Forum home page now "What's new"

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the forum should have a more dynamic homepage so I've set the "What's new" screen to be the default when you access https://pharmacyreviewer.co/forum/
We can have a poll after trying it like this for a week or two, to see if the majority of members prefer it like this, or the old list of forums page.

Also, I added a sidebar to that page listing all the forums, which shows the latest activity, including an excerpt of posts. It does show reactions given as well. I think the page feels more alive this way.

What does everyone else think about these two changes?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
As with the old forum software "What's new" might better be called "unread posts" since it won't show your own posts by default. You can include your own posts in the list by clicking "latest posts".

magchik

Distinguished member
Always appreciate those who are willing to try the NEW (Then again there was that New Coke mess😱)
For me I need 2-3 weeks just to figure out where the old stuff went and what the new stuff does.

It's all good however!
magchik👽

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad everyone seems to have taken this additional change in their stride! There has been a lot of upheaval here recently.

calgal99

Eminent member
Nope, I don't like this at all. However, I mainly view this site on a PC, not a phone, so I'll allow that perhaps this is better for (most? many?) of those who use a phone or tablet. I don't like the automatic page refresh, though. @Admin, is there any way to turn that feature "off"? Thanks!

Skeptical

Distinguished member
Probably doesn’t matter to anyone lol but I don’t like it either! I’m having trouble finding threads I want :(
Changed my mind. I’m finding it pretty easy now and like the new upgrade :)

Last edited:

calgal99

Eminent member
Probably doesn’t matter to anyone lol but I don’t like it either! I’m having trouble finding threads I want :(
Checking on how "reply" works, here... Also, I reset my home page to the "/forum/forums/" page, at least that looks a bit more normal to me.

[edit: "reply" doesn't nest anymore, makes this really hard to follow IMO.]

feisty

Distinguished member
Yeah I am not a fan either. I log in and read o my phone. I loved the old version but his one is just not for me..

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
@Admin, also, some of the icons don't seem to work anymore.
Smilies fixed, thank you for pointing this out.

I have set up nested quoting too.

We can hold a poll about the layout of the forum homepage in a week or two and I'd be happy to go with the majority.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I am not a fan either. I log in and read o my phone. I loved the old version but his one is just not for me..
Dissenting voices encouraged too. "You can't please all the people all of the time." :worried: It was impossible to maintain a desktop and mobile version of the site. With this new software you can do everything on your phone which you could do on the full version before.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see who you are following already but I think an important part of making this new forum setup work for you is to follow your friends on here and even just people whose posts you find interesting. That way you can make your own personalized news feed.

DulyNoted

Exalted member
Seems that there are some difficulties with the change email in settings functionality. When @Katey changed her email in her profile and requested confirmation none came. She now has insufficient privileges to do anything in PR. Apparently PR feels that her account is awaiting confirmation. Can you help with this.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Seems that there are some difficulties with the change email in settings functionality.
Yes will follow up by PM. The email might have got stuck in the spam folder as in general emails are being sent OK.

calgal99

Eminent member
Dissenting voices encouraged too. "You can't please all the people all of the time." :worried: It was impossible to maintain a desktop and mobile version of the site. With this new software you can do everything on your phone which you could do on the full version before.
@Admin, thanks for this. I know I'm in the minority, and I'll figure this site change out eventually, but even on a PC it looks clean and streamlined. And just because I prefer my PC and huge monitor doesn't mean that I'll never visit via my phone, as well. But as an "olde" I hate change, lol.

Danie

Exalted member
At the moment, it’s a little confusing. But everything new is. I probably haven’t been using it for more than 1 hour total since. It used to log me out, but new one doesn’t.
I see the reply & like, where is Helpful?

personally, I love the nice clean look. Much easier to read on my phone

calgal99

Eminent member
At the moment, it’s a little confusing. But everything new is. I probably haven’t been using it for more than 1 hour total since. It used to log me out, but new one doesn’t.
I see the reply & like, where is Helpful?

personally, I love the nice clean look. Much easier to read on my phone
Hi, @Danie! There's a new ratings system, all under the "Like" icon at the bottom right of each post. Dr. B posted about it at https://bit.ly/2PtPh0U :)

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
@Danie Glad you're getting used to the new look. You can log out by clicking your username at the top right and clicking
2020-08-02_10-45-34.png