• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

fear of flying

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

akl63

Exalted member
Lol,
I flew on a water-plane once and it was the most deafening, miserable, kidney jarring experience of my life. Hate small planes or even any plane that isn't a jet.

fuego

I used to suffer from fear of flying to the extent that most of the trip would be spent gripping the arm-rests as cold sweat poured down my face. For several days prior to any flight I would be anxious and unsettled and on the day of my departure I would feel physically ill. At the time I had no access to diazepam or similar but discovered that a few drinks and some valerian tablets helped me to at least get into a mental state where I could avoid thinking about what was going on around me.

Then I started flying regularly with a friend who had access to diazepam and from that point onward did not fly without sedatives for several years. I referred to them as my 'instant upgrade' as they made me comfortable and relaxed even in the most cramped surroundings. On one occasion when I could not obtain any diazepam I boarded the aircraft full of dread but realised on take-off that I had done so many trips in a drooling and sedated state that somewhere along the line my fear of flying had vanished.

I think that sedatives are absolutely invaluable for flying, especially long-haul, and I wouldn't want to make a transatlantic flight without them, but I overcame my fear of flying through repeated sedated exposure to it, as far as I can see.

If you cannot acquire diazepam in time then valerian can be helpful. Do not drink too much unless you are accustomed to alcohol, and bear in mind that alcohol will affect you more at high altitude.

c729

Lapsed Senior Member
I share your fear so much!!!

Do you have insurance? If so then make a trip to your MD and get a prescription for 5-10 Xanax. My doctor will do this for me even though he knows I am a (clean) opiate addict. If not then possibly call around to urgent care for cheapest cash price and do the same there. A visit is probably less than $200 and the pills are cheap so it wouldn't be that much more than you are risking online. I don't think they will think of you as a drug abuser if you go in there asking for just a few, take your ticket, and be honest. I would not rely online for this unless you are 99.9% with your source.

If you are flying with somebody you trust you might also consider trying an Ambien. It will completely waste your entire day but you won't remember crap. I would ask doctor to write the prescription for brand name. I can personally verify fact that some of the generics from the local drugstore don't do crap and again don't want something to not work at the worst time.

The exit row idea is great, but remember that those seats do not recline and you also can not drink if you are in that row. Maybe the very front row instead? I would explain your situation to the ticketing agent when you check in, be very overly polite, and I would expect them to understand and try to give you some room.

ETA: @akl63, my comment about not drinking in the exit row is about alcohol, not just a beverage. Sorry I didn't make that a bit clearer. No getting smashed is allowed on that row. Probably a wise idea! :)

Last edited:

akl63

Exalted member
They always serve me in the exit throw. Just the trays usually fold into the seat, instead of being on the chair in front of you. On short flights on small planes, sometimes you have to hold your drink.

I agree about the urgent care, I think a lot would even not require upfront payment. If you go to one associated with the local hospital, not a private one. I could hardly see getting denied 5 valium. When I hurt my back here the 2nd time I went to the hospitals urgent care instead of the ER. Got close to identical treatment for about 20% of the cost. No pay required until later.

akl63

Exalted member
@c729
You may be right, thinking about it I haven't really like to drink for awhile. Or at least since I was smart enough to get in the exit row. My attitude is if a plane crashes out of the sky, what I'm doing in the exit row probably not gonna help that much anyway. Unless we make a miracle landing on the Hudson river, then I'd just let the person next to me help out. But I can see them not serving alcohol, or only serving 1.

Last edited:

zackery

Distinguished member
Was curious, so went and looked. This info provided by one person pretty much hits all of the other articles I looked at. Fear of flying even beats fear of death!!! Wow, this list is really interesting.

Top 10 Fears

1. FEAR OF FLYING

Flying is statistically meant to be the safest form of traveling, and yet here's this fear rated at number #1.

I guess on those few times that planes crash and people die it makes the news, and thus these fears are further fueled. I guess, too, that you feel more in control whilst driving your car, so fear of driving is much less common even though you are far more likely to die driving to the airport than on the flight itself. Apparently. But maybe fear of confined spaces is an issue here, as is fear of heights.

Do I suffer from this fear? Yes, but only mildly. I don't enjoy flying - it is the dullest, least comfortable form of travel, to me - but I just try to distract myself with conversation, a movie or some 'yummy' airline food! (Not all at the same time, obviously!)

2. FEAR OF PUBLIC SPEAKING

Now this fear is much more understandable to me. This must be one of most people's deepest fears - even those who are expert public speakers (like US President Barack Obama) get nervous beforehand, I'm sure.

This fear is all about everybody taking notice of you, and listening to what YOU have to say.

This is all about not fluffing your lines.

And... this is all about something that many people fear because they just don't do it often enough.

So even though this fear is common - perhaps our greatest fear? - I am confident that Susan Jeffers' rallying cry of what Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway (r), together with learning how to speak in public, is enough to overcome fear of public speaking.

3. FEAR OF HEIGHTS

As I jokingly say on my most common fears page, my fear of heights is really my fear of jumping (or maybe it's my fear of falling)! But then I probably only suffer a mild form of acrophobia - I certainly don't suffer from any nasty physical symptoms. And, really, my fear of heights is the same fear as my fear of jumping in front of an oncoming train (or lorry)...

(Is this just me, or do you suffer from a similar fear? Get in touch about these fears and let me know!)

Anyway, clearly fear of heights is very common and one of the top 10 fears. So how to overcome fear of heights? Well, maybe this YouTube video will help...

4. FEAR OF THE DARK

This is a fear that stems from childhood, I think, but it may last well into adulthood. This is one of the most 'irrational' of the top 10 fears and needs to be faced up to, one way or another (especially if you are an adult).

And overcoming fear of darkness starts with trying to understand what this fear is really all about. That is, answering the question, "What is it about the dark that frightens you?"

5. FEAR OF INTIMACY

This top 10 fear is summed up, beautifully, by this expression: "Into me, see". And I guess some of us (not just men, either) don't like the idea of people seeing into them. I think other fears - fear of rejection, fear of commitment, fear of failure - come into play, too. It's a fear of change, also. And change can be scary for all of us, at times!

Like most fears, having fear of intimacy limits us as individual human beings!

6. FEAR OF DEATH

Thanotophobia affects many millions around the world. It's not just about the fear of death, but the fear of dead things, or anything death-related.

Overcoming this fear is about understanding that life is a cycle that includes death (they're two sides of the same coin); it's knowing that people will not forget you; it's about being open to having this fear in the first place (perhaps by talking to a professional or to a friend).

7. FEAR OF FAILURE

This is another understandable item in the list of most common fears. Even 'successful' people suffer from this fear, I'm sure. And I think it fuels many of the other top 10 fears.

Again, this is fear of change and fear of what other people will think of you (fear of rejection?). And, as with overcoming most common fears, it's all about facing the fear by taking action.

8. FEAR OF REJECTION

Okay, this is probably my own #1 fear, that of being rejected. And I'm a bit surprised by this, I have to say, as I'm not entirely sure what 'rejection' I'm afraid of. I think it's about wanting the acceptance and love of others and making sure that you don't do anything to jeopardise that.

9. FEAR OF SPIDERS

This is a self-explanatory fear - thankfully, one that I no longer suffer from. I spent 2 years living in Malawi, Africa (read my Diary of a Volunteer, here!) and saw enough huge creepy-crawlies to finally lose my fear of Daddy Longlegs and their ilk. (I also lost my 'sweet tooth', but that's another story.)

I hate to say it, but fear of spiders is pretty much an irrational fear. And exposing yourself to this fear is what's required. So let's start now, with this image, below (yes, those 2 spiders do look a bit creepy, I admit!)...

10. FEAR OF COMMITMENT

Another so-called male fear, fear of commitment affects us all, I believe, at different stages of our lives. I also think - as with the other top 10 fears listed above - that we can suffer this fear in one part of our lives, and not in another.

So, I am happy to commit my financial future to this website - the one that you're on, SelfHelpCollective.com - whilst I am less keen to commit to someone in a romantic relationship. There are others who are quite happy getting married (again and again, sometimes) but would never risk doing what they loved professionally instead of earning a regular and reliable income in a dull job that is slowly 'killing' them.

So I'm going to be kind to myself and my fear of commitment. Well, today I am, anyway! ;-)

Last edited:

akl63

Exalted member
Was curious, so went and looked. This info provided by one person pretty much hits all of the other articles I looked at. Fear of flying even beats fear of death!!! Wow, this list is really interesting.

They are one of the same for me. My fear is that the plane is gonna crash and I'm gonna die.

Just the plane crashing and me being ok, I'm not that fearful of. Maybe get a nice settlement, retire young hopefully not crippled. Just claiming psychological damage lol.

Opuchlol

Well the fear of flying was not so bad after 50mg of diazepam,And i think i would gladly fly again and look forward to more vacations,I was a bit concerend as i was carring another 100mg in a bottle in my hand luggage for wich i had no priscription,but nothing was said i just walked straight through.Also i no longer get panic attacks when i think of flying

Distilla

Im assuming your not looking for an in depth answer so ill give you the simplest answer that has the ablity to cure just about any problem. The answer is oxygen. Breath my friend. It seems too simple but it works. You dont have to believe in it. You just do it.

cara

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm afraid of heights or to be more accurate - I am afraid of edged near long drops. I say this because while I do not like high bridges, cliffs or open platforms I usually have no problem with enclosed spaces no matter how high they are. So I can be in an aircraft or up on a high floor in an office tower with floor to ceiling windows and I am not bothered. But show me a high exposed pedestrian bridge or a viewing platform suspended above a cliff even with high safety rails and I will not cross it. I don't even like seeing my loved ones in such places.

depthoffield

Lapsed Senior Member
My friend once told me that she went on a movie date the night before flying. What did she choose to watch? Final Destination. Lol, who does that?!

Anyways, I took a trip out to NYC at the beginning of this year and it was my first time flying in several years. I was very anxious to say the least so I took a few Xanax tabs for the plane ride to and back. Well, turns out I didn't bring enough so I didn't have any for the return flight. The morning of I contacted my doctor to see if he'd approve a refill at a local CVS. He was willing to, but shortly thereafter a clerk at CVS called and told me New York pharmacies are not allowed to fill out-of-state prescriptions for controlled substances. Like WTF?! So in every emergency situation a traveler -- which NY has a lot of -- has to waste tons of time and money to see a doctor just to get an in-state script?! Ugh... Just another reason why our healthcare system is so effed up!

But yeah, to conclude the story I just got on that plane with a bunch of benadryl and thankfully I knocked out for most of the flight home.

HarryIrene

Renowned member
I've never had a 'Fear of Flying"in itself...My fear is I'm a Control-Freak and I don't like the feeling of not being in control on my situation...another other words, I don't like some Fella'or Gal driving me around in a steel tube way upin the sky goin' fast...I wanna' know what the hell is going on in that cockpit...I wanna' drive!!!!! So a couple V's and a couple of stiff drinks and I'm good to go....

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks