• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Covid Vaccine: Who’s had it? [Mod's note: post only if you've had the vaccine]

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

I had first Moderna shot a week ago. Only symptoms were a sore shoulder that night where they injected and then the next day some muscle soreness and stiffness in lower back. Family member also had Moderna (both shots) and had mild fever and body wide muscle aches for a few days. So I suppose side effects will vary, even among close family members.

Ellyn

Distinguished member
First Moderna shot this morning. I have a sore arm and that's pretty much it. I anticipate a pretty sore arm tomorrow, possibly a little all-over achyness. I'm not worried about it. I'll report back after Shot 2. Full disclosure - I rarely have B symptoms (the symptoms you get from an immune response) when I get a vaccine. Even when I got the smallpox vaccine as a little kid I only had a small mosquito-bite type reaction, according to my mother - no oozing sore, and no scar either. But the second shot may be the exception, as most people I know who've gotten two have said that they felt pretty crummy for about 2 days after the second shot (and then they were fine).

Benzokid

Very interesting to hear everyone’s experiences. I suppose side effects will always differ from person to person.

Annika

My parents have had the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and my mom said that they didn’t have any side effects.

They were worried about the wait because they went to a big facility and my dad can’t stand long, so my dad brought one of those walkers you can use as a chair in case he needed it. However, it turned out that they only had to wait 15 minutes. My mom was actually very impressed with how organized everything was. But, of course, I’m only speaking for my county.

just had second Moderna vaccine and minimal symptoms this time around: some stiffness and swelling in arm where injected and some increased joint pain in one joint where I have osteoarthritis. Glad to have it over with; at least for this year.

Mrs Parker

Exalted member
I got my first dose of Moderna about a month ago and will be getting my second dose at the end of this week.
I had fever, chills, body aches, and a lot of pain in my shoulder and all the way down my arm, but I have osteoarthritis
in that joint and nerve damage from degenerative disc disease that affects that arm so I kind of expected the pain.

If you are about to get your first dose I would suggest having fever reducers on hand- I used Tylenol, I used topical lidocaine
for local pain, and you might want to plan to take a day off to rest and give your body a break if it's possible. I've heard
that the second dose of Moderna can cause slightly worse side effects, but even if it is worse, it seems like such a small
price to pay for some peace of mind.

I'm still going to mask up and avoid large gatherings and all the other important stuff because of the variants, but
having the weight of the worry lifted even a little bit has been huge.

Take the best care, everybody!

Edit to add: Maybe the most important thing- please remember to get it in your non-dominant arm!
I'm right handed and got it on my right side and that was just plain dumb! Don't make my mistake! :)

Last edited:

Synergistic

Arrogant fact-checker
If you are about to get your first dose I would suggest having fever reducers on hand- I used Tylenol, I used topical lidocaine
for local pain, and you might want to plan to take a day off to rest and give your body a break if it's possible.

For some reason they specifically told us not to take Tylenol or NSAIDs for any symptoms from the vaccine, I guess maybe so your immune system can get on with it or something - just thought it was odd to include Tylenol in their warning because I had only ever heard about avoiding NSAIDs.

Wish I would've thought of the lidocaine though, would've felt nicer lol

jaders

Exalted member
for local pain, and you might want to plan to take a day off to rest and give your body a break if it's possible.

For some reason they specifically told us not to take Tylenol or NSAIDs for any symptoms from the vaccine, I guess maybe so your immune system can get on with it or something - just thought it was odd to include Tylenol in their warning because I had only ever heard about avoiding NSAIDs.

Wish I would've thought of the lidocaine though, would've felt nicer lol

I heard that too about not taking aspirin, in that it slows the immune response. Makes sense, as you WANT your body to "react." But it must not be a huge deal or that would likely be universal advice altho it doesn't seem to be. I have several friends and a sister who had zero reaction, and even my sister and her hubby had no reaction to the second dose. Was pfizer tho too. Anyway @Mrs Parker. I completely agree that the peace of mind of less worry is greatly welcomed, in my case... 🙏

Omega_Human

Distinguished member
CDC says you can take Tylenol or ibuprofen, but not before. Wait until you really feel like sh!t. Moderna told study participants to not take anything for 6 hours, it will be double that before you truly feel bad. It was at the 18 hour mark that i was considering taking promethazine. Didn't , and nausea went away before 20 hours. Then took something for pain and the feeling like crap part was gone at that point. Tired for another day... but tired everyday now. Only me loosing my mind.

jaders

Exalted member
Just got the moderna vaccine this afternoon. Nothing so far for side effects. The person who gave it hadn't heard anything about not taking ibuprofen or tylenol, so it must not be any advice "across the board." Now to wait one more month and see if the second shot makes for worse symptoms. I've heard it can, but I'll be happy to get this all behind me just the same . Had a dinner with six folks tonight and we're all vaccinated. So nice to relax and not worry about who's seeing who...:)

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks