• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Dental Surgery

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member
Greetings All,

Had 3 teeth taken out in hospital on Friday.

All went well until this morning when one of the cavities started causing pain, so I took some PK but it has got gradually worse, a lot worse.

Anyway am in bed now having taken my usual 60 mg of Zomorph, and 10 mg Oramorph, 45 mins and no siģn of any pain relief yet.

Back to the hospital tomorrow am,, but should I take a little more PK? If it gets better by tomorrow I may try and tough it out?

feisty

Distinguished member
How are you feeling now? I would be careful taking to much as that is how people have accidental overdoses and pass away. I would say Call the on call dentist if no. Relief. .

Did it calm down? Hoping you are feeling better and can rest tonight. Sending prayers for you and hugs ��

Rylee

Eminent member
Greetings All,

Had 3 teeth taken out in hospital on Friday.

All went well until this morning when one of the cavities started causing pain, so I took some PK but it has got gradually worse, a lot worse.

Anyway am in bed now having taken my usual 60 mg of Zomorph, and 10 mg Oramorph, 45 mins and no siģn of any pain relief yet.

Back to the hospital tomorrow am,, but should I take a little more PK? If it gets better by tomorrow I may try and tough it out?

Please go. Don't understand. Teeth pulled. Should have no roots for pain. That's y they hurt So much to have pulled.

Unusual pain after surgery or not needs attention. Can go to brain, Serious.

Pain is usually infection needing antibiotics.

I had a root canal done years ago, had head hanging upside down literally. Thought I needed Pain pills & dentist called me in Strong antibiotics, had relief in hours then long enough to schedule root canal.

Don't think everyone realizes pain/infection can cause death. GL be Careful. Let is know ur ok?

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member
@feisty @Rylee,

I forgot to mention that as soon as I felt the pain I started taking Amoxicillin, my dentist gave them to me in case I had a problem when on holiday.

After posting last night, and during the night a blood clot came out of the cavity.

It also seemed as if the infection had died down and when I just got up, the pain had almost all gone.

My wife had a good look and she says the redness and inflammation has almost gone.

I think I had an infection that the antibiotics have started to take care of, so I think all may be well, and I'm going to hold back bothering the dentist unless things change.

Thanks for the concern and good advice.

Regards

Lumo

Distinguished member
If the clot comes out it can also be a sign of 'dry socket' which sometimes needs the dentist to go in again and rework the socket, maybe bear that in mind if the pain comes back :)

djrick

Exalted member
@feisty @Rylee,

I forgot to mention that as soon as I felt the pain I started taking Amoxicillin, my dentist gave them to me in case I had a problem when on holiday.

After posting last night, and during the night a blood clot came out of the cavity.

It also seemed as if the infection had died down and when I just got up, the pain had almost all gone.

My wife had a good look and she says the redness and inflammation has almost gone.

I think I had an infection that the antibiotics have started to take care of, so I think all may be well, and I'm going to hold back bothering the dentist unless things change.

Thanks for the concern and good advice.

Regards

Hi Inspector,

I'm glad you are feeling better but I agree with Rylee. Even if there is no pain, I would go back in for a second look or even a second opinion from someone.

I won't bore anyone by writing again about the first root canal I ever had (botched) but years later although there was no pain I found out after being sent to an Endodontist that the original dentist that did that root canal had not properly cleaned out the tooth and I had a low grade infection that went on for years. Another dentist (thank God, I never went back to the original butcher) spotted something on an x-ray and insisted I go to the Endodontist which was no pain and he corrected the whole problem. I will mention, in case someone (I think @Blue Flowers had a similar experience) while butcher dentist did that root canal (which now I'm not even sure I needed, he had bought out my senior dentist's practice, I should have known better) he did something that felt like he stuck a live electric wire down my gum line. I could not stop the tears from running down my face.

You are probably A-ok and I am sure you are picky about your health professionals, but I say better safe than have to deal with something down the road. Good teeth are so important to our overall health.

Best.

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member
@feisty, @djrick, @Lumo, @Rylee,

UPDATE- Thanks for all the good advice, just goes to show how much valuable information is out there just for the asking.

Anyway, things have developed further this morning and I have just returned from the hospital after receiving treatment for 'dry socket' which is right up there on the pain scale (did not sleep a wink last night)

Apparently these things can get quite nasty, so a big thanks to all you, @Lumo, your diagnoses was spot on, you must all be dentists loldentist.jpg

Regards

Lewis

feisty

Distinguished member
Glad you finally got it looked at. I was thinking dry socket but sometimes they can miss some nerve in there as well that can cause pain like this too. Keep on healing!!

ethom

Honorable member
My husband had a root canal years ago that he thought went just fine. By the way, the doc who did it was great and we have no issues. But several years later, dentist saw a little something on x-ray - a low grade infection as described above. He was doubtful of this as we worried this dentist was trying to take advantage of him. He let it go for a few years and decided to finally get it taken care of. Turned out to be a 3 hour procedure but with minimal discomfort. Doc said the infection was bigger than expected and took pics as proof. He never thought anything of the first dentist who did the root canal. At that time, the infection was massive and painful. Original dentist probably assumed he removed it all. Plus, the pain was gone.

I guess my point is that sometimes doctors do the best they can do and the results are still not optimal. Patients often expect perfection but there is only so much a doc can do in the end.

As most of us on these boards know, pain is often something that can't be fixed. Surgery isn't a cure all and docs aren't perfect. In most cases, they do their best. And in some cases, you are taken advantage of (I do agree that this happens.)

Dental pain is the absolute worst so happy you are feeling better. Plus, it's SO expensive!

And here's some proof of my anxiety problem : Now I'll go have a dream about all my teeth falling out:)

pia

Distinguished member
Hello Everyone,
I had bad gums on my lower front teeth. All I can think of it is the cause of aggressive brushing.
Two weeks ago I had a gum graft which is where the periodontist either takes a donor site from the roof
of your mouth or, in my case, she used a "box" tissue which I later found out is from the porcine family of animals.

Short story long is that I found out that the used to prescribe PK for this and now it is
ibuprofen all the way. I think this is an about face:)

Ellyn

Distinguished member
Hello Everyone,
I had bad gums on my lower front teeth. All I can think of it is the cause of aggressive brushing.
Two weeks ago I had a gum graft which is where the periodontist either takes a donor site from the roof
of your mouth or, in my case, she used a "box" tissue which I later found out is from the porcine family of animals.

Short story long is that I found out that the used to prescribe PK for this and now it is
ibuprofen all the way. I think this is an about face:)

My takeaway from this is that before I agree to any elective surgery at all, the doctor (or dentist) and I establish our pain management plan. I cannot take ibuprofen, and no way will Tylenol cut it for oral surgery. For that matter, ibuprofen won't cut it either. This fear of prescribing realistic pain management after surgical procedures has reached the point of absurdity.

Delta L1011

Eminent member
My takeaway from this is that before I agree to any elective surgery at all, the doctor (or dentist) and I establish our pain management plan. I cannot take ibuprofen, and no way will Tylenol cut it for oral surgery. For that matter, ibuprofen won't cut it either. This fear of prescribing realistic pain management after surgical procedures has reached the point of absurdity.

@Ellyn Excellent advice ! I agree, I have had this surgery (on all four quadrants of gums) REF: periodontal surgery "some ten+ years ago .......
and, I was given realistic pm's much stronger than ibuprofen (to take home) !! It appears to me...sadly.....yes "pain management
has reached the point of absurdity" (USA) I was alarmed to read the circumstances of @pia ! (post 12) !!

pia

Distinguished member
@Ellyn Excellent advice ! I agree, I have had this surgery (on all four quadrants of gums) REF: periodontal surgery "some ten+ years ago .......
and, I was given realistic pm's much stronger than ibuprofen (to take home) !! It appears to me...sadly.....yes "pain management
has reached the point of absurdity" (USA) I was alarmed to read the circumstances of @pia ! (post 12) !!
@Ellyn
When I asked the doctor about pain meds, she said "it doesn't hurt". How does she know that unless she had the same surgery?
Well, it hurt and still remains tender. Now my three loose teeth on the bottom front are turning gray where I had the gum graft... oh my my.
You are so right about the "point of absurdity" @Whisperliner

ethom

Honorable member
I had this surgery four times. I was given 10 Norco tabs each time. One time I went back in and complained of searing pain. Doc didn't want to give me more pain meds but my husband who is a doctor was adamant that this was not normal pain. I could tell the dentist thought I was being pathetic. This was my first surgery. The other three were better and ibuprofen did the trick. I think the dentist finally realized I wasn't making up my pain. He used a garage door method and the pain was unreal.

All healed fine but I get the pain. Alternate Motrin and Tylenol. You can take them at same time safely. Good Luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: pia

blueroan17

Distinguished member
@ethom, what do you mean "he used a garage door method"? I've never heard of that in relation to dental surgery...but my imagination is running wild! (And it's kinda freaking me out...)

Last edited:

pia

Distinguished member
@feisty is that what they use to pull the tooth, the closing of a garage door with a cable attached to said tooth.
may be a bit morbid

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks