• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Having drugs without a prescription on person

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Name taken

Distinguished member
where i live drugs have been decriminalized for personal use.. all across the board basically

Same here. - maybe we live in the same place? 😜
I wish where I live would adopt similar measures. After a while it becomes painfully obvious that the so-called “war on drugs” is a futile waste of resources that penalizes people unfairly.

Name taken

Distinguished member
But do these state decrim schemes cover actual Rx and controlled drugs? Or are they just turning enforcement eyes away from 'street' drugs, while ramping up the 'opioid epidemic'? (new name for their drug war)
You know, that’s a really good question. I was thinking of a hypothetical scenario where drugs are decriminalized, but doctors still won’t prescribe pain or anxiety medication. If that’s the case, more needs to be done. Doctors are terrified of the DEA and state licensing boards.

Treehiker

Honorable member
I have always wondered, what if the prescription bottle you are using matches the drug in it, but the issue date is 10 yrs ago? Guessing you could squeak with that, still.

jaders

Exalted member
I have always wondered, what if the prescription bottle you are using matches the drug in it, but the issue date is 10 yrs ago? Guessing you could squeak with that, still.

If it’s your name on it I don’t see how that
could possibly be an issue. You don’t always take every med daily or even monthly. You’re carrying around a legal prescription imho…

Treehiker

Honorable member
Hi @jaders - Yes, I assume it's fine no matter how long ago the date is on the container. Mine is from nearly a decade ago and it made me go "hmmm". Mostly just glad I saved it :) Hope all is well with you.

seashells

Exalted member
Any controlled substances is expired within 6months and most LE know this.
Depending on the LE, you have a very SLIM chance of getting a warning. Most people will go to jail, they are trained to look for that stuff. So, no its not ok to ride around with a outta date bottle. Your better off stashing them, some where personal 🤣✌.

jaders

Exalted member
I guess it shows what I know. Thankfully it's never come up for me...but like I said, I live in one of the most progressive areas in regards to drug possession tho, so that's something. ;)

jaders

Exalted member
Any controlled substances is expired within 6months and most LE know this.
Depending on the LE, you have a very SLIM chance of getting a warning. Most people will go to jail, they are trained to look for that stuff. So, no its not ok to ride around with a outta date bottle. Your better off stashing them, some where personal 🤣✌.
Strange tho - I get a script for a small amount of a benzo and the pills aren't considered expired for at least two years. I still don't see how they could nail you in that scenario. It's on an as needed basis and I don't understand how they could think I was carrying them around unlawfully if the meds are good and the expiry date hasn't arrived. So I'm a bit confused on what you mean when you say an expired rx? Is it when the pills are considered expired? I actually get one refill with this med and that refill is available for at least 6 months from the first rx?

Sure wish some LE person would come here and actually explain stuff... :LOL:

it does seem to vary from area to area how these sorts of things are handled, imho.

DrCrackPotz

Distinguished member
But do these state decrim schemes cover actual Rx and controlled drugs? Or are they just turning enforcement eyes away from 'street' drugs, while ramping up the 'opioid epidemic'? (new name for their drug war)
I think this is true in many areas. I am in a state that has legalized cannabis and pushed decriminalization for small amounts of street drugs as well as other types of petty crime, but is still full on “war on drugs” with prescription drugs. All sorts of laws for pharmacy and patient monitoring.

Synecdoche

Exalted member
Keep in mind, decriminalizing is not a free pass. Depending on how much, they can still charge you for intent to distribute, which is still a crime, regardless of where you are. Most of the states that are relaxing the rules are still giving citations, if they aren’t too busy. While this is an infraction, and pretty much equal to a moving violation, with data collection going crazy, you probably will end up in some database. I would only worry about this if you are seeking employment later on, assuming things don’t get much better everywhere. Also, if you are under care at pain management, they probably would find out.

Believe me, anything is a step in the right direction, but decriminalization is more political, than anyone caring about us. The main motivator was how minor possession charges disproportionately screwed minorities, which is true, and was really unfair. I’m all for equal justice, but they still couldn’t care less about legitimate patient issues.

jaders

Exalted member
Keep in mind, decriminalizing is not a free pass. Depending on how much, they can still charge you for intent to distribute, which is still a crime, regardless of where you are. Most of the states that are relaxing the rules are still giving citations, if they aren’t too busy. While this is an infraction, and pretty much equal to a moving violation, with data collection going crazy, you probably will end up in some database. I would only worry about this if you are seeking employment later on, assuming things don’t get much better everywhere. Also, if you are under care at pain management, they probably would find out.

Believe me, anything is a step in the right direction, but decriminalization is more political, than anyone caring about us. The main motivator was how minor possession charges disproportionately screwed minorities, which is true, and was really unfair. I’m all for equal justice, but they still couldn’t care less about legitimate patient issues.

I definitely agree that decriminalization isn’t the same as legal. It was voted in overwhelmingly because folks have finally started to snap to what a massive waste of time and energy it is to keep throwing people into jail for drug use. It clogs our courts and makes the jail overcrowding untenable. There is supposed to be a concurrent addition of treatment availability with this bill, but so far i don’t see that happening and without that, it won’t change anything.

All the laws in the world won’t stop the tide of folks who continue to escalate drug use, which is what is happening all around the country. We will be forced to deal with this issue in a different (hopefully less hostile) manner eventually, altho it’s still going to take awhile imho.

I honestly can’t imagine having a cop pull me over for a traffic infraction and somehow discover my bottle of benzos legally scripted yet the dates aren’t exact. But again - the amount of time I’ve ever dealt with police is pretty minuscule. It’s certainly the least of my worries. Getting my meds thru our fascist customs and getting the DEA to stop acting like nazis with doctors - THATS what I worry about…☹️

seashells

Exalted member
@jaders This is my easiest way to explain it, let's say you got to get a job and you gotta take a drug test, and you fail for Xanax. You got a prescription for Xanax and you have the same exact pills that are supposed to be in that bottle. The prescription is 2yrs old tho, by law those Xanax are considered outdated after 6months. They will most likely fail you, because and schedule drug is only good for 6 months. Or this if you had a refill on that Xanax bottle and it was 8 months the last time you had them filled. All the refills on that bottle are no good, they will not fill them. They know are tricks, unfortunately 😕. If you have nvr been in trouble and the LE wasn't a ass you may get a warning but It's just not worth the risk. I hope this helps some. ✌

jaders

Exalted member
@jaders This is my easiest way to explain it, let's say you got to get a job and you gotta take a drug test, and you fail for Xanax. You got a prescription for Xanax and you have the same exact pills that are supposed to be in that bottle. The prescription is 2yrs old tho, by law those Xanax are considered outdated after 6months. They will most likely fail you, because and schedule drug is only good for 6 months. Or this if you had a refill on that Xanax bottle and it was 8 months the last time you had them filled. All the refills on that bottle are no good, they will not fill them. They know are tricks, unfortunately 😕. If you have nvr been in trouble and the LE wasn't a ass you may get a warning but It's just not worth the risk. I hope this helps some. ✌

Thanks for the explanation! I work in the library field where drug tests don’t come up, thankfully!! My only concern is if I got pulled over for some traffic issue and somehow got searched. Very unlikely but it’s good to know these sorts of things…🤔

CalmSeeker

Honorable member
Lately, when I leave the house, I take just one dose worth with me in case of an anxiety attack. It’s very small, and I just keep it in my pocket or wallet. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where I’d be searched. I just run errands around town and don’t drive like an idiot.

Kovalainen

@scottodono Depends on the country and the police, in China or Iran you could be in hard trouble if you have an accident and there is Xanax found in your car (If it's found in your blood without a prescription you are done). Sometimes it's better to pay and go to a clinic, private one, when they are more "happy" to give prescriptions for strong painkillers and keep it, at least you will have some defence like "and then i bought it online because no one will take care of me in public health mr or mrs judge..." but having a paper that says you got a prescription from a particular drug can be very useful in case of an accident.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks