• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

modafinil

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Crawlin

Honorable member
I definitely find lower doses to be more effective. A full dose will actually have the opposite effect, and make me groggy/foggy and irritable. Usually making me want to just lay down and close my eyes earlier in the day than usual. I remember reading, that the way it builds up in the body overtime, increases the active amount. Much like anything else. Has to do with the half lives of active compounds.

I believe it was something like 5 days of taking the same dose everyday, you are actually at 3-4 times that daily dosage, on day 5. I'm trying to find where I read that figure. The finils also effects histamine levels. It's one of their main modes of action. A little histamine is good, but too much histamine leads to the negative effects. Another reason to keep dosage as low as possible.

Once I start feeling negative effects. Say if I fall off my regimen, and start taking more than what is effective for me. Expecting better results, which is just wrong for me to do. But, it happens sometimes. I'm trying to stay more on top of being regular with my usage, and stick to just quarter of a tablet each day at this point. Then I'll do a quick washout period of 2-3 days, which should remove most of either finil from your system. The average half-life is about 13 hours, so that's roughly 2.7 full days without, and you should be back to baseline as far as either modafinil or armodafinil go.

I'm just coming out of such a washout period. I did not take any since Friday around noon. And, took a small piece(less than a quarter), at about 11am today. The effects are far better today, than they were the end of last week. Like anything, it takes some time and experimenting, to find the perfect dose for your own personal chemistry.

gsg909

Lapsed Senior Member
does anyone find modafinil addictive? still trying to convince a doctor here to prescribe it here in the US for my adhd but some say it is addictive (it hasn't been for me, I just revert back to my old self but don't get withdrawal symptoms). now it would be cheaper to buy here with goodrx and not risk things getting lost or taken in mail, really wish doctors here weren't so difficult.

rhodes23

does anyone find modafinil addictive? still trying to convince a doctor here to prescribe it here in the US for my adhd but some say it is addictive (it hasn't been for me, I just revert back to my old self but don't get withdrawal symptoms). now it would be cheaper to buy here with goodrx and not risk things getting lost or taken in mail, really wish doctors here weren't so difficult.

It doesn't seem to be physically addictive like tramodol and other opiods.
But I can certainly imagine it could be psychologically or emotionally addictive.
In other words you wouldn't likely suffer physical withdrawal symptons
but could suffer a depressive period following extended use.

I found it helpful coming off of tramodol. It gives me mental energy and that "get up and go" feeling needed to get things done. I find that half a tab, even a quarter, to work quite well and also try to avoid using it everyday.

TheDeadlySidekick

Honorable member
I tried it several years ago. I didn't have a good reaction to it. My body and mind never react well to anything that speeds me up.
I was trying to achieve the focus that many talk about. Unfortunately , all I got was some very uncomfortable speed like reactions.
I have wondered if the product was bad quality and have always wanted to give it another try.
I probably need to stay with the smallest dose possible and go from there.

Crawlin

Honorable member
I tried it several years ago. I didn't have a good reaction to it. My body and mind never react well to anything that speeds me up.
I was trying to achieve the focus that many talk about. Unfortunately , all I got was some very uncomfortable speed like reactions.
I have wondered if the product was bad quality and have always wanted to give it another try.
I probably need to stay with the smallest dose possible and go from there.
Yeah, even a quarter of a tablet can work for folks who are sensitive. I have ADHD. I've cycled the finils off and on, but not for a while. While they do help with many things. Feeling awake, motivated, productive, best antidepressant effect I've ever experienced, etc. I just cannot sleep on the stuff. If they made something like Armodafinil, where I could sleep at a normal hour, that would be perfect...

Stimulants make me feel very "zen", so I have the opposite reaction to you. But, for some reason with the mode of action, with the finil family of compounds. I can feel completely exhausted, but sleep never comes. Or it does hours later, and is never restful. So burnout sets in within a week or two, and then I'm taking it just to be somewhat baseline.

For now, the negatives outweigh the positives. It can be really tricky to dial in, and not worth it, especially if you need solid sleep and already have trouble sleeping.

redgoat

Wow, I didn't expect to find such an anti-modafinil consensus here. Good information to know, thanks all for sharing.
I too need something to wake me up and focus - but I have severe anxiety so stimulants typically make that much worse.
I was hoping modafinil might've been this ideal med... but it sounds like it is not.

Crawlin

Honorable member
Wow, I didn't expect to find such an anti-modafinil consensus here. Good information to know, thanks all for sharing.
I too need something to wake me up and focus - but I have severe anxiety so stimulants typically make that much worse.
I was hoping modafinil might've been this ideal med... but it sounds like it is not.
It really comes down to your personal chemistry. It could work wonders for you, or it may not. As with anything else we put into our bodies.

I think the finil family of compounds has their place. For me personally, I just wish that the effects lasted a much shorter amount of time. Maybe if the half life for armodafinil was about 8 hours, rather than 15. Then I could get a good night of sleep, and continue with it the next day. It's tricky to know what will work for you personally, until you test yourself.

For now I keep it to a quarter of a tablet, and only on days where I am very under slept. Starting off tired, I can usually sleep no problems that following night.

redgoat

@Crawlin

Thanks. I guess there really is only one way to find out. It's been on my list for such a long time that I should just give it a go I think.
15 hours eh? that is quite long for a stimulant. Is modafinil similar in terms of half life?

If it was an all day coffee in terms of focus - but let me sleep at night it'd be perfect I think. I'd like something I could take almost everyday though (but perhaps it's better to rotate stims or have 2 days off a week minimum or something..)

Crawlin

Honorable member
@redgoat - That's what I do. I rotate between a couple fluorinated amphetamines(one is very similar to Vyvanse in effect). Methylphenidate(Ritalin), and a couple other very closely related compounds(based off of methylphenidate), and then the finils. Mostly try to stick to Ritalin, but having to take it every few hours can be a rollercoaster. Sometimes I'll take Ritalin, alongside a weaker phenidate, but which lasts longer.

I try my best to take a day off here and there. I'm pretty much a daily user of some type of stimulant during the winter though. Between ADHD, and depression symptoms which become major during the Winter, especially mid January through mid March. But, I will force myself to break once a month at least for a couple days. Daily exercise alongside it, helps a ton as well, if physically able.

Modafinil is shorter in duration. I think one isomer has a half life of about 4-6 hours, and the other one is about 12 hours? I'd have to look it up to know for sure. Armodafinil is the longer lasting of the two. Someone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Modafinil is a little bit "warmer" I guess you could say, where Armodafinil feels "Cleaner". It's worth doing your research beforehand. I ordered modafinil, and received a free sample of armodafinil, and found it worked better, so I ordered that as well.

I've yet to actually test modafinil everyday long term, now that I think about it. So it's possible, that sleep gets better over time with it. When I first tried them years ago, I remember it keeping me up like the armodafinil, but able to get to sleep real late at night. I'm actually making a switch to the finils for a week or two, to clear all the other stuff out of my system. So I'll test out quarter to half a tab of the modafinil each day, and see how it goes. I'm especially tired/depressed during January/February, so maybe I'll be able to sleep better. Armodafinil is the best antidepressant I've ever experienced, if I haven't mentioned that yet.

The few days making the transition can be a bit tough. I just ease into it with small amounts, while lessoning the intake of the other. Then after a few days, I'm back to fully functioning. I can function the few days during the transition, but depression and adhd symptoms worsen a bit. I do all of this to try and keep my tolerance low as I can across the board. It keeps everything effective, as my body does not get used to one thing day after day for months on end. There seems to be no cross tolerance, at least for me. Feel free to PM me anytime if you are looking for a source. I can point you towards the place I ordered from both times. They came through just fine, and are pretty cheap in pricing.

rhodes23

@Crawlin
I also had trouble with sleep after a full tab of moda or armo
So I reduced to using half tab and now down to a quarter.
No more sleep issues at this level but I still get a nice perk lasting the whole day.
Using 4 or 5 times a week now and starting to notice tiredness and slight depression
on the days I don't take it

Crawlin

Honorable member
That sounds about right @rhodes23, you'll be tired, and depression comes back (if you deal with that), for a few days after stopping. Not as bad as some harder stims, but it's still something to consider. There is no biological free lunch, unfortunately.

Mrob1982

I purchased some modafinil a while back on ebay (the auction got cancelled but they still sent it). Gutted though as there was a contraindication with another medication I'm on so I couldn't try it and had to return! Is there any other drug that is similar to this which improves clarity of thought but is metabolised by the body slightly differently?

Crawlin

Honorable member
There are pro drugs to modafinil. But, they will have the same contraindication, I would think. As they metabolize into Modafinil, and then further into it's metabolites. There are the obvious ones like Ritalin, Adderall, and then similarly structured compounds in the same family as those two(I'm currently waiting to research 4f-mph). Then of course there is the option of small doses of caffeine. If I have any caffeine, I sip an energy drink, and have half of a can throughout the day. If I have too much at once, it will make me jittery and more easily distracted. The crash of caffeine is brutal for me as well, so it's slow and steady for me with that.

If you want to try a long acting supplement to help boost dopamine in your system a bit more naturally. I take VitaMonk's "Dopify" here and there(alongside Ritalin), and it really helps clear out my head and improve my mood. It is a nice mix of building blocks for dopamine, and help it do it's thing. It seems to allow the Ritalin to last longer in my system. Or, at the very least I do not feel the crashes between doses as hard(leading me to giving it more time in between each dose). If you try it out, I recommend testing out one capsule first, before the recommended serving size of two. Some folks are more sensitive, than others. One works just fine for me. Two can make me a little anxious, and keep me up later. Something to keep in mind, if you also fight insomnia.

EDIT: And, how could I forget Kratom. This one takes some experimentation to figure out dose, and strains that work best for you. There is a strain/type for any occasion, but some will be better for increasing your energy, and clearing your mind. My best advice after using kratom for about 12 years... find your sweet spot that works best for you, and stick there. As far as level of dosage, and how often you use it. If you rotate strains at that dose level, your tolerance should hardly go up over years. Regular breaks help a ton with keeping tolerance down as well. I originally found it way back when, as a replacement for coffee. That was before it blew up, and got popular. Another piece of advice, stay away from the extracts. Just pure clean leaf, and lots of water. Good sources are key as well, which can take time to find. I can point you in the right direction, if you want to go that route. Feel free to PM anytime, and will get back to you when I have a free moment.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: OTM

smo1959

Honorable member
I use Moda several times a week due to fatigue and lack of focus. After reading through the posts here, I realized that some of the negative affects I have experience are probably due to dosage. I have routinely taken 200mg. I cut back to 100mg and now feel alert without anxiety. I don't know why I never tried a lower dose....just didn't know. Anyway, I feel like it is much more beneficial. I still feel alert but not jittery or anxious. It does interfere with sleep unless I take it very early in the morning - explained by the half life, of course. As with all medications, the lowest effective dose is best. I don't take it every day because the sleeplessness tends to worsen with daily use. All things said, it really helps me stay focused on my work and keeps me from getting sleepy while driving - I travel quite often.

Crawlin

Honorable member
Very well put. You explained it to a "T" @smo1959 . After a week of daily use, I'm fried from losing sleep all week. I use it in quarter to half doses about a few days every two to three weeks, these days. I really wish the duration was shorter. It would be perfect if it lasted 10-12 hours, then back to mostly baseline.

I get this weird feeling when I transition off of it, that my brain is itchy. I figure it's something to do with its effects on histamine.

redgoat

Where to buy modafinil from?

Every link I get recommended seems to have bad reviews and comes across very sketchy.

otherone

It works well in certain situations when you are unable to sleep regularly but still need to perform and function. Long term use would be unhealthy.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks