Checking in at healthcare facilities

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

I've noticed this inane practice over the past several years - where you go for an appointment or to walk in - be it a dentist, doctor, imaging center, blood test lab, etc. and you sign in, and the receptionist hands you the clipboard w/forms to fill in if you're a new patient or haven't been there in years, and then s/he (usually a she) has you hand over your ID or driver license and doesn't return it at least until you're done filling out the forms, maybe even longer.
WTF is this shit?! I didn't say anything at first, because I first noticed it at my pill clinic and with the DEA breathing down their necks, they are ultra strict and do things a certain way. Nobody can tell me it's for insurance purposes, because my local pill mills are cash only.
But then the walk-in urgent care clinics too, but they're kinda ghetto anyway, and staffed by PAs and NPs instead of MDs where I live, so I figured it was a different mentality - but makes me feel untrusted or something...yet I don't trust them, like is this so the staff can commit identity theft??
I recently went to get CBC bloodwork - same thing, but I guess by then, it was like a boiling frog effect, KWIM?
Finally, I started seriously questioning this fairly recent yet widespread practice when I had a CT scan a few weeks after that.

Am I the only one perplexed by this? Anyone here work in a medical facility to explain this? Or if you know why whether you work in one or not, please enlighten me. It feels more like Big Brother closing in on my rights to privacy ( I thought I once had them - was I misinformed? ), if I go in without ID or DL, would they deny me care and tell me to GTFO?

Last edited:

Shayna

Exalted member
I think this checking in and gathering identifications on patients has more to do with the Patriot Act then it does with any specific healthcare regulations.

This came about because at one point, some medical facilities were doing money laundering, ostensibly for terrorist groups.

I think this checking in and gathering identifications on patients has more to do with the Patriot Act then it does with any specific healthcare regulations.

This came about because at one point, some medical facilities were doing money laundering, ostensibly for terrorist groups.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I remember you from an old forum, so it's good to see a familiar name. It just chaps my hide that GW Bush wiped his arse on our constitution. Our founding fathers are probably rolling in their graves. I feel odd at club meetings and events where reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is customary..."...with liberty and justice for all." Liberty? :rolleyes: So the patient has to be inconvenienced for what these facilities' screw-ups. Justice? :rolleyes: The patriot act is reactionary as all hell.

Last edited:

Gullible

Exalted member
Speaking of the patriot act, a misnamed law if there ever was one, I heard it expired in june of this year and has not been renewed. That is good news for sure. But if sleepy joe gets in, it will be reinstated without a doubt and made even more evil