Ingrown Toenail Madness

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Violets

Lapsed Senior Member
I've had the pleasure (haha, NOT! :dull:) of having ingrown toenail removal 4 times... all on the big toes. One on each side of each toe, over the period of 3 months. I haven't had the full nail removed, just the wedge of nail on the offending side.

Just curious.. how many of you have had this problem? Has it been reoccuring through your whole life, or just a now and then kind of thing? Also, what did you do to cure it? What do you do to prevent them, if anything?

feisty

Distinguished member
I have only had them now and then when I wear high heel or closed toe dress shoes. I go to the salon amd they remove them pain free. I wear a lot of flip flops so I am not a person that is one to constantly get them. My ex husband was though since he was a kid and had surgery to have them removed and they never came back. Each oerson is different though. I have been told a lot has to do with the shoes you wear.

Violets

Lapsed Senior Member
Soak your foot in hot water with epson salt and cut it with a sterile razor blade. You do this and it will prevent you from going to the doctor.

I do the epsom salt soaks already - but I appreciate the suggestion. They are one of the best things you can do for an ingrown, as far as home care goes (this is considering you already have a rager going, like I did!). The razor blade thing sounds scary.. I really hate cutting anything but my nails and hair lol! Luckily my doctor is pretty good at getting it fixed... from the time she wipes it down for a numbing shot to the time she's done and bandaging it up, its about a 5 minute duration. She's great at what she does -- doesn't mean I like getting it done though. Who would? It sucks too, because it puts you out for a good few days. And antibiotics have to be taken, which in my experience are NOT FUN.

- - - Updated - - -

I have only had them now and then when I wear high heel or closed toe dress shoes. I go to the salon amd they remove them pain free. I wear a lot of flip flops so I am not a person that is one to constantly get them. My ex husband was though since he was a kid and had surgery to have them removed and they never came back. Each oerson is different though. I have been told a lot has to do with the shoes you wear.

Yes, I was told it has a lot to do with the shoes too -- and, just coming off of a cold and wet winter in Northern California, I wore boots a lot to work these past few months.. until I started getting the ingrowns.

However, you did mention the nail salon -- I got my first pedicure of the season right around the time all of these started. I am pretty certain that the lady who did my toes went cuticle-clipper happy and started digging in there a little more than she should have. I distinctly remember saying "Um, what is it that you are doing exactly?" And she said "I make nice for you." and I said "Well it doesn't feel nice." lol... and there ya go. I went back for a polish change and before I could say anything, she was back at digging into them... minus the one that was bandaged from the last ingrown. I told her to stop. She insisted on cleaning then up a little.. and voila, a few days later I get another ingrown. SO.. lesson learned, don't let that lady do my toes EVER again.

valhead

Distinguished member
I've had them on all sides of my big toes for as long as I can remember. Mine are from cutting them back too far and being fat so they never grow straight out. When I was in 8th grade I had the nail bed on one side removed when I got a really bad infection. The nail is still full but it doesn't grow way out to the side anymore. I just use cuticle nippers when I feel them starting to get into the skin. I know you're supposed to cut them straight and let them grow past the point where they grow in but mine never seem to do that. It's very satisfying to clip the nail and pull it out of the corner lol

Blue Flowers

Exalted member
Owie!!! I've only had one that I can remember and like others I just soaked in Epsom and I was good as new again. I had a friend that was ALWAYS getting her toenails removed...eeek! I can't even imagaine! Good Luck :)

Violets

Lapsed Senior Member
Owie!!! I've only had one that I can remember and like others I just soaked in Epsom and I was good as new again. I had a friend that was ALWAYS getting her toenails removed...eeek! I can't even imagaine! Good Luck :)

Thanks! So far none have returned (aaand I literally just knocked on wood :nod: lol) I had the opportunity to have them put that chemical on it once its sliced off (just the partial slice, not the full nail)... I guess this chemical (phenol?) kills the "root" that the nail grows from, so the problem never really comes back. I decided I wouldn't do it that time since its a permanent procedure... but if I ever, and I mean EVER get another one... I'm telling them to slap on the ol' phenol!!! One can only take so much, after all :)

Reigning Blood

Lapsed Senior Member
I had a chronic issue with these WAAAY back in high school. I finally had to get surgeries on both big toes. The 2nd surgery was done with a laser, it was great - super fast healing time, and permanently took care of the problem. The laser basically did the same thing that the chemical you mentioned does, it just killed the cells where they regenerate. Now both nails grow normally; those things are NOT fun at all, especially when they get infected.

LeviDenim

Distinguished member
I had a problem with it way back in my 20s and was wearing all the big brand sport shoes. I self treated as already described above in another post and it worked for a few months.
About 1999 I found a brand of called Ecco. I started wearing them and never had an ingrown problem again. It was clear that the big name sport shoe brands were bunching my toes up and creating the ingrown problem.

So I am now old school on shoes. I go to a local high end shoe/boot store. They take up to 2 hours working with me and making sure I have a shoe that never hurts or causes problems. The Ecco brand has shoes for almost any need.
They are not cheap. but they last a very long time and my feet have never felt better.

Annika

I've had a mild problem with a semi-ingrown toenail for a couple of years because of haphazardly cutting my toenails. When the problem got worse, I did a lot of reading and found that apparently the best natural method for treating an ingrown toenail is to put a cotton wedge between the skin and toenail as it's growing out. I never actually followed through with doing this method, however, because my toenail got a little better on it's own from me being really careful about how I cut my toenails and the problem toenail stopped hurting - even though it's still weirdly shaped. But for anyone who's interested, here's a couple of instructional articles. One's a WikiHow and one is an article from a scientific journal that has detailed treatment instructions in the latter part of the article.

http://m.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ingrown-Toenails

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/drp/2012/783924/

threepin

Lapsed Senior Member
I had this same problem when I was a teenager. Surgically removed 3 times. Never a problem since.
My Dr. suspected it was from footwear fitting too tight. People's feet change shape over time (fallen arches, bunions, etc), and having your foot remeasured periodically is a great idea.
I have also read that cutting the large toenail straight, instead of curved, also helps?

Roz

Renowned member
I also had this problem big time for about 5 years.
Finally got some Vitamin E oil at Whole Foods and applied it
with a Q-tip.
It softens the surrounding skin so the nail just dislodges
from the skin on it's own.
Works like magic!