• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Anxiety treated with non benzo meds?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

DeltaGee

Let's hear everyone's ideas for ways to replace benzos. We know bennies are addictive, make us forgetful and sleepy. They have other not so good long term effects. Other drawbacks are that they are scheduled, illegal to obtain outside usa, and can get you into trouble.

First we have the non benzo benzos, or substances with very similar actions, some of which are addictive too but may not be scheduled and are easier to obtain. Among those are phenibut, baclophen, etizolam and picamilon. All those are anxiolytics and all induce sleep to some degree except picamilon. Pica is an interesting drug, you feel so calm and relaxed you think you could drop right off to sleep but sleep does not come. It's good for anxiety during the day. These all operate to some degree on the gaba receptors.

These are cheaper than benzos for the most part and only baclophen requires a script. They are all habit forming except I've heard picamilon does not induce addiction. They are not to be taken every day in larger and larger amounts. If you must take benzos all the time it may help to switch over to one of these now and then.
We also have herbs and supplements that have a tranquilizing effect. Among them are valerian root, hops, magnolia bark, phelodendron, and many other things. These are not as strong as a benzo but may do the job. Tolerance is possible with them. And there is jamaican dogwood that I've mentioned before. That is good for nervous tention, knotted muscles and aches and pains. It has not done much for me so far for a sleep aid unless I have a headache, back ache or something keeping me up. Its great for those things.

There are also amino acids that has a calming effect like taurine, gaba, inositol and others. These have a milder effect, you may need spoonfuls instead of caplets. Lavender is calming, just the scent will help. Put a drop of lavender on your wrist and enjoy the calm.

Has anyone used these things or other remedies besides hard core xanax, valium and the rest?

caramelt

First we have the non benzo benzos, or substances with very similar actions, some of which are addictive too but may not be scheduled and are easier to obtain. Among those are phenibut, baclophen, etizolam and picamilon. All those are anxiolytics and all induce sleep to some degree except picamilon. Pica is an interesting drug, you feel so calm and relaxed you think you could drop right off to sleep but sleep does not come. It's good for anxiety during the day. These all operate to some degree on the gaba receptors.

I think phenibut, baclophen, etizolam and picamilon are all different classes of drugs with different mechanisms of action, and etizolam is a benzo analog, so basically a benzo. Some states consider etizolam a controlled substance.

Personally I have no luck at all with any type of anxiety med, whether benzo, herb, etc. because they all make me so tired. And somehow in spite of making me so tired, I still feel plenty of anxiety.

Eyriz

Honorable member

I think phenibut, baclophen, etizolam and picamilon are all different classes of drugs with different mechanisms of action, and etizolam is a benzo analog, so basically a benzo. Some states consider etizolam a controlled substance.

Personally I have no luck at all with any type of anxiety med, whether benzo, herb, etc. because they all make me so tired. And somehow in spite of making me so tired, I still feel plenty of anxiety.
Strange! No anxiety relief from benzos?
If you don't mind me asking, which benzos have you tried?
I've never heard of picamilon

caramelt

Hm, I'm not sure my list is complete here, but alprazolam, lorazepam, diazepam, bromazepam, oxazepam. Bromaz seems to be the least sleepy of the bunch but still makes me tired. It's not to say I get no relief at all, but if I take enough to kill my anxiety, I'm so sleepy that I can't function very well.

poohluv

Lapsed Senior Member
I've heard beyond great things about Nardil, although many people report after they changed the formula is not near as effective for social/generalized anxiety - I asked on doc about it and the conversation was shut down so quick I never tried to open that door again,

Gullible

Exalted member
Theanine is good for that. Its relaxing, non habit forming, cheap and no script. As for etizolam, I think its less of a problem than benzos. You can get hooked on it but I've used it once a week for years without upping the dose. I use it for sleeep

There are other things, california poppy for one. St johns wort seems to help. Anything you use everyday usually loses effect, but theanine may the exception to that

DeltaGee

Melatonin will help with sleep. Valerian has tranquilizing effects. Has anyone used phenibut? It's legal, no script needed and can be ordered in most countries including USA. A gram has a sedative effect, its not sleepy as such but it does help with sleep. People say it makes them more sociable. It takes nearly 2 hours to feel the effect so if you get hold of some do not keep redosing because you thought it didn't do anything. It's a little too good much like benzos and you get a tolerance after a while plus wd's.

I'm thinking people on benzos could switch around some and perhaps lessen their tolerance. Like maybe going to etiz for a week, then phenibut. Picamilon is interesting, no sleepy effect but it will flat calm you down. They say its not addictive and it doesn't really have a high like benzos do. Picamilon is made from niacin, a "b" vitamin and gaba. It helps bring the gaba into the brain.

DeltaGee

There are good but I want to change the things a little...
Everythings gets expensive and the most important problem is addiction. And my tolerance to some became very high...

caramelt

Melatonin will help with sleep. Valerian has tranquilizing effects. Has anyone used phenibut? It's legal, no script needed and can be ordered in most countries including USA. A gram has a sedative effect, its not sleepy as such but it does help with sleep. People say it makes them more sociable. It takes nearly 2 hours to feel the effect so if you get hold of some do not keep redosing because you thought it didn't do anything. It's a little too good much like benzos and you get a tolerance after a while plus wd's.

I'm thinking people on benzos could switch around some and perhaps lessen their tolerance. Like maybe going to etiz for a week, then phenibut. Picamilon is interesting, no sleepy effect but it will flat calm you down. They say its not addictive and it doesn't really have a high like benzos do. Picamilon is made from niacin, a "b" vitamin and gaba. It helps bring the gaba into the brain.

Some interesting responses here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/2r0cq8

ezrider

Refined Senior Member
Small amounts of different strains of kratom have worked for me. You shouldn't take everyday as the tolerence can build up in a couple weeks if taking everyday. But very miled wd's for maybe a day or few that aren't bad at all espicially if you have a few days to not have to do much. Tricky and expensive part is finding the right color and blend to use and from what vendor. So many choices and gets pricey if needing to take quite often. I find it better for days where I need to be energetic and social, helps with that part of anxiety.

ethom

Distinguished member
I tried buspar but developed dizziness and nausea after I increased the dose. Threw those away. Klonopin is the only thing that works for me and I hate that. I have suffered from anxiety since I was age 5 and have tried so many things. I am a control freak though and have been able to skip enough days to keep myself at 1 mg Klonopin . But that means I have some really bad days and nights. Insomnia is such a problem and I use OTC sleeping meds every night. I hate that too. I have to wonder if I will ever be drug free.

My anxiety also came with severe depression - suicidal thoughts often. Wellbutrin has taken those thoughts away which is a plus. And now all I worry about is how little time I have left on this earth. One year, I can't wait to die and now I never want to die. I guess that is progress.

FTLsloth

Honorable member
Just wanted to mention phenibut can be extremely hard getting off of for a lot of people, easily just as hard as a benzo and in similar ways.

For the herbal stuff I have used skullcap, jamaican dogwood, mulungu bark, milky oats and california poppy among others. For pharma, besides benzos which i hate, I've used propranolol and pregabalin with success. Most everything else I was given either did nothing or the side effects made any anxiety relief not worth it. Even the pregabalin I eventually got off of because he slowed my thinking down considerably. Propranolol is extremely effective with panic and racing thoughts for me. The only supplements I do these days that may help with anxiety is a complex magnesium and i put l-theanine powder in any coffee I drink. I also try and regularly get lots of exercise, which definitely helps me a lot at least with the physical side of anxiety. I get the whole stomach knots and throwing up thing. And I will agree that kratom can be very effective, but obviously is an opioid and addictive. I was on that for a few years to help get off something much much stronger and eventually got off kratom too. Withdrawals from kratom were easy except for the restless leg which was far worse than with any other drug I've quit and lasted months.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks