• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Books

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Attorian

Lapsed Senior Member
Reading is a great passion of mine. My grandmother was a librarian. Unfortunately for me, I read about 100-200 pages of textbooks a night and it has all but killed my interest in pleasure reading.

My one and only 'shill' for this site. i hope I am using the term shill in its rightful capacity. If you have never read any Pat Conroy, please do. he is absolutely excellent. I am a homer by recommending him because we are both SC boys, but his prose is beautiful and his tales will thrum your emotions like a cheap banjo.

crucibelle

Lapsed Senior Member
I don't like most fiction, prefer non-fiction.... true crime, anything about psychology, philosophy etc. Right now, I'm reading "Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony" by Jeff Ashton.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 2 minutes after the last post:*

The book I'm reading now is Life After Death: The Evidence by Dinesh D'Souza. I really like how this author presents evidence of life after death using science and logic. Right now I am reading chapter 5 where he talks about how physics has changed and what Physicists now believe about our universe and the laws that govern it. It's really mind expanding stuff. I know when I finish this book I'm going to go back and read this chapter again, plus a few others.

That sounds like a book I'd be very interested in.

Last edited:

naughtysmurf

Exalted member
Last book i read was The Help. Loved it! When i was about 15 i read all of the Jackie Collins novels. I think i was probably too young cause it definetly brought out the bad girl in me! Anyone else like Jackie Collins? I think i'm going to hear virtual crickets...lol!

teresita

Exalted member
@betsky I used to read so much more too before I started this job I have (over 3 years ago) Now I read a few a year like 3 or 4 unless self help and go to reference books helps.

I too was always anti kindle, didnt think Id like it but I got my daughter the other ebook one, a little less expensive but cant remember the name and she loves it and is actually reading more. But reading on PR is where I do most of my reading too.

I always like the feel of a hardback book but liked to have paperback in my purse for a backup read (on breaks, waiting for something or other)

So whats everyone's current reads?

betsky

Eminent member
@jackson
like stated my children saved and pooled their allowance, ie skipped lunch once a week for 2 months and my oldest pitched in with his pay from work. i was shocked to tears xmas morning. surprisingly most books,i prefer nonfiction, are much cheaper and there is a section for "newer authors" many books being 99cents to $2.99. all are below manufacture prices. ive put on 87 books and the most i paid was the brand new Nora Robert for $6.99, bookstore price16.99 and up.
the fore is great cause its touchscreen and wireless web abled, so when my hands get too weird for the keyboard browsing PR its a much gentler option.

I usually read 4-5 books a week yet joining PR its only been 1 1/2

HHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm is this an addiction??? :) @crucibelle

mimi

Exalted member
Last book i read was The Help. Loved it! When i was about 15 i read all of the Jackie Collins novels. I think i was probably too young cause it definetly brought out the bad girl in me! Anyone else like Jackie Collins? I think i'm going to hear virtual crickets...lol!

The last book I read was "The Help" too, and I loved it! The movie came out recently, but I haven't seen it yet. I wonder if the movie is as good as the book is?

teresita

Exalted member
I do like a lot of fiction, Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, and Tess Gerristsen to name a few but I love bios too. Right now Im almost done with a Johnny Cash bio he wrote right before his death and Im reading an inspirational book from "The Red Hat Society" about laughter. I need to get online and get a lineup of patricia cornwell, kay scarpetta books in line because Im about 4 books behind and 2 behind in James Patterson's Alex Cross mysteries, but thats going to take me a year or more to catch up. I am really into these insprirational books, not quite the chicken soup for the soul, but phrases and ways to look at life in an amusing way. I guess I like most genres except just cant get into sci-fi. And while I like Stephen King, its 50/50 with his books. Some I cant put down and some I never pick back up. I order books used from half-price books a division of ebay and never spend more than 3 or 4 dollars.

I also like reading the old classics or used to, like gone with the wind (my favorite) or the Wizard of Oz (the monkeys are much scarier in the book) Id like to pick up Wicked and see how it compares.

Atlas Shrugged took me nearly 6mos to read, 1100 pages of tiny print but definetly a good read and uncannily relevant to todays economy although written in 1957.

Oh and I have Green Eggs and Ham, first edition that Ive been saving for @Keith K Stone. Keith I didnt forget;)

Bobble22

Banned
A few might find this one interesting : The Prince There are other translations, free as well.

Haven't read fiction for many years, since it served its purpose I suppose, and prefer to know what's going on anyway. Prefer movies for entertainment.

crucibelle

Lapsed Senior Member
@teresita -- That's something I forgot to mention that I enjoy, too -- biographies. Thus far, Drew Barrymore's is the most interesting I've read.

teresita

Exalted member
@teresita -- That's something I forgot to mention that I enjoy, too -- biographies. Thus far, Drew Barrymore's is the most interesting I've read.

I didnt know she had a bio. Does it have any family history because Im a big fan of her grandfather John Barrymore and his siblings, Lionel and Ethel. She herself for being so young has had an interesting life too. Thanks for the heads up.

jackson

Lapsed Senior Member
@teresita - How's the Johnny Cash autobiography? I didn't know he wrote one, and that it was written so late. Sounds interesting to me...

teresita

Exalted member
@jackson I'll have to check but I think its an "as told to" author though. But it is like reading Johnny Talk to you. But if you watched Walk the Line, the book will make you really wonder about hollywood drama. Also there were 5 kids not just him and a brother although the accident is mentioned a lot but for different reasons than what the movie implied. Nice quick read, if I just could stay awake long enough to finish it.

naughtysmurf

Exalted member
The last book I read was "The Help" too, and I loved it! The movie came out recently, but I haven't seen it yet. I wonder if the movie is as good as the book is?

No,the movie is not as good. They never are unfortunately! But worth watching anyway. @crucibelle,is the Drew biography the little one she put out like 20 years ago. It was a lot about her drug use and rehab? I read that one and i loved it too.

teresita

Exalted member
Almost always the movies are just not as good as the books. Sometimes I wont watch movies due to the fact that Ive got a great story in my head then get let down by the movie. The changes made can really alter a good story. But on the other hand, The Green Mile, Deloris Clairborne and Gone with the Wind are very much by the book. No need for added drama, its already there.

naughtysmurf

Exalted member
You're right about that@teresita. But some are completely off! Did you read Memoirs of a geisha? That movie was not telling the whole story but then again i guess they have to cut somethings otherwise the movie would last 4 hours! lol!

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 2 minutes after the last post:*

Or do you know the book Where The Heart Is? It's about a girl who who gives birth in a walmart? Amazing book but terrible movie!

Last edited:

mongoose

Distinguished member
Ferdinand Celine. Death on the installment plan, Journey to the end of the night. Every year since high school. I find that such exaggerated negativity, to the point of making me laugh out loud, tends to remind me that nothing's all that bad, just sometimes my point of view. And although I have come to prefer my kindle, I was halfway through the 1500 page version of Les Miserables when I either lost it or it was stolen. When I got a new kindle (and of course, mine disappeared around Christmas so it took a while to replace [backorder]) it loaded all my books that I bought but half of them I had downloaded from Project Gutenberg for free, Les Mis being one of them. So, not that I did, but for anyone who gets a kindle, don't get rid of your hard copies. If you're a reader (which you more than likely are if you're on this thread) and you get used to having that kindle with you everywhere you almost go into withdraws if it comes up missing.

I hope everyone has a great day today and a wonderful weekend.

calamityjane

Lapsed Senior Member
I have to admit the book "The Iliad" is probably the most intimidating book on the list~Which is why I plan to attend a workshop in a few weeks at a local bookstore, to discuss, analyze, and receive some help in Homeric Greek.

nelladeandill

I read a LOT
Preston and Child books, I've read them all. Science and a sort of James Bond character but brainy and no girl chaser.
If I could I would make people read these books, so wonderful:
Watership Down
Dune
The Chronicles of Amber
Different Season's Story, "The Body" by Stephen King
The Winds of War
All of the "Velvet" romances by Jude Devaurex
Robin Cook's latest, I enjoyed it.
There are some romance books strangely wonderful, right on the shelf with the crap.
No doubt there are wonderful books out there I have not yet found, which makes me exasperated and a little sad. Too many books, not enough time.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks