Alpha-Stim for anxiety and pain

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

snowy

Renowned member
I learned about something today that might help some members, so I'd like to pass it along. It's called Alpha-Stim.
I don't know how new it is but it worked for a dear friend who has suffered her entire life with debilitating anxiety.
She's been in outpatient therapy for depression and anxiety where they introduced her
to this.

The machine is called Alpha-Stim SCS. It is a small device with two wires that clip on to your ears. It uses “cranial electrotherapy stimulation” – to increase alpha brain waves. Apparently, Alpha waves promote relaxation, yet you are alert, and states that it can calm the central nervous system.

She had the procedure today and left the treatment center "happier than she's felt in years" to quote her. I don't know how often a person gets the Alpha-Stim procedure but she swears by it.
I'm curious to know if others here have tried it and their comments about it.

steve12345

Eminent member
I got one of these from Ebay (different brand). Instead of going to a Doc Place to have the procedure you can do it at home yourself. Some of the Medical Brands cost from $400 to $800 and they get away with this as you need a prescription for them and the Treating Docs will sell them to you (at a profit).

These devices are similar to TENS devices but are on a different freq , wavelength and strength (weaker).

So on Ebay I did a search for "cranial electrotherapy stimulation"or "CIM" and added "TENS UNIT" to the search.

There are some Chinese models (sold from some USA sellers or from China (slightly cheaper). That have 16 modes and there are TWO
CES modes. They even sell the Ear Clip.

Here is a link. I own one and my mistake was using to much power. You want the tingling to be undetectable. I am not sure if it is a placebo effect or it works. I is not like you are unhappy and use it and suddenly happy? It is a gray area and I am undecided right now.

http://www.healthmateforever.com/products/3-5mm-ear-clips?variant=7123801665 Ear Clips

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-MODES-TE...743383?hash=item28232b78d7:g:q3AAAOSwMVFXIMML

I set this unit up to my freq counter and Scope and the two CES modes are the same as many of the FANCY models from DOCs that cost up to $800.

I have only used it sporadically but will try to use it more and report back.

Danie

Exalted member
There is also a website alpha-stim.com. Of course the USA requires a script. It shows prices for 2 different machines, one is $1,195, and other is $795. Worth it if it works, but I would also look for other places (such as ebay).

This is under FAQs on website

Does my doctor need to prescribe Alpha-Stim?
A: In the United States, a licensed healthcare practitioner needs to write an order. For the rest of the world (outside of the USA), it is available over-the-counter.

snowy

Renowned member
It is not like you are unhappy and use it and suddenly happy? It is a gray area and I
am undecided right now.

She had it done once and said she felt it immediately. Possibly wishful thinking, I don't know.
In my town they charge $1200 for doing it one time. I'm not sure if insurance helps with the cost or not.
I'm surprised people can buy these and do it themselves. I'd worry about long-term damage to the brain,
but that's just me.

steve12345

Eminent member
The unit on Ebay does the same (I went to the Alpha Stim webpage and they explain what frequency and the type of "wave form" the signal is and the Ebay has the same mode. I think I paid a total of $ 30 from a seller in The USA. I just have not used it enough. If I hooked up both to my Test Equipment you would see there is no real difference. My mistake was setting the signal to high. I thought : " HMM I will get better results my turning it up" I should turn it down so that I feel the pulse and then turn it down more so I can barely feel anything. I will give it another go tonight and try it a full week and get back. I am glad this thread got more interest as I am real stressed and can use the release of the anxiety.

steve12345

Eminent member
My wife hurt her arm while waking in rough ocean in Cancun Mexico. I set the unit to a Tens unit function ( 16 possible functions ) and she said it worked wonders. I forgot all about this device and my Wife was rubbing her arm and I believe it is a torn muscle . She feels great. I can no attest that the Tens unit part works great. I will recharge it tonight and tomorrow try the CES Cranial Electronic Stimulator function tomorrow but at a lower output than I was using. There are many sellers of this device. Most are in China and at least 2 in the USA. I think the highest price including shipping is about $30. I have no vested interest in the Manufacturer (none on the product) as that is how they get around patent infringement on the software for the CES. Sorry , I do not have $1000 or $800 lying around> I have a wife and two kids to take care of and Cancer. The $30 is a good deal for me. I will try it on the CES mode or a week and get back to everyone here. I am a honest forum Member and appreciate this site and want to give a honest and answer if it works on Anxiety. My wife likes the Tens unit function though.

snowy

Renowned member
I wanted to update regarding my friend and her new found peace. She said she doesn't feel as good as she did yesterday but there is still an improvement
in how she feels. @steve12345 I can't wait to see how it works for you.

steve12345

Eminent member
I wanted to update regarding my friend and her new found peace. She said she doesn't feel as good as she did yesterday but there is still an improvement
in how she feels. @steve12345 I can't wait to see how it works for you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it were not for this thread I would not have thought of giving the device to my Wife to use for her sore arm. This is the second day that she said this device is a miracle and was talking about it all day with her work folks (Tens unit function for sore muscles).

Soon as I can Pry it away from her I will try the CES (Cranial Electronic Stimulator) function. There are 16 modes and they slip the CES as a Bonus and I did verify that the Frequency and waveform are the same as the Alpha Stimulator model. These are all over on Ebay for less than $30 delivered domestically and about 22 from China (same model).

Gullible

Exalted member
There are a lot of otc things that help with anxiety and many other conditions. I have written about ultrasound, since you mentioned your wife's arm, steve. US is great for things like that and knocks out pain also seems to help heal.

The machine snowy spoke of is I believe a type of cranial stimulation device. They use low power to put high frequency electricity through your head. It may run off a 9v battery so its not going to kill you. Tens units are a little different, they use regular electricity. Do a search on those terms and you will find a lot of interesting results.

steve12345

Eminent member
There are a lot of otc things that help with anxiety and many other conditions. I have written about ultrasound, since you mentioned your wife's arm, steve. US is great for things like that and knocks out pain also seems to help heal.

The machine snowy spoke of is I believe a type of cranial stimulation device. They use low power to put high frequency electricity through your head. It may run off a 9v battery so its not going to kill you. Tens units are a little different, they use regular electricity. Do a search on those terms and you will find a lot of interesting results.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am aware of the difference between a Tens unit and a Cranial Stimulation device. I got the unit that I purchased as it was BOTH in one and cheap. I then compared the specs and also measured with my Test Equipment the Signal on the Cranial Modes and they are the same signal (frequency and waveform type ) as the Alpha Stim. The Chinese maker has no brand name on it for a reason. There may have been some patent infringement by the makers of this unit and technically it is illegal to sell this device without a prescription (explains the high price for the Alpha Stimulator brand...red tape to get FDA approved etc).

The unit I have has 16 modes and costs from $25 to $ 35 delivered (depending on the seller on Ebay and some are in the USA). The unit works great and no issues. The manufacturer (no name on product) basically added the Cranial function to the Tens unit as it is really just software. If I can tear the unit away from my wife I will go back to testing it on the Anxiety function. For muscle Pain (pulled muscle etc) I and my wife recommend these Tens units and you can buy them in most stores for around $50.

For the Cranial function there are several sellers on Ebay with different models and I just randomly chose this one as it resembled SOO Closely some of the NAME brand models that cost far more.

Gullible

Exalted member
I will be watching eagerly for your updated reports on the unit. As little as $25 delivered? I will have to pick one up. I've heard a lot about the cranial stimulating gadgets, a company called thynk sells them for a high price. There are supposed to be settings for energy, relaxation and something else.

From what you say it sounds like the tens has a similar effect to ultrasound. My us unit is great. I've noticed that the benefits seem to increase over the next few days after using it. Pain and discomfort is less the next day and each day after that for a few days. You have to use it correctly and the right amount of minutes.

I'm not at all sure about the requirements to have a script to use one of them. Probably they got the machines to be listed under special equipment or some such like an xray machines. The chinese are good at knock offs.

Gullible

Exalted member
Its about $42 now from china from mileybestseller. The ear clips are $15 extra. I see cheaper ones but one looks like you hook it to your smart phone which I don't want to do. If you and snowy are happy with it I might go ahead and get one. Steve, I am interested to see if you noticed anti-anxiety effects too? The one by thynk was over 200, might have been 300 or 400 its been a while. You had to buy replacement electrodes or something at a high price.

I have done so well with my ultrasound unit, I swear by it so I'm open to something that might sound a little kooky even though I've lost lots of money trying stuff that didn't work. Thats why I passed on the expensive machine which you were supposed to wear. There were testimonials on it too. Supposedly one setting relaxes and another wakes you up. One for morning and one for evening. But then I'd have to toss out all my sleep remedies if this works. lol, don't I wish. Waiting for more reviews

steve12345

Eminent member
The Tens and the Cranial Stimilulation device are very similar. This is why the Chinese manufacturer easily added it to their Tens device. Actually there was a Maker of the same device for a $ 200 or so and the Chinese maker (notice no branding on the unit I got) just copied it (patent infringement). The Tens and the CES units are really the same thing. They put out a signal at a particular frequency and waveform.

This is very like 20 years ago when I used to repair Laser Printers and Fax machines and Copiers. In those days you had to buy all 3 separately $$$. Now you have one unit that does everything well in one box for dirt cheap.

The Cranial Stimulators are not to be sold without a DOc prescription. This reminds me of the TENS units that used be only sold the same way. Years ago you had to go to the hospital to get treated and those devices cost big $$. I got mine for $25 delivered !

The model that I have a link to in Post # 2 of this thread has the Cranial Stimulation on one of the 16 modes. You can select one of 4 programs for this and the intensity. The unit has a rechargeable battery ( lithium ) and it lasts a long time. I did not get the earclips and use the electrodes on the sides of my head . You can place them in many spots. These electrodes are cheap in bulk and can be reused . They give you a application that you put the used ones on and they last at least 10 more times. They have a gel that helps carry the current.

There are many sellers of this unit on Ebay . I will use it for the next few weeks and get back to you. This time I will back off the intensity and I will also listen to the meditation soundtracks. I will post a link below and these are free Apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uwe.myoxygen&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.calm.android&hl=en

There are many more and FREE. Real relaxing and my Doc told me about them and she uses them every day! I will use the Apps plus the CES together.

Last edited: