• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

How different pain meds actually feel

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

dearie23

Distinguished member
I've noticed, after having to take some form of pain relief almost every day over the last 2.5 years for headaches, that there are interesting differences in how various pain meds deal with pain.

Aspirin / Paracetemol - the standard feeling of the pain gradually easing over about 15-30 minutes and lasting between 1-5 hours. The pain either goes away completely or the meds take the edge off.

Ibuprofen - similar to the above, but for me, these seem to last a few hours longer. They tend to leave a burning sensation in my stomach.

Codeine (30mg) with Paracetemol - this feels different. I feel more relaxed in a sort of comforting way. If the pain is really bad, it feels like I know the pain is still there, but I'm behind a veil of protection. If the pain isn't as bad, the med takes it away completely and I mainly feel relaxed and a bit sleepy. This med doesn't last very long though. It works within about 10 minutes but seems to wear off after about 2-3 hours.

Tramadol - this one is weird. It kind of doesn't feel like it's doing anything, but then you gradually realise you don't feel the pain anymore. It's sort of still there, but you can't quite access it. Like your brain's pain sensors don't care. It seems to last maybe 4-5 hours. Sadly didn't give me any euphoria or mood enhancement.

I've never tried anything stronger...except delicious Pethidine in the hospital (at age 8 for my appendectomy and age 18 for an impacted molar in my jaw) injected into my butt flab. Yummy. lol

Cassius Star

I had kidney stones years ago and it was a pain I never want to experience again. They gave me Vicodin when I went to the ER I think, but it never seemed to take the pain away. Nothing I took seemed to bring the pain down. The only fix I had for it, was urinating the stone out eventually, which was easier said than done lol.

I haven't taken many pain meds in my lifetime, but I have used stuff like Aspirin, ibuprofen etc. Just general over the counter stuff. For smaller pain, ibuprofen seems to be the best, as the pain would just gradually go away and sometimes I wouldn't even notice it.

I never thought pain meds would differ so much in the way they work though. Interesting.

dearie23

Distinguished member
It is quite interesting, isn't it!? I think everyone's body is different so each pain med will feel different to each body.

dearie23

Distinguished member
I also find it is pretty effective for headaches, to an extent. The more severe headaches it doesn't do too much for unfortunately.

It's also good as a daily thing in small doses to prevent blood clots.

jc776

Eminent member
Tramadol made me feel really weird when I had four with four DHC. I got one in the hospital after an op that wasn't too bad.
I got addicted to DHC and am recovered from that drug, but had pregabalin addiction which I am recovered from now valium.
Back to pain meds, I am glad I don't need surgery requiring pain meds as I want to stay clean off them, just like I am trying to do with valium. 26mg soon to be 25mg.
Oxycodone, I ordered some, tried some, too soon before food, nearly threw up, however, these scared me, the thought of becoming addicted to them, so I drew a prisoner on the box to put me off taking them, as I hear so many tales of hillbilly heroin and oxycodone users going onto smack as its cheaper, I never did take the rest, I got rid of them, they scared the pants of me.

dearie23

Distinguished member
I'm glad they scared you. You could easily have become addicted.

Pregabalin? I was thinking of trying that to try and help with my mental issues and unhappiness, but am nervous that I'd end up taking it everyday, like I tend to do with these things.

jc776

Eminent member

Pregabalin? I was thinking of trying that to try and help with my mental issues and unhappiness, but am nervous that I'd end up taking it everyday, like I tend to do with these things.
I hope I put you off the pregabalin, some say their withdrawals are horrible, nastier than Benzos and heroin.
I'm happy that you are glad they scared me, I am also glad they oxy scared me off. Glad I drew a prisoner on the box, couldn't face that future if I dipped into the box each time, so away the oxy went.

Gullible

Exalted member
Actual narcotics like oxy give a mood lift along with taking away the pain. No wonder so many get hooked on them. Opiates also do a number on your body, constipation to start and after long use it affects your nervous system too

Nsaids have their bad side as well. They are very hard on the liver and harm the kidneys also. Non drug solutions are best such as electric stimulation, massage, relaxation, meditation, etc. But we want fast results so we pop a pill

Alpha29

Next time you use aspirin or ibuprofen/naproxen or any N.S.A.I.D. take a stomach acid reducer to prevent stomach pain and more importantly from getting an ulcer or a stomach bleed. Naproxen (Aleve) lasts a lot longer than Aspirin and Ibuprofen. Keep in mind you don't want to take these often as N.S.A.I.Ds like these increases your chance of heart attack or stroke albeit with the benefit of an anti-inflammatory effect that apparently helps reduce the chances of getting cancer.

I use gabapentin every day and it depends on what type of pain you have that determines whether it will provide relief or not. I've stopped for as long as 5 days without any sign of withdrawal so it literally depends on the person whether you'll get physically dependant on gabapentin or pregabalin. It's only slightly different with mainly less absorption compared to pregabalin I could type for a long time about both gabapentin and pregabalin but the subject is pain and meds for pain.

Research proves that it's a FACT that the less euphoria you get from an opioid/opiate or pain med the less pain relief. Hence things like Tramadol don't work as well as something like Oxy. Remember we know literally very little about the brain and even less about how the brain works in so many different aspects and ways.

Perspective is everything.

Have you tried using g Bud and if you want to try CBD get the CBD Crystalline Isolate (Pure CBD Powder) that's sold for a way cheaper price than the useless super low doses of like 10-30MG CBD Edibles.

You need like 200-300MG of CBD orally all at once. It has very low absorption of around at best 20-30% or low 30% is the max oral absorption. Eating fat 2-6 Hours before you take your CBD Orally by using a portable MG scale to weigh it up and put it into empty capsules and take it with or without something like Edible THC Oil that you can put on a cookie for example.

Cannabis Bud works better since it has CBD plus all the other Cannabinoids you can Vaporize for a better effect compared to CBD alone except CBD won't get you high or produce any psychoactive effects except for maybe feeling some sedation only in high doses which can be good for insomnia. Recently there is now CBG (Cannabigerol) and that has some different benefits like helping increase your appetite. Except right now it's super expensive.

There are a few alternatives like baclofen that daily use can cause very mild withdrawal symptoms. If you could elaborate on what type of pain your trying to deal with I could help give a better more customized answer to your question?

Last edited:

north19

Distinguished member

Hi @dearie23 I took Pregabalin for two years for nerve pain and mental health issues as I have severe anxiety and sleep disorder and it worked excellent. The pain situation improved and my doc slowly lowered me off and I don.t take them anymore. I actually may ask to try it again as I get gabapentin now and I know it is supposed to be very similar but the Lyrica worked so much better So fo me and my situation it worked great but I have read stories of addiction. I never really felt addicted to it in any way but it was used exactly as directed which usually keeps you safe. Good luck with controlling your pain and all the best!!

Last edited:

Farquhar001

Distinguished member
I tried pregabalin for pain. I found the side effects horrific, palpitations, dry mouth, severe tremors, dizziness, vision disturbances. However, I know many people who have great success with this med so worth trying to see if it works. Another med I was issued for severe pain was Amitryptaline, again horrific side effects. It gave me palpitations, nausea, dizziness, severe tremor, and zero sleep when on it as my heart could not stop racing. Again.,......I know of people who love Amitryptaline and the relief it gives them from their pain, so it is always worth a try.

Cassius Star

It is quite interesting, isn't it!? I think everyone's body is different so each pain med will feel different to each body.
Oh for sure. That's probably what my problem was, at the time I'm pretty sure it was a really low dosage. I even took more and it was as if it wouldn't touch the pain. But, maybe kidney stones are just too strong to combat against lol.

north19

Distinguished member
I tried pregabalin for pain. I found the side effects horrific, palpitations, dry mouth, severe tremors, dizziness, vision disturbances. However, I know many people who have great success with this med so worth trying to see if it works. Another med I was issued for severe pain was Amitryptaline, again horrific side effects. It gave me palpitations, nausea, dizziness, severe tremor, and zero sleep when on it as my heart could not stop racing. Again.,......I know of people who love Amitryptaline and the relief it gives them from their pain, so it is always worth a try.
I had very unpleasant effects from amitriptyline especially racing heart and lack of sleep.

dearie23

Distinguished member
Very interesting. Many people find amitriptyline makes them VERY sleepy.

And kidney stones I think require some pretty strong pain meds!!!!

notcharlotte

Exalted member
as i've gotten older, i judge pain meds on how they deal with pain. i also have ulcer issues, so am constantly fighting with that. nsaids are pretty much the devil, so it's a constant fight over what my stomach can handle and relief, and, of course, side effects. i do recommend miralax, however, for anyone struggling with constipation. it really works.

north19

Distinguished member
As you mentioned Miralex is a great medication for constpation and my doctor said it was safe even if used frequently. NSAIDs are terrible meds in my mind- hard on stomach and kidneys as well as raise blood pressure. They should have a black box warning on them as they decreased my kidney function substantially after 5 years of use.

north19

Distinguished member
Funny how things work I just posted about NSAIDs hurting my kidneys and they have but got blood test results today and some function has returned and less protein in the urine then normal which is a really good thing. Just a warning though I am still 30 percent lower kidney function then normal for a healthy person my age and the kidney doctor ( nephrologist) asked my history of medication use and I told him I was told to take 2 400 mg ibruprofen 4 times a day for terrible facial pain from bone and teeth being broken when I played hockey and he said that’s what’s injured your kidneys and he also said it is so common. He wished ibruprofen and other stronger NSAIDs such as naproxen and Arthrotec were never invented. Of course they do work and used properly are usually okay but many doctors don’t know they are very dangerous medications. My dad recently had a stroke-he is okay but they immediately pulled him off all his anti inflammatory medication so that shows you right there they need to be used sparingly and although not addictive I would bet ruin as many lives as opiates for sure.

Alpha29

You should never ever take more than 1000MG of Ibuprofen daily or all at once for reasons like kidney damage and or stomach ulcers and bleeding stomach ulcers.

It takes high doses of specifically some like Ibuprofen at say 800MG daily for like 1 or 2 months straight daily use before it will cause kidney problems. Unlike Tylenol (acetaminophen/paracetamol) which will harm your liver Ibuprofen won't harm a healthy person's liver. Keep that in mind if you got a liver or kidney function problem.

Cannabis Bud has the strongest anti-inflammatory effect available and it won't cause all the nasty side-effects other pain-relieving drugs cause. Not to mention the anti-cancer benefit anti-inflammatory effects that Ibuprofen has been shown to have. Eventually, basically 90% of medications will be replaced by Cannabis and especially N.S.A.I.D.s will be replaced by things like CBD which is a great anti-inflammatory in doses that will not to long from now hopefully be reasonably priced as more research becomes available about the medical benefits specific Cannabinoids have on your body.

Your body produces a natural Cannabinoid when you work out. I think it's called anandamide or some. I'm fairly certain there is a Cannabinoid or something that contributes to helping Cannabis Bud preventing producing any type of Withdrawal. Cannabis if you can call it withdrawal when you stop daily long-term use the only bad thing you can experience is vivid dreams since THC is stored in the part of your brain that processes R.E.M. (dreaming) sleep. Or that hot shower compulsion to relieve nausea that I forget the name was (X? type) - syndrome if your really super-duper unlucky it's only very recently been diagnosed in people too.

Last edited:

north19

Distinguished member
You should never ever take more than 1000MG of Ibuprofen daily or all at once for reasons like kidney damage and or stomach ulcers and bleeding stomach ulcers.

It takes high doses of specifically some like Ibuprofen at say 800MG daily for like 1 or 2 months straight daily use before it will cause kidney problems. Unlike Tylenol (acetaminophen/paracetamol) which will harm your liver Ibuprofen won't harm a healthy person's liver. Keep that in mind if you got a liver or kidney function problem.

Cannabis Bud has the strongest anti-inflammatory effect available and it won't cause all the nasty side-effects other pain-relieving drugs cause. Not to mention the anti-cancer benefit anti-inflammatory effects that Ibuprofen has been shown to have. Eventually, basically 90% of medications will be replaced by Cannabis and especially N.S.A.I.D.s will be replaced by things like CBD which is a great anti-inflammatory in doses that will not to long from now hopefully be reasonably priced as more research becomes available about the medical benefits specific Cannabinoids have on your body.

Your body produces a natural Cannabinoid when you work out. I think it's called anandamide or some. I'm fairly certain there is a Cannabinoid or something that contributes to helping Cannabis Bud preventing producing any type of Withdrawal. Cannabis if you can call it withdrawal when you stop daily long-term use the only bad thing you can experience is vivid dreams since THC is stored in the part of your brain that processes R.E.M. (dreaming) sleep. Or that hot shower compulsion to relieve nausea that I forget the name was (X? type) - syndrome if your really super-duper unlucky it's only very recently been diagnosed in people too.
@Alpha29 occasional use is okay from what the nephrologist told me-not for me anymore since I have kidney damage though. I will never touch it again. opiates before that as kidney disease is a cruel disease not to mention high blood pressure and stomach problems. So for me, it is a no go. For the average healthy person a few ibuprofen ocasionally probably is totally safe. They are presribed so mucgh for arthritis though and as mentioned stronger ones like Arthrotec and Celebrex-I know they help but as I said my dad had a stroke and immediately was cut off-I mean same day. He has awful arthritis but they told him to take two 625mg Tylenol 3 times a day or he could try codeine. I just hate that a doctor told me to take 800mg 3-4 times a day and it helped, of course, Dental pain is different than other pain the constant throbbing with each heartbeat. I take suboxone which is actually working pretty well for pain and keeps me off other opiates and it is free here in Canada.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks