or unpleasant experiences. This is all because years ago I was diagnosed with MS and out on so many different drugs (and multiples) that I didn't know if I was going to survive. You mention those damn anti depressants...can't take them and won't ever get talked into them EVER again! They try those for just about everything. After being on one my husband found me on the floor trying to rip my skin off.

Problem is not just the interactions but you find out that your own chemistry just doesn't react to certain meds. An example for me is any antihistamine - even Benadryl which they give to kids. For some reason it sets of my colitis and it takes major steroids to get it back under control.

My advice is to check everything they prescribe and also look specifically online for "XYZ adverse reactions" - lots of sites out there that people post their open experiences.
    I agree with what you say.

I also take steroids at times. They are for my failing neck (c5 c6 stenosis and possible peripheral neuropathy). I get the injections, the "packs", and have a bottle of prednisone. I hate them so as I don't sleep but I need not preach to you as I am sure you deal with that also.

That's all I can do myself- go online and check for interactions. I think one should do it before taking any new med. I find out the hard way at times myself.

I hope you find relief. I know MS is no fun.

You are so right on knowing your own body chemistry. Occasionally on my doctor quest, I will find one that realizes that if one of a family of meds has issues for you- the rest generally will, too. Always looking for a new neurologist. Hard to find sadly.

Good travels.
    Likes Bawston, Gullible liked this post

jakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to alljakemoe is a name known to all

It's very frustrating getting instructions from the doctors and pharmys. Sometimes they really f up and it is wisest to check up on these things yourself. I often feel like I should be on their payroll because I'm doing their job for them.
    Helpful Whisperliner Rated helpful
    Likes pippi222, Bawston, Mrs Parker, Binky liked this post
    F**k the DEA

pippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the rough

Amen @jakemoe. Our physicians are supposed to be experts, but sometimes you get one who is lazy and careless. Very disappointing when we have to do their jobs ourselves.
    Likes Mrs Parker, Binky liked this post
    Loose lips sink ships.

Bawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond reputeBawston has a reputation beyond repute

@lividthedream...I am on my 9th, maybe 10th neurologist and have given up on trying to get the MS diagnosis pinned down and no longer take any of those drugs. The best answer I got was from one who unfortunately retired. When I told him that I had 3 neuro's saying yes and 3 saying no MS, he looked at my MRI's other doctor notes, and treatments and said "well, I'll cure you right now and say you don't have MS because the drugs we have for it have damned near killed you!"

I've had lung cancer, fibromyalgia, and severe neck & back problems so I figure that's enough for me to deal with.

I too would love to find a good neurologist but unfortunately I've found that it's one speciality that you have to know your diagnosis before choosing the doctor since they're so specialized.
    Helpful Binky, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes Mrs Parker, pippi222, lividthedream liked this post

@lividthedream...I am on my 9th, maybe 10th neurologist and have given up on trying to get the MS diagnosis pinned down and no longer take any of those drugs. The best answer I got was from one who unfortunately retired. When I told him that I had 3 neuro's saying yes and 3 saying no MS, he looked at my MRI's other doctor notes, and treatments and said "well, I'll cure you right now and say you don't have MS because the drugs we have for it have damned near killed you!"

I've had lung cancer, fibromyalgia, and severe neck & back problems so I figure that's enough for me to deal with.

I too would love to find a good neurologist but unfortunately I've found that it's one speciality that you have to know your diagnosis before choosing the doctor since they're so specialized.
    @Bawston, years ago I went through a shit load of Neuro's and was told MS, Early Parkinson's and even Wilson's until I went to the Cleveland Clinic and found one who actually took 2 hours with me and examined and listened. He found Cervical Canal Stenosis from the MRI of my neck he requested had compressed my Spinal Cord and was causing all my symptoms. I had turned down all the drugs others wanted to script and was told because I did I was only looking for Drugs... Like Pain and Benzos to help essential tremors. Something in me knew it wasn't what the others thought. I would hate to think what those meds might have done or cost me.

You are right in the Specialty of Neuro's. I happened, by shear luck, to pick one out of a Magazine listing the top 50 in the country and made an appt with the one in my area and waited over a year. He recognized how frustrated I was. I lucked out with him referring me to the Lead Surgeon in the Clinic. All was good afterward. But, I learned they all have specialties. A Dr literate in Parkinson's is not literate in Spinal Cord issues, nor is a Spinal Dr literate in MS.

Its tough getting a goos Neuro
    Helpful Binky, Bawston, pippi222, lividthedream Rated helpful

I had an interesting issue with a prescription a while back. I am on two blood pressure meds, plus neurontin for seizures. I never look at the pills in the bottle after I have been taking them a while. For some reason, one day I did.

There was a different pill in the bottle. I researched it, and it was a lot stronger, different type of BP med.

I called the pharmacy, and they said to throw it away. They said that is what they normally tell customers to do when this happens. I thought, "what you NORMALLY tell customers?" Just how often has this happened?

Now I try to make sure and look. When it comes down to it, we are all ultimately responsible for looking out for our own well-being. We all make mistakes at work. It is just when a pharmacy or doctor does it, it can be deadly.
    Helpful Bawston, blueroan17 Rated helpful
    Likes pippi222 liked this post

@Jazie...I'll be honest - after having odd neurological symptoms and getting bounced from doctor to doctor, it was kind of a relief to get the diagnosis of MS. I know that sounds terrible but having symptoms w/no diagnosis made me feel like I couldn't take action. I'm the type to identify a problem then fix it. Only problem was that a diagnosis of MS involves a whole lot of trial and error and the MS drugs almost proved deadly for me.

I've got a lot of cervical issues as well as severe problems in my lower back but my brain MRI shows over 20 lesions that have been suggestive of: possible MS, Lyme, migraine, fibromyalgia, and finally severe degenerative brain disease (aging brain beyond what my age typically shows).

In addition to the problem of the narrow specialties for neurologists, the doctor reading the MRI while take cues for interpretation from what the doctor tells them to rule out.

You're very lucky to have landed with a good doctor. I've been also looking at the list of top docs in my area. Most would be in the city and probably worth it but I'm so very weary.
    Helpful Jazie Rated helpful

I am sorry to hear that- I would fall on my sword and say you are so unfairly treated- sounds like we all are , though. Never ends huh? Lung cancer- I cannot imagine. I freak out when I cannot get my breath (yes, I have some issues but not that). You sound like you have been so unfairly treated. "Sorry's" are never enough and I am not sure where to begin. All I can say is that I do hope you get better- and I hope you don't suffer. Pain is useless except to tell us we have a problem which often we already know I guess.
    I had a lover that had MS. I felt horrible for her. It put her in a bad place but there's a lot to it and I will leave that alone. Either way, no good. I've known other MS sufferers. I know you know it ranges as far as pain and problems. Simply- it stinks. I assume you have to be on the steroids and well I guess I hope you like to read. I know I cannot sleep when I have to take those. Ugh. Be strong though so easy to type than to suffer through. I do wish you well.

I hope you find relief. I cannot believe this world we live in; few if any answers to those that deserve it. I am not talking about myself. I feel sad for those that suffer and it's not fair and I think there are people that are simply tossed asunder. I am so sorry to hear of your problems.

I suspect I am on my way out not too far along; aren't we all I guess? - I expect ZERO and I am sure I am low on the list of sufferers here on this board. I did join so I could get some thoughts and answers and maybe even offer something of worth along the way.

I could be very wrong but things are building up for me and I am close to done hoping for docs to find answers for me.

Though I am not a big poster and well just started anyways- posting from a hospital bed with more needles and wires than a electronic macrame is just not feasible.

The place I was at wants $35 for an answer via their electronic messaging. You can get help for problems on a password but dare ye ask for help on the terminology for your abnormal heart- good luck.

I am sorry to also hear about your ill fated adventures with neurologists. I think a chunk of them perhaps need one for themselves. Sad at least in the US. I found a nice lady but she is a bit off also. At least she is nice. Not much help but -- nice.
    I do hope you get better. I am near given up on finding a good doctor or should I say a few doctors. One is not enough for me and to no fault of her own.

Anyways- should be interesting to see what the neurologist wants to do now since my heart attack.
    If you are interested in them- I suggest you avoid them. Unpleasant would not come close to how bad they are.

I would love to speak to someone that has gone through that. I am a newbie I guess to that mess. I now get to wear nitro and stuff around my neck. I am too young, I thought, for this but now it's best to be true and live a full life as possible.
    The light that burns so bright- burns half as long. Not sure I said that right but I feel that. I can't complain. I feel from reading here a lot (I don't weigh in on things a lot) that so many hurt and its unfair but who gets to say that is? I guess one should be happy to get a "ride on the turnstile" and be sure to observe every moment.

Sorry being so deep right now on a place that no one knows me but I guess that's the perfection of it.

I hope those that are in pain get a break from it. Not fair. Good people not getting treated well and I bet there are a ton on this landing spot.
    Wish docs would really go out of their way. My family awaits for the lousy hospital to get around to doing my CTA as the angiogram was not enough due to having some messed up arteries I guess.

Love the jello though. A newbie ought not to write so much and I apologize for that.

@lividthedream... you're very kind and please, you should know there's no need for apologies for saying what you feel on this board. Yes, plenty of us deal with pain every day and most of us are mad that the medical community seems to be letting us down in deference to government rule makers. But - we're all here for each other...suggestions, questions, and most of all support.

I'm actually doing ok and believe it or not am in a better place than I was about 15 years ago. Sometimes it when you can just get explanations for the symptoms you have it helps because it gives you a direction to move in. When you're in limbo waiting for test results and fading away is when you sometimes give up hope.

You stay with us and write whenever you want. I think you'll find lots of kind people here.

pippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the roughpippi222 is a jewel in the rough

@lividthedream Why do you say you think you are on the way out? I hope this isn’t true.
    Loose lips sink ships.

14. Interactions that Dr's and Pharmacies miss that upset you or we should look out for; Been down that road?