Going in for cancer surgery tomorrow - bladder

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Gullible

Exalted member
I saw the surgeon yesterday and he was booked up so I can't get it done until next month some time. They gave me some material to read so I would know what to expect. They mentioned common side effects, occasional side effects and rare side effects. Among the "occasional" side effects they mentioned were cardiac arrest, stroke and death. Nice to know those things are only occasional and not common. Too bad it wasn't under rare but what can you do? I do plan to make out a will just in case

I have contacted a private nurse to come in once a week, might be able to come more often sometimes. Will take care of housekeeping and whatever I need. Should be able to look at the stitches and know if there seems to be a problem or advise on other things.

I really hate it that I didn't get off easy this time like I did the last time. If I had been more vigilant, had insisted on more sessions of the immunotherapy, gone in for more checkups, it might not have come back or might have been caught before it got to this stage. I didn't want this surgery, would have given a lot to avoid it but now its the least bad option. When there are no good choices, you take the least bad.

jaders

Eminent member
I saw the surgeon yesterday and he was booked up so I can't get it done until next month some time. They gave me some material to read so I would know what to expect. They mentioned common side effects, occasional side effects and rare side effects. Among the "occasional" side effects they mentioned were cardiac arrest, stroke and death. Nice to know those things are only occasional and not common. Too bad it wasn't under rare but what can you do? I do plan to make out a will just in case

I have contacted a private nurse to come in once a week, might be able to come more often sometimes. Will take care of housekeeping and whatever I need. Should be able to look at the stitches and know if there seems to be a problem or advise on other things.

I really hate it that I didn't get off easy this time like I did the last time. If I had been more vigilant, had insisted on more sessions of the immunotherapy, gone in for more checkups, it might not have come back or might have been caught before it got to this stage. I didn't want this surgery, would have given a lot to avoid it but now its the least bad option. When there are no good choices, you take the least bad.

Geez, @Gullible. Really sorry to read all this again. I know it's an awful option, but again, one of my very dearest friends kept dinking around because he hated to do the surgery, and by the time he was ready it was definitely too late and he passed away several months later, as it migrated to his stomach.

Life is very puzzling, how unfair it can be. I ponder it daily, but am thankful (and yet often feel guilty) that I have good health and have quite an easy life.

I hope this goes very smoothly for you and ends up easier than you expected!!

notcharlotte

Exalted member
don't play the "what if" game, @Gullible. you did what you thought would work. every surgery has risks and most go perfectly fine. you'll do the thing and it will be okay. just think positively and keep going forward. a nurse sounds like a great idea and it will be nice to have an expert weighing in on your recuperation. don't be alone too much and take it easy. be a man of leisure and prepare books and projects for your recovery period. luckily it's not hurricane season so you can loll about and get healthy. wishing you all the best.

Gullible

Exalted member
Well, I had my preop appointment and half a dozen others. Got stabbed and blood drawn enough to satisfy a vampire, tests and more tests. Now I just have one more test then a teleconference then one more teleconference and they will certify me as ready to go on the carving table. Er, I mean operating table. I'm scheduled for the 21st of this month so I'm trying to get my affairs in order, bills paid etc.

They say no visitors allowed because of the wuhan flu, and everyone must wear a mask who goes in. I don't think they will give me anything for sleep so I will either be up all night and day with occasional passing out or will sneak in a few little things. Haven't decided yet. They allow personal items like phone, charger, reading glasses, toothbrush. Lots of hiding places there hehe.

They want me to come in at the ungodly hour of 5 am just to torment me a little more I guess operation scheduled for 7am. And its an hour drive. I also have to follow tons of instructions what to eat, not eat and not take. No vitamins they said but I will take my magnesium and a few things. Got to drink a special bottle of something the day before, no eating after midnight or drinking and have to bathe with a special soap, twice.

More or less standard for major surgery though for my last 2 operations they didn't require any of that. It will cost a fair bit even with a good insurance policy. Deductible for hospital is $325 a day, plus doctor and anesthesiologist plus whatever else. There is always something else. So if I'm lucky I come out semi broke and hurting, if I'm unlucky... well, don't ask.

As long as the tv in the room is not set to cnn I will be ok. I wonder if there will be anything heavy to throw in case it is? They say they are going to get me up on my feet and walking around right away, maybe even hours after the operation. If I come to by then anyway. No mercy for the sick or weak lol, though it is good to start moving right away. I get a whole 3 days of pain pills when I leave, they are too generous aren't they? Doc is a hardhead on that stuff but I bet if it was him he would find a way to get what he needs (wants). Luckily, I saved most of my previous prescriptions, my other doc is not so stingy with the pain pills so I'll be ok.

Doc Rogue

Honorable member
I haven’t followed this thread extensively @Gullible but I am sorry to hear the cancer is back. That really sucks. A good friend of mine neighbor who lived near me in my community got cancer (don’t remember which one, but I believe liver or pancreas). Wasn’t feeling well, got winded and tired easily. By the time he got to the doc, he was told 6months to live at best. It had traveled to his stomach and other other internal organs, and eventually into is brain. I witnessed him break down and lose a tremendous amount of weight, only to pass away 5 months later. He was an all natural health guru like you. Unfortunately, cancer isn’t discriminatory in nature. It can happen to any one of us.
You’re comment on the 3 days of pain meds post-op caught my attention. It’s been discussed in other threads. I was going to comment that you should consult your regular GP or pain doc to help supplement yourself in case your pain lingers.
But I remember now that you have stashed away some meds from previous ailments, so I know you’ll be alright with that. There’s a few of us on here that have managed to build up or store a supply for rainy days.
I hope the procedure goes well, and your recovery is a swift and complete one. Keep us posted when you’re up to it, on how you’re coping post-op and through recovery. All the best.

Delta L1011

Distinguished member
Well, I had my preop appointment and half a dozen others. Got stabbed and blood drawn enough to satisfy a vampire, tests and more tests. Now I just have one more test then a teleconference then one more teleconference and they will certify me as ready to go on the carving table. Er, I mean operating table. I'm scheduled for the 21st of this month so I'm trying to get my affairs in order, bills paid etc.

They say no visitors allowed because of the wuhan flu, and everyone must wear a mask who goes in. I don't think they will give me anything for sleep so I will either be up all night and day with occasional passing out or will sneak in a few little things. Haven't decided yet. They allow personal items like phone, charger, reading glasses, toothbrush. Lots of hiding places there hehe.

They want me to come in at the ungodly hour of 5 am just to torment me a little more I guess operation scheduled for 7am. And its an hour drive. I also have to follow tons of instructions what to eat, not eat and not take. No vitamins they said but I will take my magnesium and a few things. Got to drink a special bottle of something the day before, no eating after midnight or drinking and have to bathe with a special soap, twice.

More or less standard for major surgery though for my last 2 operations they didn't require any of that. It will cost a fair bit even with a good insurance policy. Deductible for hospital is $325 a day, plus doctor and anesthesiologist plus whatever else. There is always something else. So if I'm lucky I come out semi broke and hurting, if I'm unlucky... well, don't ask.

As long as the tv in the room is not set to cnn I will be ok. I wonder if there will be anything heavy to throw in case it is? They say they are going to get me up on my feet and walking around right away, maybe even hours after the operation. If I come to by then anyway. No mercy for the sick or weak lol, though it is good to start moving right away. I get a whole 3 days of pain pills when I leave, they are too generous aren't they? Doc is a hardhead on that stuff but I bet if it was him he would find a way to get what he needs (wants). Luckily, I saved most of my previous prescriptions, my other doc is not so stingy with the pain pills so I'll be ok.

@Gullible I can relate how much anxiety that may be building within you, as you prepare for this surgery .....I have been on a
high risk of possible Colon Cancer, since the year 2004, with a in hospital procedure, every four years, and I know the anxiety
that can build up, as the clock ticks away......from what I read of your preparation, I think you will be alright (pain reliever wise)
as we may both know, things have certainly changed since, the previous decades of the medical staff, in my case, decades ago,
I could get a IM shot of Demerol, to settle my nerves, back in the 1980's, or a IM shot of liquid Valium, at least before they
rolled me into surgery, for a separate issue with my body, and we both know that those days of pre op surgery care, for a quality
of life (both before the surgery, and the post surgery....and the reality IMHO those days are gone, IMHO, but, as I read....................

you have saved a small, inventory of pain meds, & perhaps some sedatives, for both the pre surgery and the post surgery. that
tells me you are prepared, for the IMO the insane limits on the medical profession,to prescribe ethical appropriate meds, for your
recovery.

In my last series of a complete trust of my surgical team, on my procedure in January of 2017, which was invasive surgery both
this time from my throat to my stomach to my groin to my intestines to my colon to my rear end, and like you I had to arrive at
the hospital at like 7 AM......this time I was better prepared, as I also had on purpose, built up a supply, of both O*yContin and the
hypnotic Zolpidem, due to my previous 4 yr visit, the RN's watched every move I did as I waited in for my call to be rolled into
the surgery room. "The RN's during the year 2013, sternly asked me why did I turn on the spigot in the hospital restroom, as if
they were profiling me. It sure was not like the days of RN's who before 1979, wore all white uniform and white hats..............

I tell you, IMHO, in my last invasive surgery, I came prepared, by self medicating with a dose of self medicating at home pure
oral O*yContin while still waiting on my driver, and I also took my 10 mg of dosing without medical supervision, 10 mg of Ambien,
before, my last invasive surgery(January of 2017) as I knew from my experience 4 yrs before, they would not give me anything
but a choice, but on the operating table, of either Midazolam IV, and due to my high tolerance, I took the responsibility
of taking my squirreled away, Ambien, and, my O*yContin 20 mg, before I left my home, 20 minutes, before i was driven to
the local hospital, and I was so relieved, as the hospital surgery appointment was purposefully delayed for nearly one hour....
and for my 4th "procedure" i knew in advance, the anesthetist would insert a IV in my wrist a dose of propofol, as the three
earlier doses of midazolam was not enough to place me in a deep sleep, so I self adminstered both the oral meds, to assure me
of a totally pain free, surgical procedure, and I had stored enough Ambien and OxyC*ntin, to recover at home, after my
friend and driver safely returned me to my home. (I had a long history of taking both self administered meds). either by
previous M.D's when I lived for years in the SW USA, some years ago.

I certainly may have taken some unhealthy risk, by not telling both my surgical M.D & my anesthetist, of the meds I self
administered on my own....but I had been on both meds for years, by 2017, I took the risk, as I frankly was in a lot of anxiety
and fear of a tube, that ran through my throat to my rectum, I wanted to be pain free, and in my case, I don't remember a
thing, with my first time using propofol. I certainly am not giving anyone advice.....to try my method of reducing my
anxiety. As in the 1970's /1980's, 1990's it was so easy to trust ones M.D for ample opiate pain relievers or a shot of IM
Demerol. IMHO those days are gone with the wind. so @Gullible, I will trust you will be taken care of as pain free as
possible, and I will sincerely hope you will have a healthy outcome. I also hope the spirit of the universe will take care of your needs.

Gullible

Exalted member
karuna is courageous, I'm just practical. You do what you gotta do and try for the best outcome. What else can you do?

I've stopped my peptides already and tomorrow is last day for most vitamins because they thin the blood which is usually a good thing but in this situation it would work against you and promote bleeding. So I stop them. What sort of entertainment do they usually provide? A laugh or anything interesting would be a diversion. I haven't been admitted in a long time so last I recall a tv was usually there or you could pay for it, put it on your bill.

rainey51

Distinguished member
@Gullible - I feel frozen after reading these past few posts...I never know what to say and feel like it's always gonna be the wrong thing but I must because I really like you and care about you.

You are so inspirational, kind, helpful, and intelligent and if anyone can get through this victoriously, it's you.

Wow, I remember back in the 80's having to pay cash daily for the television, somebody would come into the room everyday and collect a couple of dollars or something. Yeah, I hear you about CNN, ha, ha, ha! If what I'm writing is "dorky" sorry I get emotionally frozen and stuff when I'm emotional. I keep trying to think of something to make you laugh but I'm drawing blanks. I will say lots of prayers for you!

4legsgood

Honorable member
@Gullible..... thank you for being a poster who was kind enough to teach.. or return the most obvious question via PM. You have a bit of time yet to prepare, and sorry.. I am with your friend above. Have had a few orthopaedic surgeries in the past that went a bit longer than expected in recovery. Women farmers can continue to damage themselves a lot between diagnosis and repair. And who checks the insoles of cute pj linings or slippers. Felt like a scene from an old prison break movie or something but different night nurses could have made nights hell and was so glad that was planned for. Just going thru any procedure is nerve racking enough. Many here might not have a completely naive metabolism. Do what you can to get thru, and many of us will be watching and waiting til you can write ‘all clear’ ... good luck, friend. Ie... ‘a stitch in time’

Last edited:

notcharlotte

Exalted member
i'm glad you didn't get cancelled, @Gullible. i was wondering about you because my cataract surgery was. everything will go fine.

if you can't sleep, just take a benzo. they give you some pre-op anyway to calm you down, so they are prepared for it to be in your system. also, if those three days of pks is not enough, speak up. my daughter had back surgery recently and had no issue with getting refills. this is what they are for, after all.

we're all pulling for you. i can't imagine the anxiety, but you are handling everything is a healthy way. be well.

Gullible

Exalted member
thanks @notcharlotte I will sneak in some sleepy stuff and take a small amount of benzo before I go in. I haven't used benzos in some time but no doubt I have tolerance from other stuff I take.

It has been an unbelievable hassle! My previous operations I simply showed up at the appointed time and they did it. This time I had to see 2 doctors several technicians or nurses and about 8 or 9 appointments. The cardio was supposed to be one appt but he wanted another test then he wanted a teleconference to talk about it. And to bill for of course. Today I had the final teleconference but the system would not work said I had to have wifi which I'm not using. Could have hooked it up if I had notice known before hand. Same day I had one with another doctor and went fine with no wifi. So now I'm rescheduled for monday and have to be at hospital tuesday and they want the form saying I'm cleared for surgery. Might be too late and everything cancelled have to start over. The last one was just a formality since doc has all the documents but got to bill for that last conference so won't send it on until I do it. I will call back and ask if they can send it on today and just do the other monday but I doubt they will go for that.

While writing this I got a call and they rescheduled me for an hour or so from now so hopefully I will have wifi hooked up by then and can get this done. If the disease or operation doesn't do you in, the hassle from the system may, lol. Unbelievable how much hassle going from one doctor and one hospital to another just a few miles away.

Got pain pills should be fine, I doubt I will use all I have. I'm in the school of if you don't really need it don't use it. I do like the buzz which comes from the pills but I'm glad I didn't give in to temptation. I got a load of groceries today so when I get back I will not have to hassle with that hopefully. Unless power goes out and all food is spoiled. Don't laugh, I would not be surprised, it has happened before. It would fit with all the other hassles. Had an ebay customer who was a total a$$ and gave me a ton of grief because he didn't like something. Tried to give a refund and ebay was not working. He didn't care, made a complaint against me. Plus other junk. Everything at once right now, why not? strike while they are down I guess

I can only imagine how it must be for someone bed ridden, having trouble getting around, brain fog, etc trying to get past all the obstacles they put in your way.

Wifi isn't working, nurse said doc will try skype but no doubt that won't work either. Oh well whatever

Gullible

Exalted member
This is my final post I believe before going in tomorrow early for chop chop. I finally ran the whole gauntlet of things I had to do before. One doc did not answer the phone neither did anyone call back. I guess he wanted to weed out unmotivated patients. The deadline kept approaching and obstacles kept coming up. This morning i went to the hospital again because they wanted more blood.

So unless they cancel everything at the last moment, I'm good to go. I would not mind a small delay like an hour or two but it never seems to work that way. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words I should be back in a week more or less if all goes well.

Did you know the hospitals are almost empty here? They are laying off doctors and nurses right and left. The ones remaining have their hours cut and not a lot to do. Here is another surprising fact, apparently deaths are down in usa compared to same time last year. They told us people would be dropping like flies and they had to take away our liberties. Everyone will be exposed eventually, the time to open back up is very near or already here except a few hot spots.

Good luck everyone with your own trials and tribulations. Hope your letters come through and the doc isn't stingy with what you need.

Gullible

Exalted member
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. They seem to have worked because I got through it and I'm home now. Weak and achy, dizzy can't stand for long periods but not too bad.

I had thought the operation would be the hard part and then I could rest and relax in the hospital. As many of you know doubt already know, you don't go to the hospital and get rest, doesn't happen. The operation was the easy part, take a nape, wake up and its over. The hard part was surviving the broken system they have in place

They roust you every hour or two kind of randomly to stick your finger, take some readings, take blood, ask questions etc. So unless you are a super sleeper you will get none until you pass out from lack of sleep and don't feel the needles etc. They like to take blood at 3 am because the doctor thinks thats a good idea. All sorts of "reasons". I finally committed mutiny and refused to cooperate after midnight. Even then how can you get much sleep with buzzing, beeping and other noises plus monitors lighting up the room. The beds are uncomfortable too.

I was kind of loopy the first couple days (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I was cracking jokes with the nurses left and right calling them darling and aren't you beautiful. Also patting and touching, I did ask first if it was ok and to my surprise they didn't look at me like I was from planet crazy, they said ok.

I have loads of funny anecdotes but will save them for later. I need to catch up on my rest.

Doc Rogue

Honorable member
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. They seem to have worked because I got through it and I'm home now. Weak and achy, dizzy can't stand for long periods but not too bad.

I had thought the operation would be the hard part and then I could rest and relax in the hospital. As many of you know doubt already know, you don't go to the hospital and get rest, doesn't happen. The operation was the easy part, take a nape, wake up and its over. The hard part was surviving the broken system they have in place

They roust you every hour or two kind of randomly to stick your finger, take some readings, take blood, ask questions etc. So unless you are a super sleeper you will get none until you pass out from lack of sleep and don't feel the needles etc. They like to take blood at 3 am because the doctor thinks thats a good idea. All sorts of "reasons". I finally committed mutiny and refused to cooperate after midnight. Even then how can you get much sleep with buzzing, beeping and other noises plus monitors lighting up the room. The beds are uncomfortable too.

I was kind of loopy the first couple days (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I was cracking jokes with the nurses left and right calling them darling and aren't you beautiful. Also patting and touching, I did ask first if it was ok and to my surprise they didn't look at me like I was from planet crazy, they said ok.

I have loads of funny anecdotes but will save them for later. I need to catch up on my rest.

Glad to hear you came through fairly unscathed! For the most part.
I can relate to the ‘days after’ surgery, definitely no picnic. My last few surgeries, I found my anxiety levels kept rising with each passing hour, and by the 3rd day I forced myself to walk down the hall to prove to the Doc I was well enough to go home - lower spine fusion and it hurt like hell, but I couldn’t stand being there 1 minute longer!
I was pretty sure I wouldn’t make it through another nite there and keep it together, getting woken up every hour or two. It’s physically- and even more so, mentally exhausting.
Get some rest, take it easy, and you’ll be up and back at your old routines soon no doubt.
Welcome back @Gullible.