DEA Call Scam??

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

SteveWard3928

I recently purchased Tramadol from MedsMD.com.

I received a phone call today (on my machine) stating this is ^&^^* from the DEA and Dept. Of Justice. Wanting to ask me a few questions and if I do not get a call I will get a search warrant. Now I am thinking why would you tell a person you will get a search warrant...and give them a chance to get any evidence out of the house??

I received a call like this last year which I ignored and nothing came of it. Today I was looking around and seen that people call patients claiming to be a representative of the DEA and are scamming people out of money.

As of Jan. 2014 Tramadol is NOT a controlled substance, although I heard that might change in June of 2014.

I looked up the number and it came back with a name of: Rockville, MD (no actual name of any agency only a location)

So I did a reverse number check on a number I KNOW is the DOJ and it came back: From Washington DC and associated with DOJ. It even had a link to their website.

Has anyone received calls like this or heard of this before?

Thanks, Steve

SteveWard3928

Thank you Snowy, that was my thoughts exactly. Now if I was trying to get a controlled substance (Vicodin, tylenol3, valium et....) I would be worried. But as of today tramadol is NOT "controlled".

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Carter. I guess I did answer my own question. Just when it happens to you.....people get nervous and play the "What if" game in their heads.

Stevo2

Eminent member
@SteveWard3928 - don't worry at all about this. 99.99% odds that it's a scammer. The DEA would not come after you for a non-scheduled med, let alone leave a wacky message on your machine. If they call back, tell them to F-off and that you'll report them to the real authorities ;) Or if you want to play along for a bit and see what 'questions' they have for you, it might be funny. Probably along the lines of, "what's your SS#, drivers license number, mother's maiden name, and your bank account details?". haha

napper

Distinguished member
@SteveWard3928 - don't worry at all about this. 99.99% odds that it's a scammer. The DEA would not come after you for a non-scheduled med, let alone leave a wacky message on your machine. If they call back, tell them to F-off and that you'll report them to the real authorities ;) Or if you want to play along for a bit and see what 'questions' they have for you, it might be funny. Probably along the lines of, "what's your SS#, drivers license number, mother's maiden name, and your bank account details?". haha

Love your advice, @Stevo2, these people are scum.

SteveWard3928

Well it has been almost 2 weeks ago I received that phone call and nothing since. So I am considering it a dead issue. Thanks to all those that replied and put my nerves at ease. Steve

HarryIrene

Renowned member
When you pick up the phone place the phone next to this lil' diddy..They love it, the folks on the other end of the phone goin'
"Hello", What?" Huh!"...Tappin their feet and stuff...and it resonates in they're cranium.. It's insanely comical...Oldie, but a Timeless Goody to fuk with them, unless it is a robot of course,. Then you have too deactivate the Robot for good. Destroy the Robots. They will destroy you first if you don't strike. Heed my Warning.........

ThatGirlEmme

Honorable member
There was one who called my 84 year old mother's house because my sister had used her address when she was staying there for a while. Scared the hell outta her the first time; but she did the right thing and called her lawyer who told her it was a scam. The second time they called (after my sister had died) and I happened to be visiting her, I grabbed the call. And they had the balls to say there "were agents waiting outside to arrest" my sister if she did not MG them like $500 in the next thirty minutes.

I said "Really? Guys right outside? Can they see my husband up on the roof with his .308 rifle?" Click.

Obviously, my husband wasn't on the roof. He wasn't even at my mom's house with me. But I don't think it was a question they were quite ready for.

Purrsephone

Lapsed Senior Member
I was going to ask how pretending to be a DEA agent would help you scam someone? I thought maybe if the vendor you purchased from didn't send the product, and then called to scare you, maybe you wouldn't pursue said vendor for the product or the refund. But why on gods green earth would a DEA agent be asking anyone for money??? Haha that is just ridiculous!! Was it that they were pretending to be willing to take a bribe? Or just flat out DEA needs your money? So strange! And sad to think of any people who actually fell for it!!

ThatGirlEmme

Honorable member
I was going to ask how pretending to be a DEA agent would help you scam someone? I thought maybe if the vendor you purchased from didn't send the product, and then called to scare you, maybe you wouldn't pursue said vendor for the product or the refund. But why on gods green earth would a DEA agent be asking anyone for money??? Haha that is just ridiculous!! Was it that they were pretending to be willing to take a bribe? Or just flat out DEA needs your money? So strange! And sad to think of any people who actually fell for it!!

They basically try to sell it as "paying a fine for importing prescription meds", but the fine must be paid within the hour, by MG, or the agents waiting outside will come and arrest you.

What's sad is that if they call 600-800 old or naïve people a day, and manage to make the $500 out of just a couple, they're making a fortune.

HarryIrene

Renowned member
It's not the DEA .If they wanted your ass for moderately small beans...They would be (I'm just guessing here) kicking yer' door open with a swift kick. Down. So i wouldn't worry...Tell them to GGTFF and come back with a search warrant little peckerwoods. Use some psychology on the little bastards. HA! Screw 'em...
They have nothin' better do to right? Gimme' a break!

Also, when yer' feelin' goofy..Put the phone down next to the speaker playing this tune...they just love ir...One of their faves,,,

Last edited:

Purrsephone

Lapsed Senior Member
@ThatGirlEmme- ah, I see! That kind of makes sense, except that it really does NOT! Hopefully people should know that you have to be tried and convicted before having to pay a fine!! Back in my younger and even less stable days, I procured something I shouldn't have during a police surveillance. I was able to ditch said item, but police saw me, so wouldn't let it go! I told them that I had asked someone for something, but got turned down, so I had done nothing wrong I thought! Wrong! Got ticket for "intent to engage in narcotic activity". Was eventually dropped, but you never know what they can get you on!!
@Harry Irene- I LOVE your style!!

ChesterCat

Banned
So I did a reverse number check on a number I KNOW is the DOJ and it came back: From Washington DC and associated with DOJ.

How to Spoof Caller ID

I had 3 calls directly from the "White House" last year. Apparently, the President was inviting
my Wife and I to some kinda social function.

Only to find out........ close friend [azzhole] of ours figured out the spoofing thing. Knowing i'm
affiliated with the Gov't, he apparently thought we'd fall for the "invite"

Purrsephone

Lapsed Senior Member
@ChillyCat- that's a lot of money to spend just to play a silly joke on someone! I mean, I hope they signed up for the service for some other valid reason! It's an intriguing idea for April fools though. Also, I am going to be thinking twice about every phone call I get for a long time after reading this!!!

Stevo2

Eminent member
@Purrsephone - I can tell you that there absolutely is a way to do this on emails! I've had it happen to me before. People can fairly easily spoof the 'from' on an email. Depending on the type of email software or service you use, it can be pretty transparent what's happening, or you'd never know it really wasn't who you thought it was from.

ChesterCat

Banned
[MENTION=23176] that's a lot of money to spend just to play a silly joke on someone!

Hard core coders/hackers and some other "assorted" techies...... ain't paying for the service.
They get all their stuff...... free !

But some funny azz shenanigans, can sure be played