• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Dentists in Mexico

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Selfhelp

Celebrity PRer
@bpsshogg , My parents used to spend the winter in Yuma, AZ. My dad needed new dentures and had asked his local dentist what it would cost for both full upper and lower plates. He was quoted about $2600.00 for the newer composite teeth dentures, His previous ones were porcelain. Anyway, he waited until they went south that winter.

He went to a dentist in Mexico and got a perfect new porcelain set made for less than $300.00, (Yuma is only 6 miles from the border). He was very impressed and saved a lot of money! They also got their eye glasses, medications and other medical needs met by doctors in the border town of Algodonas. So, depending on what you need, you may save a lot of money if you don't have insurance.

This was about ten years ago. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Babygoats

I live about three hours from Algadones near Yuma. Countless people drive there all the time. My own family member traveled from out of state for the bargain and great work. I have two implants with a bridge that costs about 10,000 here but runs like 400 to 600 per tooth in Algadones. I went down there. There are tons of people going to the dentist. It's definitely legit.

spex

- what everybody is saying here: A young lady I know of had a lot of dental work done. Some necessary, some cosmetic. I don’t know what town or city in Mexico. She had done a semester at the University in Mexico City and knew the language and also probably had a friend network that guided her to a good practitioner. She saved a lot and was happy with the results.

bpsshogg

Thanks everyone, this confirms what I've heard from other people. It sounds like the dentists down there are just as good and less than half the price. The few people who warn me off don't have direct experience. Sounds like a no-brainer. Does anyone know if there are websites or review boards about Dentists near the border?

Bearhug

Exalted member
I have friends that have gone to Mexico for dental work. They tell me the costs are about eighty percent cheaper than in the US. Most border town dentists see a lot of business from the US. Most speak fluent English and many times the initial exam and estimate is very cheap or free.

If you know what town you will be visiting, I would ask some of the locals who they recommend. Border towns have a lot of pharmacies and shops that would probably give you recommendations. After your initial exam and estimate, you can decide if you feel comfortable with their practice..... then make an appointment to have your work done.

My friends traveled from a northern State in the US just for the dental work and to stock up on other medications. They went in the winter months and considered it as a vacation that paid for itself, due to the savings. Both husband and wife needed expensive work. They told me they saved at least $8000, which is half of what they spent to stay for a couple of weeks. @bpsshogg

Babygoats

Thanks everyone, this confirms what I've heard from other people. It sounds like the dentists down there are just as good and less than half the price. The few people who warn me off don't have direct experience. Sounds like a no-brainer. Does anyone know if there are websites or review boards about Dentists near the border?
Which Border town are you considering?

bpsshogg

Tijuana, Mexicali or Nogales. I'm assuming TJ would be best because it's the biggest...

bpsshogg

I have friends that have gone to Mexico for dental work. They tell me the costs are about eighty percent cheaper than in the US. Most border town dentists see a lot of business from the US. Most speak fluent English and many times the initial exam and estimate is very cheap or free.

If you know what town you will be visiting, I would ask some of the locals who they recommend. Border towns have a lot of pharmacies and shops that would probably give you recommendations. After your initial exam and estimate, you can decide if you feel comfortable with their practice..... then make an appointment to have your work done.

My friends traveled from a northern State in the US just for the dental work and to stock up on other medications. They went in the winter months and considered it as a vacation that paid for itself, due to the savings. Both husband and wife needed expensive work. They told me they saved at least $8000, which is half of what they spent to stay for a couple of weeks. @bpsshogg

Eighty percent cheaper! That's an awful lot, I guess the dentists in the USA over-charge. Sounds like this really is a no brainer, thanks for the tip.

jaders

Exalted member

Eighty percent cheaper! That's an awful lot, I guess the dentists in the USA over-charge. Sounds like this really is a no brainer, thanks for the tip.

Dentists, doctors, pharmacies, you name it- ALL rip us off terribly. I doubt there’s another country in the whole world who pays more than we do for these items and services. I guess we put up with it cuz so many Americans have been conned into thinking corporate America - you know - those big insurance companies and big pharma are really on “our” side. What a joke.

Our medical schools cost dramatically more than other countries too so to become a doctor costs a fortune, which probably explains why they feel so justified in making medicine expensive as well. It’s effed up, if you ask me.

I had older landlords who wintered in Yuma and had lots of dental work done in Algodones as well. They were confident in the care too.

Greed - the American way…☹️

bpsshogg

Dentists, doctors, pharmacies, you name it- ALL rip us off terribly. I doubt there’s another country in the whole world who pays more than we do for these items and services. I guess we put up with it cuz so many Americans have been conned into thinking corporate America - you know - those big insurance companies and big pharma are really on “our” side. What a joke.

Our medical schools cost dramatically more than other countries too so to become a doctor costs a fortune, which probably explains why they feel so justified in making medicine expensive as well. It’s effed up, if you ask me.

I had older landlords who wintered in Yuma and had lots of dental work done in Algodones as well. They were confident in the care too.

Thinking about it, I wonder why all Americans don't just get treated and fill prescriptions in Mexico. It must make sense financially, even including travel and hotel. I suppose not everybody is mobile enough...

Babygoats

Tijuana, Mexicali or Nogales. I'm assuming TJ would be best because it's the biggest...
TJ can be really sketchy these days. I had dental work done there like 30 years ago. The work has held up all those years. I would try and get a referral from someone especially since it is so big. I don't know about Nogales or Mexicali. I do know Mexicali is more of a quit Hispanic community. I don't know that they have a lot of Americans going in and out for stuff. It's a bit farther, but my experience in Algadones was good. It's super tiny and ton of Americans go there for Prescriptions, dentists and eye doctors. Most dentists will pick you up at the boarder and take you to the office. I saw a ton of old retired people around there.

jaders

Exalted member

Thinking about it, I wonder why all Americans don't just get treated and fill prescriptions in Mexico. It must make sense financially, even including travel and hotel. I suppose not everybody is mobile enough...

Actually I remember hearing about folks going to Thailand for medical care several years ago. 60 minutes did a piece on ot as I recall.

theshahofiran

dis-Honorable Meme-ber
Fyi some US dentists will offer much lower cash prices for those without insurance. I went to one who charged 1/2 the going rate for implants but didn't follow through for other reasons (looking again now).

bpsshogg

TJ can be really sketchy these days. I had dental work done there like 30 years ago. The work has held up all those years. I would try and get a referral from someone especially since it is so big. I don't know about Nogales or Mexicali. I do know Mexicali is more of a quit Hispanic community. I don't know that they have a lot of Americans going in and out for stuff. It's a bit farther, but my experience in Algadones was good. It's super tiny and ton of Americans go there for Prescriptions, dentists and eye doctors. Most dentists will pick you up at the boarder and take you to the office. I saw a ton of old retired people around there.

TJ is certainly sketchy, but I don't think it's particularly dangerous as long as you take the usual precautions. The murder rate is sky-high, but it's mostly casualties in wars between the cartels.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks