Thread: large dog with pain

Default large dog with pain

i have a large Dog and he is fragile and i cant give him much due to any pain meds i give him it just upsets him stomach. anyone have any ideas for a natural medication that wont put a dog in more pain than he is already in or not to bad of side effects? he only gets up twice per day otherwise he just stays on his couch. This is my kid.

TBM
    Helpful Ringmaster Rated helpful
    Likes Gullible, trish5959, songsiren liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    davidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond repute
    davidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond reputedavidpaul has a reputation beyond repute
    @Tbm

Have the vet prescribe him some tramadol, it's the exact same as we use and it's probably the easiest pk on the stomach around, it's even prescribed for stomach pain sometimes. When I had bleeding ulcers it was all the doctor would prescribe to me.
    Likes Outofideas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by davidpaul View Post
    @Tbm

Have the vet prescribe him some tramadol, it's the exact same as we use and it's probably the easiest pk on the stomach around, it's even prescribed for stomach pain sometimes. When I had bleeding ulcers it was all the doctor would prescribe to me.
    I will research this. thank you for your suggestion.

TBM

So sorry to hear this @ Tbm. Get back to the vet as @Dav ipaul says. I feel for you as my two mutts are also my kids.
    Likes davidpaul, Tbm, songsiren liked this post

Ringmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura about

@Tbm the same thing happened with my black lab. Poor thing broke its hind legs chasing after a duck. The vet prescribed tramadol, as was suggested already. I put it in his food and he was noticeably better after the first dose. He even came out hunting with me :-) (I didn’t let him chase anything though). Tramadol would be my recommendation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
    @Tbm the same thing happened with my black lab. Poor thing broke its hind legs chasing after a duck. The vet prescribed tramadol, as was suggested already. I put it in his food and he was noticeably better after the first dose. He even came out hunting with me :-) (I didn’t let him chase anything though). Tramadol would be my recommendation as well.
    Thank you for the advice. Did it upset his stomach?

TBM
    Helpful davidpaul Rated helpful

songsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud ofsongsiren has much to be proud of

@Tbm , I agree, tramadol. My brothers German Shepherd had bad hips and arthritis so painful that he wouldn't sit or lie down. Poor baby... Tram was the only thing that helped him. It didn't upset his stomach. Mixing with food is probably best. Good luck with your baby..
    Your beginning never dictates your destination...

jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen that show Dr Jeff rocky mt vet? He’s the mother Teresa of vets. Anyway he recommends cbd oil as well for pain medication in dogs. I also just started my dog on metacam. It’s a liquid and has already helped her, but you may already be familiar with it? It’s an nsaid so it may affect your dogs stomach. It’s supposed to be easy on stomachs tho for an anti inflammatory.

Good luck!!
    Helpful Moon Shade, Utopiate Rated helpful
    Likes trish5959 liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

My older dog has severe stomach issues and takes tramadol every day no problem. He also goes to the vet for cold laser on his joints and that seems to work as well. And I put a heating pad on low setting for 20 minutes every night.
    Helpful jaders, trish5959 Rated helpful

We've been using CBD with one of our dogs for arthritis. Not sure if its working though. We're getting to the point where I'm not sure if she would keep her in pain anymore. It's so sad.
    Likes trish5959 liked this post

Ringmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura aboutRingmaster has a spectacular aura about

He was on it for the duration of his recovery, and he never had any problems eating or with digestion. Of course, dogs are different, so ask the vet. I’ve heard good successes with CBD too.
    Helpful trish5959 Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ethom View Post
    We've been using CBD with one of our dogs for arthritis. Not sure if its working though. We're getting to the point where I'm not sure if she would keep her in pain anymore. It's so sad.
    It is bloody tragic when you have to decide what's in the best interest of your little mate. It would have to be one of the worst decisions we have to make. All the best.

Moon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Shade has a reputation beyond repute
    Moon Shade has a reputation beyond repute
    Please take your dog to the vet and let him/her decide what to prescribe. There are several options, if one doesn't work.
    I worry when people self medicate their animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Shade View Post
    Please take your dog to the vet and let him/her decide what to prescribe. There are several options, if one doesn't work.
    I worry when people self medicate their animals.
    I totally agree. Drs can rx 2-3 different medications that work on different pain receptors..
    Never give Advil...Tylenol.....or Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by NB12345 View Post
    I totally agree. Drs can rx 2-3 different medications that work on different pain receptors..
    Never give Advil...Tylenol.....or Alive.
    so my other hound had a tumor cut off his tail last week. it isn't in pain anymore. my other hound cut his foot open last night and got the bleeding stopped and cleaned and he kept crying. i gave him the dogs tumor surgery pain meds one does and he was out walking around. i hate playing Dr only problem is now that hound has gas and is dropping biscuits. i put him in the room with wife she can deal with it.

Dont call PETA. these pups are all i got.

TBM
    Peace and Love

17. I think the best bet is always to take your pet to the vet and let them make the call, however I have an 18 year old mutt and she is my "furry kid".
    She got pneumonia at 4 years of age and the vet gave me keflex antibiotic and cataflam (NSAID) pain reliever.
    The keflex alone cost $178 for a two week supply! I can't remember how much the cataflam cost.
    When she would get the coughing and not feeling well, I'd purchase the exact amount of keflex from an online vendor and titrate DHC at 2-4 mgs and she has made it to 18.
    CBP oil is not available or I'd given her that. I didn't know about tramadol and that's good to know in the future.
    Likes jaders liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Rick View Post
    I think the best bet is always to take your pet to the vet and let them make the call, however I have an 18 year old mutt and she is my "furry kid".
    She got pneumonia at 4 years of age and the vet gave me keflex antibiotic and cataflam (NSAID) pain reliever.
    The keflex alone cost $178 for a two week supply! I can't remember how much the cataflam cost.
    When she would get the coughing and not feeling well, I'd purchase the exact amount of keflex from an online vendor and titrate DHC at 2-4 mgs and she has made it to 18.
    CBP oil is not available or I'd given her that. I didn't know about tramadol and that's good to know in the future.

When ur rx'd a human drug. Like cephaloxin......ask for a written Rx. And price shop. Usually u can get it in the 4 to 5 dollar range.
    Good rx is a good place to start.
    Helpful msmac Rated helpful

19. Quote Originally Posted by NB12345 View Post
    When ur rx'd a human drug. Like cephaloxin......ask for a written Rx. And price shop. Usually u can get it in the 4 to 5 dollar range.
    Good rx is a good place to start.
    Thanks so much for the advice!!

20. large dog with pain