Chicago Customs - Recent Experiences?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

buzzkill

I finally got the one that departed Chicago and has been "In Transit" ever since. It was 18 days since leaving Chi, and 6 weeks total transit time. Good luck everybody.

Wow. 6 weeks is a looong time. Still hard to believe that the folks we depend on can just totally give up at their jobs. Can you imagine what would happen if DHL, FedEx, or ups started taking this long to deliver?

I'm sure that there are some extenuating circumstances, but the 6 week +- thing is becoming the new "normal".

1989greyfox

This is the first time my order went through Chicago ISC. How does Chicago compare with NYC customs? Are the odds worse for a pack to get through chicago customs?

Zen_Life II

Distinguished member
Wow. 6 weeks is a looong time. Still hard to believe that the folks we depend on can just totally give up at their jobs. Can you imagine what would happen if DHL, FedEx, or ups started taking this long to deliver?

I'm sure that there are some extenuating circumstances, but the 6 week +- thing is becoming the new "normal".
@buzzkill @Raspberry- I emailed the vendor earlier today to inquire about another order (going to stock up now since it is taking so long) and asked about what they are hearing from their customers. 40+ days on average was what they have been hearing, but people are getting their orders (it sounds like they are for most, anyway). I am going to try a couple of new vendors that @Raspberry and I discussed offline that other PR'ers have suggested on the various threads. Thanks @Raspberry for your wisdom. I really appreciate it and your friendship! :heart:

I fully expect to wait 6+ weeks, but I think it's better to stock-up now while we can. Who know what will happen with the new USPS Chief. I hear UPS is having trouble, too, but nothing like USPS. I wish more vendors offered private express mail service to the US.

Take are everyone!

p.s. @1989greyfox - my order came through Chicago. It is definitely a black hole. Good luck!

Last edited:

jaders

Eminent member

We’re pretty friendly with our postal person and he was telling us, not only are they VERY shorthanded yet SLAMMED with mail due to so many folks ordering online now, but the new postal czar is demanding that there be no more overtime work, to save money. Our guy said it’s about double what it usually is during the holidays. So personally I wouldn’t be so hard on the USPS folks. It’s a lot easier for the private carriers - they are generally quite a bit more expensive, don’t deliver to a lot of rural areas which is time consuming and have less volume.

For me, I’ve always been impressed with the job USPS does, considering what they’re dealing with. I can’t think of a time I’ve actually just “lost” any sort of package. And I’m old...:rofl:

Good article if you’re interested: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...hutting-down-rural-america-native-communities

Last edited:

Artknowsme

Honorable member
We’re pretty friendly with our postal person and he was telling us, not only are they VERY shorthanded yet SLAMMED with mail due to so many folks ordering online now, but the new postal czar is demanding that there be no more overtime work, to save money. Our guy said it’s about double what it usually is during the holidays. So personally I wouldn’t be so hard on the USPS folks. It’s a lot easier for the private carriers - they are generally quite a bit more expensive, don’t deliver to a lot of rural areas which is time consuming and have less volume.

For me, I’ve always been impressed with the job USPS does, considering what they’re dealing with. I can’t think of a time I’ve actually just “lost” any sort of package. And I’m old...:rofl:

Good article if you’re interested: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...hutting-down-rural-america-native-communities
I agree with you. For the most part USPS does a very impressive job considering the demand. I just wish whoever agreed to accept "parcel select" with Fed Ex and UPS said no way. They made other business errors, but this was by far the worst. As for never loosing anything, I used to claim that too, until this year. Lost an art piece that I worked on for over a year. All that work...gone. I had to wait for over a month for them to do a search for it, and finally got the go ahead to file a claim.
So now the problem is not allowing that one negative experience feed any disdain for the USPS. Why is it like that? So easy to gloss over all of the beauty of a diamond, and only focus on the flaws?

Brianna9

Eminent member
No I didn’t, although I did get the other vendor to reship today so here is to another 2 months:giggle:. On 17 Track, one of mine went into customs a Mid July although it had been sitting there for a month. Usps doesn’t provide any tracking just says label created now, So Im not sure what’s going on there. The other is in opps, which it has been for a while, just contacted that vendor too.

buzzkill

Don't get me wrong, my local po is fantastic. They are very good at their jobs and very helpful. They carry garbage bags for wrapping packages that they leave when no one is home to protect from the weather, and they even carry dog biscuits for the ones they know(mine loves when the po buggy shows up).
It seems that the receiving hubs are where the bulk of the "just don't cares"work. Especially Chicago, that one is the worst. I cringe whenever a package of mine lands there.

Raspberry

Eminent member
July 24, 2020, 9:06 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Still waiting in New York City.
trying to stay positive
never had anything seized
want to keep that record.

You aren't unique in wanting an untarnished record. We all want that. Most of us try to be smart and safe and use our super seizure avoiding powers. When someone gets a ll, its' a sad day.

Best of luck to you!:nod:

Stlgirl

@Crose44 and @Stlgirl I am so sorry to hear that! Why do they have so much time to write ll's when they are so bogged down? It doesn't seem right.

Hopefully things will get better soon.

Thanks. I had the exact same question. WTH are they doing up there? All the mail everywhere is late and we have major issues happening in the country. Unemployment is through the roof but they’re taking their sweet time inspecting tiny freaking packages! :dull:

yellnhollar

Honorable member
My reshipping just got sent to Chicago. I’m hoping this one goes through. I’ll be sadly in painful trouble if it gets hung up!

cupeater

I just had a shipment arrive on the West Coast and it was in Chicago for only six days. IMO that packaging wasn't very discrete, but it worked just fine. I was kind of surprised at the speed with all the chaos going on. Hopefully this keeps happening for future packages. I've had really random delays with international shipping. Some packages have been coming through right on time and some have been delayed. It's hard to tell what is pandemic related and what isn't.
Package was shipped from Europe on 7/15 and arrived in Chicago on 7/24.

liltiki2

Honorable member
I just had a shipment arrive on the West Coast and it was in Chicago for only six days. IMO that packaging wasn't very discrete, but it worked just fine. I was kind of surprised at the speed with all the chaos going on. Hopefully this keeps happening for future packages. I've had really random delays with international shipping. Some packages have been coming through right on time and some have been delayed. It's hard to tell what is pandemic related and what isn't.
Package was shipped from Europe on 7/15 and arrived in Chicago on 7/24.
@cupeater Were there any scans between Chi and your destination?