• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Obsessed with Game of Thrones

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

veri

Lapsed Senior Member
really hoping people will reply..just reread the whole series (first four book) for the third time...will read the fifth book when i can get it for less than the 31 dollars ....

Gambit979

Lapsed Senior Member
This series has been on my to-do list ever since the HBO series, I've heard it's outstanding. I'm afraid I'm going to have to hold off on participating in this thread though as I don't want to come across any spoilers.

veri

Lapsed Senior Member
i havent been obsessed with a series like this since lord of the rings and that was sooo many years ago i figured the obsession thing had to do with my youth. I love the way the book is written asynchronously (its not in chronological oder, the chapters overlap)...

sambob

Banned
@veri you should be able to get the 5th book on Amazon for around $18. I just finished the 4th book and decided to take a break, but last I checked it was around that price. I was very upset that there was no Dany in Feast of Crows, can't wait to hear from her in book 5! Another good webiste for cheap books is half price books Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc., ...Actually might be cheaper than Amazon...

Last edited:

veri

Lapsed Senior Member
lucky lucky me....my daughter ordered the book on amazon -didnt recieve it- so they resent the order and ...tada the first one also came, they said keep it, so i just have to wait for her to visit in a few days and then desperately try not to spend every waking hour reading it!

chopstix

Lapsed Senior Member
i just started watching the hbo series last night lol..
the most memorable line was something along the lines of..
i'd let his whole army of 40,000 **** you if it meant us getting back home

sure i butchered the hell out of the actual quote but you get the gist..sick show!

cara

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm hooked on these books. I watched the TV series and after a couple of episodes I decided I had to read the books. I've read the first three and now embarking on #4 with #5 on its way from Amazon.

sambob

Banned
@cara first three very good, a lot of key characters are missing from 4 but from what I hear they return in 5. I"m taking a break since I know that it will be take ole George forever to produce another book if he is even capable of living that long....

cara

Lapsed Senior Member
Without wishing to ruin it for people who haven't read the series - one thing I like about the books is that nobody, even the most major and beloved characters, is safe from sudden death!

One consequence of the way its written is that there are particular characters I especially like (like Daenerys) so its hard to resist the temptation to read ahead to find the chapters from their POV.

sambob

Banned
@cara yeah I'm looking forward to 5 because she's back, i was very disappointed that there was nothing from Dany in 4.....You're right he don't give a f..., he kills whoever the hell he wants, nobody is safe. What do you think, will he finish the series?

cara

Lapsed Senior Member
@cara yeah I'm looking forward to 5 because she's back, i was very disappointed that there was nothing from Dany in 4.....You're right he don't give a f..., he kills whoever the hell he wants, nobody is safe. What do you think, will he finish the series?

I am sad to hear Dany isn't in #4 :(

How many are there supposed to be in the series when finished?

islode

Lapsed Senior Member
He keeps changing it. With writers like him I like to wait to near completion but this was suppose to be I believe 3 works. He is just hamimg it up now so I will jump in and be mad with the rest.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 3 minutes after the last post:*

I love the way the targyens (sp) look. Hbo has a style_ when it works it works. I miss john from cinn, deadwood, and I know they did not prod but Rome was perfection

Last edited:

cara

Lapsed Senior Member
Well now I have read 1-4 and halfway through 5. 1-3 are excellent but 4 is a terrible disappointment with 5 not a lot better than 4 so far. I can't believe he chose to split the characters in the way he did between 4 and 5 and then proceed to write 2000+ pages where very little happens. If I had been waiting a decade for these books I'd be pretty annoyed.

cara

Lapsed Senior Member
I finally finished #5 and it took an effort of will to do it. It was marginally better than #4 but both of these books are very much poorer than the first three.

The main problem with the last two is that the plot slows to a glacial and often extremely boring pace. You have twice as many POV characters, most of whom are entirely unnecessary and dull, but about 1/4 the pace so about 1/8th as much happens. There are endless descriptions of boring food and heraldry trivia and whole swathes of description of travel that just goes on and on. Plus many of the attractive main characters seem to have regressed in particular both Daenerys and the Imp become trite and boring.

Then there is the increasing tendency of the author to revel in depressing scenes of execution, torture, mutilation and sexual violence. And what is it with his obsession with barely pubescent child brides aged 11-14? It's got to the stage when I am almost relieved when a new female character is revealed to be 16!

Nickel

Eminent member
I just turned my girlfriend onto this series. She usually sticks to straight lit stuff but she is hooked 100 pages into book 1.

I'm reading Dancing with Dragons. Unlike cara, I find the descriptions and new areas and minutiae and morbid obsession with the cruelties of this world and lack of sexual political correctness as fascinating as ever. I like Martin because he has such a steady hand on the rudder. He rarely shifts tone, which in series this huge is saying a lot. I think he did mean it to be three volumes but, knowing his old, now deceased, agent, probably got pressured into, as @islode said, hamming it up. I think of everything after book 3 like an expansion on a video game... same world, just new missions. Still, he is heading somewhere if he lives long enough to get there.

depthoffield

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm 300 pages into the first book and I've been so for awhile even though it's really good. I think I'm not reading it like the page-turner it is because I'm using a speeding ticket as a bookmark. Probably should change that... Lol.

islode

Lapsed Senior Member
I love the way u two have worded ur reviews. @cara n @chemicalchart
I think I would like to book on tape it, like I did harry potter, wonderful book on tape horrible read

sambob

Banned
@depthoffield, take your time, the author certainly is taking his time. I'm taking a break. I read the first 4 in about 3 months or so, finished the 4th before the 5th had come out, so I decided to take a break. The 4th was very disappointing so I am looking forward to the 5th. I just do not think he is capable of finishing the series.....

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks