Husband got rushed to emergency surgery today

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Shayna

Exalted member
The day is not even over, but I wanted to let you all know the latest....

This morning, my husband's pain skyrocketed. He had a follow-up appointment with the kidney surgeon anyway, so I took him there. They did x-rays and found a blocked ureter on his other side.

We went straight to the hospital to wait for surgery. Despite fentanyl and multiple rounds of Dilaudid and gosh knows what else, he was still in agony, screaming out loud.

He finally got taken to surgery around 1pm. The surgeon had to dash away to another case, but he cacalled me on the phone. He said my husband came through great and is going to feel a lot better. However, he still has stones on his right kidney that need treatment/surgery.

Meanwhile, I feel like death warmed over, and my blisters have blisters from walking through this whole hospital today.

Gramma

Honorable member
Oh my @Shayna,

I know I don't post often, so you may not even recognize me - but I follow along here... I am so very grateful to hear that the doctors said your husbands surgery went so well. I can only imagine the terror you were feeling when walking the halls of that hospital waiting. It hurts sooooo bad to see someone we love in pain.

I'm glad your husband has you. Did you know we are 4 times more likely to be successful (with whatever is going on in our personal lives) when we have support? We've got your back @Shayna and I'd be there by your side, if I could. I'm sending a virtual hug your way and my prayers are with you both.

gramma

Shayna

Exalted member
Thank you @Gramma. That means so much. Yes, it was frightening and lonely. However, I just kept praying and talking with God -- and posting updates to Facebook so my husband's network would know what was happening.

VEDA

Exalted member
@Shayna. I'm also just seeing this for the first time. Scary, for both of you. I hope he's on the mend, and I hope you are also taking care of yourself. Do they have mobility scooters, or something you could use, so you

don't have to walk as much. Or could you at least request help, and tell them you need wheelchair assistance. I'm sure, they would not turn you down, if they knew your health problems. You don't need both of you, in the

hospital. Prayers to you, and your husband.

Peace

Shayna

Exalted member
Thanks everyone. He was discharged from the hospital late on Thursday. This surgery was actually 2 surgeries I think, on his other kidney. So now he has stents in both kidneys.

I took off work on Friday and rested alongside him for much of the day. One of my online friends on Facebook made me write a sick note email at 1:00 am to my manager, lol. I still had some running around to do to pick food, prescriptions etc., but it wasn't too bad since I wasn't working as well.

My husband is doing fairly well. He is still worn out, poor dear. However, he now wants to do things around the house to help, like bring me a drink or get his own drink. I'm really hoping to get him to shower today, but that's always been a struggle even before this latest health crisis.

He says that he intends to keep our Thanksgiving dinner plans, which are currently for reservations at a downtown hotel restaurant.

However, he is incontinent due to the stents, but he has diapers to wear (leftover from the nursing home back in March). He wore one out in public last week, but it failed and he was so embarrassed. I wasn't ashamed like he accused me of being, but I felt terrible for him. I just don't want a big problem at the restaurant if it can be avoided.

VEDA

Exalted member
@Shayna, I keep my Father in diapers, ever since he broke his leg last year. That's what they did to him in rehab, so we just kept up with it. Of course your husbands situation is completely different, but here are some

suggestions. If he is still embarrassed, as he shouldn't be, then just stay home. Otherwise, there are things you can do. They do have diaper covers, you can put over the diaper, for extra protection. With my Father, when he

goes out, I always put on a regular pair of jockey shorts, over the diaper, that he used to wear. And I now, only dress him, in black, or navy blue pants. Of course, his problem, was mostly about peeing on his pants. When

my niece got married this past May, I gave my brother strict instructions, to bring him in the handicap bathroom, and sit him down. Sure enough, he comes out with a wet stain. It was a nautical themed wedding, and I

had wanted to dress him in white pants, with a nautical tie, and blue blazer, but I knew the darker suit, would be better. No one even noticed, and it dried, on its own. I hope this helps a little, so you can have a lovely

date out with your husband.

Peace

PS. The pull up, overnight diapers work the best, and I also put in added padding, for overnight. It feels like ten pounds of urine sometimes, but no leaks.

Shayna

Exalted member
Thanks everyone, and thank you @VEDA for the practical tips. He is not driving yet, and I offered to pick up more diapers today, but he declined.

Honestly, I had a sleepless night last night, so I am trying to stay awake while listening to my husband snore.