• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Co Proxamol ( I think it is called Darvocet in other countried)

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Missmolly

Banned
Hi, I was first prescribed this when I was 14 and had no idea that they were making me " high" until a teacher told me, anyways, as I had them on repeat, I was getting them free for years, Then the UK banned them my GP told me that they were weaker than the other Pk available, but. I actually found them stronger than DHC, codeine, and tramadol, but I have been told that the opiod in them was a very weak one?. I find this hard to believe as I would put it on par with small doeses ( 10-20mg of morphine ). maybe my body just had a strong reaction to that particular opiod.

I was wondering if anyone else found it as strong as I did and I am wondering what the real reason was for the ban? are they banned in other countries.

A google search did not mention anything useful and the search engine here does not have any significant info. For such a powerful narcotic this suprises me

lilrudegirl

Eminent member
I used to get prescribed darvocet for dental procedures. I remember i didn't even fill the scrip every time because all they seemed to do was upset my stomach. i wasn't broken up about it when they discontinued rx'ing it here in the states.

Alwayswaiting

Lapsed Senior Member
Hi, I was first prescribed this when I was 14 and had no idea that they were making me " high" until a teacher told me, anyways, as I had them on repeat, I was getting them free for years, Then the UK banned them my GP told me that they were weaker than the other Pk available, but. I actually found them stronger than DHC, codeine, and tramadol, but I have been told that the opiod in them was a very weak one?. I find this hard to believe as I would put it on par with small doeses ( 10-20mg of morphine ). maybe my body just had a strong reaction to that particular opiod.

I was wondering if anyone else found it as strong as I did and I am wondering what the real reason was for the ban? are they banned in other countries.

A google search did not mention anything useful and the search engine here does not have any significant info. For such a powerful narcotic this suprises me told that the opiod in them was a very weak one?. I find this hard to believe as I would put it on par with small doeses ( 10-20mg of morphine ). maybe my body just had a strong reaction to that particular opiod.

Hey there, I do know that they don't make them anymore in the U.S. But i do remember them well...I forget why they quit making them though...I always thought they were about the same as Tylenol 3. I think I had them off and on for minor ailments.

Mira

Exalted member
Hey there, I do know that they don't make them anymore in the U.S. But i do remember them well...I forget why they quit making them though...I always thought they were about the same as Tylenol 3. I think I had them off and on for minor ailments.

Okay, I'm going to be a ball buster for a minute... Check out the link I posted. It tells why it was banned. ;)

Ravenousbird

Banned
I received Darvocet YEARS ago when my wisdom teeth (I had 6 and most people only have 4) needed to be extracted.

Briefly, my understanding is that Darvocet contains opioids which are synthesized and interact with your dopamine receptors in the same way which opiates do. Ingesting darvocet will produce a high somewhat similar to that of hydrocodone. However, based on my own experience, I've found that the side-effects (and I don't mean the good ones) of darvocet are worse than those of say percocet or hydrocodone. I felt really sick on them and broke out in hives (a now known negative reaction to it).

I believe as @Mira pointed to in the article she left a link to, that there were many deaths from OD's and from drug interactions as well as an interaction (fatal) with grapefruit juice with even just a single dose of this medication. That's just a quick run down.

Missmolly

Banned
Darvocet was known as pink tylenol or pink tic tacs (candy) here. I'd be inclined to agree. They did nothing for me.
As with a lot of meds, they work for some, and not for others.
They were banned because they were linked to dangerous side effects.
Here's some info.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20101119/darvon-darvocet-banned

wow, I did not know that, but at least "Long-term users should not worry: The heart effects are not cumulative," he says. "Once people stop using propoxyphene, the side effects should go away."

I was stopped cold turkey and I just knew that my doc was keeping something from me. I broke my fingers recently and I reckon if I had darvocet it would cure my pain, better than the dhc im using now.

Mira

Exalted member
I received Darvocet YEARS ago when my wisdom teeth (I had 6 and most people only have 4) needed to be extracted.

Briefly, my understanding is that Darvocet contains opioids which are synthesized and interact with your dopamine receptors in the same way which opiates do. Ingesting darvocet will produce a high somewhat similar to that of hydrocodone. However, based on my own experience, I've found that the side-effects (and I don't mean the good ones) of darvocet are worse than those of say percocet or hydrocodone. I felt really sick on them and broke out in hives (a now known negative reaction to it).

I believe as @Mira pointed to in the article she left a link to, that there were many deaths from OD's and from drug interactions as well as an interaction (fatal) with grapefruit juice with even just a single dose of this medication. That's just a quick run down.

I found that it did not have any pain relief for me and did not have any effect on even the mildest heroin withdrawl back in the day. Other true opiates/opioids (I get them confused sometimes) would hold off heroin withdrawl but darvon or darvocet never did. That lead me to believe that its either an extremely weak drug and/or its chemistry is just not the same. Aside from that little experiment of mine, in other times sans heroin, it did nothing for pain for me. Codeine even worked better.
We're all different. :)

H20shed65

Famous PRer
@Alwayswaiting

All drugs are required to pass a "Does the Benefit outweigh any Risks" test while in Phase 3 Trials. Propoxyphene or Darvon is a Legend Drug and therefore did not undergo the rigorous testing that new medications today do. Aside from the issues pointed out in the link @Mira provided, multiple studies have shown Darvon to have the same, or less analgesic potency of two 325 mg aspirin. This was yet another reason it was taken in large doses as well as being eventually removed from the market.

Ravenousbird

Banned
I found that it did not have any pain relief for me and did not have any effect on even the mildest heroin withdrawl back in the day. Other true opiates/opioids (I get them confused sometimes) would hold off heroin withdrawl but darvon or darvocet never did. That lead me to believe that its either an extremely weak drug and/or its chemistry is just not the same. Aside from that little experiment of mine, in other times sans heroin, it did nothing for pain for me. Codeine even worked better.
We're all different. :)

Well, we're not different on that end; all I got out of it was extreme hives... as in ALL OVER MY BODY like huge welts.

I think it must have something to do with the fact that Darvocet being synthesized is propoxyphene and percocet/percodan and hdrocodone are oxycodone... so a true opioid vs a synthesized one.

The hives were the worst they were 2 inches wides and all over my body.

Mira

Exalted member
Well, we're not different on that end; all I got out of it was extreme hives... as in ALL OVER MY BODY like huge welts.

I think it must have something to do with the fact that Darvocet being synthesized is propoxyphene and percocet/percodan and hdrocodone are oxycodone... so a true opioid vs a synthesized one.

The hives were the worst they were 2 inches wides and all over my body.

Yikes!
I've never met anyone that liked that drug. I'm sure some had to though because it was around for many years.

Alwayswaiting

Lapsed Senior Member
Okay, I'm going to be a ball buster for a minute... Check out the link I posted. It tells why it was banned. ;)

Ok but in all fairness when I began replying to this there were no other replies yet lol..or my iPad is slow

After going back and looking at the posting times I can only assume my iPads borked, lol. Time for a restart!

Last edited:

Missmolly

Banned
Yikes!
I've never met anyone that liked that drug. I'm sure some had to though because it was around for many years.

I think it must just have a unique effect certain peoples bodies, as I would rate it higher than the usual hard to get stronger opiates, yet in a medical sense it is a weaker opiate.:confused:

anyways its banned now, so ill just have to stick to what I have.

Mira

Exalted member
Ok but in all fairness when I began replying to this there were no other replies yet lol..or my iPad is slow
After going back and looking at the posting times I can only assume my iPads borked, lol. Time for a restart!

I cant put the rolling laughing emoticon because it makes @Mecha nauseous but picture it here> _______

Jazie

Exalted member
Aw, Darvocet those huge pink/red horse pills that never ever did anything for me for pain. I took Darvocet's older sister Darvon for years for cramps and am happy I am alive. It did work for me. I knew a couple girls from HS and College that died from using that drug.

I think I may even have some still from 20+ years ago thrown in a box of old meds. My ex and I from back when would clean out the medicine drawer we used and throw stuff in a box we kept on the top shelf of one of the linen closets. This just brought back memories and next time home I will be on a scavenger hunt to see what is really in there. If he didn't take it. Totally forgot about it... It is not in visible sight. Hmm, I wonder if (lol, would not be good) any old bottles of Breacol cough syrup (I think that was it) are in there as he threw old ones into it when he bought new. Loved that syrup and it worked!

Spector

Distinguished member

Alicenwonderland

Eminent member
I remember these also. I remember them being like a hydro 5mg. That was back when I didn't have an opiate tolerance and weighed 100lbs at 17 years old. I did get an itchy face from them. I had generic Motrin once that were bright orange and made me break out in hives and I swelled like a balloon. The dye in these medications I think is the cause of my allergic reactions. I've had white Motrin and didn't have that problem.

Ravenousbird

Banned
Aw, Darvocet those huge pink/red horse pills that never ever did anything for me for pain. I took Darvocet's older sister Darvon for years for cramps and am happy I am alive. It did work for me. I knew a couple girls from HS and College that died from using that drug.

I think I may even have some still from 20+ years ago thrown in a box of old meds. My ex and I from back when would clean out the medicine drawer we used and throw stuff in a box we kept on the top shelf of one of the linen closets. This just brought back memories and next time home I will be on a scavenger hunt to see what is really in there. If he didn't take it. Totally forgot about it... It is not in visible sight. Hmm, I wonder if (lol, would not be good) any old bottles of Breacol cough syrup (I think that was it) are in there as he threw old ones into it when he bought new. Loved that syrup and it worked!

The only cough syrup I ever liked was J. Collis Browne's. Now that was years and years ago and I would be loath to consume it again as it is incredibly addictive. I actually (about 18 months) stumbled across some on Ebay.

mixture-100ml-expanded.jpg

Missmolly

Banned
I remember these also. I remember them being like a hydro 5mg. That was back when I didn't have an opiate tolerance and weighed 100lbs at 17 years old. I did get an itchy face from them. I had generic Motrin once that were bright orange and made me break out in hives and I swelled like a balloon. The dye in these medications I think is the cause of my allergic reactions. I've had white Motrin and didn't have that problem.

Your remarks got me thinking, I was prescribed these as I was going through puberty and weighed about 80 pounds ( I was very petite), so as they were my first opiate, maybe that is why it appeared so strong to me, or maybe I was mis remembering things, in the same way UKIPers do when they Hark about Great Britain was at one time. I expect if I took them now, I would not get the same effect.

Swishtaps

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm glad it worked for some people but I was prescribed darvocet by a dentist once and I'd describe it as tylenol with horrible side-effects. I felt and looked flushed, eventually woke up in the middle of the night with a panic attack and couldn't sleep. I threw the remainder of it the bottle away.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks