Thread: Coinbase buyers and sellers a scam using your mobile number is in play.

Default Coinbase buyers and sellers a scam using your mobile number is in play.

It's blatantly obvious, but too make sure for some that are new to cryptocurrency, this needs to be posted.

Yesterday, I received a text message from a series of numbers, not a phone number or email address, just 20 random numbers telling me I had 1.8 BTC in my wallet. Which at yesterday's price would have been roughly 20k in coins.

I didn't touch the texts, or click on anything, and there was no activity on the card. I was hacked though in some manner. Make sure you're password is as strong as possible and write it down if you have to and keep it hidden, but can also be found.

That account is being deleted as I want no.further issues and Coinbase seems to be a jinx. IRS probes, draining people's accounts, credit card bailing on them, now this?

Fcuk Coinbase, I'm sticking with other sites that dont require everything but your dental records, fingerprints and a DNA swab to verify its you.

Pangaea
    Helpful dtek, wazup, Carter Rated helpful
    The direction of the eye, so misleading. The defection of the soul, nauseously quick. I don't question our existence. I just question our modern needs.

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Coinbase buyers and sellers a scam using your mobile number is in play.
    wazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to beholdwazup is a splendid one to behold

There are two ways to "crypto": anonymously, and not-anonymously.

Anonymously means you control the keys to your coins (keys are just a very long number, long enough that it's essentially impossible to generate the same number more than once). It means you get your bitcoins in a way that can't be traced back to your real world identity. Receiving bitcoins for doing anonymous work is one way. Going to a meetup and trading with a stranger (without letting them know who you are) is another way. Bitcoin was designed to be able to support these kind of *nearly anonymous* transactions. One of the main selling points is that you can "be your own bank" meaning you don't need permission to transact. You don't need to provide ID, you don't need to have your transactions cleared by a third party. All you need in order to receive bitcoin is a very large random number. You don't even need an electronic device, technically--you can (with great difficulty and tedium) generate a very large random number from your head and write it on paper. (Humans are bad at generating random numbers though, I should note).

The other way is the Coinbase way. You prove to Coinbase that you are an individual by providing sufficient identifying documentation, and in return, Coinbase, for a fee,
    provides you with the convenience of being able to buy and send bitcoin (fairly) easily using your bank account (and maybe still some credit cards). They also retain control of the keys to spend your bitcoin. This is good because many people don't understand how bitcoin is secured. If you took that very large random number I mentioned above, and lost it--your bitcoin would be gone forever. It sounds like hyperbole, but it's not. The keys are so large, that without some knowledge of the key before you lost it, you can't re-create it in any way. Coinbase, being a large company with a lot of funding, takes on this risk, and uses their resources to make sure your keys (funds) are safe. The downside is, you must trust Coinbase to be perfect.

Coinbase is not perfect. They sometimes get overwhelmed by their users and transactions get delayed. They are required to work with government agencies (IRS, FBI, etc.) if those agencies are looking for information (legally). There are in a position to get hacked, and have all of their customers bitcoin stolen (though they try very hard to prevent this, obviously). More importantly, your account, if it's not super locked down, is in a position to get hacked, so you are trading off the risk of you losing your own bitcoins, for the risk of you getting socially engineered or phished and losing your Coinbase bitcoins.

It's a tradeoff between convenience and security, always. I personally choose security every time. I never keep bitcoins on Coinbase. I buy them, and immediately send them to my own wallet, so I know that they bitcoins are mine, and can't be stolen (only lost, but I'm smart enough to not lose them).
    Helpful Carter Rated helpful
    Likes Pangaea, heliarc liked this post

crotalus will become famous soon enoughcrotalus will become famous soon enoughcrotalus will become famous soon enoughcrotalus will become famous soon enough

I have always used coinbase and traded on gdax due to convenience (And security o mom thought). Do you have recommendations for other options? I'm not sure how to have my own wallet... like owning my own wallet keys. How do i do this? I have researched alot online but there is so much overwhelming information out there. Thanks
    Likes Carter liked this post

Artknowsme has a spectacular aura aboutArtknowsme has a spectacular aura aboutArtknowsme has a spectacular aura aboutArtknowsme has a spectacular aura aboutArtknowsme has a spectacular aura aboutArtknowsme has a spectacular aura about

I had something similar, but not to the extend you did. I had wondered if there was some sort of leak going on, but thought nothing of it considering it didn't happen again. I figured it was a fluke and told myself I was safe...to hear it happened to someone else makes me realize there could of been something going on. I figure its just a cell number leak with no bank or other info included. They just want to get you to click the bait and get that from you later. I wouldn't be surprised if its some of the thirsty miners from CB...
    Likes Carter, Gullible liked this post
    Counting on someone else for your happiness is a recipe for premeditated disappointment.

Carter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond repute
    Carter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond repute
    @Artknowsme , off topic but I just noticed that your using of a big quote for your signature covers whatever Likes and/or Helpful's you receive.

@Pangaea (and @wazup )thanks for the info. I just saw this thread. Do you two (or anyone else) have any idea on whether or not coinbase has actually been hacked (i.e. an official announcement by Coinbase) in such a manner that some entity has gotten registered Coinbase's customers information. Sort sounds like it has, at least to some extent. History seems to show that in general that hacks are typically not immediately reported (whether it be a hack into some Govt. system like the IRS or OPM, or some commercial entity like Target, HD,...).
    Last edited by Carter; 1 Week Ago at 03:10 PM. Reason: Fix mention
    RULE 63: Don't Take Carter Too Seriously

Carter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond repute
    Carter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond reputeCarter has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post

Make sure you're password is as strong as possible and write it down if you have to and keep it hidden, but can also be found.

Sounds like "Carter's Username and Password Manager" would be perfect for you. Over 1 million sold to date. I use it myself and I can not even find my login credentials most of the time when I need to login into whatever.

This weeks special only $99.99 (plus S&H). Included are 1,000 yellow stickies, a box of pens, and detailed instructions (in 30 languages).

Payment method BTC of course.

Multitasking-Sticky-Notes.jpg

Just messing with you, sorry couldn't help it
    Likes Denman, Keith K Stone, Pangaea, heliarc liked this post

Denman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond reputeDenman has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahaha I suppose when paying with BTC its best done using Cartercomm's user friendly 56k dial up as well?
    You'd be great at a flea market auction @Carter

image.jpg
    Helpful Carter Rated helpful
    Likes Keith K Stone, heliarc liked this post
    See the young man sitting in the old man's bar, waiting for his turn to die...

@Carter Coinbase is a shit show. Hardly any if any CCs works with them. Then the IRS takes over the place going through records of those that have bought or sold 10k in coins. They say for tax purposes on a currency that has zero regulation, but big bro wants their taxes they will collect with simply trading, or using it not to buy a smile.ana a coke.

Thrn the internal fcuk up, where the drained people's accounts or maxed out their cards, and then this which was a one time deal, as far as I know.

Coinbase is a jinx and not run well whatsoever. They want everything but a DNA swab to prove its you. I stick with LBC I have a couple of guys I use in other countries. Wiring fees are $5-10 and I loose no more than $15 on the exchange rate. Downside west coast they are online at 3 a.m. east coast 6 a.m.. But thats why 24 hr convenience stores are quite useful.

Pangaea
    Last edited by Pangaea; 1 Week Ago at 07:01 PM.
    The direction of the eye, so misleading. The defection of the soul, nauseously quick. I don't question our existence. I just question our modern needs.

I agree @Pangaea , my latest coinbase rant is posted here Coinbase 72 hour hold
    Likes Pangaea liked this post

@Carter that seems to be the new standard with them. Since you have to go through your bank ot your CC company by some miracle lets you buy coins, there just goona sit there.

One guy on LBC cracks me up. His listing says: I'll sell you coins no matter what your planning on using them for. Drugs, gambling, paying the pimp when you're time is up, and it just goes on.

He gave me his cell number told me to call him day or night forget LBC, he'll send straight to my personal wallet. Only thing is it's international number and I dont have an international plan nor can I figure out how the hell to add him to What's App. Ah well...

Pangaea

Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond repute
    The payment part is tricky especially with 2 different countries involved. If you are buying through lbc then you are protected by escrow. Do you have skype? You can text or call for free
    Helpful Keith K Stone, Denman Rated helpful
    Likes Carter, Pangaea liked this post

@Gullible I didn't think of Skype, thank you for the reminder. LBC itself will always be safer than p2p trades because of the escrow.

I have never bought coins from anyone in America before on LBC, in fact it's now illegal for cash buys for me and anyone else in the state and Washington state as well.

I always get the best rate from sellers in Colombia, oddest place I've sent funds was Mongolia. LBC is the one place I've never had an issue with.

Pangaea

14. Coinbase buyers and sellers a scam using your mobile number is in play.