Thread: Meditation to relieve anxiety?

1. Default Meditation to relieve anxiety?

Just curious if anyone has ever tried meditation for their anxiety disorder or issues? I recently in the past few months have been reading a lot about meditation and found that on some of my worse days if ai can find a quiet place and just keep myself as calm as possible sometimes meditation can help me a lot with my anxiety and worries. There is a great book called The Miracle of Mindfulness based on some Buddhist practices that I suggest for anyone looking to get into meditation or at least read about the benefits of it. Please feel free to share your experience with me if you feel like it. Thanks.
    Helpful meadowlark, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes McChrystals_Pistol, CrayonBox liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    I am currently trying meditation and meditative yoga. I do feel relaxed during the sessions and for about an hour afterwards. I guess it's worth it but sometimes it just feels so silly.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. My anxiety started morphing into depression and suicidal thoughts. I work out a lot as well which helps while I'm doing it. I still feel awful most of my day
    Likes CrayonBox liked this post

I an see where this may help some, it would be nice if it would work the same way for pain rather than anxiety.

Doubleshot has a spectacular aura aboutDoubleshot has a spectacular aura aboutDoubleshot has a spectacular aura aboutDoubleshot has a spectacular aura aboutDoubleshot has a spectacular aura aboutDoubleshot has a spectacular aura aboutDoubleshot has a spectacular aura about

Never underestimate the power of the mind. How many great people: from scientists, to writers, to philosophers, have said "we become what we believe" or "we are what we think". If someone said out loud to us, what we often say to ourselves silently on a continuous basis, we'd probably tell them to get the f out of our lives! I'm not one for meditating. I do like to distract myself with reading. But I think at the heart of things like meditation, is really about quieting our negative inner voices and trying to change our inner dialogue. Sometimes that starts with just shutting ourselves the hell up. Its okay to just be silent, even in your head, you know? It's hard. The world is so crazy- there are so many people and it feels like there are too many hamsters in the cage alot of the time. I really find my peace when I am out working with the horses at the ranch, even if I'm grooming or scooping poop- its like that voice in my head can just settle down. Horses are like barometers- because they are herd animals, they read body language incredibly well- it is how they do or do not survive I suppose. But I can always tell by the horse if one of my students is afraid, had a bad day, is upset, is somewhere else... and I always stop them and say- hang it up at the gate. You must be here now, in your body and be present. I mean, with horses, my show beast is 1600 lbs of muscle, you can't afford to be anywhere but in the here and now. And I think when we are in the world surrounded by our electronics and the news and this disaster and that horrible thing- I don't understand why we aren't all hiding under our beds! And then there are all those posers who post on facebook and instagram and twitter and are so clever, and never have a hair out of place and have perfect houses and perfect children and perfect lives while I am drowning in laundry and have at one point or another gone to bed for days without brushing my teeth once the whole time. So there.

I guess they must all meditate and do alot of yoga.

DS
    Likes jaders, CrayonBox liked this post
    "The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us, but those who win battles we know nothing about."
    "The pain you feel today will be the STRENGTH you feel tomorrow."

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute

Meditation is greatly helpful to me when I can "force" myself to do it consistently. It most definitely helps me with body tension and in just making my emotions feel less power over me. However, even better for me is getting out into nature. Hiking and being around animals, (especially dogs for me,) and getting away from the rat race is by far the most restorative medicine for myself and admittedly I enjoy being active more than I do the sitting part of meditation. The sitting is boring and that's a tough one for me...

I also agree that all our self talk is a big factor in our mood and how we see and "create" the world around us. I feel like one of my biggest faults is my judgmental thoughts, but I'm getting better at catching them, and then I follow up the judgement, if it's towards someone else, by wishing them love and light. I do really believe that idea that how we think, we become. I'll never forget once where I work, a woman with a tantrum-throwing toddler that was truly making me nuts and it went on and on. I kept thinking, geez can't you do something about this, and I was feeling quite angry. Then I finally thought to send her love and light and in just a few brief moments she took the kid outside (finally.) I know that sounds so pollyanna, but I just think there's an energy to our thoughts that can affect what happens in those moments. It's often very hard to remember this tho.

All I know for sure is that it isn't easy being a human and having to cope with our mind and thoughts...
    Helpful Krang Rated helpful
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

7. I've been looking into meditation for a while now. One of the most important things I've learned so far is that it is very important to pick the right kind of meditation to lessen anxiety and depression symptoms. Some studies show that certain types of meditation can actually make depression and anxiety worse!

Apparently Vipassana meditation is best for anxiety and depression. You can find a few articles about this on the interwebs. Unfortunately my post count isn't high enough to post links yet, but there's a good article about this on the site Mental Health Daily.
    Likes CrayonBox, jaders liked this post
    “Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” -Joseph Heller

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kon1er1986 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has ever tried meditation for their anxiety disorder or issues? I recently in the past few months have been reading a lot about meditation and found that on some of my worse days if ai can find a quiet place and just keep myself as calm as possible sometimes meditation can help me a lot with my anxiety and worries. There is a great book called The Miracle of Mindfulness based on some Buddhist practices that I suggest for anyone looking to get into meditation or at least read about the benefits of it. Please feel free to share your experience with me if you feel like it. Thanks.
    YES!!! After 14 hours in the emergency room getting checked out for what i thought was a heart attack, the doctor told me I had had an anxiety attack.

A copy of The Mircale of Mindfulness had been coleectjng dust on the bookshelf for 6 years after gifting from my bro at Xmas, so I dusted it off and read it.

The gist of what I got out of it is not to try to meditate just a couple hours a week here and there, but to strive for a meditative state in all of the daily, repetitive, and mundane chores we all spend so much time doing..

It was a great manual, if I can call it that and really helped me with the anxiety, haven’t had an attack since.
    Likes CrayonBox, jaders liked this post

CrayonBox will become famous soon enoughCrayonBox will become famous soon enoughCrayonBox will become famous soon enough

I recently downloaded the Calm app on my phone so I could learn how to properly do breathing excercises. I like it so far. There are also some meditation sessions on there I’m going to look at next.
    Helpful Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes jaders, Krang, McChrystals_Pistol liked this post

10. Quote Originally Posted by CrayonBox View Post
    I recently downloaded the Calm app on my phone so I could learn how to properly do breathing excercises. I like it so far. There are also some meditation sessions on there I’m going to look at next.
    Yeah, the breathing is important. I got an Apple Watch recently that has a “breathing” exercise app, reminds me every hour to try and calm myself and focus on breathing. Sounds gimmicky, but it is actually very helpful.

Good luck with the meditation

11. Hi, I suffer from very bad anxiety and it can be debilitating. This is my first post, not sure how to navigate the site yet but wanted to say good luck to you and introduce myself to the group
    Likes Krang liked this post

12. Meditation to relieve anxiety?