• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Apple releases $549 AirPods Max today

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Hat

Honorable member
How on earth did headphones get so expensive? $50 more and I can get a new Ipad Air. The profit margin on those headphones has got to be insane even by apple standards. Perhaps it would be worth it if I could simply hit a button on the headphones and it automatically checked all my pending pharmacy shipments. :)

Vincentm4990

Wow, I have never owned anything apple in my career of electronics. Primarily due to the price, that's why I went with android. Dont get me wrong I would like a nice pair of cordless headphine but not for a weeks pay??? I thought I misread the title.

Juno08

Lapsed Senior Member
I don’t think I could ever justify that much money on a pair of head phones. Or anything really for that matter. That’s honestly ridiculous. Is there something special about them? Other than being wireless. That’s mind blowing to me. I could buy an Apple Watch for that!

bamorris

I have the first generation AirPods and Airpods Pro. The Pro's are really amazing, Air Pod Max's better be bringing it for that price. Have you ever seen the Shure wireless headphones, their top-of-the-line is $1200.00. I never understand the point b/c the majority of the music I listen to is so compressed and digital anyways.o_O

Chancer

Exalted member
Wow, I have never owned anything apple in my career of electronics. Primarily due to the price, that's why I went with android. Dont get me wrong I would like a nice pair of cordless headphine but not for a weeks pay??? I thought I misread the title.
I bought a pair of Blitzwolf which cost me about £30. Wireless connection (cordless) and they work great, even louder than my old Samsung wire headphones. Its one of the few things from China that has actually impressed me with quality.

Reactions: OTM

SleeplessNight

Lapsed Senior Member
Apple is the most overpriced crap there is. Sure they are easy to use etc but for the same money you can buy audiophile headphones etc that would blow you away and hear things in music etc that you would have never heard before. Apple get away with these inflated prices because fans always want the next best thing and they seem to not care how much it costs just to say they have it.

Chancer

Exalted member
How bizarre that this thread popped up today. My blitzwolfs broke 😔, so I just ordered a pair of Sony for £150 (expensive for me). I'm going to order more blitzwolf too but the delivery takes weeks for some reason (from Canada 🤨). I'm so exited about my new toy thats coming 🥳🥳🥳

Muppetsforlife

Those prices are totally wild to me. Especially since if you want to create a high quality sound experience, it's almost impossible to do in such a small device as airpods. Hence you still see recording artists in studios use the big over ear cabled headphones.

Since studio level equipment is in the same pricerange, thats why I'm drawing the comparison here. But those are quality products, large speakers, goldplated cables connectors etc the whole 9 yards.

As mentioned, beats by Dre level crazy

Chancer

Exalted member
@Muppetsforlife I remember the Beats era well, I spent quite a bit during that time in Thialand and they sold them on numerous stalls at various prices. We had a chance to compare a pair of real ones and different fake ones one night, purely for some experimental fun.

It was a mixed bag, we learned that not all fakes are created equal, some are better than others and some are hard to distinguish from the real ones, unless you have distinguished musical sound.

Some of the fakes put incredible attention to detail in/on them. You just made me smile all the way down memory lane. 😊

Edit: Spelling 😉

Last edited:

Muppetsforlife

@Muppetsforlife I remember the Beats era well, I spent quite a bit during that time in Thialand and they sold them on numerous stalls at various prices. We had a chance to compare a pair of real ones and different fake ones one night, purely for some experimental fun.

It was a mixed bag, we learned that not all fakes are created equal, some are better than others and some are hard to distinguish from the real once, unless you have distinguished musical sound.

Some of the fakes put incredible attention to detail in/on them. You just made me smile all the way down memory lane. 😊
You have to be kidding me, now you're taking me down on the same lane!
I visited thailand in that period with my parents and got myself one of those fake Beats as a present!! Amazing thinking back about it, all from a time before my musical development so to speak lol

Bigrig

Honorable member
My several pairs of $26-$30 bluetooth ear buds work just fine. Over half a grand for what is essentially a DISPOSABLE device is most certainly insanity. You can buy a new off-brand every few months and still not pay as much over time as you would for these.

illbananas

Honorable member
That's "Beats by Dre" level stupidity there. And like most Apple products almost certainly unrepairable/proprietary chips.
You realize Apple bought Beats right? Also everybody that complains about Apple product and proprietary, cannot provide a comparable Microsoft Windows based product that offers the same specs for less money. A common mistake is saying RAM is RAM and thinking 16gb on a $500 dell, is the same as 16GB on a Mac. In reality the speed of the Mac ram is 20x faster without exagerating.

Also, when the M1 came out a year ago for the Mac mini for $599, the M1 chip at the time beat every single intel and AMD chipset on the market place, even processors that cost $2k+ just for the chip, while Apple was selling a whole computer with the M1 processor for $599.

It's not over priced. It's proprietary, with the trade off of performance and everything working.

To compare anything else would be like comparing a Hyundai to a BMW.

Bigrig

Honorable member
That's "Beats by Dre" level stupidity there. And like most Apple products almost certainly unrepairable/proprietary chips.
You realize Apple bought Beats right? Also everybody that complains about Apple product and proprietary, cannot provide a comparable Microsoft Windows based product that offers the same specs for less money. A common mistake is saying RAM is RAM and thinking 16gb on a $500 dell, is the same as 16GB on a Mac. In reality the speed of the Mac ram is 20x faster without exagerating.

Also, when the M1 came out a year ago for the Mac mini for $599, the M1 chip at the time beat every single intel and AMD chipset on the market place, even processors that cost $2k+ just for the chip, while Apple was selling a whole computer with the M1 processor for $599.

It's not over priced. It's proprietary, with the trade off of performance and everything working.

To compare anything else would be like comparing a Hyundai to a BMW.
Actually there are plenty of windows-based products the equal of Apple products. And when a company REFUSES TO PROVIDE those proprietary chips to allow repair, makes deliberate design changes to prevent repair, etc. then it is obvious they intend to prevent anyone from repairing the product. When their own techs get caught LYING about the type and extent of damage in order to discourage repair it is obvious they want people to buy overpriced replacements when cheap repair is all that is needed.

And really? 20X faster? Please post links to unbiased third-party tests showing this.

illbananas

Honorable member
@Bigrig you are correct, it was late and there was not supposed to be a 0 at the end of the 2. When it came out it was 2x as powerful as the most powerful intel chip on the market. The M1 Mac mini came out 2 years ago and I am sure Intel has stepped their game up since. Healthy competition is what fuels technological development.

In my opinion, if a laptop or compact machine has a processor that goes bad, it is unrepairable anyway. I have never had a processor go bad in any of my Microsoft or Apple laptops, probably because I do not keep any of them longer than 5 years. My point was if you compare Apple to Microsoft laptops with comparable build quality, Apple does not seem so expensive anymore.

As far as comparing M1 chip to Intel, google M1 benchmarks and compare it to an intel processor. I challenge you to find an Intel processor that costs $1000 for just the processor, to an M1 Mac mini that comes with a processor, plus an entire computer. In respect to comparing M1's speed to Intel at the time of release, look at 2020 articles comparing the two. When the M1 processor was dropped, Intel's stock plummeted.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks