• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Insurance Med Exam

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Stlgirl

Honorable member
Taking a life insurance med exam soon. I use Phentermine w/o an Rx and I'm concerned about it showing up. Does anyone have advice? Detox processes/products? I also take 2 Sudafed a day for allergies, which I have a prescription for. Will they show up separately? Any help would be so appreciated!

Synergistic

Arrogant fact-checker
Phentermine will likely give a false positive for amphetamines. Sudafed definitely can. However phen can also give a false positive for MDMA too so just telling them you're on Sudafed may not work. If you have a couple of weeks and can do a fast taper that would probably be best, it might get nasty if you just stop taking it cold turkey.

Stlgirl

Honorable member
@Synergistic I have a week at most. I take between 1-3/day depending on what I’m doing. If I got down to half a pill, do you think that would be low enough to hide it with the Sudafed? I know I can go a few days without it and be fine. I’ve never heard of the false MDMA positive. I wasn’t expecting that! 😕

Stlgirl

Honorable member
@LittleDabbie

My concern came from when I Googled “life insurance medical exam” and most of the results stated that they do a recreational drug test. I wish I could find out somehow beforehand. If I ask the nurse, I’m sure that’d be a red flag or something.

Synecdoche

Exalted member
They are getting sneaky with this stuff. Just a routine visit at my GP, which they always previously had me pee in a cup, which USED to be just a dip stick for blood sugar.

Last time, he started yelling at me for nicotine, calling me an idiot for smoking. I had been vaping, but they definitely checked for recreational things, and nicotine, and this was just routine checkup. I think both insurance, and big brother, are pushing this invasive stuff. HIPPA my a$$.

Sorry @Stlgirl, not trying to worry you, but if, and only if they do Gas Chromatography, there is no hiding anything. The only way around those is abstinence, and obviously you can’t call and ask.

jaders

Exalted member
@LittleDabbie

My concern came from when I Googled “life insurance medical exam” and most of the results stated that they do a recreational drug test. I wish I could find out somehow beforehand. If I ask the nurse, I’m sure that’d be a red flag or something.

I certainly don’t think it would be out of line to inquire about what all the exam entails? You don’t have to ask specific questions that lean towards your intent, but asking how “comprehensive” this exam is and what all it covers - that seems very reasonable and legit to me. Anyone could have all sorts of concerns such as mental health issues or past domestic violence issues that one might be worried about disclosing in a physical exam. 🤔

I wouldn’t hesitate to ask something, myself.

Ever since this opioid crisis the amount of suspicion and moral judgment by providers that now seems injected into healthcare is really abominable. 🤬

Stlgirl

Honorable member
With that daunting (but gratefully honest) information 😰…does anyone know of a cleansing process or a product that would work by this Wednesday? I won’t be able to quit the phen by then but I can get down to probably 1/2 tab per day by then. I’ve had 2 cigarettes this week and won’t have any more until after the exam. All help would be appreciated 🙏🏻😰

Stlgirl

Honorable member
@jaders

I did notice they ask about anxiety/depression. That seems a little invasive to me. I am prescribed benzo anxiety meds, so I’ll have to tell them about that. At least I have an Rx for it though.

I agree about the moral judgment. It’s total BS. Im going to check Amazon for a cleansing product. Hopefully it will work lol. 🤞🏻

edouard

@LittleDabbie

No. I was told about tobacco, but I was just assuming they tested for other substances. That makes me feel a bit better lol! I did have 2 cigarettes last week. I don’t smoke often, so I’m hoping that doesn’t show up.
I would be doubtful about them testing for nicotine in the system. In any case, you use it so infrequently and it's out of the system fairly quickly, it doesn't seem like any real worry.
I DO smoke and a long time ago, in almost another lifetime, when I've lied about it to the company health plan person (on the phone line), they just took me at my word.
My only (small) qualm is that made me, I guess, a little bit of a "free rider":sneaky:

TSIF

That Snail Is Fast
I had to pee in a cup for a family member selling life insurance and will never do that again @Stlgirl but I am just saying for me not you.

edouard

They are getting sneaky with this stuff. Just a routine visit at my GP, which they always previously had me pee in a cup, which USED to be just a dip stick for blood sugar.

Last time, he started yelling at me for nicotine, calling me an idiot for smoking. I had been vaping, but they definitely checked for recreational things, and nicotine, and this was just routine checkup. I think both insurance, and big brother, are pushing this invasive stuff. HIPPA my a$$.

Sorry @Stlgirl, not trying to worry you, but if, and only if they do Gas Chromatography, there is no hiding anything. The only way around those is abstinence, and obviously you can’t call and ask.
@Synecdoche
They tested for nicotine? I just saw this and commented below how I didn't think they'd actually check that.
When I had to take a p-test, they were only looking for street drugs (or that's what I understood) and They didn't challenge me on nicotine - I did smoke at the time, though not too much, but denied it. No one called me on THAT.
Wow, the times have changed FAST. My check was in 2009. :cry:

Synecdoche

Exalted member
@edouard
Took me for a surprise too! I always had to pee in a cup, at my annual physical. I asked why, when they first started, about 20 years ago, and they said “just checking for routine sugar.” I just assumed that was what it continued to be, until my last physical. They screened for nicotine, without my permission, and who knows what else.

Long story, but if they did find anything else, the doctor would have killed it. But he did scream at me, in a sort of nice way, about the nicotine, which was how I knew it was much more invasive than it was supposed to be!

edouard

@edouard
Took me for a surprise too! I always had to pee in a cup, at my annual physical. I asked why, when they first started, about 20 years ago, and they said “just checking for routine sugar.” I just assumed that was what it continued to be, until my last physical. They screened for nicotine, without my permission, and who knows what else.

Long story, but if they did find anything else, the doctor would have killed it. But he did scream at me, in a sort of nice way, about the nicotine, which was how I knew it was much more invasive than it was supposed to be!
Big Brother is watching you; Big Brother is also giving you a full forensic probe! SMH:eek:

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks