NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1022 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My dogs losing use of back legs

Blue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant future

I think you may be right about over-vaccinating. My bff's poor little Maltese ended up in doggie ICU for almost a week after a vaccination (I can't remember which one). She was treated as a poisoning case. She was a young and healthy little dear but ever since she has not been particularly healthy or lively. She also has to take prednisone for the rest of her (most likely) shortened life. It's very sad! I still vaccinate my dog with the basics but never for unnecessary stuff like kennel cough since he's never kenneled. I monitor him very closely after every vaccine or meds given.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeliver View Post
    I had some very interesting conversations and then a LOT of research myself. A lot!. Has it occurred to you that what we think are "best practices" might not actually be that?

I had a vet (since retired and now teaches at two vet schools) who has come to belief that we are over vaccinating our pets. The vaccines actually have zero research in them as to the length and effectiveness. He believes that most rabies shots don't need to be renewed for 10 years. There was zero proof as to why they needed to be given yearly - other than the drug company said to. The 1 year rabies vaccine contains the exact same dosage and ingredients as the 3 year vaccine. My guy suggests going with blood titers for antibodies because the vaccines are causing the same auto-immune diseases in pets that they do in people. And cancer. And seizures. And rage. Yes, rage.

And neutering and spaying before the hormones have had a chance to let the pet develop their bodies is the other big issue. Torn acl's are being caused by the ligaments and tendons not being given the chance to develop properly. In fact, my orthopedic knee surgeon and I discussed this and he said it makes perfect sense - they don't operate for certain conditions in human kids until after puberty for the same reason. After having watched a beautiful border collie deteriorate because of 2 torn acl's, I begged the Rescue Organization to allow me - with new pet - to not spay until after 1st heat.

Btw, if your pet is suffering with joint issues (even torn ACL's), Homeopet brand drops called "Joint Stress" WILL help. And Muttknee brace is the best instead of surgery. We couldn't operate bc at 14, the risks were too high and cost was $4000 minimum. We got her on her feet and she lived a decent life. Would come to me to have me put brace on in the morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Rimadyl must be used cautiously. It causes seizures.
    Likes Lifeliver liked this post
    "It's difficult to believe in yourself because the idea of self is an artificial construction. You are, in fact, part of the glorious oneness of the universe. Everything beautiful in the world is within you" -Russell Brand

Blue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant futureBlue Flowers has a brilliant future

@drama84 Are you still out there? I just really wanted to know how your Chow is doing. I'm hoping you found the cause and it was curable or fixable. I wanted to mention that my current Chow is still pretty young with no issues but my last dog was half Chow and she developed arthritis at 5 or 6 that was easily managed with pretty inexpensive meds from the vet. So I'm just hoping your big teddy bear has something minor like that. God Bless you and all the doggies!
    "It's difficult to believe in yourself because the idea of self is an artificial construction. You are, in fact, part of the glorious oneness of the universe. Everything beautiful in the world is within you" -Russell Brand

Lifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of light

@Blueflowers. The problem with vaccines is that a time dog like a Maltese will get same dose as a Saint Bernard! It's the only medication they approach this way! Crazy as one size does NOT fit all!! There is a new video series coming up next year called the Truth About Cancer for Pets but it will touch I all areas of pet health! Raw Goats milk (primal Pet is one brand) has been found to be immensely nutritive and healing for pets. We always give it when our is sickly.
    Helpful Blue Flowers Rated helpful

Interesting about sizes and doses, I asked my friend if they have a formula for giving different doses depending on wt. She wasn't sure. Geez, you'd think that would be common sense like with almost all of the vet meds our babies get. How sad! Do you know if Raw Goats Milk is helpful for Mast Cell Tumors by any chance? When my last dog had it, I researched nutrition and homeopathic remedies before having to take the medical and surgical route. I was at my wits end about how to save my baby. Long story....anyway I'll look forward to seeing that series!

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute
    I don't give ANY vaccinations to my dogs after the initial first year stuff. I personally think it's a COMPLETE racket and my dog is 12. She's never had the kennel cough vaccine and has been exposed many times without getting it herself. Even if they do get it it's similar to a cold in humans and goes away on its own.

If I couldn't afford the vet and my dogs back legs were getting wobbly I would self administer either rimadyl or metacam daily and Tramadol as needed. It's easy to find the correct dosage on google and all the meds can be had thru iops. That a script is required is like requiring a human to need a script for ibuprofen. It's another racket IMHO ... I think you'd be surprised at how much these meds help and if they don't then you are looking at something more serious most likely. Good luck!
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

Lifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of lightLifeliver is a glorious beacon of light

Raw Goats milk is very nutrient rich. Don't know if it will cure mast cells or not. Homeopet brand drops are what we turn to for "first aid". Coconut oil daily - just put it in her food - she loves it - and we do a small amount of Diamateous Earth in her food for worms. My biggest problem - even with the high quality food? Shedding!! Ugh. I am so ready for colder weather with this pup!!!

7. We may be over vaccinating but the rabies shot is always good to keep up to date, if your dog ever bites anyone it could save its life.

COSGringo is offline Banned Reason: Reluctantly had to kick off COSGringo because he became consistently belligerent
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by drama84 View Post
    My chow chow is losing his power in hiss back legs and maybe hip. Can I give him any meds. I gave him glucosamine but no difference and I'm heart broken
    So I am so sorry and I can relate. My 11+ Bernese lover dog is having hind issues. Arthritis and a bad spine now.

What I find helps some is the following:

Carporfen up to B.I.D. (generic Rimadyl) but you do have to get a liver test done to be sure your doggie can take it. - Doggie pill treats
    Gabapentin O.D. - Doggie pill treats
    Glucosamine O.D. (Dasuquin) Try some of that fake cheez spray to get your chow to eat it

Try daily walks but VERY SHORT. In the hopes it will build up muscle and not let your Chow get to weak and tight from laying around.

I went through this a few years ago and my doggie got better for quite some time and I let off on the meds. She's back with it and worse than ever.
    I do see some improvement a few weeks later.

You have to stick to the routine.
    It's what works for my doggie without surgery and such. My dog is too old and it's just not worth it no matter how much I love her. It's not fair to her to have her get surgery now.

Keep her pain down and keep her happy.

Hope you have a good bed. Not sure I saw that. Get a firm foam bed- PetSmart or something.
    Acupuncture is another option. I was told to do that. I may still but I am seeing some improvement and $ is a bit of a issue as I am loaded with personal medical bills. When it rains it pours.

Massage can't hurt and you can do that on your Chow's hind side. Just a relaxing massage can make for a happy doggie.

If you have wood floors and such and your dog is losing grip, get booties.
    I can tell you a good brand if you need one. They are nice people and reliable.

So gabapentin for humans is the same. I checked and as long as what you have or can get does not have Xylitol or sweetners in the binders- you're fine.
    Carprofen is not the cheapest but you can get a scrip and order online possibly cheaper. There's a place on the west coast I can look up o see for you. Same for the Dasuquin. I would get that from that west coast place I've used. Some kind of labs? I have to look into it. They were more affordable and quick.

Don't expect glucosamine to do wonders. Also, you have to stick with it. I such the other meds at least carprofen- it's just an NSAID but it helps inflammation and pain. Also, the short walks, massage, and booties if your little doggie has problem on some surfaces.

I can could go on...

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12