Thread: CBD for joint pain in dogs

1. Default CBD for joint pain in dogs

I have a 155 pound Caucasian Ovcharka (look the breed up on Google) that is 9 years old. Being that large she suffers from quite a bit of joint pain. It is primarily her hips, but also her knees and wrists of her front paws. I have experimented with giving her different forms of CBD. I have tried oil, and treats with CBD in them, and I have tried CBD fr marijuana plants when I lived in a state where it was legal, and CBD from hemp plants. There was definitely an improvement in her activity level and demeanor when given any form of CBD, but she seemed to have th most benefit from CBD oil made directly from marijuana plants instead of hemp. I'm guessing this is because marijuana plants used for CBD have been selectively bred to have higher levels of it. I also noticed a difference in her level of separation anxiety, which drastically improved with CBD.
    Helpful Bawston, calgal99, Binky Rated helpful
    It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you

calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    calgal99 has a reputation beyond reputecalgal99 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
    I have a 155 pound Caucasian Ovcharka (look the breed up on Google) that is 9 years old. Being that large she suffers from quite a bit of joint pain. It is primarily her hips, but also her knees and wrists of her front paws. I have experimented with giving her different forms of CBD. I have tried oil, and treats with CBD in them, and I have tried CBD fr marijuana plants when I lived in a state where it was legal, and CBD from hemp plants. There was definitely an improvement in her activity level and demeanor when given any form of CBD, but she seemed to have th most benefit from CBD oil made directly from marijuana plants instead of hemp. I'm guessing this is because marijuana plants used for CBD have been selectively bred to have higher levels of it. I also noticed a difference in her level of separation anxiety, which drastically improved with CBD.
    Holy moley, you have a pony!!! (j/k, what a beautiful breed!!!) I tried my pup with hemp-based CBD for severe allergies, and didn't seem to see any difference in his comfort level. CBD from mj is supposed to become legal here later this year, maybe a slightly higher THC % in the product will help him more. As it stands, he either scratches and gets ear infections all the time, or he has to get regular steroid meds, which is *really bad*. And his breed does develop joint issues, just not until they're older, don't want to speed it along with prednisone.
    Helpful Binky Rated helpful

3. I know this is an older thread, but for anyone who might read it... cbd oil with thc has been a godsend for my dog. He’s almost 17 and suffers from a Chiari Malformation and Syringomyelia. Basically what it means is that his brain has a fluid filled pocket and it’s causing the brain to be pushed down into the brain stem in the neck. It’s also caused fluid filled pockets in his spine between the vertebrae. These are both very painful conditions. He takes gabapentin for the pain but it wasn’t doing enough and he was still having seizures.

I was out in CA several months ago and visited a dispensary. I saw that they had cbd with a small amount of thc and I decided to give it a try. He previously had cbd dog bones but they didn’t do much.

The first time I gave it to him he seemed to calm down and eventually took a restful nap... no tossing and turning and rubbing his head on his bed. As I began giving it to him twice a day I noticed he wasn’t having seizures the way he used to. Yes he had one here and there, but they were short and he bounced back quickly.

Fast forward to now and I travel out to CA every few months to get him his medicine. His neurologist even wrote a letter for me to carry, basically as close to a script as he could write. He said he’s seen so many animals bounce back from neurological issues, arthritis, and separation anxiety when using the cbd that has a touch of thc in it.

Cbd that can be bought over the internet is made from hemp. It’s uncontrolled and who knows what’s really in it. A recreational mj state regulates all the mj products. That means they’re all tested at labs and the results are available at the dispensaries. So if you’re going to buy cbd made from hemp, at the very least make sure the company has current lab results for you to see.
    Helpful SoTired, djrick Rated helpful
    Likes RunRunRiver liked this post

SoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant futureSoTired has a brilliant future

I'm sorry I did not know about this when my dog was still around.

Mind you, I administered him liquid melatonin every day, and it gave him five years of good quality life. He didn't want to walk as long as he used too, but then, he WAS getting older. At least, he did not display any sings of being in pain after I put him on melatonin. He lived to be happy for 17 years.

I think I'm going to try the CBD for my own bones. I already have hemp hearts at least one a day with a meal. I can't say it makes any difference with joint pain or relaxation, but it's high in proteins and fibres, and it curves my appetite.

The hemp hearts that I get are grown in Manitoba. I buy them at COSTCO but they are are largely available in food stores across Canada. I can't say about the USA.

Take care.

ST
    Helpful windowpane Rated helpful
    Some perfume always lingers on the hand that offers flowers.

5. I have a dog myself.
    My friends dog, passed away due to cancer. She read about how RSO oil or FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil) can help reduce the cancer.
    She tried to give to the dog, but honestly, did not know the dosage to give to the dog. So she quit the remedy, and just ended up putting the dog to sleep.

I tried to research more about the dosages. And could not decipher what I would find.

If you where to give Oils to your dog. How would you dose it. would it be like 1ml .5ml? .25ml?

6. We put my dog down a few months ago at age 16. His quality of life wasn’t getting better. Anyway, we gave him cbd with a little bit of THC oil ratio. We tried the straight cbd but it wasn’t as effectual. Once we switched (our dog walker bought it for us), he ate more and seemed more comfortable. We started giving some to our healthy dog and it mellowed him out haha. I’m all for it. The dog pharmaceajticals were way to strong for my small pups so I’m glad we found cbd

- - - Updated - - -

Start small and work your way up. I’d go with the .25 and redose in an hour or so. Depends on dog size too bc mine are small dogs under 20 pounds

- - - Updated - - -

Start small and work your way up. I’d go with the .25 and redose in an hour or so. Depends on dog size too bc mine are small dogs under 20 pounds
    Helpful LuckyIrish Rated helpful

CBD w THC provides some benefits for dogs with cancer and acute inflammatory injuries. Not so much for chronic inflammatory. There’s actually a calc (my vet gave it to me) to determine how much thc which I can’t find right now....I wrote it down on a sticky and it’s someplace where I don’t know where it is. Anyway, I’ll look for it and post if I find it. If anyone else knows it, please share!

liztaylor will become famous soon enoughliztaylor will become famous soon enough

We had our dog on Metacam after she starting having joint pain. I kid you not, it was like she was reborn for about 2 years. Some docs warned that it would hurt her liver but her quality of life for those last 2 years was amazing. After that she started to suffer old age and eventually passed at 16. I vote for Metacam.
    Henri Matisse: “Creativity takes courage"

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.