• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Anyone read independent authors on Amazon Kindle?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Frylock

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm a pretty big avid reader. I love books and I love true stories even more.

I own a Kindle and there are a few independent authors out there who aren't really well known, but are still very good.

I downloaded this book called "When I Get Free..." on my Kindle and I have to say that it was a really good book. It's about this guy who was in prison in South Carolina for drug offenses. It's supposedly a true story and the author, Dirk D. isn't his real name. It's supposed to be a journal kept by the author while he was in prison.

It was really deep and you could tell this guy was a hardcore drug user who pretty much lost everything due to drugs. In the book he is determined to kick his habit and uses prison as an opportunity to really examine everything he's done in life up until then.

It was free to me since I'm a Prime member. If you get a chance, it's really good.

Last edited:

crucibelle

Lapsed Senior Member
Hi, @movietango -- I prefer true stories, too. True Crime is actually my favourite. I don't have a Kindle though. I like plain ol' books. If these independent authors are only available on Kindle, though... sounds like a good reason to own one. I like the Kindle Fire, myself. :)

Frylock

Lapsed Senior Member
Yeah there's some good author's on there. I think the reason the Kindle is so popular with independent author's is because it's free to publish and you don't have to do much to get on there. There are a lot of s**t authors on there, but I found this one pretty entertaining. I would imagine this author would be somewhat popular in a few years. This is his first publication so I'm really anxious to see what the next thing he publishes will be!

I like plain old books, too. But most of these independent books on the Kindle aren't available in print.

I have one of the first editions of the Kindle and I love it. I've heard the Kindle Fire had a lot of "bugs" when it first came out. Not sure if they fixed it or not but if they did it's a good price for what is essentially a cheaper iPad.

dmp336

Lapsed Senior Member
I can't say I do much reading of little known authors since it ususally takes reading a whole bunch of bad books to find that one good one! I do however LOVE my kindle fire and I honestly have no idea how I lived without it....in fact I'm writing this post on it right now! For 200 bucks, it pretty much does anything you can do with android apps, and although the IPad is so raved about, I can't see how 400 bucks more could possibly make my kindle fire as inferior as Apple makes it out to be. So for me, Kindle Fire all the way! I highly recommend one for everyone!

Frylock

Lapsed Senior Member
Yeah I've read some pretty awful writers on the Kindle. But I think I've found my new favorite! At least independent, anyway. It's hard to beat Hubert Selby, Jr. or William S. Burroughs. :)

sambob

Banned
@movietango, I've been thinking about paying to be a prime member just so I could check out books, just looked up the book you mentioned, may have to do a sample of it. Right now I'm reading The Rachel Papers, by Martin Armis on my Kindle. i went a little bit of a fantasy trip and starting reading the George RR Martin books, I finally got the 5th book, Dance of Dragons but have yet to start it.....

Frylock

Lapsed Senior Member
Yeah prime members have it pretty good. There's tons of books you can borrow for free. It's worth it if you read a lot, otherwise it may be cheaper if you just read a few books.

How is "The Rachel Papers"? I've never read any of Martin Amis' books but it looks interesting. And most novels that are turned into movies usually are pretty good.

Also I'm reading Hubert Selby Jr.'s "Waiting Period" that's pretty good. His style of writing in that book is somewhat destracting since he uses a lot of run-on sentences and doesn't capitalize much. Just lowercases and no periods to end the sentence. But the whole book is like being in the mind of someone who has pretty much lost their mind. So the run-on sentences probably are symbolic.

Last edited:

sambob

Banned
@movietango I'm enjoying it, I actually picked up one of his books, Money, b/c it was reissued and the cover had a lot of traditional/flash tattoo drawings on it, that's what got me started on him. I recently started using my Kindle again, I have so many god damn books in my house, I'm not sure I will ever read them all and yet I continue to buy them, damn you Amazon!

Frylock

Lapsed Senior Member
@movietango I'm enjoying it, I actually picked up one of his books, Money, b/c it was reissued and the cover had a lot of traditional/flash tattoo drawings on it, that's what got me started on him. I recently started using my Kindle again, I have so many god damn books in my house, I'm not sure I will ever read them all and yet I continue to buy them, damn you Amazon!

If you have a book buying addiction (like me) then Thriftbooks.com is a lot better for used books than Amazon IMO. Granted they are used, but most are in Like New or Very Good condition. And they have free shipping. That's where I usually order older books because they're a lot cheaper and you can't beat free shipping.

A lot of the older books aren't available on the Kindle. And while I do love my Kindle, it can be frustrating sometimes to try and find a certain chapter or passage on it.

DeadheadRN

Lapsed Senior Member
I can't say that I read a lot of the independent authors, but I do love my Kindle. I was very resistant to getting one because I liked reading actual books like @crucibelle said. But, I got one for Xmas last year and fell in love with it. This Xmas I got the Kindle Fire, and while I like it a lot, I still prefer the old-school Kindle. The Kindle Fire actually doesn't have a lot of the features that the old one does. For example, I like to put all my books into categories, and once I've read something I like to put it in the "books already read" file that I made. One thing I do like more about the Kindle Fire is that I can read it with the lights off. One thing I don't like about it is the poor battery life. With my old Kindle I only had to charge it every other week or so, with the Fire it's every other day. I like them both for different reasons, but if you like to read I highly recommend getting one. I love that if I need a new book I can get in 30 seconds. I have a Prime membership too, and it's definitely paid off for getting books, but I buy a lot from Amazon in general so it's good for that too. And don't discount the free books Amazon offers. Some of them are actually pretty good.

Nickel

Eminent member
I had a Kindle Touch for a month over Christmas and didn't really like it. Bought it for a friend who I visited in Jan. I managed to finish one book on it but barely. I think it was just too slow. I thought I was going to fall in love with it like everyone says but nada. Good to know though, cause I know now I would at the very least want to check out the Kindle Fire. Or one of the other tablets. I did love the instant grat from ordering books and downloading them though. And yeah, the battery life for the Touch was amazing though it didn't seem to require much processing power.

There are a lot of self-publishing going on now. A lot of mid-list writers with expired back lists rebooting them online. A lot of trunk novels that never got accepted getting converted to Kindle and iBook and etc. A lot of pro writers giving their publishing contracts a second look. You have to sort of rummage around in writing blogs to find some decent stuff.

I have Prime too and love it. Very clever of Amazon, free shipping, free streaming, all kinds of perks.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks