• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

How to Ask for an increase of dose?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

RunRunRiver

Honorable member
I’m prescribed IR oxycodone fairly low dose 5-10gm every 6 hours. I want to increase it to 10-15mg or start an ER. Any ideas how to approach this subject with doctor in the best way?
We’ve only been together a few months so I don’t want to seem drug seeking but my current dose is too low for the activities I need to do each day. I have 3 kids under 3 (twins) so I’m struggling picking them up and stuff like that and then I can’t sleep at night due to the pain from over extending myself. I’m in my 30s and have a clean record so far so doctors have been nice and understanding (I have EDS). Anyhoo, any tips bc I get so anxious even thinkng about asking 🙂

jaders

Exalted member
I’m prescribed IR oxycodone fairly low dose 5-10gm every 6 hours. I want to increase it to 10-15mg or start an ER. Any ideas how to approach this subject with doctor in the best way?
We’ve only been together a few months so I don’t want to seem drug seeking but my current dose is too low for the activities I need to do each day. I have 3 kids under 3 (twins) so I’m struggling picking them up and stuff like that and then I can’t sleep at night due to the pain from over extending myself. I’m in my 30s and have a clean record so far so doctors have been nice and understanding (I have EDS). Anyhoo, any tips bc I get so anxious even thinkng about asking 🙂

It’s such a catch 22. They are not going to suggest an increase if you don’t ask - but asking always does have the danger of looking like a “seeker.” Boy it’s a no win. I’m not in pain management so hopefully some other folks here will chime in. But maybe don’t actually “ask” just tell them that you’re still dealing with a lot of pain?

Five years ago this wouldn’t even be a problem - so frustrating!!

RunRunRiver

Honorable member
So I had my usual monthly refill (virtual) Appt this morning and I was speaking with the medical assistant doing check in and she said that the doctor was really busy today and said he’d just refill my script unless I wanted a change. I said I wanted a change. So she looked for an Appt and the next available is Friday. So they filled my script for a week and will do the month refill on Friday after Appt. Hopefully he increases it without much fanfare. I will just be honest and see what happens . Thanks guys

jaders

Exalted member
So I had my usual monthly refill (virtual) Appt this morning and I was speaking with the medical assistant doing check in and she said that the doctor was really busy today and said he’d just refill my script unless I wanted a change. I said I wanted a change. So she looked for an Appt and the next available is Friday. So they filled my script for a week and will do the month refill on Friday after Appt. Hopefully he increases it without much fanfare. I will just be honest and see what happens . Thanks guys

Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

But you have to do a MONTHLY zoom check in every single month to get these meds already? That sure seems excessive? Maybe I’m misunderstanding? Also is this a pain management situation or some other type?

RunRunRiver

Honorable member
@jaders it’s pain management and the check in is 15 mins, so far I only see a PA and they just ask how it’s going and I say good and they say sorry about the long wait then they send in refill. I guess they want a monthly check in for controlled substances. Only drug test once a year, and I only have a $10 copay, and it’s 100% virtual so I’ll take it! Seems too good to be true tbh. Last place I went I had to go in person once a month, and the fee was higher. And thank you I’ll keep you posted!!

Veejur

Distinguished member
@RunRunRiver

1. Have at least one month log of pain rating each day to show
2. Be frank and upfront about being in considerable pain, "yes, I'm asking for more" but tell him/her you are afraid to be labeled drug seeking
3. Don't specify the increase you want. Keep coming back to the pain level each day and the typical activities you must get done
4. Be prepared not to get as much as you hope for. It's a process.

Romanov

Hi @RunRunRiver , I can’t speak for the States, your health system over there seems convoluted and over complicated at times. I’ve only ever practiced as a GP (physician) in the U.K. and for a while in the old Soviet Union. Most GPs can pick up the nuances of being earnest and a good dose of honesty. If they are experienced enough, and you are straight down the line with them, then they can spot the difference between a drug seeker and genuine need almost instantly before you even start to “plead your case” as it were. Also if u have a good bond with your GP, don’t be scared to make a suggestion about what u think u need. As I say I can’t speak for the States but some of my best friends are American doctors, and they r some of the kindest, empathetic people I know.

Please let me know how it goes at your appointment.

Dobre
Rom

Seychelle

Exalted member
I am in a situation where I have to basically validate every single time why I need my medications refilled.

It sure feels like we live in “mean” times. Like I think of the Middle Ages. No one is supposed to have a comfortable life or something like that.

How did we get like this? It makes me very sad…😰
For sure @jaders; sad and wanting something more from our caretakers/ politicians and medical professionals.
Something needs to give.
On a similar thought, first responders are cutting it loose in droves.
What do you make of this and where are we going?

Seychelle

Exalted member
I am in a situation where I have to basically validate every single time why I need my medications refilled.

It sure feels like we live in “mean” times. Like I think of the Middle Ages. No one is supposed to have a comfortable life or something like that.

How did we get like this? It makes me very sad…😰
Some strange and and sexy head wear @jaders ;)
https://[email protected] this post... everywhere in Europe and England.[/URL Truth

DB Dicey

Distinguished member
3. Don't specify the increase you want. Keep coming back to the pain level each day and the typical activities you must get done
I was going back on norco last winter after a hospital stay. I was on 30 every now and then to last 6 mos for migraines and later something else years prior. Then, compressed nerves along with a truant benign tumor in my spine(I’m only suffering, not dying) surgery. My Dr asked me how many norcos I wanted. I was taken aback and said “as many as I can get…I don’t know.” He said, I needa number!” I mumbled out “90 for the month.” He said “deal!” I was shocked things worked like that. Unfortunately, I’m loosing him because being a dr is too frustrating for him. He’s,for 1 more month, the head of an 8 dr office Affiliated with a local hospital. I asked him where he was going and he just glared at my chart and growled “somewhere easier than this!” I sorta felt like I played a small part as I get crabby when I’m broken and drs have no clue what to do. Selfishly, and painfully I’ll miss him and told him so,especially seeing as I’ll have to sell a new dr on my wants and needs. Actually, my pain dr wont need to be trained, but he is more expensive and not such a relatable person.

Last edited:

DB Dicey

Distinguished member
@RunRunRiver

1. Have at least one month log of pain rating each day to show
2. Be frank and upfront about being in considerable pain, "yes, I'm asking for more" but tell him/her you are afraid to be labeled drug seeking
So Seychelle has me on ignore for a bizarre unwarranted reason. What did I miss DB? (In case part of your quoting me had to do with that)
I was just quoting and editing stuff and it turned into a mash and you got caught unawares…at least I think that’s what happened. I don’t write for a living, fun, well or very often

Veejur

Distinguished member
I was going back on norco last winter after a hospital stay. I was on 30 every now and then to last 6 mos for migraines and later something else years prior. Then, compressed nerves along with a truant benign tumor in my spine(I’m only suffering, not dying) surgery. My Dr asked me how many norcos I wanted. I was taken aback and said “as many as I can get…I don’t know.” He said, I needa number!” I mumbled out “90 for the month.” He said “deal!” I was shocked things worked like that. Unfortunately, I’m loosing him because being a dr is too frustrating for him. He’s,for 1 more month, the head of an 8 dr office Affiliated with a local hospital. I asked him where he was going and he just glared at my chart and growled “somewhere easier than this!” I sorta felt like I played a small part as I get crabby when I’m broken and drs have no clue what to do. Selfishly, and painfully I’ll miss him and told him so,especially seeing as I’ll have to sell a new dr on my wants and needs. Actually, my pain dr wont need to be trained, but he is more expensive and not such a relatable person.
Wish I could give a like and a Wow for that story. Quite a doc.

RunRunRiver

Honorable member
@jaders my appointment went really well. He doubled my script but told me to not take the double dose every day, that way I can keep my tolerance down. I love when a doctor trusts you. Makes me feel good bc I can finally just by off these websites occasionally and save a bunch of money. Hope he stays my doc for a long time. He also ordered more tests for me to make sure I’m healthy. None of the other docs did that without me jumping through major hoops (ekg, Ct scan, metabolic screen) due to my illness. Was amazing to have all that without having to beg. Thanks for your advice guys

jaders

Exalted member
@jaders my appointment went really well. He doubled my script but told me to not take the double dose every day, that way I can keep my tolerance down. I love when a doctor trusts you. Makes me feel good bc I can finally just by off these websites occasionally and save a bunch of money. Hope he stays my doc for a long time. He also ordered more tests for me to make sure I’m healthy. None of the other docs did that without me jumping through major hoops (ekg, Ct scan, metabolic screen) due to my illness. Was amazing to have all that without having to beg. Thanks for your advice guys

WOW!! DOUBLED your script? You really hit the lottery! It's so crazy how varied all the doctor's responses to these issues are. It seems to completely depend on the personality of the doctor and really nothing else.

But I am completely happy for you! You certainly deserve it. Thanks for keeping us posted!..

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks