Thread: Meditation to relieve anxiety?

1. Default Meditation to relieve anxiety?

Just curious if anyone has ever tried meditation for their anxiety disorder or issues? I recently in the past few months have been reading a lot about meditation and found that on some of my worse days if ai can find a quiet place and just keep myself as calm as possible sometimes meditation can help me a lot with my anxiety and worries. There is a great book called The Miracle of Mindfulness based on some Buddhist practices that I suggest for anyone looking to get into meditation or at least read about the benefits of it. Please feel free to share your experience with me if you feel like it. Thanks.
    Helpful bluu, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes McChrystals_Pistol, CrayonBox liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    I am currently trying meditation and meditative yoga. I do feel relaxed during the sessions and for about an hour afterwards. I guess it's worth it but sometimes it just feels so silly.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. My anxiety started morphing into depression and suicidal thoughts. I work out a lot as well which helps while I'm doing it. I still feel awful most of my day
    Likes CrayonBox liked this post

I an see where this may help some, it would be nice if it would work the same way for pain rather than anxiety.
    Likes CrayonBox liked this post

Doubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the roughDoubleshot is a jewel in the rough

Never underestimate the power of the mind. How many great people: from scientists, to writers, to philosophers, have said "we become what we believe" or "we are what we think". If someone said out loud to us, what we often say to ourselves silently on a continuous basis, we'd probably tell them to get the f out of our lives! I'm not one for meditating. I do like to distract myself with reading. But I think at the heart of things like meditation, is really about quieting our negative inner voices and trying to change our inner dialogue. Sometimes that starts with just shutting ourselves the hell up. Its okay to just be silent, even in your head, you know? It's hard. The world is so crazy- there are so many people and it feels like there are too many hamsters in the cage alot of the time. I really find my peace when I am out working with the horses at the ranch, even if I'm grooming or scooping poop- its like that voice in my head can just settle down. Horses are like barometers- because they are herd animals, they read body language incredibly well- it is how they do or do not survive I suppose. But I can always tell by the horse if one of my students is afraid, had a bad day, is upset, is somewhere else... and I always stop them and say- hang it up at the gate. You must be here now, in your body and be present. I mean, with horses, my show beast is 1600 lbs of muscle, you can't afford to be anywhere but in the here and now. And I think when we are in the world surrounded by our electronics and the news and this disaster and that horrible thing- I don't understand why we aren't all hiding under our beds! And then there are all those posers who post on facebook and instagram and twitter and are so clever, and never have a hair out of place and have perfect houses and perfect children and perfect lives while I am drowning in laundry and have at one point or another gone to bed for days without brushing my teeth once the whole time. So there.

I guess they must all meditate and do alot of yoga.

DS
    Helpful Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes jaders, CrayonBox liked this post
    "The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us, but those who win battles we know nothing about."
    "The pain you feel today will be the STRENGTH you feel tomorrow."

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond repute
    Meditation is greatly helpful to me when I can "force" myself to do it consistently. It most definitely helps me with body tension and in just making my emotions feel less power over me. However, even better for me is getting out into nature. Hiking and being around animals, (especially dogs for me,) and getting away from the rat race is by far the most restorative medicine for myself and admittedly I enjoy being active more than I do the sitting part of meditation. The sitting is boring and that's a tough one for me...

I also agree that all our self talk is a big factor in our mood and how we see and "create" the world around us. I feel like one of my biggest faults is my judgmental thoughts, but I'm getting better at catching them, and then I follow up the judgement, if it's towards someone else, by wishing them love and light. I do really believe that idea that how we think, we become. I'll never forget once where I work, a woman with a tantrum-throwing toddler that was truly making me nuts and it went on and on. I kept thinking, geez can't you do something about this, and I was feeling quite angry. Then I finally thought to send her love and light and in just a few brief moments she took the kid outside (finally.) I know that sounds so pollyanna, but I just think there's an energy to our thoughts that can affect what happens in those moments. It's often very hard to remember this tho.

All I know for sure is that it isn't easy being a human and having to cope with our mind and thoughts...
    Helpful Krang, Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes CrayonBox, jakemoe liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

7. I've been looking into meditation for a while now. One of the most important things I've learned so far is that it is very important to pick the right kind of meditation to lessen anxiety and depression symptoms. Some studies show that certain types of meditation can actually make depression and anxiety worse!

Apparently Vipassana meditation is best for anxiety and depression. You can find a few articles about this on the interwebs. Unfortunately my post count isn't high enough to post links yet, but there's a good article about this on the site Mental Health Daily.
    Helpful Blackbird123 Rated helpful
    Likes CrayonBox, jaders liked this post
    “Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” -Joseph Heller

8. Quote Originally Posted by Kon1er1986 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has ever tried meditation for their anxiety disorder or issues? I recently in the past few months have been reading a lot about meditation and found that on some of my worse days if ai can find a quiet place and just keep myself as calm as possible sometimes meditation can help me a lot with my anxiety and worries. There is a great book called The Miracle of Mindfulness based on some Buddhist practices that I suggest for anyone looking to get into meditation or at least read about the benefits of it. Please feel free to share your experience with me if you feel like it. Thanks.
    YES!!! After 14 hours in the emergency room getting checked out for what i thought was a heart attack, the doctor told me I had had an anxiety attack.

A copy of The Mircale of Mindfulness had been coleectjng dust on the bookshelf for 6 years after gifting from my bro at Xmas, so I dusted it off and read it.

The gist of what I got out of it is not to try to meditate just a couple hours a week here and there, but to strive for a meditative state in all of the daily, repetitive, and mundane chores we all spend so much time doing..

It was a great manual, if I can call it that and really helped me with the anxiety, haven’t had an attack since.
    Likes CrayonBox, jaders, MAVpilgrim, jakemoe liked this post

CrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really niceCrayonBox is just really nice

I recently downloaded the Calm app on my phone so I could learn how to properly do breathing excercises. I like it so far. There are also some meditation sessions on there I’m going to look at next.
    Helpful Gullible Rated helpful
    Likes jaders, Krang, McChrystals_Pistol, jakemoe liked this post

10. Quote Originally Posted by CrayonBox View Post
    I recently downloaded the Calm app on my phone so I could learn how to properly do breathing excercises. I like it so far. There are also some meditation sessions on there I’m going to look at next.
    Yeah, the breathing is important. I got an Apple Watch recently that has a “breathing” exercise app, reminds me every hour to try and calm myself and focus on breathing. Sounds gimmicky, but it is actually very helpful.

Good luck with the meditation
    Helpful jaders Rated helpful
    Likes CrayonBox, MAVpilgrim liked this post

11. Hi, I suffer from very bad anxiety and it can be debilitating. This is my first post, not sure how to navigate the site yet but wanted to say good luck to you and introduce myself to the group
    Likes Krang, jaders, MAVpilgrim liked this post

12. Quote Originally Posted by Krang View Post

Apparently Vipassana meditation is best for anxiety and depression.
    I did a 10 day vipassana retreat that involved 10 hours meditation a day. It was tough. I am not convinced, personally, that vipassana is necessarily the 'best' technique -- I have formed the opinion that different minds benefit from different mental techniques. But the skill of mindfulness is undoubtedly very valuable when facing life challenges. And vipassana is good in that it is always about coming back to the breath. I kept up a regular daily practice for about a year, but as life got challenging, my practice kind of slipped - just when I needed it most. I think that may be a common experience?

Personally, I found it became hard to sit every day when I knew that I would be sitting watching my own anxious thoughts. I have become a master of distraction! For example I have spent many happy hours looking at and downloading meditation apps, yet somehow I never seem to start

I think the trick is incorporating the techniques into daily life. They do work, of that I am sure.
    Likes jaders, loveallpeople liked this post

13. @MAVpilrim Which meditation method or technique have you found to work best for your anxiety? I feel the same way, in that I find it very hard to meditate without all my anxious thoughts creeping in.
    Likes MAVpilgrim liked this post
    “Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” -Joseph Heller

14. Quote Originally Posted by Krang View Post
    @MAVpilrim Which meditation method or technique have you found to work best for your anxiety? I feel the same way, in that I find it very hard to meditate without all my anxious thoughts creeping in.
    The vipassana technique I found pretty fool proof, my only issue is that once you get involved with the organisation they discourage use of any alternative techniques. I was pretty into the whole underlying buddhist philosphy at the time and liked to learn the other techniques too, so I found vipassana a bit strict.

But the basic principles of vipassana I found helpful, returning to the breath, observing thoughts without pursuing them... always retunring to the breath when you inevitably do find yourself pursuing those thoughts...
    I am not a big fan of guided meditation, but the other buddhist retreat I went on had several of those, mainly aimed at generating compassion.

I find it easier to do walking meditations - just using techniques of mindfulness observation while walking. It keeps my anxiety down, whereas the sitting exercise has built up in my mind to be a really big deal.
    Helpful Krang, jaders Rated helpful

15. Thanks. I think I will look into vipassana meditation, and see if I can actually manage to sit still and quiet long enough for it to do me some good
    Likes MAVpilgrim liked this post

16. @Krang the techniques do work. Do remember to be kind to yourself when/if you find yourself 'failing' at it. There is no 'fail' - just observation. The mind is tricksy and will run away with itself - it needs to be bought back to the spot with patience and kindness.

And it is fine to start small - even committing to just 5 minutes is ok if it means that you can do it regularly. Its all about cultivating the habit. Best of luck!
    Hey, maybe I should go and follow my own advice. ...I will give it a go!
    Likes jaders liked this post

kindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to beholdkindness is a splendid one to behold

Insight Timer has great guided meditations!!

I also like doing the 4-7-8 breathing- literally one minute.
    Likes jakemoe liked this post
    "The famous psychiatrist and author of Man and His Symbols, Carl Jung, once said, 'The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul…'" Sean Lysaght

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Its easy to incorporate it into your daily life and its important. You don't need a special room, special place, special music, etc. When you are sitting in your easy chair simply relax and let go of all tension. Let your mind go over your body and any spots with tight muscles, let them relax. You can do that in traffic too, while at a stop light or even while driving. Take a breath and let it out gently letting go off all the stuff you don't need.

When you lie down for bed or about to get up or any other opportune time, go through the whole routine. First relax, then focus on your breathing, letting go of tension and so on. There are many techniques like telling yourself you are not your body, you are not the guilt you may feel, you are not the good or bad emotions you may experience. I tell myself I am not my mind, not my emotions. I then feel like a free floating spirit. Its good to focus on light, many things.

Positive affirmations help a lot. Tell yourself during the day, or during meditation that you are a good person, you are getting better and better every day in all ways. Say you no longer let little things bother you if that is one of your challenges. What you say you tend to believe so keep saying good things.

Dexter Smith is offline Banned Reason: Multiple forum accounts not allowed
    Dexter Smith will become famous soon enoughDexter Smith will become famous soon enough

weather its men or women for both meditation is good for health. one can feel good and spiritual. when i get up early morning finish my morning activities like taking bath, brushing teeth, and all then i sit for meditation. it really works to reduce to stress level. control my anxiety. i feel more aware about the things. it can also help in memory loss and control blood pressure.
    it is habitual process of training to control the mind from unnecessary thoughts. one can feel power inside the mind to fight with any disease if he or she is continuously attached with meditation.

Regards,
    Dexter.

jakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of lightjakemoe is a glorious beacon of light

Back in 1974 I learned Transcendental Meditation and I loved it, practicing for at least two years. Then I met my ex husband, got preggers and sort of forgot about it. Every now and then I remember how I used to feel while doing it and I vow to start again. I think I just keep forgetting about it. Maybe it would help me with my memory.
    Likes jaders, Gullible liked this post
    F**k the DEA

21. I have listened to people where meditation has help with their daily lives and stress. I have tried it a couple of times but I have the attention span of a Gnat and next thing I know I am off in left field. I know there is no perfection and quality comes with time but sometimes its just so hard to get started. Maybe one day I will be there.

22. Meditation to relieve anxiety?