Looking for a new set of books to read please help!

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Riggles

Lapsed Senior Member
@Riggles! I am halfway into the second book in the Mistborn series. I am really enjoying it.

OK I've enjoyed:

Favorite all time: The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King (must read this)

The Bone Clocks (david mitchell)
Rushed series
Wayward Pines Trilogy
Orphan Trilogy
The Infernal Devices

I am so happy you started this thread! I am always looking for books and I love series since I go through them so quickly.

Yes Mistborn is awesome and check out his other books too they're good stuff like Elantris. I loved the dark tower as well I was buying them as they came out freaking great series. I've read some of his other stuff i'm not really that into it other than the dark tower series it deviated so much from what he usually writes it was I feel his masterpiece. I read the bone clocks, the orphan trilogy and the infernal devices and liked all of them. If I may suggest some myself, The magicians series by Lev Grossman, or if you are into mythological fantasy for adults there is a series by John C. Wright called the chronicles of chaos that was pretty phenomonal. Its like percy jackson but better with higher concepts that a younger reader might not get. There's tons more I just finished that first trilogy and just got done rereading the chronicles of chaos. Just thought I'd throw a few in myself I read anywhere from 6 to 10 books at a time on all subjects not just novels so I am always hungry for more lol. I'm going back into some classics like war and peace and Moby Dick just because I think those are the only two very popular classics I haven't read. BTW, Thanks for the great responses guys I appreciate it and its always nice to find other readers out there considering how rare its getting now lol. I met a girl the other day who is 27 and said she has never read a full book since she was a kid. My jaw hit the floor I couldn't believe it. The funny part was we were in barnes and noble!

Riggles

Lapsed Senior Member
If you are a sci-fi fan you may have allready read all of Asimov's books, but there are quite a few of them. I'm currently really enjoying "The Stars Like Dust" which is great. It's also not that long (less than 200 pages), which may or may not be a good thing depending on how much spare time you have. :)

I dont have enough time but somehow I manage. I guess I'm just a fast reader. Give me 1000 pages or 200 as long as its good, I will check it out as I just finished reading every single book in my physical copy library (which is about 700 books) Time for a yard sale! lol. Ill check it out asimov always writes good stuff. you should check out william gibson if you havent already his stuff is decent. Then of course if you want some pulp sci fi thats basically just crazy amounts of war and bloodshed, theres always the horus heresy I think its up to book 30 something but thats not including novellas, short stories and audiobooks lol. Its fun to read them as a light read and that universe has a lot of history because it originated as a tabletop game.

lesmiserables

Lapsed Senior Member
Yeah I'm open to just about anything now I just primarily have been reading SciFi/Fantasy for a while but im getting into philosophy and some other just good novels. As long as it isn't a romance book with a half naked bodybuilder on the front, I'll give it a read lol.

I hope I am not repeating myself. I can't remember if I've already recommended books to you or not! Lol

Anything written by BLAKE CROUCH is a winner. Not even kidding. He's so awesome you will want to read his entire collection and be left thirsting for more until his new book comes out next year. Try his Wayward Pines Trilogy first. You will never be the same.

Also, I'm a HUGE Dean Koontz fan. The Odd Thomas series is very endearing.

Although Stephen King made a name for himself as a horror writer, his later-in-life stuff is phenomenal. Joyland and Mr. Mercedes just to name a couple.

syrinn

Lapsed Senior Member
@Riggles u could try the Sookie Stack house series or the Dragon Rider series Anything by John Grishom Stephen King Koontz The twilight series read awesomely IMO . lotr of course lord of the rings.. Deff in the SK series my favorite of all time is IT, read it prolly 40 times since I was 15.. 20 years ago haha.. I'll think of lots more tho lol enjoy reading I know I do ��

- - - Updated - - -

Ohh yes the ODD Thomas are excelant omg!!!

PinkieToes

Lapsed Senior Member
Yes Mistborn is awesome and check out his other books too they're good stuff like Elantris. I loved the dark tower as well I was buying them as they came out freaking great series. I've read some of his other stuff i'm not really that into it other than the dark tower series it deviated so much from what he usually writes it was I feel his masterpiece. I read the bone clocks, the orphan trilogy and the infernal devices and liked all of them. If I may suggest some myself, The magicians series by Lev Grossman, or if you are into mythological fantasy for adults there is a series by John C. Wright called the chronicles of chaos that was pretty phenomonal. Its like percy jackson but better with higher concepts that a younger reader might not get. There's tons more I just finished that first trilogy and just got done rereading the chronicles of chaos. Just thought I'd throw a few in myself I read anywhere from 6 to 10 books at a time on all subjects not just novels so I am always hungry for more lol. I'm going back into some classics like war and peace and Moby Dick just because I think those are the only two very popular classics I haven't read. BTW, Thanks for the great responses guys I appreciate it and its always nice to find other readers out there considering how rare its getting now lol. I met a girl the other day who is 27 and said she has never read a full book since she was a kid. My jaw hit the floor I couldn't believe it. The funny part was we were in barnes and noble!

Thank you for the suggestions! I wrote those down and am now deciding which to start with. I too love to read and have since I was a kid. I agree that Dark Tower is Kings masterpiece. But "The Stand" is right up there too! :)

calgal99

Eminent member
@Riggles, I second @DulyNoted's recommendation about Neil Gaiman; although some of his works tends towards the "creep me out" zone, he does includes a lot of subtle humor in his books. And that leads to (the unfortunately late) Sir Terry Pratchett, who created the "Discworld" and I have never found anyone who didn't enjoy his books, although many need to be read in sequence to really get the humor. And finally, F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series, which has a weird history (it all started with the final book in the series, which he rewrote just a couple of years ago to close the loop on the books that were generated by that 1st book.) Repairman Jack is a bit more "horror" than true sci-fi, but I generally hate horror novels, and was captivated by the world created by Wilson. YMMV, of course. Gaiman, Pratchett and Wilson all have a number of books in their oeuvre, so if you are captivated by the first read, there are quite a lot of others left to go.

Jubba

Dune has already been mentioned and is always a fantastic series. But another one is The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony. It's about Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Evil, and Good one book for each. How each one is a mortal selected to become the next incarnation of each one of these and their execution of the "office".

Gramma

Honorable member
Hi @Riggles ... oh my, I love this post's topic! There is absolutely nothing better than finding a series and burying myself in my books :lovedup: Now that is seventh heaven!

Anyways, I was going to suggest Dean Kootz - @lesmiserables beat me to it ;) Another great author is Robin Cook - my word, some of his books are utterly amazing. He was a medical doctor in his previous career and he brings that into his writing.

One tip I wanted to offer you fellow book lovers, if you haven't already discovered this gem: I discovered that you can buy a box (a huge box!) of books by a particular author (or subject, etc) on ebay for really, really cheap! Since I go through books so fast, it was heaven sent that I discovered that I could buy multitudes of books and now I always have a box handy ;)

Everyzig

Lapsed Senior Member
Ok just making this post because I haven't seen my favorite series listed and I'm a huge fan of the same genres...

For an entertaining series of series (fantasy) check out Raymond Feist's riftwar... is fairly light reading (compared to say, more literary authors) but the author admits that straight up.. I'm honestly really hoping for a TV series because the plot pace and adrenaline is really that good. Pluses are good combat and military, some good cultural and political stuff, and that there are enough books.

For Sci fi I will recommend an equally non literary fare. Glasshouse by Charles Stross. His book accelerando is fantastic if you can stomach the light speed pace and stream of consciousness style, and while not the best written book ever, is lauded for being one of the most groundbreaking singularity books written.

Of course if you haven't read Dune series it is mandatory. If you have or can't stomach dune's writing style at the moment, Gibsons "Sprawl" trilogy (starting with neuromancer) is mandatory. . Neuromancer if you haven't read, won all 3 Sci fi awards and went on to inspire the matrix and highly arguably some portion of Internet culture.

Hth and looking forward to reading all yalls recommendations !

notcharlotte

Exalted member
i'm a big fan of stross's the laundry files series, @Everyzig, but his other stuff, not so much. his ideas are interesting but the style often gets in the way. and i don't see the appeal of the merchant series either.

stross writes about a government spy fighting lovecraftian horrors. i had to go back and read some lovecraft to keep up. if anyone's interested, stross posted some free stories about bob the spy on his wikipedia page.

88jymbo

Banned
I really like Robert A. Heinlein, they recently made All You Zombies (not anything to do with zombies) into a movie called predestination that was really good. Crazy tripped out time travel stuff with its roots and paradoxes in real science and physics, it is very impressive.

drama84

For the ladies. Try fire jumpers. It's about guys that jump into wooded areas to fight fires but it's about love to. Its made for the more feminine crowd but men can enjoy it since it's a good novel. I'm not sure the second books name in the series.

tonyexpress

Lapsed Senior Member
The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is definitely a time consuming good read (8 books I think, total). Historical fiction with time travel/sci-fi/fantasy. Sounds like an odd combination, but they are really hard to put down. Haven't seen the program on Starz though.

RobertThomas

Banned
Have been a long time fan of Jeffery Archer. For espionage kind of books Frederick Forsythe books are just awesome. Ken Follet is again someone I like. Guess I am more hooked on to the WWII and cold war stories. lol

athletic98034

Lapsed Senior Member
@Riggles I am a huge fantasy fiction reader and have read most of the popular authors so feel free to ask questions regarding all of them. I don't do much sci-fi though. Not sure if you have read the new mistborn series, but give it a crack. Set in a western theme. It's trendy, but George RR Martin should be a required read. I strongly suggest Joe Abercrombie. He is on the cutting edge of modern fantasy. Start with the Blade Itself. Other authors that are must reads are Anythony Ryan, Mark Lawrence, Brent Weeks & Scott Lynch.

Missmolly

Banned