• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

fear of flying

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Opuchlol

Any one else here have a fear of flying.im waiting for some valium to arive,but as im flying saturday im not holding my breath that they wikill arive in time.
any one out there with some good advice on how to deal with it

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
I am claustrophobic and so that is the part of flying that gets to me. I bring my fully charged iPod, a handkerchief w/some calming essential oil on it (for deep breaths), and keep my eyes closed. I try to transport myself in my head to another location besides the stinky plane.

I know that some folks really like those audio books; that could work too. Or buy a super easy read (maybe kind of raunchy even) to keep your mind busy.

Just don't let yourself go to that scared/nervous place. I know that's easier said that done.

Fire

akl63

Exalted member
Drink or two.
Valerian Tincture.

I'm assuming you've flown before. Take yourself through what's gonna happen before a couple times, so you can be a little prepared for it. Make sure you get an aisle seat.

Though if you get claustrophobic you're really gonna want that valium or something else.

jj58

I have a fear of flying too so you are not alone. Try to remember how many flights there are a day verus how many accidents. I am saying tell yourself often how safe it is. I took 1mg xanax and had a crown royal on flight, I ended up sleeping for 1.5 hours, then I only had 1/2 hour, by then I was fine.

akl63

Exalted member
You're right, way more likely to get in a car accident. More traffic, incompetent drivers, wet roads.

Though if you are equipped with xanax and crown royal, there isn't a whole lot to fret about though.

Kexessa

Eminent member
I am claustrophobic and so that is the part of flying that gets to me.

That is the part that gets me too. I'm not afraid of crashing, or terrorist or the actual flying itself, it's physically being in the plane that gets me.

If they were much larger and wider with a lot more headroom I don't think I would have a problem. As it is, the claustrophobia is so crippling, nothing I do helps and I simply can't get on a plane. Ever.

Used to make my husband crazy, but within the US, by car isn't so bad, we've seen some neat out-of-the-way places and little restaurants. Since a cabin on a cruise ship is even smaller, I'll probably never go abroad. I've learned to live with it though. There are worse things.

akl63

Exalted member
Ask the person at the counter. To get an aisle seat in the exit row, so you will have some room. Because I assume you don't wanna pay for a ridiculous business class seat.

Kexessa

Eminent member
No, I wouldn't pay for business class, but even an aisle seat wouldn't be enough room. I would need to be out on the wing to have enough space :eek:

It's all in my head I know. I may just lack motivation. When my son graduates college and he moves to where ever he's going to work, if he was hurt or needed me, I might find a way to board a plane. I hope.

akl63

Exalted member
At least if you get the exit row, you can fully extend your legs out infront, and have some air infront of you.

I always request it for the extra room. I can't sit cramped in with my back and the exit row helps.

sbg

Lapsed Senior Member
Absolutely . I have not flown in almost 8 years . I need to get over it as it is limiting my life too much.

Alternate

Distinguished member
Is it true if you tip off the stewards they are able to deal with you better? Or does that just get them 'alerted' to watch you - I don't know.

I would do the crown royal thing (if you are not driving once you get to destination) if your tranq. do not show up. Doing the crown royal and a pill might have them having to pat cold water on you to revive you to get up once landed.

I like the distraction idea - find some movie, book, racy or whatever and really read it and you will be there in no time.

akl63

Exalted member
If business class isn't full, make a fuss of the claustrophobia before you take off. They probably would stick you up there if it meant they didn't have to deal with any interuptions. They don't wanna be worried someone is gonna lose it in the middle of a flight either.

johnsoncar

I have an absolute fear of flying. I don't care what anyone says, I read about airplanes crashing enough to know those things do come down. My only hope is a bunch of screwdrivers before the flight. Not my favorite drink, but I hear they won't allow you on if they smell too much booze, so screwdriver being vodka and orange juice really keeps that drunken smell at bay. :D

akl63

Exalted member
After sitting in a layover at the airport for 8hrs,
I've gotten on a plane totally blasted and no one thought a thing of it.
Road a skateboard through the connector from the gate to the plane. They were just laughing at me. Everyone in my group was pretty liquored up. International flight and everything. I think they assume people will be somewhat druink considering the only thing to do at the airport is eat or go to the bar. As long as your not bellligerent and rude to others. I've seen many drunks on planesl

Carter

Renowned member
I used a travel alot for work up until and I have known several people over the years (business associates) who had PRN xanax prescriptions due to fear of flying so they could travel. Knowing the people the people fairly well I would guess that's the only time they used it.

I 'd reccomend no more than one maybe two) drinks depending on how much xanax you are taking and you tolerance. If you got a long flight (6 hours or more) make sure you have your script with you (you'll probably be taking a second one). KPIN or Valium miight work also, KPIN being better since it's actualy FDA approved for Panic Disorder.

I have a fear of flying too so you are not alone. Try to remember how many flights there are a day verus how many accidents. I am saying tell yourself often how safe it is. I took 1mg xanax and had a crown royal on flight, I ended up sleeping for 1.5 hours, then I only had 1/2 hour, by then I was fine.

Fanbased

Lapsed Senior Member
I fly alot these days. Unfortunately, most of the planes I have to fly in are the turbo prop kind. Those damn things are extremely susceptible to turbulence. One minute I'm white knuckle clenching the arm rests, and the next my stomach is in my throat because we suddenly dropped 20 feet. I've always had a slight fear of flying, and the turbo props just make it worse for me. I think not having control is one of the main factors for me.

_tyrant

Honorable member
i flew one time and yeah it was a pretty scarey experience.'

though at the time i was only like 10 or 11 years old and that my first time on a plane.

Last edited:

zackery

Distinguished member
The alternative to flying is driving -- and that is a nightmare. Traffic, the price of gas, lousy hotels -- and who knows you might even come home with bedbugs!!!

I will take flying any day!! Unfortunately with 3 pets, you cannot do that. And they always come when we are going on vacation. So, drive it is. Still fly once a year or so for family emergencies.

That all said, flying is still a big, fat hassle. And they are making the seats smaller so you are jammed in like a sardine. Cannot imagine how unpleasant that must be if you are claustrophobic!! And my luck, I seem to always wind up in the middle between two people that take up half my seat!! Or someone with a cold, or a baby crying, or a talker -- someone that wants to talk the whole flight!! Flying is NOT fun.

But if you are afraid of flying you can get an aisle seat, and also get a non-stop flight. That way, no up and down -- where most of the accidents occur -- and the total amount of time you are involved in the flying experience is shorter. I think people are afraid of flying because the thought of how you die if there is an accident is pretty bad. But the chances of that are so slim -- almost not even worth thinking about.

When I worked I had to travel by plane quite a bit. But it was easier then, not much of a hassle. I went on one flight where it was so rough that we were not allowed to take off our seat belts the entire flight. There were major storms in the area. Didn't even get a cup of coffee -- good thing because we were not allowed to use the bathrooms either. The plane almost flipped over mid-air twice!! It sounded like we hit cement, and then the wings went sideways -- like the plane was going to flip. And we bounced around big time the whole flight. Now that was scary. But the plane held up. Amazing, I thought we were goners. Just goes to show you what those planes can take.

Bottom line, flying is the best way to travel. A 5 day trip becomes just a few hours of hassle. It really is worth it. Not that anyone enjoys it. And yes, a drink will do you just fine if you are afraid of flying -- what me worry?? Or a valium even better! You might even forget where you are!

Last edited:

akl63

Exalted member
The last flight I took. Smaller plane, I had to sit next to this high school senior who was 6'8". His elbows, arms, knees and legs were hanging all over me. Just my luck, he was probably more uncomfortable than me though.

zackery

Distinguished member
The last flight I took. Smaller plane, I had to sit next to this high school senior who was 6'8". His elbows, arms, knees and legs were hanging all over me. Just my luck, he was probably more uncomfortable than me though.

Wow, you sound like you have the same kind of luck as me!! Always seems to happen. And the seats are small to behind with, hardly enough room for me. It really is a hassle.

I will tell you a funny story. I actually like to fly in the small planes. Just a prop is good for me. Sit right in the front -- I had a friend that had a small plane and we would go up. Really much more fun vs. sitting on an airline plane where you are like in a bus!!! And helicopters are really fun too.

Went on a business trip and for whatever the reason, the company decided to get a small plane. Around 7 of us going, and just a prop. I sat in the front next to the pilot, and was enjoying it. Coffee all around, donuts. Enjoying it. Well, we all know what happens when you drink coffee. Goes right through you. So, I asked the pilot where the bathroom was (just not thinking) -- and he said as he turned around - well, she is sitting on it!! I thought it may have been way in the back. Oh NO. The big one. Every bounce was torture. Made a bee-line when we hit the ground! So, it was cokes all around on the way back (one day trip). Hey, you want a coke, or something else to drink?? No thanks. Whew.

Got to be careful when on the small planes. Where is the bathroom?? And if someone is sitting on it, remember to go before you get on the plane. Unless, you have no shame and are willing to go in front of lots of people!! No thanks to that.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks