• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Books

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

teresita

Exalted member
I love reading and there is not a current thread on books so I thought Id start one.

Currently Im reading Dr Edells Eat Drink & Be Merry but if you dont listen to talk radio Dr Dean Edell wouldnt mean much to you. He was a talk radio doctor (former hippie) for about 30yrs with very liberal and straight forward advice. Loved it.

Next I want to read "Atlas Shrugged" Futuristic view of world politics (captialism?) and how lives are effected by them.

What are your favorites books, fact or fiction?

yb62338

I absolutely love to read. Some of my favorite books are the Classics, like Charles Dickens. I also have a guilty pleasure for modern trash reading, like Stephen King. Although I must say, Stephen King has written some really good books from time to time.

mlewis

Im reading the latest Dresden Files book!! Ghost STory..

Its a mixed feeling reading it.. been waiting so long for it to be out I could hardly stand it!! However, once Im done reading it (in a day or so.. I read a lot and fast) it will be another looong ass wait until I get to read the next!!

I have begun to only start a new series of books if there is already several in it, so I dont have to wait for a new one to be written!!

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
I read everything except non-fiction. Sadly it seems, I select my books by the size of the font.

Currently reading The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory.

Love historical fiction and books about disfunctional woman and/or families. Makes me feel like I have it together.

@mlewis, I do that w/books too. Always try to read them in order too. The librarian is good at printing out lists.

Also, even it's not a series, I like reading all the books written by an author I have stumbled across. Fun to see the range of stories one author can write. A current example would be Jodi Picoult. Love her stuff.

Last edited:

mlewis

@Fireplaces

I do the same thing!! I just read a bunch of books by Lisa Gardner.. I enjoy crime novels.. She spins a fun tale..

Im pretty eclectic with my reading, all over the place from true crime to vampire type novels to Robert B Parker to silly fluff like danielle steele..

Amazon delivery guy knows my house well...

snowangel308

Lapsed Senior Member
@Fireplaces I am the same way with liking to read about women and dysfunctional families. I also have kind of a morbid sense of wanting to read stories about someone losing a child. I haven't mentioned this on here, but I lost an infant a few years ago due to a genetic defect. I think it is this sense of reading about how people cope with the unthinkable tragedy----whether real life or fiction. It helps me to read about it and know that people survive things like that and turn out okay on the other side. I like mysteries too, but I am really bad about page skipping (drives the husband crazy) when I really want to know what is going to happen, I just want to hurry up and get to the end so any boring parts I just skip on over. I have a kindle and go through so many books it is crazy!

Playful

Lapsed Senior Member
One of my all-time fave reads is the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Historically based (so very many historical facts), time travel, 18th century Scotland, romance, sex, action, adventure, and a ruggedly handsome Highlander by the name of Jamie Fraser. *melting . . . again*

MNLady

Honorable member
I have several series of favorites.....Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone "alphabet" novels (currently 21 of them) about a private detective living in California and all set in the mid to late 1980's. I get the new one for Christmas every year there is a new one. :)

Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta novels about a medical examiner.

John Sanford's novels about a former cop, Lucas Davenport. Many of them take place in Minneapolis, so having that backdrop always makes a novel more interesting when it is from where you live. Most if all the books have the word "prey" in the title (Winter Prey, Rules of Prey, etc.)

Iris Johanson novels featuring forensic sculptor Eve Duncan. The forensic sculpting angle is different and way interesting.

There's some of my favorite series.

sambob

Banned
I'm currently reading 2030 by Albert Brooks. I've recently started reading the George RR Martin series Songs of Fire and Ice, just finished the 4th book A feast for Crows, He just put out the 5th book so I'll have to order it soon. If you are not familiar with this author, before you start the series realize that he may not finish it, at least that's what a lot of people think. Not really into this genre of books but I'm hooked.

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
@snowangel308, I am sorry you lost your baby. Can only imagine how heartbreaking that must be. My good online friend, RubixCube posted in Fibro thread about her losses. She miscarriaged 6 times. 6 angels she says. Anyway she is not online much but thought you could reach out to her if you want. Some grief does not leave us, only gets better with time I would hope.

My family (parents and my own) are very functional; so I don't know why I am drawn to those books about dis-functional families. Maybe coz I like the outrageous. I am also drawn to books about addicts, maybe to show myself that I am not one.

It's funny, I have a friend I give my books to sometimes and she was the one that pointed out that my choices tend to run along those lines.

I should get a kindle. My dd has one. What I like about it, is she can get a book at a moments notice and they are about 1/2 the price. I need to see how browsing works on kindles; as that is what I like to do. Browse and select a few books at the store.

Of course some of the big chains are going under, so browsing may be an activity of the past soon. It's is Barnes and Knobles or Borders, I can't remember?

On a related note, I am picking up an updated glasses prescription this week. My reader script went up alot. I am so glad as now when I read, my eyes get so tired.

Just rambling, but on topic I believe.

And wanted to add, great thread topic. There is another here somewhere. That was a good thread too. Nice to have someplace to go when looking for book suggestions.

Fire

Last edited:

snowangel308

Lapsed Senior Member
@Fireplaces I love my kindle!!! If you like to read you will love it! Something else neat about it is you can ahem...adjust the font to as small (or as big) as you want it. Not that you would need that or I need that or anything....hehehehe I have a blog I read (I could send you think link if ever interested) that daily posts free kindle books. These are books that are free for a limited time only so if I see one I think I might like, I download it. It has been great because I have been able to read so many wonderful books for free!!!

teresita

Exalted member
@MNLady I too like Sue Graftons alphabet books and I cant help but love Kinsey Milhoune. I cant believe she's already on U which I havent read yet. I like that they are set in the 80s, a time when I understood all the technology. And they dont necessarily have to be read in order but it helps somewhat. Unlike Kay Scarpetta books, Im so behind, I need to print out a list of the order because if you read those out of order, youre more confused than ever.
Cornwell is getting quite complex in the technology sense as far as autopsies and forensics go.

sambob

Banned
@snowangel308 I have a Kindle also, I mostly use it to read the New Yorker and I've downloaded some free books. I've noticed the blog that has daily list of free books. Is it worth it, have you found good books, from that blog? I guess I just assumed that there wouldn't be anything worth reading for free. Let me know, thanks!

MNLady

Honorable member
As far as free books on Kindle goes, there are tons of great books. Especially if there are classic novels you have never read. I don't own a Kindle, but I have a Droid smartphone and I downloaded the free Amazon/Kindle application, so my phone works just like the Kindle, only a little smaller. Even though I too am well into the age where people often need readers, I find the type to be very easy to read. I go to AMazon on my laptop to browse and buy any books I want and they get sent right to my phone.

Technology is pretty cool....even if I only use 10% of it. :)

sambob

Banned
@MNLady Yes I've downloaded a bunch of classic novels on my kindle, even some Fairy Tales for my daughter. Just more curious about the daily blog they offer on the kindle that shows you where to find free books for a limited time...Just wondering if it's worth it...

otouto

Just finished Wastelands a collection of short stories from various authors, got a whole bunch of favorite new authors to look up on now. Currently reading Home Fires by Gene Wolf, it's pretty interesting so far.

snowangel308

Lapsed Senior Member
@Fireplaces yes it was heartbreaking...she lived almost 2 days and we knew from halfway into the pregnancy that she would be leaving us shortly after birth. Not only that, but 4 years later, it happened again. This may explain why I am so overprotective of my children (as I told you in other posts) Sometimes it feels like yesterday when my heart was ripped out of my chest, and sometimes it feels years away and the pain is almost nonexisitent. Losing a child is something no one should ever have to experience....and I more than scarred several of my close friends for life as they say attending the funeral of a small child or baby will haunt you forever and have been told that is true. Anyway, talk about off topic. I mentioned it and wanted to follow up. It doesn't define me, but it does----make sense? Probably not. My thoughts are so jumbled today. I feel "off" Just one of those days. Maybe its because we didn't go to church.

OH and @sambob_us yes if you are talking about the same blog I am talking about, take the time to read about each book being offered....there is usually a little bit of something for everyone. I have found several religious fiction books that were awesome....as well as regular fiction, nonfiction, historical fiction, how-to books, all kinds of things... it is all about checking daily because something might be free today but not two days from now. I have missed out on some books that I ended up buying later and kicking myself because they were free for a limited time, but I missed the window. Amazon released a huge list of 99cent books by email a week or two ago and I didn't look at it but I think it was something that was for a limited time only. I wish I had checked some of those out because I bet there were some good ones there. Also as someone else mentioned...most classic books are free, so if you haven't read them or want to read them again you should check those out as well. I don't like the phone app because it is too small. That is just me though...I like haviing a seperate device that is just for reading books. I will admit, at first the idea of an electronic reader was not something I was interested in....I am one who loves books...I love the feel and smell of books. I still go to book stores and occasionally will buy a book just for kicks, but for the most part have gotten used to and LOVE the kindle.

WOW this post is long....how did that happen? lol

OH I just noticed....I am an "honorable member" now....I feel special... :)

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
Congrats on your status @snowangel308 and you are special. You do have true angels.

I went to the bookstore today and bought LOTS of books. I treated myself to the total trash which is Stephanie Plume series by Janet Evanovich. #14, 15, and 16. Hopefully there will be some funny, silly stuff.

For example, in one of these books (she's a bounty hunter), Stephanie had to go get a woman who was arrested for hijacking a Frito truck, as she had been on a no carb diet.

And Stephanie's side kick, ex-hooker Lula often is followed by dogs as she likes to carry pork chops in her purse as you never know when a girl is gonna get hungry. LOL.

Need some laughs. Also I p/u'd my new glasses and so now I can SEE!!!! Yea!!!!

snowangel308

Lapsed Senior Member
@Fireplaces okay I think I might have to try book one of that series and see if it catches me....if it holds my attention and is suspenseful and funny it sounds good to me. I also like the fact that there are already A LOT of books out in the series, so if I like the first one, I have a whole bunch more to read. The frito truck this is hilarious---my kind of humor ;) Thanks for the sweet words!

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks