HBO Series

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

sillypuppiez

Distinguished member
Hey guys,

I love HBO... I'm not a big TV watcher but some of my favorite shows have been from HBO. I'll admit some of my most favorite were from a few hrs to 10 yrs ago but still love the channel...

Curious what everyone else likes & why.....

Some of my favorites
Sex In The City
The Sopranos
Big Love
House of Cards, accept the last season.... really, Claire??
Game of Thrones
Succession

Take care,
SP

M77

Exalted member
@Silkypuppiez
I watched and enjoyed everything you listed, except Sex in the City. I know people rave about it, but not my cup of tea.
I would add Wired, Deadwood, The Deadwood movie (Don’t watch before watching the series), Ballers (You don’t have to be an American Football fan to like it) and the series finale is tonight. Plus I didn’t think I would like it, but The Righteous Gemstones is actually hysterically funny. You have to like Danny McBride, who reunites will Walton Goggins with McBride and many others you will recognize. I only watched some of Eastbound and Down, but will return to it, also McBride, and Vice Principals (Goggins and McBride) one of the funniest, but craziest thing I ever saw.

I stuck with HBO, since that was the thread, but I have some other insanely great stuff from the other channels, like Cinemax, STARZ, Showtime, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, etc.

M77

Exalted member
Isnt Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO?
Its definitely one of those love it or hate it shows.
I love it, larry david has a little genious when it comes to awkward comedy writing. Christmas with the Browns... it cracks me up.
@opiatesandchopin
Yes, I missed that, although it would be impossible to list everything great that HBO has produced, I should have mentioned Westworld, and Curb Your Enthusiasm, although it’s hard to remember when there is 2 years between seasons. I know there are good reasons for the delays, and you have to appreciate that they want to put out the absolute best shows. I believe that they were spending over a million per episode of Games of Thrones, and still are with Westworld. Ask any fan of either if they think it was worth it. I sure do.

A large part of Curb Your Enthusiasm is shot completely add lib. Some of the best scenes where spontaneously caught on the spot. It’s not like they cant reshoot it, but from articles I have read, most are done in one take. I wish I remembered an example, but I can’t remember specifics, as I read about many of them years ago.

Mac Fandango

Honorable member
Good list, 2 that stood out to me were The Sopranos and Deadwood. First when I heard Steven Van Zandt from Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band was going to be in it I had no choice but to check it out, then when the whole story
came together I said to myself, I'm in it for the long run ; ) Deadwood, just the actors and writers told what if must have felt like to be in a town at that time and how it really was, too good to end so quick.

M77

Exalted member
If anyone isn’t watching Watchmen on HBO, you are missing an amazing show. Same producer as The Leftovers, which was also mind blowing. Same people did Lost, which was great, although the last season, and the finale were a little disappointing. Many questions that were supposed to be answered, were not, but the show was worth the ride, despite the end. Lost was on regular network ABC, I believe, but the whole team is now on HBO, and creating amazing stuff.

LeeAnn

Distinguished member
Game of Thrones ranks near the Top of all of my life experiences with watching HBO and with TV in general Same for the Sopraos . But they are done with.

Lately I always really enjoy the cleverness of John Oliver on his weekly award winning show .Last Week Tonight with John Oliver I also like to watch Real Time with Bill Maher

Blues

Distinguished member
Hey guys,

I love HBO... I'm not a big TV watcher but some of my favorite shows have been from HBO. I'll admit some of my most favorite were from a few hrs to 10 yrs ago but still love the channel...

Curious what everyone else likes & why.....

Some of my favorites
Sex In The City
The Sopranos
Big Love
House of Cards, accept the last season.... really, Claire??
Game of Thrones
Succession

Take care,
SP
Brotherhood was brilliant
The most recreant one i watched was succession.
The Sopranos was outstanding

TR71979

Boardwalk Empire was a good ride, at least the first 3 or 4 seasons. Steve Buscemi is great, as is Michael Williams (Omar from The Wire). One show that doesn't seem to get mentioned often is True Detective. There are 3 seasons, each one a separate story with a different setting, characters, everything. The first season was scary good, a very frightening setting and premise, just incredible. Second season started good but kind of fell apart at the end. Third season was a bit of a departure from the mood and style of the first two, but it worked well, played on the compassion a little more than the fear like the first 2 years.

M77

Exalted member
Boardwalk Empire was a good ride, at least the first 3 or 4 seasons. Steve Buscemi is great, as is Michael Williams (Omar from The Wire). One show that doesn't seem to get mentioned often is True Detective. There are 3 seasons, each one a separate story with a different setting, characters, everything. The first season was scary good, a very frightening setting and premise, just incredible. Second season started good but kind of fell apart at the end. Third season was a bit of a departure from the mood and style of the first two, but it worked well, played on the compassion a little more than the fear like the first 2 years.
@TR71979
Completely agree on both. Boardwalk was an excellent show, and I thought it really hit its stride when Bobby Canavale arrived. Good call on missing True Detective on the lists we have posted, of course including mine. I thought Season 1 was was outstanding. The tension was palpable with the undercover biker stuff (I am purposely not saying much). The end paid off.

Now Season 2. I am a big fan of Vince Vaughn. I liked it more than most people, but it honestly wasn’t as good as the 1st season. Season 3 was a return to the brilliance of Season 1. I agree that it was a different kind of story, but I thought it was very effective. Again, I am not getting into details, as I don’t want to ruin it for anyone. While I forgot to mention it here, I did recommend it to any friends that would listen. Good call.

Uncle Rob

Lots of good mentions, and I agree with most. Another I would add would be The Larry Sanders Show, with Garry Shandling, just a really brilliant show. That show never failed to make me laugh "hey now."

M77

Exalted member
Succession has been one of my favorites! Turned many of people on too it, cannot wait for 3rd season
Succession is fantastic. I am paraphrasing, but it was funny when the family of heirs were calling millionaires “the little people,” as they all thrive on the multi-billion dollar business their father built, without them.

Yosher

I've been so enamored of Netflix of late I'd put HBO on the back burner. During the lockdown, I've gone back and revisited the network that brought us the "Golden Age of Television" and laid the foundation for "Peak TV". I haven't been disappointed. In the last few weeks I've enjoyed some of the best binges EVER.

The Wire...missed it the first time around. Have always noticed it on the top of many "best ever" lists. Decided to take the plunge and it is well worth it.

Westworld...caught up on the first two seasons just in time for Season 3 which started last month. Another great intelligent show. You need a map or flowchart to keep track of all the plot connections and timelines but its worth the work.

Many, Many documentaries. Easy to forget that HBO was the first network to bring Docs to the masses as entertainment. There are many great ones. Scientology, The Inventor (Theranos/Elizabeth Holmes scandal), Going for Gold (Olympics Gymnastics scandal), and so many more.

Game of Thrones...mic drop. Just started watching it last week. Already half-way through Season 7. I might be one of the few that didn't get on this ride the first time around. But now that I have I understand all the hype. This show is impressive on a different at-home entertainment scale. I can't wait to get to my TV each night to catch up with all my favorite cats and kittens in the Seven Kingdoms. Season 8 wasn't well received but I'm sure I'll keep going til the long, cold winter's end!

barracuda

For those not familiar w curb you enthusiasm, watch some YouTube clips. That got me.

Synergistic

Game of thrones was my all time fav show until... Well that last season... Ugh it was such an amazing show too.

Veep is pretty great, Deadwood, East Bound & Down, Sopranos, and I'll admit I enjoyed True Blood for the most part :D

Cassius Star

HBO, one of my favorite networks. Some of the shows I enjoyed were; Flight of the Conchords, Eastbound and Down, Game of Thrones, Season 1 of True Detective, Silicon Valley, Curb your Enthusiasm, and I got into Entourage. There's probably other shows I'm forgetting though.

Game of thrones was my all time fav show until... Well that last season... Ugh it was such an amazing show too.

Veep is pretty great, Deadwood, East Bound & Down, Sopranos, and I'll admit I enjoyed True Blood for the most part :D
Yeah, that last season was a major let down. I would also add season 7 in there, and maybe 6, but those seasons were at least passable. Season 8, was just a slap in the face of fans.

Blues

Distinguished member
I've just started Silicon Valley this week. I'm really enjoying it much better than i thought it would be