Anybody reading?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

2005cbr1000rr

Eminent member
I've been trying to get into a James Paterson Invisible novel.
I've read a ton by JP when I was younger but can't seem to get a feel for this one.
Anyone else?

taralumia

Exalted member
Hi @2005cbr. :) I've been trying to quit reading at night, so I've recently been listening to audiobooks. It occurs to me that it might help you to get back into the novel. There are lots of free books online, and an app called Librvox is great for downloading and listening to audiobooks. I don't know if the one you're reading is there, but if not, there are other ways to get almost anything.

The reason I'm moving away from night reading is because anything visual seems to keep me up later than I mean to be. Listening, on the other hand, puts me out. So if you're like me, I guess it's a bad idea. :speechless:But if you're an audio type person, maybe it will help you get through the novel.

Last edited:

MarcieDarcy

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm reading The Girl on the Train. A few friends said it was great. I asked my oldest ,22, to got with me to Barnes and Noble to buy the book. She laughed at me. She said , "Nobody buys books anymore. Just download it." Sorry but I like the feel of a book. Just showing my age!!! ☺

tommygun

Eminent member
Been reading 'Frankie Boyle-My shit life so far'.Very funny book,when i can maybe afford it i wouldn't mind getting hold of Irvine Welsh's new book-'Blade Boy'.

notcharlotte

Exalted member
@taralumia, it's funny that you said that. i can't read anything stimulating before bed. if i'm reading something good, i'll put it down and read something boring. i try not to come on pr late either because i'll get too involved.
@2005cbr, i don't have a very high opinion of james patterson. his books are formulaic. it seems to be a trend with some writers nowadays: their books are like screenplays. you can just see how the writers are envisioning the movie to be made. i was enjoying craig johnson's longmire series until i got annoyed at how the books all end with a big chase scene with mystical overtones. chase scenes are for movies, not books.

i read a lot of mysteries and sf and avoid "thrillers." what genre do you like? i'd be happy to suggest some writers that i like.

2005cbr1000rr

Eminent member
@taralumia, it's funny that you said that. i can't read anything stimulating before bed. if i'm reading something good, i'll put it down and read something boring. i try not to come on pr late either because i'll get too involved.

@2005cbr, i don't have a very high opinion of james patterson. his books are formulaic. it seems to be a trend with some writers nowadays: their books are like screenplays. you can just see how the writers are envisioning the movie to be made. i was enjoying craig johnson's longmire series until i got annoyed at how the books all end with a big chase scene with mystical overtones. chase scenes are for movies, not books.

i read a lot of mysteries and sf and avoid "thrillers." what genre do you like? i'd be happy to suggest some writers that i like.

I always liked mysteries and thrillers. When I was younger I'd read anything laying around just to pass time.
I've read everything including romance novels to westerns to mysteries, etc.
I don't even know what interests me anymore because it's been so long since I've actually read a book that nothing seems to grab my attention like it used to.
I'd be open to any suggestions you have though.
I know just reading internet forums has ruined me. LOL :)

Boxergirl

Distinguished member
@MarcieDarcy I read The Girl on the Train and thought it was quite good. It's a strange little story. Currently reading Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben as I heard such rave reviews about it. Julia Roberts stated that she wants to play the main character's role if/when it goes to film.

I stopped reading James Patterson a long time ago @2005cbr as he just churns out book after book. Seems like they started going downhill as far as compelling storylines went so I just moved on to other authors.

2005cbr1000rr

Eminent member
Which other authors have you moved onto @Boxergirl ?
Even if they're not something I'd be interested in post them up for the others following this thread.
And either way, im sure I'd be interested in them personally.
I seriously used to read the Hardy Boys and Three Investigators stuff. LOL :)

Last edited:

Boxergirl

Distinguished member
I had to look through my iBooks list to see who I've read lately and which authors I liked best. I love mysteries and thrillers have read many books by Harlan Coben. They are easy reads with enough twists and turns to keep the pages turning. Mostly, I read late at night when I have a few spare minutes so this type of book works for me. I recently read three books in a row from Tana French, an Irish/American author - I'd suggest In the Woods to start. Her character development is excellent and she is quite the descriptive and detailed writer.

Since I like this genre of books, I use the Edgar Awards (as in Poe, of course) website to help discover new authors. I know what you mean when you say that nothing grabs your attention anymore- here you may find something fresh and different.
Here is the link http://www.theedgars.com/nominees.html. I have downloaded many a sample on iBooks and found some interesting novels in these lists. You can go back to previous years' nominees as well so there's plenty to choose from.

I hope some others post their likes too - I will be done with this current book soon and need a new title!

Last edited:

Blue Flowers

Exalted member
Has anyone read "Belle du Seigneur". Apparently, the English version is out of print. I've signed up for an inter-library loan but I've been waiting weeks. The reason I ask is that I watched the 5 year old movie about a month ago and I am haunted and in love with this story. The 90 minute movie was not able to cover all of the background and ins and outs and I need more answers from this 1000 some page book written in the 60's. Anyone lucky enough to read? If so, reviews please!

MsLynne

Lapsed Senior Member
I try reading at night before bed, and always fall asleep! It kinda sucks too because I look forward to unwinding with a good book so much then when I finally get to I'm zonked out in no time.

dame

Distinguished member
I'm finally reading The Martian. Saw the movie and from what I've read, seems like it is amazingly faithful to the book. It took me a while to get into it (too science-y for my poor brain) but it's moving along now that I'm 100+ pages in. It's a quick read at least.

radieschen

I'm currently reading Robin Hobb's Farseer series, just finished the second book and am really enjoying it.

Generally I love reading everything from fiction to non-fiction, history and fantasy novels, urban fantasy (really enjoying Jim Butcher's Dresden files) and thriller novels (Lee Child's Jack Reacher series).

Beccazw

I'm reading the Girl on the Train. Kept hearing how great it was but not impressed so far (about halfway through). And I just finished What Alice Forgot, which I also found underwhelming. Before these novels, I slogged through all five Game of Thrones books. Any recommendations? I usually go for literary fiction.

ArtyBowieFan

Lapsed Senior Member
I read a lot of Vertigo graphic novels. Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is especially good. Also, Preacher and Y the Last Man.

In addition I have read the entire ancient history section of my local library. Mary Beard has written several great books on ancient Rome.

smo1959

Honorable member
Just finished The Life We Bury by Allen Eskins. It was really good - suspense/murder mystery from the point of view of a 20-something college student. The reviews on Amazon were good so I took a chance. Being 50-something I thought I might not like the perspective, but the story includes a Vietnam era veteran...pretty good read.:)

Blue Flowers

Exalted member
Hey guys. Just wanted to update and highly recommend "Belle du Seigneur". I was so enthralled by this book that I read the almost 1000 pages in 5 days. A gorgeous "intellectual cult classic in France". It's a shame that most Americans have not had been exposed to it unless they've gone on a pretty long quest like I did. The mixture of the movie and the book would have made the most perfect story. Both bring in different ideas. The story is about the devilishly handsome but suicidal Solal de Solas, a jew in 1936(?), a big wig at the then League of Nations in Geneva. The popularity of the Nazi party was increasing at a disturbing rate and Solal was pretty sure where things were heading. Lucky for him, he had citizenship in France and few people knew he was Jewish. A lot of the political and family stuff was satirical but also very sad knowing what we know now. Solal falls in love with his NO-BODY subordinate's wife (a buffoon) just starting out at the League of Nations. The book covered the hilarious tales of Solal's family that the movie couldn't possibly cover, as well as the very sad story of Solal's previous lover, an aging, yet beautiful widow. It is the love affair (of Solal and Arianne) that is the big story but not much happens until well into the book. Love happens but becomes a tormented journey experienced by 2 self-loafing yet self-indulgent people. I'm not giving much away. I just wanted to say that it has been the greatest tragic love story I have read to date. Highly recommend. I guess I would also recommend reading the book before watching the movie or you may believe it's a bit "50 shades of Gray" it's not, I promise! @Mrs Parker idk if this is your style but I know you have great taste and you may love this if you haven't read it before.
I am now about to start "House of Mirth" or maybe the newer book I got but I can't remember the name lol.

Has anyone read "Belle du Seigneur". Apparently, the English version is out of print. I've signed up for an inter-library loan but I've been waiting weeks. The reason I ask is that I watched the 5 year old movie about a month ago and I am haunted and in love with this story. The 90 minute movie was not able to cover all of the background and ins and outs and I need more answers from this 1000 some page book written in the 60's. Anyone lucky enough to read? If so, reviews please!

- - - Updated - - -
@dame I'm not into much Sci-Fi but I really loved the movie...after being forced to watch it. I may try reading it too.

Last edited:

jaders

Eminent member
To anyone who just wants a really good story - The Goldfinch is a pretty interesting tale. It's a big thick book so if you like it that's a good thing, but if you don't- you won't want to waste your time trying to tough it out...:cool: