• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Do you boycott anything?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

pythagorean

Do you boycott or intentionally avoid any stores? Companies? Products? Amazon? Walmart? Chick-fil-a? I just watched Nomadland on Hulu, it was good. Got me thinking about all the news about how Amazon treats it’s workers. (I’ve always had mixed feelings about unions but inequities keep growing between the wealthy and the rest of us. Maybe unions do more good that I’ve given them credit for.)

Sometimes I think about boycotting a store or product but I also think boycotts are a luxury for people with money. When you’re poor can you really choose to not pay the lowest price you can find, regardless of who it’s purchased from?

legend0710

Honorable member
In all my years on this earth, the only thing I ever put my foot down on and I guess could be called boycotting, was Target. I cut my card in half, called them up told them to close the account immediately. Not to many years ago our local store allowed that whole debacle of gender bathrooms and allowed men into the womens rest room and vice versa. With daughters and granddaughters, I was having no part of that for reasons we all know im sure.

The truth is, regardless of an individuals feelings on that matter, it DID HAPPEN. There were multiple sexual assaults in that womens restroom by men who said they identified as a woman. Of course that upset me, but I'm not sure what upset me more, what happened, or the idea that other parents out there allowed their daughters alone in there in the first place.

marcvasa

Won't buy Dyson products. The owner encouraged people to vote Brexit, then after the vote move the business from UK to Singapore. Cant stand the hypocrisy.
Dyson products are overpriced crap. I have a $300+ Dyson vacuum and a $100 Shark vacuum. Honestly, Shark is a better vacuum, simple and very functional while Dyson is just a designer toy.

pythagorean

In all my years on this earth, the only thing I ever put my foot down on and I guess could be called boycotting, was Target. I cut my card in half, called them up told them to close the account immediately. Not to many years ago our local store allowed that whole debacle of gender bathrooms and allowed men into the womens rest room and vice versa. With daughters and granddaughters, I was having no part of that for reasons we all know im sure.

The truth is, regardless of an individuals feelings on that matter, it DID HAPPEN. There were multiple sexual assaults in that womens restroom by men who said they identified as a woman. Of course that upset me, but I'm not sure what upset me more, what happened, or the idea that other parents out there allowed their daughters alone in there in the first place.
Interesting. I really have mixed feeling about the bathroom stuff and all the gender identity stuff as well. I had not been aware that bathroom assaults went up after the gender id changes implemented in some places. It sucks that it happened at target, I love target! In some places, like universities, extra bathrooms were made available for anyone to use, which I personally love because it’s usually a single stall with a door lock so you have the whole place to yourself other times I use the family restroom for the same reason as long as no one is waiting to use it. It’s the only one not claustrophobic.
Anyhow, people can be shitty no matter what policy there is.
The fact that some perv heard about the policy change and thought “You know what’s a great idea? I’m going to go in the women’s room and show my junk now that Target says it’s OK.”
It just leaves me speechless.
Is it possible that some right wingers went in and did this just to make point? (Not that I’m suggesting it didn’t happen as reported) it just is so crazy. Why are people so lousy?

Last edited:

pythagorean

@pythagorean
Yea it must of been right wingers that would go in and commit a crime just to show what could happen. Good grief!
Its only human to ask yourself why someone would do such a thing. I have a hard time understanding much of the polarization that is happening in the world today. In my defense,it was just a thought that went through my mind, maybe I should have kept that to myself. I have no idea about the incidents other than a quick google search. On the other hand, it feels like there are no limits to what some people will do to make a point. -This was just me thinking out loud-

Yes, back to the topic, I really am glad to read all the responses. I like to hear what people think. It help me make sense of the world. It’s interesting what motivates people enough to change their behavior, well unless you never did buy such and such or never shopped at a certain place anyway. Example: There has not been Chick-fil-A near me until very recently, so it’s not like it’s all that hard to avoid the place.

Last edited:

chedda

Distinguished member
Not a fan of the cancel culture. If I am wronged by a company I just won't use them, but I do not need someone on social media telling me not to shop their because they feel a certain type of way.

jaders

Exalted member
I’ve boycotted many many companies or businesses, etc based on various issues over my lifetime. I think it’s a very valuable way to “vote” with my dollars. On the other hand, it’s impossible to live “pure enough” to avoid every place that I might have ethical issues with. I guess I decided it’s like that old adage - pick your battles. There are definitely some issues I feel much more strongly about than others. I do feel happy to know that folks actually put thought into this tho and make some decisions based on their ethics. And I think that all helps shape our society towards progress as well.

I don’t really want to go into who and what I myself do boycott tho, because it is definitely a political “football,” and I don’t want to help foster that division on PR. I get enough of it on Facebook. 😜

legend0710

Honorable member

Interesting. I really have mixed feeling about the bathroom stuff and all the gender identity stuff as well. I had not been aware that bathroom assaults went up after the gender id changes implemented in some places. It sucks that it happened at target, I love target! In some places, like universities, extra bathrooms were made available for anyone to use, which I personally love because it’s usually a single stall with a door lock so you have the whole place to yourself other times I use the family restroom for the same reason as long as no one is waiting to use it. It’s the only one not claustrophobic.
Anyhow, people can be shitty no matter what policy there is.
The fact that some perv heard about the policy change and thought “You know what’s a great idea? I’m going to go in the women’s room and show my junk now that Target says it’s OK.”
It just leaves me speechless.
Is it possible that some right wingers went in and did this just to make point? (Not that I’m suggesting it didn’t happen as reported) it just is so crazy. Why are people so lousy?
I really have no idea who it was or if it was some lame group out there, but it didn't just happen at Target. High schools here had a rash of incidents of the boys waltzing into the ladies changing rooms in a high school because they said they could under their new school policy. Granted it wasn't just a bathroom but young and being boys they had their peep show. Its just wrong all the way around, imo it's like a butterfly effect. One group gets a thing changed that they want regardless of ho it effects anyone else, and then dozens or hundreds of others twist that thing until there have been so many more issues caused, when the whole idea could have just simply been set up differently. Like you said you use a family rest room if available, why didn't they put in other restrooms even one for those identifying as a helicopter on any given day? little picture of a helicopter on the door and all :)

Im not going to sit here and lie and say I agree with them, but Im also not going to judge anyone who is gender confused if its legit, as long as they stay away from children, and if there is an incident, that the establishment is held to some accountability. Which Target was not nor the high school.

Selfhelp

Famous PRer
The only business that I actively avoid is Walmart. I can remember many years ago Sam Walton was proud of the fact and advertised that most products sold in walmart were American made. Now days it seems everything they carry is made in China or very low quality. There may be a few exceptions, but in my opinion they have put profit over quality. I understand many companies have to meet stockholder expectations... but by offshoring all of the labor, it has cost an enormous amount of american jobs. Not to mention all of the small businesses that have had to close because they can't compete. I realize many companies have gone this route, but I feel Walmart has led the way.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks