Anybody reading?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

DulyNoted

Exalted member
Goldfinch = Pulitzer prize = amazing read considering the utterly convincing way Donna Tartt tells the story of a boy from pre-puberty to young adulthood in the first person narrative. Good enough that I also read her other two novels - The Little Friend and The Secret History.

amy43

Honorable member
A Passionate Sisterhood, about the lives of the women of the poets, Wordsworth, Colridge, and Southy. The dynamics, history and personality tells a story which will not be in any English Literature course.
Also, the poems of Anne Sexton.

pia

Distinguished member
I am reading "The Drop", written by Dennis Lehane. So far it is turning out to be a good read.

edyth

Lapsed Senior Member
Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Stephen Herrero. Bulb in my bed-lamp is always low-wattage (40 or less). Lately I've used the 25(?)-watt yellow bulbs. That yellow doesn't interfere w/ sleepy-time time :)

DancingWriter

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm currently reading the anthology "The Brazil Reader" among many other books. I'm constantly reading :)

dame

Distinguished member
I'm reading a book called Edges of Science... it's about extraterrestrials and stuff.
@edyth... If you have a particular interest in bears, I highly recommend The Story of Brutus by Casey Anderson and Night of the Grizzlies by Jack Olson.

Mrs Parker

Exalted member
I currently have 3 going-
The Moon's A Balloon which is a memoir by actor David Niven which is pretty sassy and fun

It Can't Happen Here by Upton Sinclair which was written during the Great Depression but is spookily prescient of nowdays

And my favorite... The Secret History Of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost. If any of you saw the original series and/or plan to watch the new one
in the spring this book is a must! The first 60 pages were a bit of a slog for me but now the pace has picked up and it's dealing with
characters I know and love dearly. Great fun!

notcharlotte

Exalted member
i've read that david niven book, @Mrs Parker. i then had to rewatch some of his movies because of his descriptions. doesn't he write about something funny that happened while he was filming wuthering heights? i think it involved snot during cathy's death scene. he was always so debonair onscreen, it was fascinating to see the other side of him. and boy, are we dating ourselves by knowing him and his work!

it used to be so great when they had all those old black and white movies on tv. i loved the dead end kids, the original spanky and our gang, and gems like key largo. even black and white sitcoms were good-make room for daddy, for example. okay, i get it: i'm old.

edyth

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm reading a book called Edges of Science... it's about extraterrestrials and stuff.
@edyth... If you have a particular interest in bears, I highly recommend The Story of Brutus by Casey Anderson and Night of the Grizzlies by Jack Olson.

Hi--I've heard of both; thank you! (My reading is kind of here, there and everywhere). (See how quickly I answer? Hee-hee....)

ludwig1961

Lapsed Senior Member
My wife and order books on mp3, I know that's not reading, but we listen to some great books while another person doing the reading. It is great! We enjoy some great books by the master, Stephen King, and are listening to Dean Koontz's Frankenstein 5 book series. It is a new take on an old story and it is awesome. We cut off the lights and listen and let our imagination do the rest. It has brought us closer, as we can read, no listen, to the same book at the same time and the same rate of speed.

fugi

I'm still reading Elizabeth I: A Novel which is long, so when I need a break, I am also reading short stories in Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro.

blueboy

Yeah my wife order this book named every thing you need to know about your wife I open the book and there's nothing there all the pages are blank what. Ha ha ha!!!

trish5959

Honorable member
Looks like the Book thread isn't exactly cracking the top ten so thought I'd do an offering. And referring to @blueboy and blank pages, Deborah, the Duchess of Devonshire - the last of the Mitford sisters - was given a book by Evelyn Waugh. As 'Debo' was famous for not reading, Evelyn sent her his latest novel, saying it was just the thing she would enjoy. All the pages were blank. Bit of trivia there.
I'm doing some rereading lately which is often quite comforting and illuminating. Personal History an autobiography by Katherine Graham - she of the Washington Post newspaper company family and Watergate publisher - is excellent. She had such a privileged life and yet was so naive and insecure. Worth searching out.