Favourite books, what are yours?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Mira

Exalted member
I know this is going to sound nuts but one of my favorite book series is from the Star Trek collection. Its call Invasion and the 4 books span 4 of the series. Its starts with the original in First Strike. The story continues with the Next Generation characters in book 2 called The Soldiers of Fear. The third book takes place on Deep Space 9 and is called Times Enemy. The 4th book is The Final Fury and is the characters from Voyager.
Throughout the 4 books, there is a common theme that all 4 sets of characters are involved in. They are written by authors that have also written several other Star Trek books, Diane Carey, Dean Wesley Smith, Dafydd Ab Hugh and LA Graf.

If you're in to Star Trek and like to read the books, this was a good set. Interestingly, I've found a series of Star Trek books by William Shatner to be good too!

Other than that, I do like Tom Clancy, Nelson DeMille and as my mom calls it, summer smut by Jackie Collins... haha.

Missmolly

Banned
A mans search for meaning by victor e frankl
gone girl
books from marian keyes

and when I was little I LOVED enid blyton
and when I was an adolescent, I loved sweet valley twins/high books to the point i use to fantasize about going to school in America;)

Alicenwonderland

Eminent member
I am in the middle of the Wayward Pines series. There are three books. It's pretty cool, kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks. It's an easy read, has lots of suspense, twists. Blake Crouch is the author.

Ravenousbird

Banned
Favourite is too hard. I read a lot.

But daily I read from the Dalai Lama and the Upanishads. Keeps my head straight.

Then before bedtime (lately) I read the treasure trove of books my son gave me from George RR Martin and The Hunger Games.

Think I'm a wee bit eclectic??? LOL

muser

Lapsed Senior Member
Minw will always be the Great Gatsby. It's really short but there's so much packed into it and so much to think about. Great book.

Riggles

Lapsed Senior Member
@ravenousbird
I know exactly what you mean! Picking one in particular is always impossible! But I always have a list of favorite series since I am a science fiction and fantasy series primarily but There's a series that hasn't even finished yet and it's already on my list The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. He makes you wait so long between books but they are soo worth it! I cannot wait for the final book in the series it would have to be catastrophically bad for it to be taken off my list of favorite series and even though that has happened to me in the past, I highly doubt this is gonna be the case. If you like fantasy it is definitely worth reading!

Mrs Parker

Exalted member
The first book is best. I didn't like the other 2. Read Anais Nin, she's much better

Do you like both Anais Nin's fiction and journals? I find I like both almost equally and that's no small trick for a writer to be good
at both. :)

lotus1027

Lapsed Senior Member
Absolutely. Her writing is so poetic aware and original. I'd take her over chicky romance novels any day. I also like Anne Rice's erotic under her alias A.N. Roquelare. Check out "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty"

fish farmer D

Banned
Too many to count, usually enjoy history of the settlement of this country and the native cultures, but for one of the first times I read a fantasy series called Game of Thrones. I know many of you like the HBO series, and after I watched the first season, I got the first 4 books, and then I think there were 2 more. 1000 pages apiece! that was almost a year of my life but I loved it! Great series, books even better, in my opinion. Best Wishes FFD

Alma

My shortlist

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Wizard of Oz

Kim by Kipling

Ms Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Passage to India

Clockwork orange

NB12345

Distinguished member
Oh man I can go on and on......just off the top of my head.....Wally Lamb "I know this much is true"
Any thing John Grisham.....I love "Scyamore Row" which is another story set Clanton with Jake Brigance and Ozzie the sheriff.

The Bubba stories by C L Neville are good for a laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now I am 're reading "To kill a mockingbird".....

Last edited:

dbt123

Distinguished member
Traditionally I pick The Count of Monte Cristo... but it's been so long since the last time I re-read it.

Like some others in this thread, I love the Dune series, and Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire, but I not sure I'd name them as all-time favorite... but I'm not sure how to pick a favorite, really.

ping

Lapsed Senior Member
@NB12345 2 good picks. I thought Sycamore Row was the best from Grisham in a while. Wally Lamb, a modern classic. @Alma I love Rebecca, both the book and the movie, that would make my list. My list would be a long one because I have so many "favorites". @Aliceinwonderland I am going to read Wayward Pines as soon as I finish my current book. Loving the show, so I'm sure the book is right up my alley.

Sweetcakes

Honorable member
Stuck mostly to fiction, by author:

Don DeLillo--Underworld, Mao II, Point Omega
Wm. Faulkner--Absalom! Absalom!, Snopes Trilogy, Light in August
Hemingway--The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms
Joan Didion--The Last Thing He Wanted, Where I Was From, The White Album
Capote--Other Voices, Other Rooms, Breakfast at Tiffany's (and other stories)
Lawrence Sterne--Tristram Shandy
Proust--Remembrance of Things Past
Raymond Chandler--Farewell, My Lovely, Lady in the Lake, The little Sister (all of them, actually)
Vladimir Nabokov--Lolita
Dickens--Oliver Twist
DH Lawrence--The Rainbow, Sons and Lovers, Lady Chatterley's Lover
Thomas Pynchon--Inherent Vice
Toni Bentley--The Surrender
Bruce Wagner--Force Majeure, I'm Losing You
Ann Beattie--Park City
Martin Amis--Money
Flaubert--Madame Bovary
Casanova--Diaries
F. Scott Fitzgerald--The Great Gatsby
Thomas Tryon--Harvest Home, All That Glitters
Norman Mailer--An American Dream, The Deer Park, Harlot's Ghost
Celine--Death on the Installment Plan

You have some great books on there. Anything by Fitsgerald. Have you ever read Theodore Dreiser? Sister Carrie. Love Capote, esp. Breakfast at Tiffany. In Cold Blood is a great book too. Very different books. These days I read a lot of dark thrillers... Gone Girl type. Where did I go wrong?

Swishtaps

Lapsed Senior Member
A book I fondly recall is "A Conspiracy of Paper" by David Liss. On another note, I've been reading a lot of graphic novels lately (which might not exactly qualify as a book?) and have had a blast doing so. "Fables", "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", and "The Walking Dead" have all been page-turning reads.

Poink

Distinguished member
I read a lot at times, but will often have a run of several poorly written books. Whenever that happens, I pull something (anything) out of my Mark Twain collection just to have some great reading. Then I go back to more recent stuff.

Polynikes666

Lapsed Senior Member
Cloud Atlas by William Mitchell. Pretentious, but absolutely astounding.

The Martian by Andy Weir. Timeless literature it ain't, but it's a helluva good read.

The Expanse Series by SA Corey. Good, balanced space opera.

Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber by Dianna Gabaldon. The series jumps the literary shark after DIA, but the first two installments are fantastic, genre bending period pieces.

RobertThomas

Banned
In no particular order. Rather biased the Jeffrey Archer books.
- Not a penny more not a penny less
- Clifton Chronicles (not all parts though)
- Kane and Abel

- Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsythe
- July by Karen Roberts
- IT by Stephen King (Horrifying Horror lol)