• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Books

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

mlewis

@snowangel308

Off book thread for moment..
I dont have words to tell you how sorry I am for you.. or how sad that makes me... it breaks my heart to hear stories like that.. I know theres nothing anyone can say to help ease what youve been through.. I wish there was..

my daughter is my world.. Ive told her shes my lil reason so many times, now she will tell people 'Im mommys little reason.. Im the reason she lives, Im the reason she wakes up every day, and Im the reason she was born.." and shes right, she IS my reason..

I cant possibly imagine going through what you have.. I wasnt even supposed to be able to have children, so shes my gift from God.. thats actually the definition of her middle name.. Gift from God, or answered prayer.. I lost my mind when I lost my 2 older pupps in the last few years.. my heart aches for and goes out to you..

A book you might enjoy that I have read many times, is call Alex, the life of a child. Its by Frank Deford. Amazon.com: Alex: The Life of a Child (9781558535527): Thomas Nelson: Books its a heartbreaking and beautiful true story..

On a lighter note!!!

Looks like many of us have similar tastes in books!!!

no name

Honorable member
I am finishing the "Da vinci code" and will read the 2nd book in the series when im done- i have found it helps me while waiting for medical appts..

opiatetool

I use to read a lot but I can never seem to find the time anymore.I really love the classics,John Steinbeck-The Grapes of Wrath,William Burroughs-Junkie and Naked Lunch anything by Tolkien or Robert Ludlum.Maybe if I stopped watching so much tv and quit messing around on the computer I could actually find the time.But then again with my 7 and 3 year old girls plus twin girls that are a month old today It might be awhile before I read anything that doesn't involve Dr.Seuss or a mouse and a cookie.

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
OMG @opiatetool, that is a lot of young children. Maybe when the twins are napping, you can have the 7 year old read to the 3 year old? And you read too. Or take turns reading out loud?

My sister is an elementary school librarian and she suggested reading time at home w/my dd when she was young. Sometimes my dd would just flip through picture books. If I could get 10 minutes of quiet to read, it was a good day.

Maybe it won't work for you, but I'd keep trying. It's one way to share/bring your love of books to your children. And maybe, just maybe, you will get some time to read. Now that my dd is ten, we often spend an hour or so together just reading. And she is way above grade level. If she likes a book, she can tear through it in a day or two. It's been helpful during some recent injuries (not serious) that she has suffered which limit what she can do.

I hear you on the tv. After a long day of child care, moms are too tired to do much else.

Maybe you could read some easier books? That could help. Just some ideas. Maybe someone else will have something more concrete.

Short stories perhaps? Never my preference, but there are some good ones there.

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. I read it when I was in third grade, and it grossed me out. For those of you who haven't read it, it's about Ebola and Marburg in Africa breaking out, and it's all TRUE

Playful

Lapsed Senior Member
I found a hilarious kids book, WRITTEN FOR ADULTS, on Amazon the other day. Copy/Paste into a search on Amazon:

Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach and Ricardo Cortés

Here are few more "kids books" I thought rather humorous:
-Monsters Eat Whiny Children
-All My Friends Are Dead (dinosaurs)
-That's Not Your Mommy Anymore: A Zombie Tale

zackery

Distinguished member
I cannot find the thread, but want to thank the person that recommended Lincoln Child. Just finished one of his books last night -- Death Match -- it was really good. Guess he has not written much on his own -- but this book was interesting enough to finish it at 1:30am last night. Had to find out "who did it"??????

What I like about him as an author is there is not a lot of "fluff". I don't need to know what every piece of furniture looks like, or whatever. Get to the plot already. What was interesting was that his book was "wordy" but all interesting information. So no skimming over parts that don't keep your attention.

So thanks -- to whomever. Great book -- even if it was a little off the wall. Artificial intelligence by a "super" computer named Liza.

swedecream

My favorite book is the Bible.

I have read it several times and never get tired of it.

The Old Testament scares me. The New Testament is my favorite part, especially The Book of Revelations because of the cool prophecies about the end of the world.

Chichi

I cannot find the thread, but want to thank the person that recommended Lincoln Child. Just finished one of his books last night -- Death Match -- it was really good. Guess he has not written much on his own -- but this book was interesting enough to finish it at 1:30am last night. Had to find out "who did it"??????

What I like about him as an author is there is not a lot of "fluff". I don't need to know what every piece of furniture looks like, or whatever. Get to the plot already. What was interesting was that his book was "wordy" but all interesting information. So no skimming over parts that don't keep your attention.

So thanks -- to whomever. Great book -- even if it was a little off the wall. Artificial intelligence by a "super" computer named Liza.

Hey @zackery - I believe that was me! And yes, that was a great book.

Check out Utopia next, it's also a great as a stand alone. But, I'm a series/charater fan so I love books like that - and Pendergast is one of my favorites. First book in the series is Relic.

zackery

Distinguished member
Hey @zackery - I believe that was me! And yes, that was a great book.

Check out Utopia next, it's also a great as a stand alone. But, I'm a series/charater fan so I love books like that - and Pendergast is one of my favorites. First book in the series is Relic.

I am in the queue at the library for that book. Only have 2 people in front of me. I am sure I will enjoy it -- really liked Death Match.

So thanks -- will check out Pendergast -- another new one for me.

geoffqwerty

Read Body Hunters :How the Drug Industry Tests Its Products On the World's Poorest Patients, by Sonia shah this week . Very interesting read on how pharmaceutical companies go about testing new drugs on the third world ,particularly new copy's of patent expired medications.

katsierra

Lapsed Senior Member
I am currently reading catcher in the rye. Read it once before but that was many years ago, and I suddenly got in the mood to read it again. I also bought atlas shrugged and read a couple of pages. It is long and very heavy, but im sure it's worth a read.

Zanato

Fiction: A Song of Ice & Fire, by George RR Martin. The series is low fantasy, with a focus on faction warfare, extensive character development, and political intrigue. The story is brilliantly woven and the world rivals Middle Earth in complexity and scope.

Non-Fiction: Cronopios and Famas, by Julio Cortázar. The book is comprised of short, imaginative passages describing life and its absurdities through abstract, often bizarre metaphor. These passages are insightful, entertaining, and provide a great deal of content for thoughtful reflection.

BirdLover

Lapsed Senior Member
The book I'm reading now is Life After Death: The Evidence by Dinesh D'Souza. I really like how this author presents evidence of life after death using science and logic. Right now I am reading chapter 5 where he talks about how physics has changed and what Physicists now believe about our universe and the laws that govern it. It's really mind expanding stuff. I know when I finish this book I'm going to go back and read this chapter again, plus a few others.

riverstyx

Banned
@katsierra: if in mood for jd, and look online first for free versions, try his short stories again. a great day for bananafish. for esme, with love and squalor.
cool. i just researched him again few months back. i think on deadoralive.com.
but, we can find so much for free online.
good reminder of good author. quirky, but, hey whom is not?
QUOTE=katsierra;114130]I am currently reading catcher in the rye. Read it once before but that was many years ago, and I suddenly got in the mood to read it again. I also bought atlas shrugged and read a couple of pages. It is long and very heavy, but im sure it's worth a read.[/QUOTE]

jackson

Lapsed Senior Member
This thread has been awfully quiet...I thought I'd see if I could bring it around.

I'm currently reading Russell Banks' Lost Memory of Skin. So far so good, if a slightly tough topic.

Before that I read Still Life with Chickens, which was a memoir about buying a small house in need of work (and some chickens to go with it), which was recommended because I recently moved to the country.

In the last year, I've most enjoyed Brady Udall's The Lonely Polygamist and Chad Harbach's The Art of Fielding.

Would love to hear what you're reading and liking...

betsky

Eminent member
@teresita OMG I saw this thread and had to jump on it immediately. reading is my absolutely, positively etc.. Favorite hobby in my lifetime.
I try to read a range of genres as to not get into a rut.

My great kids recently bought me a kindle fireee
for christmes becausee with my m.s. and having to type for a living
it became hard to hold a book, esp. hard cover, w/out it shaking..
needlesss to say amazon ebooks LOVES me.
actually i just realized, since joining PR i've read only 1 1/2 books and my average is 4-5/week hmmmmmmmmmm

calamityjane

Lapsed Senior Member
I am a voracious reader as well, I read an average of 1-2 books a week. I am reading" Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost"~Holy crap he went through a lot~ I am now beginning to read some of the classics from the beat poets~Jack Kerouac,Allen Ginsberg, and William S. Burroughs. My favorite author is Henry David Thoreau I have read "Civil Disobedience" many times and of course "Walden". My next endeavor will be "100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s( or woman)Library. It includes books such as "The great Gatsby" "Catcher in the rye" and the "the iliad" to name a few. It is part of my bucket list.

jackson

Lapsed Senior Member
@teresita OMG I saw this thread and had to jump on it immediately. reading is my absolutely, positively etc.. Favorite hobby in my lifetime.
I try to read a range of genres as to not get into a rut.

My great kids recently bought me a kindle fireee
for christmes becausee with my m.s. and having to type for a living
it became hard to hold a book, esp. hard cover, w/out it shaking..
needlesss to say amazon ebooks LOVES me.
actually i just realized, since joining PR i've read only 1 1/2 books and my average is 4-5/week hmmmmmmmmmm

The Kindles look like great devices...Sounds like you're enjoying it a lot. Anything you miss about traditional books?

I've put off using one because I'm a library user (and cheap), and I don't want to pay for books. Seems like our library is getting more and more Kindle books...I suspect I'll pull the trigger and get one soon.

I am a voracious reader as well, I read an average of 1-2 books a week. I am reading" Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost"~Holy crap he went through a lot~ I am now beginning to read some of the classics from the beat poets~Jack Kerouac,Allen Ginsberg, and William S. Burroughs. My favorite author is Henry David Thoreau I have read "Civil Disobedience" many times and of course "Walden". My next endeavor will be "100 Must-Read Books: The Essential Man’s( or woman)Library. It includes books such as "The great Gatsby" "Catcher in the rye" and the "the iliad" to name a few. It is part of my bucket list.

That looks like a great list! Thanks for sharing. I think I enjoyed reading every book on there that I've actually read...Makes me think the others great.

You read some heavy stuff...

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks