• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Opiod induced constipation :) yepp totally talking about it

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

ruby2

Hi all, I am making efforts to contribute since I came back to read and use the info others post. I know this is not a fun topic to discuss but want to give this a try :).

Those of us taking pain meds are very likely experiencing constipation symptoms. What is your experience if you are willing to share?

I ll share mine - I struggle - I do take fiber regularly and make sure to have a varied diet but my meds cause things to slow down. I have laxatives on hand as well as softeners and proboiotics. But best thing that helps me - I regularly taper down since I tend to take more as I develop tolerance - which causes worse issues. So I slowly taper to half the dose on a regular basis - that helps a little until I am back again.

What helped you stay regular? Any tricks you are willing to share? Any herbal remedies?
:)

Raspberry

Eminent member
Magnesium. I take that anyway if I remember, but I definitely remember to remember when I really need to.

marymary

I'm late to the party, but magnesium citrate every night helps. If that doesn't work, I go to Smoothe Move tea and if all else fails, Milk of Magnesia has never let me down. I don't wait too long. Longer than 36 hours without a number two and I am going to intervene.

dinger

Honorable member
I have been on buprenorphine for 10 years now. I count myself lucky that not once i have had this problem!!
I am not sure if its down to the nature of buprenorphine!! As i am sure some were over the years i have read this
Online....Yip every other opioid i have been on i have Experience this nasty side -effect.. I used ( Dulcolax)...

notcharlotte

Exalted member
i'm a big fan of miralax. yes, i know it's supposed to be a nasty chemical, but i take it twice a week and it works wonderfully. my doc gave me a sample of a med specifically designed for opioid induced constipation, movantik. however, it's an opioid antagonist and has occasionally put patients in wds. so, i never took it.

DB Dicey

Distinguished member
Metamucil was ineffective and disgusting. I had a fever of over 104 from vicodin constipation and surgeon recommended Dulcolax which worked fast but a sneaky second bowel explosion hours later ruined my leg bandages. Maybe not for regular use. Tried it one more time just because and again had the 2nd wave ruin my shorts.

McChrystals_Pistol

MiraLAX is magic in a bottle, comparitively expensive but worth every penny. No explosive diahrrea, no stomach cramps, just a nice smooth BM 8-24 hours after conumption from even the worst constipation.

Do it.

De Large

I have tried everything. Colace. Lots of fruit. Prune juice. The best thing IMO if you have OIC is epsom salt. I drink a spoonfull in water daily, only way I can keep from being backed up. That and enema. Daily for both. I hate it

calgal99

Eminent member
@De Large, when I am taking opiod meds, I make sure I have a bag of (high-quality) dried fruit (not just prunes, which are kind of ick, but also apricots, peaches, pears and apples) and make sure to eat at least one piece of fruit per 5mg of med. Note that this works best if you start doing it when you start taking the med, but in your specific case, I would try adding it to your current regimen for a few days, first. I've recommended this to quite a few people, and no one has yet told me that it does not work, fwiw.

[edit: I am a big believer in trying more natural solutions before resorting to chemical treatments, so I admit to bias in this case.]

De Large

I'm low income. So having fruit, or even keeping a moderately expensive laxative around is close to impossible. I can buy closer to expired bananas if I can get to the grocery on the right day, but most of the time, epsom salt is the cheapest way to go "for sure"

I would recommend epsom for moderate to severe constipation. I for SURE could use fruit around, but my kratom dose is high, and every fourth day I mite have a recreation day with a small dose of bupe, I've found epsom and enema are the only things keeping me from impaction.

Even when I have fruit around, uhm, I get a plug at the end of my colon for lack of a better term. I HAVE to use an enema to break up that part. I assume since I've had constipation since I was a kid that it's just pat of my anatomy or something.

jakemoe

Eminent member
I take opioids and for regularity I take 800 - 1000 mgs. of magnesium daily. I think it's okay to take twice a day if you need it, but I usually take it once daily. It will take a week or two to start accumulating in your body and for your body to start reacting to it. It's been a miracle for me. Don't take too much in one day, cos you will poo your pants in your sleep. There was a day I kept taking more, forgetting I had already taken enough! :poop:

Denise44

Lapsed Senior Member
Mirilax usually helps. Though I have been known to just use enemas.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks