Thread: Computer advice needed.

amy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura about

Default Computer advice needed.

Hi, My computer is old and keeps not working, giving me the dreaded blue screen and other problems, so I do not know how much longer it will continue. The signs are not looking good!
    I don't know anything about computers and have tried to do some research into new ones which are not too expensive.
    Mine is 17" which I would like to keep, as my eye sight is not great and I value the extra screen size!
    So I was wondering as I know that I can read reviews on amazon about computers but still feel lost and value people's unbiased input and
    experience and knowledge of the computers they like/are using and brands they think and good and ones to avoid, as I would appreciate
    to hear others stories of what computers they like and have been good and what is best avoided.
    Mine is an HP vista and the man in the computer shop will not touch them as says they are made with cheap parts, yet mine has lasted for years!
    So more confusion! Any ideas, advice, tips would be appreciated. Thanks for ploughing through this and getting this far if you have stuck it out!
    Last edited by amy43; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:48 PM.
    Likes CrayonBox liked this post

Dear visitor, If you are looking for an online pharmacy please take a look at the following pharmacies in our Top Rated section. Each one has genuine, uncensored feedback from real users.
    jaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond reputejaders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by amy43 View Post
    Hi, My computer is old and keeps not working, giving me the dreaded blue screen and other problems.
    I don't know anything about computers and have tried to do some research into new ones which are not too expensive.
    Mine is 17" which I would like to keep, as my eye sight is not great and I value the extra screen size!
    So I was wondering as I know that I can read reviews on amazon about computers but still feel lost and value people's unbiased input and
    experience and knowledge of the computers they like/are using and brands they think and good and ones to avoid, as I would appreciate
    to hear others stories of what computers they like and have been good and what is best avoided.
    Mine is an HP vista and the man in the computer shop will not touch them as says they are made with cheap parts, yet mine has lasted for years!
    So more confusion! Any ideas, advice, tips would be appreciated. Thanks for ploughing through this and getting this far if you have stuck it out!
    All I can tell you is I've had a toshiba for several years, with absolutely NO problems or viruses, etc and I purchase a LOT of stuff from the net. I have never been impressed with HP stuff, but lots of folks have...

Also Google chromebooks are inexpensive and great if you just need something to surf the net, and don't need word processing or storage space, etc.

Good luck!
    Likes amy43, CrayonBox liked this post
    The cause of all suffering is attachment...

amy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura aboutamy43 has a spectacular aura about

@jaders Thank you for the advice and information. I have noticed mixed feelings about HP too which confused me even more as my experience so far has been good.
    I have also heard that toshiba are good but it is hard trying to find one with a larger screen. These days they seem to be making things smaller and smaller. Maybe they know something we don't and the
    whole human race are turning into ants! As this is how tiny some of the phones and tablets I have seen are! When I borrowed a mobile phone I had to speak and then hold the thing up to my ear to hear them and then
    back to my mouth again to speak! Anyway I digress, thanks for the well wishes and advice. I appreciate it.

So right about the attachment theory by the way. Does cause suffering!
    Likes jaders, CrayonBox liked this post

Victoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to allVictoria123 is a name known to all

@amy43
    I change office laptops yearly as they take a lot abuse/ are work horses. I used to buy expensive ones and they did last longer. Now I buy Lenovo’s, 17” screen, intel chip and at least 8GB. I think the models are B50 or B60. I’m really impressed with them and I’ve dropped mine a few times, it has dents and I’ve taped the CD rom closed as the hinge is damaged from last drop. It still works like new. They cost £224.00 with Windows 10 is from a website called saveonlaptops, I’m away and dont have correct link but google should bring it up.
    If I replace with an expensive one I would only buy a Thinkpad.
    Hope this helps.
    V
    Likes amy43, CrayonBox liked this post

@Victory104 Thank you for the advice and information. I really appreciate it, you taking the time to explain the details to me means a lot. I have read that Lenovo's are really good and was tempted but read that they can be too bright and cause eye problems, but you seem to be getting on fine with yours, which is good news. Nice price too which is a surprise but good to hear.

calgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant future

@Victory104 Thank you for the advice and information. I really appreciate it, you taking the time to explain the details to me means a lot. I have read that Lenovo's are really good and was tempted but read that they can be too bright and cause eye problems, but you seem to be getting on fine with yours, which is good news. Nice price too which is a surprise but good to hear.
    @amy43 , what do you use your computer for? Do you just do online browsing/email/FB/blog type things? Or do you need to run office suite software (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, or other special software, such as Quickbooks or something like that for a business?) Do you play computer games on your machine?

Also, do you need to have a portable/laptop computer for some reason, or do you have a place where you could set up a desktop computer with a larger screen?

(edit) these are the most important questions, before you try to pick a brand, or decide between a Chrome or a Windows operating system.
    Last edited by calgal99; 1 Week Ago at 01:40 AM.

@calgal99 , Thanks for asking. I use it mainly to do online browsing, shopping, watching youtube, and used to use it for watcing tv programmes I missed but that is not possible anymore as for some reason that is not working any more.

I would like to use it to write up my poetry, stories and other writing projects, but gather that they no longer come with word which was useful, but then my printer broke so more library trudges to get anything printed.

I would like a portable one to have it on the settee where I sit facing it as I do not have a suitable table and when not in use, place in on the chair in the lounge opposite me where it generally lives.

I have heard that Windows 10 is so confusing and resembles something out of startrek! Not great news for a technie newbie who is still getting her head around the whole technology thing in general! I am the only person I know who has a phone which is just a phone! The basic cheapie kind unlike the larger ones which people use to go on the internet, etc.

I really appreciate your advice and good questions as my computer is literally on it's last legs, poor thing! It has served me well, my old friend the vista. Will miss her when she goes and dreading the trek through the techie world trying to find one I know how to use!
    I did have book one, the really small ones, but it died on me and never came back to life and I found the whole thing frustrating, don't think it liked me!
    I will think about your questions and appreciate any further advice you may have. Thanks again.

snappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of lightsnappy711 is a glorious beacon of light

not sure how old your computer is but before trashing it I would run a deep virus/malware scan. A good free program is malwarebytes. install it, update it, and run it. you may be surprised at what it will find and it may be your solution to what ails your computer. even though you may already have an anti virus program, this finds a lot of what many anti virus programs miss. good luck and let us know if it helps.

medi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud ofmedi1 has much to be proud of

I had a fujitsu laptop for about 10 years it was a really good top of the line version until earlier this year I bough an air blower to clean the dust from the vents and the blower heated up and I must have fried the CPU chip as it wouldn't start up again. I took it to one computer shop and they said the motherboard will not power up. I know it could have been fixed if it was a good computer shop that melt the solders then let them dry and reconnect, then they would put a cooling gel on top of the CPU chip and put it back together and I'm betting it would've worked if they had tried that. I still have it and might try another shop at some point. I bought another laptop which is Ok but I miss my old version. The number 1 virus remover is spyhunter, It saved me a few times. I liked the layout of all my picture folders in my old laptop, so I had all my old data changed into this new laptop but I'm still saving new pics to my old folders which can be a pain. If you have the blue screen but are able to load a search page trust me and buy Spyhunter and it should fix the issues unless it's your hardware that is damaged and not your software.
    Best of luck.
    Likes ludwig1961 liked this post
    "Hope is a good thing, Maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies."

calgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant futurecalgal99 has a brilliant future

@calgal99 , Thanks for asking. I use it mainly to do online browsing, shopping, watching youtube, and used to use it for watcing tv programmes I missed but that is not possible anymore as for some reason that is not working any more.

I would like to use it to write up my poetry, stories and other writing projects, but gather that they no longer come with word which was useful, but then my printer broke so more library trudges to get anything printed.

I would like a portable one to have it on the settee where I sit facing it as I do not have a suitable table and when not in use, place in on the chair in the lounge opposite me where it generally lives.

I have heard that Windows 10 is so confusing and resembles something out of startrek! Not great news for a technie newbie who is still getting her head around the whole technology thing in general! I am the only person I know who has a phone which is just a phone! The basic cheapie kind unlike the larger ones which people use to go on the internet, etc.

I really appreciate your advice and good questions as my computer is literally on it's last legs, poor thing! It has served me well, my old friend the vista. Will miss her when she goes and dreading the trek through the techie world trying to find one I know how to use!
    I did have book one, the really small ones, but it died on me and never came back to life and I found the whole thing frustrating, don't think it liked me!
    I will think about your questions and appreciate any further advice you may have. Thanks again.
    @amy43 , for the kinds of things you are doing, I would recommend that you at least look at a Chromebook, as they run around 1/2 the price of a similar Windows laptop, and 1/3 the price of an Apple lappie.* Of course, committing to Chrome OS is basically giving all your information to Google, which has it's own downside(s) but I figured, in my case, they had all my info anyway, so WTH. There are many, many (many!) websites that can provide you with pros and cons of these various machines (actually, the OS is the major difference, but quality/cost enters into it, too.) As a starting point, you might read this, as it is well-written, current and straightforward: www (dot) laptopmag.com (slash) articles (slash) chromebooks-vs-windows but please do your own research about the different machines; this is an excellent time of year to buy new electronics, the seasonal deals that will run through early January tend to be the best of the year.

*If you want MS Word, you will likely want a Windows machine, and a subscription to MS Office Suite (which runs $100/year, which includes a lot of online storage.) But Chromebooks let you use Google Docs, which will probably work just fine for your needs.

Good luck!

12. Computer advice needed.