• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

For The Love of Dogs

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

jaders

Exalted member
@ThatStrangeWolf - lol. YES, she is a sweet little pup and I love her but when I say she chews everything, I do mean EVERYTHING! It's been awhile since I've had a pup so it's a bit frustrating but I don't "spank" her or yell at her, I just exchange what she's chewing on with something she can chew on (toy). That is, when I can catch her at doing the chewing.

In all others area's she's a gem!:) I too think she will grow out of it.

Hey @Katey. Try going to YouTube and put in dog chewing or any keywords around your issue. I ALWAYS find helpful videos for just about any dog issue (and anything else in life, really) on YouTube. It really amazes me how many folks make videos.

Good luck!! I have a sixteen yr old dog and altho I love her greatly, I cannot WAIT to have a new young energetic dog again!!

Attachments

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member

trish5959

Distinguished member
No suggestions here. You have to know an animal before you can give him or her a name. I adopted a rescue dog who was given the name Janine because the pound had to call her something and apologies to anyone here with the name Janine but it really wasn't her. She maybe wasn't the absolute beauty people look for when they're after a dog on facebook etc but she was a total Lily to us.

trish5959

Distinguished member
@ThatStrangeWolf - lol. YES, she is a sweet little pup and I love her but when I say she chews everything, I do mean EVERYTHING! It's been awhile since I've had a pup so it's a bit frustrating but I don't "spank" her or yell at her, I just exchange what she's chewing on with something she can chew on (toy). That is, when I can catch her at doing the chewing.

Hey @Katey. Try going to YouTube and put in dog chewing or any keywords around your issue. I ALWAYS find helpful videos for just about any dog issue (and anything else in life, really) on YouTube. It really amazes me how many folks make videos.

Good luck!! I have a sixteen yr old dog and altho I love her greatly, I cannot WAIT to have a new young energetic dog again!!
I felt totally lost when one of my two old dogs died. She was the one who always cuddled up, crept under the blankets, put her little cold nose on my forehead if she thought I should be up by now. Enjoy it while you can.

Santa's little helper

Exalted member

I felt totally lost when one of my two old dogs died. She was the one who always cuddled up, crept under the blankets, put her little cold nose on my forehead if she thought I should be up by now. Enjoy it while you can.
My Inspector friend; thinking 'Oliver' after that twist fellow :)
or in honour of Wendell Holmes.
Considering a four legged companion as well

Katey

Exalted member
I'm concerned and a bit amused and need advice from all the dog people here! My little pit mix "Nala" seems to be getting a bit TOO concerned about her pig ears! :unsure: She cries and whines and runs around looking for places to hide her pig ear. She loves especially to hide it under my legs when I'm sitting on my bed watching tv. She uses her nose to push the blankets and ME over the ear. She'll nudge my belly and legs to try and cover the pig ear. She'll leave it there for awhile then she'll start crying all over again, comes and gets it and proceeds to hide it elsewhere, and then after some time passes onto the next hiding place with lots and lots of whining and crying over where and what to do with it. Funny thing is she won't do this routine with her bones or toys, just the silly pig ears! Should I stop giving her these delectable goodies??? Any ideas on why she does this?? and if it's just disturbing her too too much? Thoughts and idea's are appreciated. :giggle:

jaders

Exalted member
I'm concerned and a bit amused and need advice from all the dog people here! My little pit mix "Nala" seems to be getting a bit TOO concerned about her pig ears! :unsure: She cries and whines and runs around looking for places to hide her pig ear. She loves especially to hide it under my legs when I'm sitting on my bed watching tv. She uses her nose to push the blankets and ME over the ear. She'll nudge my belly and legs to try and cover the pig ear. She'll leave it there for awhile then she'll start crying all over again, comes and gets it and proceeds to hide it elsewhere, and then after some time passes onto the next hiding place with lots and lots of whining and crying over where and what to do with it. Funny thing is she won't do this routine with her bones or toys, just the silly pig ears! Should I stop giving her these delectable goodies??? Any ideas on why she does this?? and if it's just disturbing her too too much? Thoughts and idea's are appreciated. :giggle:

Haha. Nala!! Love the name. 😍

Whenever they get TOO obsessed with anything I think it’s good to limit it in certain ways. I wouldn’t say never give them to her, but I would pick it up if she isn’t eating it or chewing on it. If she knows she has limited time with it she won’t start “resource guarding” and you will show her that YOU control the resources. (Which you do.) Trouble can start when they start “collecting” items of value, and that can lead to not wanting to give things up. Then you definitely might have problems.

Just my opinion. 🤔. Will be interested to hear what other folks think.

vytis drakona

Distinguished member
Whenever they get TOO obsessed with anything I think it’s good to limit it in certain ways. I wouldn’t say never give them to her, but I would pick it up if she isn’t eating it or chewing on it. If she knows she has limited time with it she won’t start “resource guarding” and you will show her that YOU control the resources. (Which you do.) Trouble can start when they start “collecting” items of value, and that can lead to not wanting to give things up. Then you definitely might have problems.
@Katey

I think @jaders is absolutely spot on with this advice. I don't really have anything to add except to highlight it is important to limit this behavior as much as possible. Maybe only give the pigs' ears as a major reward then remove when she's done chewing it. Unchecked, this behavior could possibly lead to food/toy aggression. You definitely don't want that with a big toothy pup, lol. Not to mention it sounds like it may be causing her some anxiety.

Also, I have a friend with a pit named Nala as well! She's an absolute sweetheart and definitely the mother hen/fierce protector to all the other dogs (4 pits total!) & children they have. It's always fun visiting- they all think they're lap dogs and know nothing about the concept of personal space :ROFLMAO:

Katey

Exalted member
@jaders - You are definitely right about her "resource guarding" and although she doesn't have a selfish or bad bone in her little body, I don't want to encourage or bring out any unfavorable behavior in her. Thank you for the advice! I do think as @vytis drakona said " it sounds like it may be causing her some anxiety" is very true. And although it's amusing to watch her with the pig ear, I think it's just making her WAY too anxious and I will limit the amount of time she has with it, and also like you said about controlling the resources. Again, thanks for the input - it's appreciated. :giggle:

jaders

Exalted member
@jaders - You are definitely right about her "resource guarding" and although she doesn't have a selfish or bad bone in her little body, I don't want to encourage or bring out any unfavorable behavior in her. Thank you for the advice! I do think as @vytis drakona said " it sounds like it may be causing her some anxiety" is very true. And although it's amusing to watch her with the pig ear, I think it's just making her WAY too anxious and I will limit the amount of time she has with it, and also like you said about controlling the resources. Again, thanks for the input - it's appreciated. :giggle:

I had a little shitzu named Buddy who I classified as VERY materialistic and very covetous. 😆 He was a wonderful sweet boy but he would drag every toy out of the basket just to look over his “net worth.” And when another dog had a ball, even if Buddy had one himself as well, he wanted that other dog’s ball. Trying to take something from him that he didn’t want to give up could be dangerous to my health. 😏. It’s a bit easier to deal with in a smaller dog tho. We definitely “practiced” sharing...😜

Attachments

Last edited:

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member

Haha. Nala!! Love the name. 😍

Just my opinion. 🤔. Will be interested to hear what other folks think.
Hi, I would agree with @jaders, that is most likely the problem and you need to assert control over anything that your dog is obsessing control over. You are the pack leader, and you decide when, what and where your dog eats. It's not cruel as the dog will be happier knowing the rules.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks