• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Can Doctors see all prescriptions u fill?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

mel114

Banned
Hello. I live in Texas and I recently overheard the nurse telling another patient that the Dr wasnt going to fill her Rx anymore because she saw where she had gotten the same med filled by another Dr a few days ago. I was wondering if they can see all prescriptions I have filled ? If so I have Is there away to hide them lol :-( I had been to a diff doctor and gotten my meds then i decided to switch to the dr I see now so I wanted to know!! Thanks!

lilrudegirl

Eminent member
I'm not sure about the specific prescription monitoring program of Texas, but each state (with the exception of Missouri) has its own prescription monitoring program that operates in numerous capacities. Any attempt to subvert the monitoring program would probably constitute prescription fraud.

shelle

Banned
@mel114 yes, I do believe Texas is using the standard RX monitoring database. They seem to run a little behind so you typically have about 15-20 days from the fill before it shows on the database.

I had to get the hydro cough syrup while in TX. The pharmacist took my DL--she didn't even touch the script. She walked over to the computer and put in all my info from my DL. She laughed and said to the tech but I could certainly hear her "Wow, first time all week I pulled someone who doesn't have anything filled by anyone."

This was at a large chain. So even the pharmacies are checking not just your doc.

If you weren't double-dipping your new doc probably won't care. If you went to old doc, got a script filled and went to the new doc and got a script filled within the period where the first docs rx should have covered you, then you will be looked at as doctor shopping. From what I can tell no one really cares why you saw two docs and got pain meds within the time period that would show you had 2 scripts for pain meds (or anything controlled) at the same time--if you did it, its difficult to explain. No one really believes the "I didn't like Doc A so I saw Doc B" not saying its not true, just saying they hear this stuff a billion times a day.

If you truly made a slip, and didn't take the meds from one of them you might stand a chance of taking Doc As rx'd meds into Doc B office and tell them what you did--do this s before they ask you about it.

Last edited:

Utopiate

Distinguished member
Hello. I live in Texas and I recently overheard the nurse telling another patient that the Dr wasnt going to fill her Rx anymore because she saw where she had gotten the same med filled by another Dr a few days ago. I was wondering if they can see all prescriptions I have filled ? If so I have Is there away to hide them lol :-( I had been to a diff doctor and gotten my meds then i decided to switch to the dr I see now so I wanted to know!! Thanks!

Here in Texas at least, if my insurance pays anything toward the prescription, that information is easy for a doctor or office staff to view. I've had it happen with a FNP at CVS. I just wanted some bactroban for an insect bite on my face and she reads the meds I take and gave me a real interrogation. I finally had to put a stop to it and say I just want some GD bactroban . . . tell me yes or tell me no but that is my only reason for talking with you any further. She gave me some tetracycline and I went home and filed two complaints and later another when her employer sent me a customer satisfaction survey.

So, if we are just talking your regular routine meds, it may just be up to your insurance and well the office is connected digitally speaking. Schedule V - II meds can be confirmed by the office as well through the "Prescription Access in Texas" system that keeps your records online for a year.

Here's their log in for "authorized users" http://www.texaspatx.com

It is scary for sure.

mel114

Banned
To 'lilrudegirl' I was joking about hiding the prescriptions obviously...... I was very curious about it. I love the Dr I have now and have no plans to leave her. I do not have insurance so Im cash pay. I noticed other states have the prescription monorting program but was not sure about Texas. Thanks for the info!!!

shelle

Banned
@mel114 if I were you and I did double-dip AND I could replace the Doc A meds (of course I am assuming I did take those) I would take the bottle in with the meds to my new doc and say "I didn't realize what I did would be viewed as doctor shopping/double dipping so I wanted to make sure you knew I still have these and so I won't need my next month's fill." Then I would make sure the nurse charted everything. I mean if I didn't want to lose my new fav doc. I have been accused of over - thinking. :)

Hope this helps!

PS: don't be fooled into believing if you pay cash vs insurance you won't hit the database--doesn't matter--it gets reported no matter!

Last edited:

tzabcan

Eminent member
I agree with @lilrudegirl.

I haven't been arrested for doctor shopping, but I have had a detective "talk" to me about it in person, at my HOUSE.

He paid a little visit. That was around ten years ago and was lots of fun.

The doctor shopping laws are even more strict now so I would think getting in serious trouble would be even easier these days.

notcharlotte

Exalted member
a question: someone mentioned above they keep scripts for a year on the computer. do they clear them after a year or are they still on there even if they don't effect the outcome? do different states have different times and when do they clear the scripts? when hearing about this program, i was assuming that they could pull up every script you ever had. i broke my pelvis three years ago: would they still see them? it's bad enough they go back a year but it seems a terrible invasion of privacy for your whole medical history to be scrutinized every time you go fill a script.

janebo

Banned
I called on Monday morning for an appointment with my Doctor's office but they couldn't get me in until afternoon on Tuesday. I thought I would die by about 1:00 Monday afternoon and went up to urgent care where they gave me a script for a few hydros to hold me until my appointment the next day. When I went to the doctor the next day, I told them I had gone to Urgent care and what I had been given, and then looked up as she pulled up my file and read me exactly what had taken place at Urgent care the day before. They are ALL linked and everyone can see anything you got from anyone, how many and when... This was in May and in Wisconsin, so...

C&T

Distinguished member
a question: someone mentioned above they keep scripts for a year on the computer. do they clear them after a year or are they still on there even if they don't effect the outcome? do different states have different times and when do they clear the scripts? when hearing about this program, i was assuming that they could pull up every script you ever had. i broke my pelvis three years ago: would they still see them? it's bad enough they go back a year but it seems a terrible invasion of privacy for your whole medical history to be scrutinized every time you go fill a script.

I was just looking into this. Each state sets it's own data retention time and it varies. Some states don't have any set time to purge records (scary). I found a really useful chart on Wikipedia that lays out the differences in each state. Look at "prescription monitoring program" entry in wiki.

notcharlotte

Exalted member
Thanks @CoryAndTrevor. My state keeps the records for six years. It's funny, however. My son had a lot of dental problems not quite a year ago and he kept going to different dentists because he couldn't afford the work they wanted to do. Yet he was never called on it--i guess they were far enough apart. Going to dentists has to look like doctor shopping--you go to the primary, he sends you to someone for gums, and then you get sent to the oral surgeon's. If you keep getting scripts you'd be in trouble. I guess as long as your time frame doesn't overlap you're alright. I wonder why no one has started a database of illegal drug users?

chris100

Banned
Hello friends. Here I Canada , anything from Benzos to Pain killers are looked at by any pharmacy we purchase from. It's all hooked up with our government. So if I get my script on Oct 30 and its good for 30 days , I can't go anywhere else for those 30 days and try to get another refill. It will show on the computer that I got it Oct 30 so they won't refill it unless they talk to the doctor or get a fax saying it will be fine to refill due to whatever reason it is. It's rare here to get strong meds from different doctors. You have a family doctor here and he is the one that will give you what you need. If I was to go to a walkin clinic to see a doctor , they are not aloud to give you any kind of benzos or PK. So it's tuff here to just get meds from any doctor and even if you did , the computer would show you have that medication already. So why are you refilling so soon. Can't do it. Pretty strict.

zzelda01

Honorable member
I was unaware the records ever purged. I checked on the Wiki information and Texas has no answer to that question on the page. I would be curious to know. Two years ago I had a physician who was giving me pain meds once a month, but he was killed in an automobile accident. It is impossible to find a physician now who will prescribe, for anything or any reason. My current doctor even has a giant poster in her office stating that if you need pain meds, you will be referred to pain management. There are only two PM doctors in this area and even though I do have chronic pain, I don't have insurance or funds to see PM physicians. I am 64 years old and will not have medicare until next year, not that it will help anyway, because of the state of things now in this state. Sorry, to rattle on, but if anyone knows the length of time the information is retained in Texas, I would like to know. Not critical info for me however, since I could die of the pain and would just get a response to take Tylenol (which is what I take, and a lot of them).

alumni

Renowned member
I was unaware the records ever purged. I checked on the Wiki information and Texas has no answer to that question on the page. I would be curious to know. Two years ago I had a physician who was giving me pain meds once a month, but he was killed in an automobile accident. It is impossible to find a physician now who will prescribe, for anything or any reason. My current doctor even has a giant poster in her office stating that if you need pain meds, you will be referred to pain management. There are only two PM doctors in this area and even though I do have chronic pain, I don't have insurance or funds to see PM physicians. I am 64 years old and will not have medicare until next year, not that it will help anyway, because of the state of things now in this state. Sorry, to rattle on, but if anyone knows the length of time the information is retained in Texas, I would like to know. Not critical info for me however, since I could die of the pain and would just get a response to take Tylenol (which is what I take, and a lot of them).

I believe prescription data in the Texas monitoring program is retained for one year then purged.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks