• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Do pharmacies count the day you fill your script as "day 1"? Please help ASAP

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

imstylistic

I always have been able to fill my Rxs two days early (28th) with both my doctor and my small pharmacy. Last month I brought it in on the 27th day (that's when my doc scheduled me), they told me I couldn't fill it until two days from now, that being the 29th day. I went home but then recounted. I called them and asked if they counted the first day I filled it as my first day and they said yes, I mentioned then that the next day would be the 28th day and he said "We told you two days." So he said 28 days but I guess got stubborn when I said their math was wrong (I know, bad to annoy pharmacists). P.S. I always go in super early, before work, as in before 9am.

I'm asking because my doctor scheduled for me tomorrow (day 28) and I really don't want to have to drive there to that area twice or have another "experience."

For total Info, my last appt was Feb 20th.

Binky

Celebrity PRer
Hello @imstylistic. I've been filling my scripts for many years & I've always counted day one as the day AFTER I fill my script. In my area the pharmacies make you wait the full 30 days. I filled my script for my pain meds today 3/18. When figuring for my next script I count tomorrow 3/19 as day one. Hope this helps.

C_Dub

Lapsed Senior Member
@imstylistic - when you say your doc scheduled you for tomorrow, do you mean the script says "release 03/19/14"? That is how my doc writes it and I have been told by my pm office that if the pharmacy has a problem with release date they can call.

other than that, only thing I can think of is that your state or pharmacy has become more stringent on a 30 day prescription lasting 30 days.

good luck

robynz

I am in Florida and they always count the day the RX is filled as day one. I am always able to get my meds refilled at the 28th day mark. What state do you live in? You could always google RX refill guidelines for your state.

imstylistic

@imstylistic - when you say your doc scheduled you for tomorrow, do you mean the script says "release 03/19/14"? That is how my doc writes it and I have been told by my pm office that if the pharmacy has a problem with release date they can call.

other than that, only thing I can think of is that your state or pharmacy has become more stringent on a 30 day prescription lasting 30 days.

good luck

My doctor is okay with me filling it the day I get it, otherwise they absolutely won't schedule me. In my state, it's totally up to the pharmacy and this specific pharm has never had a problem. It's just last month they wanted me to fill it on day 29 (which the tech thought would be 28) but as I said, when I called back the first thing I asked is if the pharm counted the day I filled it as day one as they said yes. Then I told the pharmacist the technician miscounted, he didn't want to hear it, period. I guess I'm not so much worried about coming in on the 28th day as I am annoying the pharmacist and then having to take another trip.

C_Dub

Lapsed Senior Member
Do you think perhaps the pharmacy changed their rules to 29 days?

Wraith

I live in Texas and we can get our Meds refilled three days prior to the 30 days so long as the dr doesn't specifically say refill on .....date. So I would do as @robynz suggested and google your state's refill guidelines as well as the pharmacy. I use Target as my pharmacy and the day I pick up my script is considered day one. Hope everything gets worked out for you.

Jazie

Exalted member
It's not only State Regulations, but your insurance company can stipulate a 30 day period between refill of same medication even with a new script that then overrides the State unless you want to pay cash.

Roz

Renowned member
It also depends on the medication.

If Sch II & III Vicodin, Percocet etc. for us it's 30 days from the date it was picked up.
Anotherwards, you might call in advance on the 27th and pick it up on the 29th so
the 29th would be the actual day. Our PCP is VERY strict on the 30 day rule.

However for Valium(diazepam) they are more lax so a few days early is not a big deal.

Also since each month has differing amount of days (28, 30, 31) that should also be taken into account. @imstylistic

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
I have been trying to get an answer for this question FOREVER. Neither the pharmacy nor my doc seem to understand the question. I feel like a moron for trying to explain it to them when the 30days is their rule!

I have been working on the assumption that day one is the day AFTER the med is picked up, like @Binky.

I too used to be able to pick up early by a day, 2, or three at the most. But one time out of the blue, my doctor simply did not ok the fax and send back. By the end of the day, I called her and she told me that since it was not the 30th day she could not okay.

I say 'out of the blue' but it was quickly after the pharmacy implemented a PMP. My doctor had told me years before that early fills are a D E A flag, and why risk it?

Anyway, as I do everything possible to simplify the refill process, I told her that I would never have the pharmacy fax it over UNLESS it was the 30th day.

Now, she will okay an earlier fill by a day or two if I am traveling which I appreciate.

Hey @alumni, do you know when the 30 day count is supposed to officially start? What about @Paichka? Dear Paichka, what does your husband say?

Pangaea

Distinguished Member
Yes they count the day you filled your script at the Pharm, but remember February was only 28 days, not the normal 30-31 days. That maybe a factor, or it could be your insurance wont cover it until a specific date. And 99% of the time, you can fill your script after 28 days from the last time it was filled, my Dr appts are always, scheduled for the next month 3 days earlier than the date I came in. So, if my appt was today 3/19, my next appt would be 4/16. And every time I fill my script its right after the Dr appt, which is 28 days from the last visit. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

dafeet

Distinguished member
I still don't have a definitive answer either. All I know is that my appointment is always at least 3-4 days before refill is due, but when I turn in the scripts they have always been filled immediately. My doctor does not specify a fill date, unless I'm having a surgery and she knows I will need early. As I have mentioned somewhere in another thread, I think my insurance allows the meds 1 week prior because my pharmacy has auto-refilled a sched. III med 7 days before due date. This is at a chain pharm. in TX, btw.

AngelofLight

I know exactly what your going through...Happened to me last week...My doc sets my appointments where I supposed to come in on the 29th day if you count that day since you can go fill your script that day but on every month that has 31 days its like they cant comprehend theres an extra day in there, so I come in on the 30 day, anway first last month my little rinky dink local small town pharmacy's pharmacist died the day be fore I went to feel my script..as he was only license pharmascist and they only had 13 pills of my med but they told they didnt know if or when they could ordewr more because of thye pharmacist problem...so I was screwed I called litterally 117 within 150 mile radius and same story were on a limited supply by the dea and if your not one of our regulars (filled every time in last 6 mo) F off...finally by mon withdrawing I found one and got it filled... at this point I guess I should mention my doc gives me 2 scripts biweekly or bimonthly not sure, so I have to go twice, the day I go to doc then 2 weeks later...but since I couldnt get the first script on the 14th and had to weight to 17 and the second of my scripts was for the 1st of march...on Freakin Sat...which the only pharmacy that I found after calling all of them was closed on...but I get them filled that mon...but when I go back to the doc on 14th and get the the scripts the place tells me that its to early and my insurance wont cover it...well thats not my fault that a pharmacist died,or that the DEA scares the sh*t out all the pharmacies, where the only place I can find to fill them it closed on th weekend...I finally got gthem a few days later...but I was mad especially because I had called that morning and talked to the phartmacist on the 14th and ask him would there be any problems and he said no but after I drive 45 mi one way BLah BLah Blah... but yeah they count the fist day you get them filled but I assuming the doc even though he lets you come on the 28th day he probably gives you a 30 day supply...it just depends on the pharmacist( whos working that day, whether his wife maid him sleep on the couch last night and sh*t like that..I know its a pain in the ass...it anwers depends on when you got them filled last time if you got them filled on 20th you want have a problem if you got them filled on the 22....50/50 good Luck...

Last edited:

Paichka

Renowned member
@SpaceMatters - I know for a fact that every pharmacy has different rules on this, even in the same state. Weird, huh? Insurance companies are also a factor as they have different rules about when a script can be refilled. As far as the pharmacy goes, the day count starts on the day you pick it up, even if that is two days before it is due. Their take on this is that if a patient is refilling a script two days early every month, they end up with what is called a "cumulative too soon" situation and quite a few extra pills.

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
Well I have decided to start counting my script's 30 days from the day I pick it up, including the day I pick it up.

Course what I can't stand is when the 30 days hits on a Saturday which seems to happen way too much.

@Paichka, thanks for the reply. Hope your back/leg are doing well.

I do miss those 'cumulative too soon' extra meds. Allowed me to make that extra shopping trip with DD, or go to a presentation at school with those hard chairs. Oh well, it is what it is.

wildings

Eminent member
I agree "each month has differing amount of days (28, 30, 31) that should also be taken into account." that no doubt alters a lot of schedules, since it is not, from a fed dispensing point of reference, strictly say 29th to 29th but a 1,2 ,3,4... 30 day/month fill schedule. February must be difficult for the pharmacies. My fill date for schedule II varies according to the number of days in a given month. the filling pharmacies are not that wound up over the precise dates since they are absolutely overrun with requests. They tend to combine scheduled meds in fill date proximity to each other for the practical purpose of keeping their heads above water. Function over form.

Last edited:

JoeyButtafuoco

Eminent member
Every pharm I have used counts the day you pick up as day 1. My main pharm is cool with 28 days, but if I call on the 27th they make me wait the full 30 for some odd reason. Another place I use is fine with 27.

However, if you have a new script (written the exact same way) it seems to be up the pharmacist if you fill on like day 25 or whatever. Last time this came up, the pharmacist asked me a bunch of questions to see if I met his approval.

Years back I had insurance that would fill controlleds at 23 days with a new script.

Ocean View

Distinguished member
"Do pharmacies count the day you fill your script as "day 1"? Please help ASAP "

Yes,

My Pharmacy counts the last day it was filled as day one. In other words if I get a pain med filled on the 1st of the month that's is day one. I can have it filled again on the 28th.

If I don't need my meds for a couple of days, I still have it filled right after I get the rx, and pick it up in a day or two. They don't count the day you pick it up, but the day it was last filled as day 1. at my Pharmacy, but I suppose a Pharmacist has total control of what they do.

A pharmacist is a gate that must be opened with the right code sometimes! I have learned never to act surprised, like I am in need, or confrontational. They are the last hurdle to between you and relief!

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks