• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Getting started in PM advice.

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Okbanana22

Honorable member
Hi all. I'm 42 years old. I've been using iop pk's for some years now. I have out dated hardware from an outdated surgery about 3 decades ago.
My regular doctor won't prescribe anything anymore, not even tram. It sucks. I also have fibro symptoms. I've been in a couple of car accidents where I flipped my car.
I found what I think may be a good place.
He takes cash pay and advertises as an 0piod based clinic.

So how can this work? They asked for 3 mos med records. Can I be honest and kinda ask for what I would like? Or do I still have to play all the games? I just want a decent r x without too much hassle?
It's expensiove but so is here.
Any help would much appreciated!

cajunbulldog

Eminent member
I was refered by my goverment healthcare to my private neuologist in May 2020.Did pain procedures blocks and burns.Pain management from May 2020 until now.I am on schedule for more nerve burns since mine lasted about a year. Be honest with the doctor and don't tell him about internet stuff. Be ready for a advanced drug test as well as pill counts.I don't pee often but they like to count. Upon exam and history you can mention what worked in the past.

jaders

Exalted member
Hi all. I'm 42 years old. I've been using iop pk's for some years now. I have out dated hardware from an outdated surgery about 3 decades ago.
My regular doctor won't prescribe anything anymore, not even tram. It sucks. I also have fibro symptoms. I've been in a couple of car accidents where I flipped my car.

So how can this work? They asked for 3 mos med records. Can I be honest and kinda ask for what I would like? Or do I still have to play all the games? I just want a decent r x without too much hassle?

I have zero advice to give you, but I sure look forward to hearing about how this goes? I would think any place advertising that they’re “opioid based” would draw way too much attention from the fascists? 😏

Doc Rogue

Distinguished member

I have zero advice to give you, but I sure look forward to hearing about how this goes? I would think any place advertising that they’re “opioid based” would draw way too much attention from the fascists? 😏
Yeah with the way the ABC’s were, and have been cracking down on Dr’s who - in their own opinion.. were over-prescribing,, I find that pretty unbelievable that a clinic would be advertising in such a way.
Not that I find anything wrong with that! I’ve been through all the hoops. If I had to do that all over again? It’s so damn deflating.. meaning I would get very depressed and frustrated to have to do all the non-opioid exercises and stretches, and procedures - just to find that nothing helps eliminate my pain.

I’d be curious to know how this turns out as well. And please don’t take this the wrong way… but it almost sounds like you’ve found a ‘dirty clinic’. Like the whole cash based thing. And I have never heard of a clinic advertise to the public that they are an narcotic based clinic.
But hey - if it helps you.. I’m happy for you!
Do let us know how it goes 👍🏼

Blackbird123

Honorable member
@Okbanana22, I also wish you success. That said, as you have not been scripted pain meds that will be in the system, it's possible that the DR will want to start you off with lower doses. Although this may be a DR that does not care about that. Do be careful though as this DR may disappear (due to alphabet agency) leaving you high and dry just when you are calling in for a refill.

Let us know how it goes. We may be able to help you work the doctor a bit. By this I mean giving you ideas on how to explain your pain and the difference in your life that scripted pain relief can make.

Am I the only one who thought these open-minded places were shut down decades ago?

jaders

Exalted member
@Okaybanana22 My future plan is to start at a pain clinic for addicts. They will give a good amount of pain med and all you need to do is show up each day and leave off benzos and weed. Hope everything works out good for you, whatever you decide to do.

I can understand leaving out the benzos - but why weed? And would you allow them to drink alcohol? Lastly -
Why do they have to come daily? Just curious. It’s an interesting idea tho. 🤔

Altho actually this sounds very similar to a methadone maintenance program. 😁

Doc Rogue

Distinguished member
I think a few of us probably misunderstood what you were saying in your first post @ludwig1961.
I understand now what you meant, in that you are going to go back to a clinic that offers MAT. You should do what works best for you, and I wish you nothing but the best, and all the success in life.

Best of luck on starting back up with the program at the clinic, and let us know how you’re doing from time to time ✌🏼

@Okbanana22,
If this isn’t prying too much..
Is this the same type of clinic as what ludwig1961 is describing? Or some other type of pain management clinic?

Okbanana22

Honorable member
I think a few of us probably misunderstood what you were saying in your first post @ludwig1961.
I understand now what you meant, in that you are going to go back to a clinic that offers MAT. You should do what works best for you, and I wish you nothing but the best, and all the success in life.

Best of luck on starting back up with the program at the clinic, and let us know how you’re doing from time to time ✌🏼

@Okbanana22,
If this isn’t prying too much..
Is this the same type of clinic as what ludwig1961 is describing? Or some other type of pain management clinic?
I actually haven't heard of that type of clinic....sounds like most similar to a methadone clinic to me.

This place just advertised as a regular pain management clinic. I called to ask questions and get some info and the receptionist mentioned that they were "opioid based." Which I though was actually pretty helpful, unstead of getting all the way down there and having them tell me they don't rx PK's.....

wintermute

Distinguished member
Does anyone know what the UA at a standard pain management clinic in the US tests for? I was referred to a PM clinic by my spine doctor and just got home from my first appointment. I didn't know that I would be taking a UA today, so I have DHC, modafinil, and pregabalin in my system.

jaders

Exalted member
Apparently I passed both the UA and oral swab test and I received my prescribed pain meds today.

Older thread but I’m impressed that you passed a drug test with DHC in your system. I’ve wondered how it would show up on a test. I assume it would show up under the opiate umbrella but they seem to separate oxycodone out from that group too, so I had wondered about how DHC would show.

Great that you got some actual pain meds from a legit source!!

Last edited:

wintermute

Distinguished member
@jaders After reading up on the drug tests used in most PM clinics, the DHC may have shown up on the test but I'm too afraid to ask. The NP that I'm assigned to has been very sympathetic towards me and could've made an exception in my case.

I've stopped using DHC and now I'm being careful to pass the tests going forward. The bup patch that I'm prescribed is working much better for me than the DHC, and it's cheaper with no IOP rollercoaster involved.

Last edited:

illbananas

Honorable member
@jaders After reading up on the drug tests used in most PM clinics, the DHC may have shown up on the test but I'm too afraid to ask. The NP that I'm assigned to has been very sympathetic towards me and could've made an exception in my case.

I've stopped using DHC and now I'm being careful to pass the tests going forward. The bup patch that I'm prescribed is working much better for me than the DHC, and it's cheaper with no IOP rollercoaster involved.
Super surprised you like the bup patch. At my start on pain management they tried all the lower level stuff like bup patches, and I couldn't get anything good until I said the lower stuff didn't work. Bup you could have gotten in much larger quantities, with much less hassle and money, by just showing up at a detox clinic and telling them you're in withdraw. That would have scored you as much bup as you wanted.

Bup is a partial antagonist and not a full-opioid. They give it to addicts to fill their receptor and partially activate it. It has a ceiling effect, so taking more won't do anything, except block opioids for longer. They attempt to get addicts up to as high of a bup dose as possible to provide the longest block of other opioids as possible. The more you take the longer you are blocked.

Also if you ever have an emergency or somebody else gets into your med, naloxone will not reverse it and in an emergency operations or procedure, they cannot give you a full opioid b/c it can't knock bup off the receptor, so you would be stuck in pain for 72 hours+ until the bup got out of your system.

Horrible drug IMO.

chuckers

Bup you could have gotten in much larger quantities, with much less hassle and money, by just showing up at a detox clinic and telling them you're in withdraw. That would have scored you as much bup as you wanted
When you say you could have just showed up, do you mean that you wouldn't even have to get a doctor etc? I'm trying to get a family member suboxone for her pain management because she moved to California and now can't find a doctor that will prescribe it since they say they have to have classes that teach you how to prescribe it etc
Any help figuring out how to get this would be appreciated!
What pain medication ended up working the best for you?
Thanks!

chuckers

I called to ask questions and get some info and the receptionist mentioned that they were "opioid based." Which I though was actually pretty helpful, unstead of getting all the way down there and having them tell me they don't rx PK's.....
A family member just tried to get into a pain management place and they said they take the insurance but the first session is $300 and they won't take insurance for that. Do you have a clue why that might be? And I'm curious as to what happened with your situation. Did you find a good option?

Doc Rogue

Distinguished member

Super surprised you like the bup patch. At my start on pain management they tried all the lower level stuff like bup patches, and I couldn't get anything good until I said the lower stuff didn't work. Bup you could have gotten in much larger quantities, with much less hassle and money, by just showing up at a detox clinic and telling them you're in withdraw. That would have scored you as much bup as you wanted.

Bup is a partial antagonist and not a full-opioid. They give it to addicts to fill their receptor and partially activate it. It has a ceiling effect, so taking more won't do anything, except block opioids for longer. They attempt to get addicts up to as high of a bup dose as possible to provide the longest block of other opioids as possible. The more you take the longer you are blocked.

Also if you ever have an emergency or somebody else gets into your med, naloxone will not reverse it and in an emergency operations or procedure, they cannot give you a full opioid b/c it can't knock bup off the receptor, so you would be stuck in pain for 72 hours+ until the bup got out of your system.

Horrible drug IMO.
This is only one take on Bupe, and an extremely bad one at that.

It’s fine that you post your personal experiences with it, but I happen to know of several others on here who deal with daily chronic pain, and are on Buprenorphine.
And they happen to be quite happy with how well it helps them manage their pain.

I believe it’s also used in the EU more than here in the US for chronic pain patients, instead of being more of a detox med in here the states. Which I think both are fine, as long as it’s doing what it’s meant to do for that individual.

Just because it didn’t work for you doesn’t mean it isn’t right for someone else.
And if you were really knowledgeable about bupe, you would know that with this med - more doesn’t always translate into being better. Often times.. less works much better than more.. so each person needs to find the level that works best for their needs.

I also happen to be in PM myself now for many years. Going along with what you consider heavier duty meds, I too have offered those along with bupe, to try and help manage my pain.
I elected to go with two other meds after trying several - as my insurance dictates the ones you can try, and those that they will cover. It was a process of going through several that didn’t work, to find the ones that did. But recently, after reading up and educating myself, I wouldn’t rule out trying Bupe some day. Studies have show that it works well for chronic pain patients that deal with similar symptoms such as mine.

So hey - I’m glad you found what works for you. But that doesn’t necessarily mean everyone else has to go along with your regimen is, to find the med that works for them. And this person was taking DHC, and if IIRC, possibly tram too, which I would consider lower tier pk’s - so I can totally understand if bupe was enough for them to help cover their pain.
That’s what we strive for when we decide to go the PM route.. is to find help with meds that make the pain tolerable so we can live our lives and be as productive as we can.

So I don’t know why you would berate her post, for letting us know she’s in a better place now on the bupe patch?

@wintermute, I’m really happy you found something that works for you. Don’t listen to the naysayers, you do you and what works best for your pain needs.

chuckers

Just because it didn’t work for you doesn’t mean it isn’t right for someone else.
My family member was having such difficulties with normal opiates that she couldn't function at all. They would give her such low doses and expect her to deal with the pain and never increase the dosage. It wasn't until i told her to try asking for Suboxone that she finally got some respite and began to have days where she could function.
I do worry about the fact that if she ever needs to have increased pain reduction for an accident or something similar, she may not be able to get any reduction from it until she comes off the suboxone. But having to worry much less about increased dependency and overdosing is something that benefits her now and has for years now. A bird in the hand and all that...

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks