Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port of Entry Initiative

1. Default Port of Entry Initiative

I ran across an article from Reuters titled “House Panel Questions FDA's Track Record Combating Illegal Opioids.” (I would post the link, but am unsure about the link policy on the forum—googling should bring up the article)

In the article it says that:

“From the end of September 2017 through January 2018, of about 5,800 suspicious packages that FDA inspected through its port of entry initiative, 376 were controlled substances such as opioids, and were referred back to Customs and Border Patrol for seizure.”

So they only examined 5,800 packages in over a year? That just seems really low, there must be hundreds of thousands of overseas drug orders coming in over a year. So in some ways, this is encouraging, as the odds of getting stopped seem pretty low. But OTOH, I don’t know how this “initiative” fits in to the overall picture of border inspections.

And while I am happy for the apparent lameness of these inspection efforts, I am also mystified as to why they haven’t already modernized the efficiency of these operations. It seems there are funding/manpower issues, but even so, it’s just weird.
    Helpful pearlsjam Rated helpful

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    Port of Entry Initiative
    Gullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond reputeGullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Gullible has a reputation beyond repute
    Sept to jan would be about 4 months so maybe 16,000 or 17,000 in a year. I agree that is low since there are probably at least a million packages in a year from overseas
    Likes PaisleyDaisy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gullible View Post
    Sept to jan would be about 4 months so maybe 16,000 or 17,000 in a year. I agree that is low since there are probably at least a million packages in a year from overseas
    From USPS.. I heard NY ISC can get up to 1 million mail parcels every few days. Needle in a haystack.

"About 621 million pieces of international mail entered the U.S. from foreign countries in fiscal year (FY) 2016. More than 95 percent of this mail was accepted by the U.S. Postal Service at one of its five International Service Centers (ISC) in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago. The remaining segment was mostly accepted at either the Honolulu Processing and Distribution Center or the New Jersey International Network Distribution Center."
    Helpful Blackbird123, blueroan17 Rated helpful
    Likes PaisleyDaisy, Moon Shade liked this post

deephouse will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by PaisleyDaisy View Post
    And while I am happy for the apparent lameness of these inspection efforts, I am also mystified as to why they haven’t already modernized the efficiency of these operations. It seems there are funding/manpower issues, but even so, it’s just weird.
    Modern technology only gets them so far. There are simply too many international packages entering the country for the border agencies to do a serious inspection of more than a tiny fraction of them. Inbound mail processing would grind to a halt if they tried to scrutinize each and every package.

jaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud of

Well I don’t know. Lately they seem to be doing a damn good job at LA. Myself and several others here have been losing orders right and left. I sure believe there’s SOMETHING new going on. I only wish and pray that this isn’t the “new normal...”
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

TexasChris will become famous soon enoughTexasChris will become famous soon enoughTexasChris will become famous soon enough

Wow. That number is surprisingly low. I would have thought those numbers to be much higher.

surten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nicesurten is just really nice

Curious, did the initiative say it was taking places at all points of entry?

jaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud ofjaders has much to be proud of

I read the article and it said: In testimony in March, Gottlieb talked about efforts at the FDA to combat the crisis, including stopping the importation of dangerous non-FDA approved opioids by last year tripling the number of FDA investigators at U.S. mail facilities and doubling the number of agents stationed at U.S. ports of entry to prevent illegal drugs from hitting the streets.

The article also mentioned that lawmakers questioned that the FDA wasn't doing enough to combat dangerous opioids, including Kratom. Yeah, that's a dangerous one. If these idiots actually had an effin' clue, they'd KEEP Kratom legal as it actually HELPS some folks end their opioid dependency.

Our freedoms just keep getting eroded here in this country. In another post on PR, there was mention of a new bill to allow the USPS to open "suspicious" packages WITHOUT a warrant. That's like saying, the cops can come in your house now just based on suspicion - nothing else. Wow!

How did we get here? We're letting our own government run amuck with our rights. I continue to be baffled by what is going on in this country...
    Helpful tzabcan Rated helpful
    Likes PaisleyDaisy, Mrs Parker liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jaders View Post
    I read the article and it said: In testimony in March, Gottlieb talked about efforts at the FDA to combat the crisis, including stopping the importation of dangerous non-FDA approved opioids by last year tripling the number of FDA investigators at U.S. mail facilities and doubling the number of agents stationed at U.S. ports of entry to prevent illegal drugs from hitting the streets.

The article also mentioned that lawmakers questioned that the FDA wasn't doing enough to combat dangerous opioids, including Kratom. Yeah, that's a dangerous one. If these idiots actually had an effin' clue, they'd KEEP Kratom legal as it actually HELPS some folks end their opioid dependency.

Our freedoms just keep getting eroded here in this country. In another post on PR, there was mention of a new bill to allow the USPS to open "suspicious" packages WITHOUT a warrant. That's like saying, the cops can come in your house now just based on suspicion - nothing else. Wow!

How did we get here? We're letting our own government run amuck with our rights. I continue to be baffled by what is going on in this country...
    You have to be vigilant and stay active and aware. Politicians are brainless amoebas. Most of them are bribe takers and pedophiles (yes, that includes you, Uncle Joe B.) that are controlled and blackmailed by unseen powers at the very top of the "pyramid". For that reason, few of them know or care about the Bill of Rights or the Constitution in general. In fact, I'll bet most of them could not name 3 of the 10 amendments in the Bill of Right or care one iota about same. They let their handlers do their thinking for them. They lead comfortably numb lives while their constituents are beaten to the margins. If they wake up and have the temerity to get out of line, they get whacked. There are a lot of mysterious 'suicides" inside the beltway.

Public schools do not teach the Constitution. Instead, they teach a top-down agenda-driven curriculum called "Common Core", which is pretty much the standard fare in all states, except those that have rejected it. If you're not familiar with it, look it up and you will be appalled at some of the stuff being taught.

The march toward fascism continues.
    Likes Morals, unique liked this post
    Just Say "NO!" to Big Government

11. Quote Originally Posted by Gullible View Post
    Oops, you’re right. Somehow I added a whole year and was seeing it at a year and 4 months.

12. Quote Originally Posted by surten View Post
    Curious, did the initiative say it was taking places at all points of entry?
    There was no mention of which points of entry in the article I read.

But I’ve just now seen another report saying that the House has passed a bill that will require the post office to get “advanced electronic data” or AED much in the same way that private transport companies do, and then they have to send that info to customs. The bill is being referred to as the Stop Act. Not good.
    Likes Gullible liked this post

blueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by PaisleyDaisy View Post
    There was no mention of which points of entry in the article I read.

But I’ve just now seen another report saying that the House has passed a bill that will require the post office to get “advanced electronic data” or AED much in the same way that private transport companies do, and then they have to send that info to customs. The bill is being referred to as the Stop Act. Not good.
    What does that mean, exactly, "advanced electronic data"? And how is it collected in order to be forwarded to customs?
    Like a Bolt from the Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by blueroan17 View Post
    What does that mean, exactly, "advanced electronic data"? And how is it collected in order to be forwarded to customs?
    Came across this document while searching out what "advanced electronic data" meant. Interesting, if you can read boring writing...
    https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/686377.pdf

One of the happiest statistics to me was that the amount of mail coming into the US internationally has increased by 54% from 2012 to 2016. This statistic will only increase a lot more, IMHO, as more and more folks are buying over the internet and getting many items from other countries. (Personally I buy almost everything over the net these days.) Hoping that the sheer numbers makes screening for simple prescription drugs a complete waste of resources (which it is, again IMHO.) Yeah, let them go after the fentanyl. That drug seems pretty seriously dangerous. I also read elsewhere that they have a problem even using dogs to sniff it out as it can kill the dog too easily if they get a big "sniff." They actually have had to use naloxone on a few dogs who had this happen...
    Likes blueroan17, pearlsjam liked this post

MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    Wow, Khat was the number 1 drug seized! Got to try that :-) LOL!

“Marijuana seeds concealed within a pair of men’s festive fun socks” - those sly devils!
    Likes Mrs Parker, jaders liked this post
    Art of the Moron.

blueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to beholdblueroan17 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by jaders View Post
    Came across this document while searching out what "advanced electronic data" meant. Interesting, if you can read boring writing...
    https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/686377.pdf

One of the happiest statistics to me was that the amount of mail coming into the US internationally has increased by 54% from 2012 to 2016. This statistic will only increase a lot more, IMHO, as more and more folks are buying over the internet and getting many items from other countries. (Personally I buy almost everything over the net these days.) Hoping that the sheer numbers makes screening for simple prescription drugs a complete waste of resources (which it is, again IMHO.) Yeah, let them go after the fentanyl. That drug seems pretty seriously dangerous. I also read elsewhere that they have a problem even using dogs to sniff it out as it can kill the dog too easily if they get a big "sniff." They actually have had to use naloxone on a few dogs who had this happen...
    Holy mother of god.
    How in the world did we get from what are supposed to be the VERY limited powers of the federal govt to this arcane & unending horseshit?!
    Imagine the hundreds, maybe thousands of man-hours invested in dreaming up & implementing this gigantic scavenger hunt. Not to mention the amount of money spent: your tax dollars at work, yay! It would be funny...if prisons and gulags were imaginary entities. But they're not, so it isn't.
    Thanks, @jaders... I guess, lol.
    Likes Mrs Parker, jaders liked this post
    Like a Bolt from the Blue!

17. I was also just reading about the Stop Act in the Washington Post. Here's the main point of what the article said:

A 2002 federal law requires private shippers such as UPS and FedEx to obtain advanced electronic data, or AED, including the names and addresses of senders and recipients on packages, plus details about the parcels’ contents. This facilitates screening and identification, ultimately deterring drug suppliers abroad. But the U.S. Postal Service, which receives 340 million packages from abroad annually, is still exempt. This had to do with the costs of compliance for the financially troubled Postal Service and the potential for conflict with other nations’ postal systems. As of 2017, the United States had persuaded counterparts abroad to supply AED on more than 40 percent of mail entering the United States, but that mostly reflected enhanced cooperation from Europe and Canada, not China.

The so-called Stop Act, backed by lawmakers from some of the states hardest hit by the fentanyl epidemic, including Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), would require the Postal Service to obtain AED on international mail shipments and transmit it to Customs and Border Patrol on at least 70 percent of international mail arriving to the United States by Dec. 31 and 100 percent by Dec. 31, 2020. Importantly, the Postal Service must refuse shipments for which AED is not furnished.

Essentially, this could allow customs to know the contents of every package coming into the US before it arrives. So then they can just flag suspicious packages in the system. When those packages are scanned at customs, they can be pulled aside and searched or seized. I could see some vendors deciding it's not worth it to ship to the USA anymore. Hopefully this will mainly just affect shipments from China, where most of the fentanyl comes from. Personally, I would never order anything from China anyway, but that's just me. In order to be prepared though, I will probably stock up on things I need before this bill gets passed so I won't have to worry about making any orders for a while.
    Likes pearlsjam liked this post

18. The UK post office is looking to bring in this requirement for electronic pre-advice data, As far as I can tell it only applies to business customers
    I can't post the link because I don't have enough posts on here but Googling should bring it up
    Here is a bit of info from the website:

Electronic data requirement
    1. Several countries including the US, China, Russia and Brazil have begun to request electronic pre -advice data
    and in some cases are applying penalties for not providing it or prioritising processing of items with pre -
    advice data. The US reserves the right to refuse entry to these items.
    2. The deadline for implementation of the (European) Union Customs Code, which includes legislation requiring
    electronic pre-advice data, is at the end of 2020.
    3. The opportunity to provide your overseas customers with a smooth first time delivery experience is
    dependent on us having their contact details as many countries do not have the same quality of addressing
    that we have in the UK.
    4. Future enhancements including free automatic customer notifications, choice of delivery address and
    delivery duty paid can only be possible with recipient contact details.

MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    MRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond reputeMRNUTTY has a reputation beyond repute
    Really AED is nothing more than the already existing information on a customs form in electronic. And if you think about it, that information is no more useful for stopping packages than CallerID is useful for stopping phony phone calls, and look how many of those are successfully avoided? I get faked phone calls 5 every day that robocaller services can’t mask. The same strategies that foil that software can foil AED. Even image recognition software can’t improve on that by much. Rapid cycling spoofed addresses and customs form notation - i.e. AED - and packaging would make identifying package trends highly improbable. SAD!
    Likes jaders, Keith K Stone liked this post
    Art of the Moron.

To me the greatest threat to our shipments is dog-sniffing. I don't know how you get around that. I have a dog who's "programmed" to find rodents. She's NEVER wrong...
    Helpful MRNUTTY Rated helpful

@jaders I read somewhere, maybe here, you can't put dogs on conveyor belts. They get very confused. So I would not worry about it unless you are order huge boxes of meds, which I am sure you are not. My best, M
    Likes Moon Shade liked this post
    Listen to the LOVE. Inspired by Harry Irene (2015)

22. Port of Entry Initiative
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast