• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Less sedating Long-acting Benzodiazepine; to replace Diazepam.?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

redgoat

Hey.
I'm currently on 20mg/d of Diazepam. That's the amount I need to get my anxiety well under control and to prevent CPTSD meltdowns. Any less and I find I'm not fully covered.

However, that amount of Diazepam is making me so damn sleepy as it's not a small amount. I spend 3/4 of the time asleep currently. (Which has been great for recovering physically from a long-term injury, and I feel very rested for once)
But I feel a bit groggy all day long from the Diaz. Coffee is a temporary fix. Modafinil works but only for 4 hours. Appears nothing will alleviate my sleepyness from the Diaz. I've been on it for about almost 2 weeks now. Switched over from an equivalent dose of Lorazepam (which has very little sedating effects)

I am in no mood to taper. So my options are; a) add a stimulant (bad idea for me as they give me anxiety)
b) switch benzo.

I've tried most benzos... and Diazepam is the only one that truly works. It removes my anxiety and it also soothes my nervous system; re: PTSD. It also relaxes my muscles re; PTSD.
However, it is too sedating.
So I'd like to mix my benzos. I'd like to take 50% Diaz for the above benefits and 50% a similar long-acting benzo that's less sedating.
Does this sound like a bad idea? I'm concerned the difference in half-lives could lead to trouble somehow regarding tolerance/dependence levels.

As for which benzo.... I'm thinking of substituting 50% Diaz for 50% Bromazepam. Or maybe clonazepam.... though I find that stuff too strong and not soothing. Nitrazepam sounds like a more sedating Diazepam from what I've read so that's not the one either I don't think.
I think bromazepam is my best option.
Are there any I'm not thinking of?
I really want a less sedating Diazepam equivalent.

Last edited:

LittleDabbie

Bromazepam or Clonazepam for me are less sedating but if i take enough i'll still be sleepy, Valium for me is what i crave when i need a good nights sleep/cpl nights lol

Surprised your still getting those effects 2 weeks later tho, Good luck I would def lean toward trying clonazepam first its just an all around better benzo then bromazepam imho.

Synecdoche

Exalted member
@redgoat
Whatever you decide, stay away from alpraz. You don’t want to go there. It works, but it’s like going on a blind date with a succubus. Honestly, it is everything that you want to avoid, including an extremely short half life. I hope you find a solution.

danis

Eminent member
Rivotril, Klonopin...aka clonazepam...

@Synecdoche Should I have known that before I bit "the apple" (forbidden fruit). But I'm slowly downgrading it with diazepam (and clon in near future).

But there's something I always wanted to ask you guys (sorry if hijacking your thread) - how are your reflexes on these meds? I've noticed exactly the opposite, my are sometimes so strangely fast (when on) that some of my coworkers were simply shocked the things I've caught or grabbed or prevented from falling...:unsure:. Frankly, my reflexes were always very fast, but that fast on meds that should supposedly slow them down at least a bit?!? Proprioception???

I sleep without any of the benzos...About nitrazepam, used it only for a short period of time and it did not sedate or made me sleepy at all...I actually rarely felt "stoned", sleepy or mentally / physically impaired...But my eloquence increases :LOL:

Last edited:

redgoat

I am more clumsy on them I think.. but I'm so relaxed that I can be strangely quick to react as I am very in the moment as I'm not distracted by anxiety.

I liked clonazepam but it felt like it was messing with my head too much. I was slurring my words off 0.5mg.
I save alprazolam for panic attacks / or bad trips. (not that I trip currently).
I'm aware how bad that benzo is so I do avoid it.

Bromazepam felt very similar to diaz. Less sedating. from memory. I think that'll be my pick..
Wish I could try some of these RC benzos.

redgoat

@LittleDabbie I will get both to test out which one is the best fit.
I was planning on riding out the sedative effects as I remember they are the effects that you get a tolerance to the fastest.
However I am so tired all the time still lol. It's been a really sleepy fortnight.

edouard

Bromazepam or Clonazepam for me are less sedating but if i take enough i'll still be sleepy, Valium for me is what i crave when i need a good nights sleep/cpl nights lol

Surprised your still getting those effects 2 weeks later tho, Good luck I would def lean toward trying clonazepam first its just an all around better benzo then bromazepam imho.
It's going to vary from person to person. I couldn't dare to recommend one or the other, but - from what others have reported to me (anecdotes, all), clonaz might be worth it to experiment with (splitting pills at first? dunno . . . ) in that particular predicament.
Please take this with a pinch of salt. If you have any access to a discreet doc, get advice. We're all different and you can't be too careful.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks