Ginseng, Korean Red Panax, and others

M77

Exalted member
So, I have been reading about the virtues of Ginseng for years. I used to buy the little vials they used to sell at convenience stores, but never thought they did anything. I think they stopped selling them, because they had an alcohol base, probably used as a solvent, and kids were buying them.

I realize that Ginseng is supposed to be a “men’s health” supplement, but that is not what I was looking for. If I was, I would proceed directly to the real prescription solutions available, but knock on wood (pun intended) I don’t have to worry about that, thankfully.

My interest is in the Eastern medicine uses as a health tonic for almost everything. On Amazon, there are a staggering amount of reviews, as to energy, increased focus, with people saying that they have stopped drinking coffee, because of the extra energy, and focus. I took a shot at a Red Korean Panax, that had amazing reviews. I just ordered it, so I can’t give any impressions yet.

Anyone try this type, or another type, of Ginseng, and found it helpful? I am interested in nootropics, and things that that increase focus. I do find good old caffeine does kick me into a higher gear, but that should be no surprise to anyone. I would love an alternative, that doesn’t have a tendency to burn a hole in your gastric system. I am in a very high stress business, and fortunately, I haven’t had any problems with caffeine, so far, but I wouldn’t mind a replacement, to proactively prevent any type of future problems.

Asian culture has an extremely low rate of cardiovascular problems, which is mostly attributed to a diet high in fish oils, and rice. So they are doing something right, and Ginseng is truly revered, for numerous reasons.

Any thoughts, experiences, comments?

M77

Exalted member
I received the Noomost brand, of Panax Ginseng & Ginko Biloba. It was very highly rated on Amazon, and I have been taking it 3 times a day, as instructed, for a week. Nothing, and not even a placebo effect. I know there are numerous varieties, does anyone have a recommended type, or brand, or both, that actually worked? Thanks in advance!

M77

Exalted member
I am surprised that with thousands of members, nobody has had any experience with Ginseng. I thought it was extremely popular. Anybody have anything to share, and/or a recommendation of what type worked at all?

Marcone

For me, turmeric is more interesting and has more benefits than ginseng. It is good for those who are coping with depression or anxiety or for those who are dealing with other illnesses.

Reactions: M77

Doc Rogue

Honorable member
I am surprised that with thousands of members, nobody has had any experience with Ginseng. I thought it was extremely popular. Anybody have anything to share, and/or a recommendation of what type worked at all?
Ginseng is one of those supplements or natural type products that have been in the know for decades it seems, touting natural health benefits. Seems like there’s a new one that gets ‘discovered’ every few months for the first time as well, even though they’ve been around since the dawn of time. Such as açaí berry, shark fin or flax seed to name a few. Chinese herbal medicines I’ve always found fascinating to read about.
I used to end up buying into some of it more when I was younger, but like you recently found out from your order, I would never seem to notice any improvement or health benefit. Not to say it wasn’t doing something, but it definitely wasn’t anything earth shattering enough that I could physically see or feel anything different.
I think over time I’ve realized it’s just simpler for me to eat in a healthy and balanced manner, and when I need something that actually helps whatever ailment or condition I’m seeking improvement, to turn towards medication.
Have pain, there’s a pill for that. Tired during the day and lack focus? There’s a pill for that too.
I definitely don’t think that’s the best approach, and I tend to believe that if there’s a more natural way to heal or improve some function that needs addressed in my life, natural is the better path to take. But after feeling duped again and again, or not seeing results in a few weeks or months, I’ve become a bit jaded towards this route. Especially when it comes to pain. If it’s severe, I don’t want to take the time to find a natural way to deal with it that may take weeks to see improvement.
But I applaud your efforts to tackle these areas with a natural supplement, it’s the better and healthier approach long term.
It’s become too easy for us to medicate our problems in the world. Many countries don’t have the availability or means to purchase the meds we do, and have no choice to find a more natural cure. Especially when it comes to cognitive type issues, I think you’re always better off to find something natural to improve function.
And I’m a firm believer that the natural world provides us with what we need to improve any and all parts of our lives. We may not have discovered it yet, but it’s out there. And that includes plants, roots etc. already used in modern medicine.
I would think @Gullible could have something to contribute to these items you’re asking about. Perhaps when he’s on here next he’ll be able to chime in. Hope he’s doing well.
Best of luck @M77 and hopefully you find some answers to your questions about these supplements.

• Helpful
Reactions: M77

M77

Exalted member
@Doc Rogue
Don’t let me appear too wholistic. I definitely believe in better living through chemistry, as I think I have mentioned. I don’t have the patience, or the time management skills, to rely on herbal products. If I can’t sleep, and I have a meeting in the morning, I won’t be steeping Ginseng tea, and staring at the ceiling. I am intrigued by Eastern medicine, to the extent that if they think Ginseng is an all around amazing Elixir, and they have stuck with that for over 3,000 years, I figure something has to be there. The problem is there is so many types. Korean Red Panax, blah blah blah. I have tried a bunch, for no specific reason, and despite the thousands of reviews on Amazon of life changing results, I have never detected anything. Not even a smidgeon of extra energy. But I’m not giving up, I probably just didn’t try the right type. In Asian medicine, it is like the Elixir of the Gods. I just need some direction, as the wandering around, and trying stuff, is only costing me money, which could be better spent on modern American Pharmacology.