Osteo-Arthritis What works for you?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Hemanne

Lapsed Senior Member
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis a few years ago and it affects me to the point if I do a days work, just around the house, I have to take two days rest to recover and am continually doing stretching exercises that don't seem to stretch anything but my patience. :) They do help some.

I started with Ibuprofen but found it intolerable. I often woke to find my breathing had almost stopped and I would have to make an effort to get it going again through the cramping at my solar plexus.

More recently Meloxicam was very effective but only for the first 6 days. I could easily work again without having to plan days for recovery. Then I threw up blood in my sleep and passed black stool for three days and had to stop that. An upside to that was a burning that had been imperceptibly intensifying for a couple years at left of stomach went with it.

Now the doc wants me to try Tramal/Tramadol, 50mg up to 6 a day. Celebrex (1x100mg pd) too if I need it, though he says all NSAIDS have the same possible side effects, af far as bleeding is concerned.

I see from searching most of these are popular here but I just wonder what works for people now. And if anyone has used Nexium/esomeprazole to mitigate against the inflammatory effects (in the stomach) of NSAIDS that cause the bleeding.

Any feedback appreciated.

I am on an erratic connection but I will be back.

RAZZEL

Lapsed Senior Member
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis a few years ago and it affects me to the point if I do a days work, just around the house, I have to take two days rest to recover and am continually doing stretching exercises that don't seem to stretch anything but my patience. :) They do help some.

I started with Ibuprofen but found it intolerable. I often woke to find my breathing had almost stopped and I would have to make an effort to get it going again through the cramping at my solar plexus.

More recently Meloxicam was very effective but only for the first 6 days. I could easily work again without having to plan days for recovery. Then I threw up blood in my sleep and passed black stool for three days and had to stop that. An upside to that was a burning that had been imperceptibly intensifying for a couple years at left of stomach went with it.

Now the doc wants me to try Tramal/Tramadol, 50mg up to 6 a day. Celebrex (1x100mg pd) too if I need it, though he says all NSAIDS have the same possible side effects, af far as bleeding is concerned.

I see from searching most of these are popular here but I just wonder what works for people now. And if anyone has used Nexium/esomeprazole to mitigate against the inflammatory effects (in the stomach) of NSAIDS that cause the bleeding.

Celebrex, codeine from Canada (222's when needed) and as much exercise that you can tolerate!. Also keeping weight down as much as possible( especially if it is in the knees).

teresita

Exalted member
I have osteo in my knees, mostly my left knee and I think it is developing in my ankles, idk. I work 12 hr shifts so that accelerated it. Nothing seems to work completely but I take tramadol and ibruprofen which you cant. I am particular though it has to be name brand advil gel caps. The brown ones especially, upset my stomach, just a queasy feeling.

Then when I wake up, Im so stiff and I take my meds. They do help but it seems nothing makes it go away and you have to learn your limitations but that it very to do when you are used to doing certtain things. I have never tried celebrex but havent heard anything negative (or positive) about it. If it works for you, let us know. Im ready for a change from tramadol, I think Im building a tolerance and need a change.

Shayna

Exalted member
FWIW, someone suggested my husband try cherry capsules for his osteoarthritis in his knee. He reluctantly tried these for a month to placate me. He didn't mention a difference in his pain level --until he ran out.

I get these either at Whole Foods or on Amazon (the brand is Solaray).

Last edited:

teresita

Exalted member
@Shayna; I just read an article in Arthritis today that praised the benefits of cherries which I do like, but they are expensive and a pain to spit out the pits so a supplement would be a great alternative that I wasnt aware of. When your husband stopped did he get worse pain and realized the cherries tabs helped? I took glucosomine for about a year & 1/2 and they definetely helped for that amount of time and now nothing. Even when I stopped taking them a few months ago, I noticed no increase in pain. It was getting worse while I was on the glucosomine so I tried the expensive version of osteo biflex and found it no different than the $5 bottles of generics. But Id be willing to try a cherry supplement.

Shayna

Exalted member
@teresita - that is exactly what happened! At first he said there was no real difference. After a few days he was not sure, but I strongly encouraged him to at least finish the bottle of capsules. Then he forgot to tell me that he finished the bottle, and I noticed that his mood changed due to his pain increasing (a wife knows these things).

Now I buy him several bottles at a time so he won't run out.

Amazon has these for about half the price of Whole Foods, but of course Whole Foods is a local store to us if we need these in a pinch.

I love cherries too, and these are a much less expensive alternative -- and my husband hates cherries so these definitely solve that problem!

Hemanne

Lapsed Senior Member
Celebrex, codeine from Canada (222's when needed) and as much exercise that you can tolerate!. Also keeping weight down as much as possible( especially if it is in the knees).

Thanks for getting back Razzel. I now have some Celebrex but won't use it for a few days yet, getting as much time between the last NSAID (Meloxicam) and the new, given the result of the last one.

Would be particularly interested in anyone's experience of Nexium as a mitigator (if that's the word) of the NSAID's tendency to inflame the stomach wall/lining.

I took some Tramal/dol today and they are very much like codeine to me and not nearly as effective as Meloxicam and more psycho/physically (feel good) active so I suspect it is a more addictive med.

I will keep posting my experience here.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 44 minutes after the last post:*

I have osteo in my knees, mostly my left knee and I think it is developing in my ankles, idk. I work 12 hr shifts so that accelerated it. Nothing seems to work completely but I take tramadol and ibruprofen which you cant. I am particular though it has to be name brand advil gel caps. The brown ones especially, upset my stomach, just a queasy feeling.

Then when I wake up, Im so stiff and I take my meds. They do help but it seems nothing makes it go away and you have to learn your limitations but that it very to do when you are used to doing certtain things. I have never tried celebrex but havent heard anything negative (or positive) about it. If it works for you, let us know. Im ready for a change from tramadol, I think Im building a tolerance and need a change.

12 hr shifts won't help, especially if you are on your feet. It shouldn't have to be so but no point going down that road.

Getting up is the hardest part for me. I can lie in bed for 14 hrs so the time I'm up isn't just another episode of pain and aching. I am lucky I don't have to work a lot.

I know what you mean about Tramadol. It feels like an opiate and I suspect withdrawals are common. I'll have to be careful of that.

I will be trying the Celebrex soon (with Nexium, 1 + 1) and will update here with details but except for the bleeding on the 6th day of Meloxicam it was great, I could work on it and enjoy the work. Apparently all NSAIDS have stomach/intestinal bleeding as a possible side effect so it might be worth your while trying Meloxicam if it's available to you. And let us know how it goes if you do?

Last edited:

RAZZEL

Lapsed Senior Member
Thanks for getting back Razzel. I now have some Celebrex but won't use it for a few days yet, getting as much time between the last NSAID (Meloxicam) and the new, given the result of the last one.

Would be particularly interested in anyone's experience of Nexium as a mitigator (if that's the word) of the NSAID's tendency to inflame the stomach wall/lining.

I took some Tramal/dol today and they are very much like codeine to me and not nearly as effective as Meloxicam and more psycho/physically (feel good) active so I suspect it is a more addictive med.

I will keep posting my experience here.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 44 minutes after the last post:*

12 hr shifts won't help, especially if you are on your feet. It shouldn't have to be so but no point going down that road.

Getting up is the hardest part for me. I can lie in bed for 14 hrs so the time I'm up isn't just another episode of pain and aching. I am lucky I don't have to work a lot.

I know what you mean about Tramadol. It feels like an opiate and I suspect withdrawals are common. I'll have to be careful of that.

I will be trying the Celebrex soon (with Nexium, 1 + 1) and will update here with details but except for the bleeding on the 6th day of Meloxicam it was great, I could work on it and enjoy the work. Apparently all NSAIDS have stomach/intestinal bleeding as a possible side effect so it might be worth your while trying Meloxicam if it's available to you. And let us know how it goes if you do?

I have a tendency to have a sensitive stomach, but have never had a problem with any distess, but taking Nexium might be worth a try. My knees are bad, and will have to face a knee-replacement this winter. I take to 2 celebrex a day.
I am not familar with Meloxicam...is it by perscription only?:)

Hemanne

Lapsed Senior Member
I have a tendency to have a sensitive stomach, but have never had a problem with any distess, but taking Nexium might be worth a try. My knees are bad, and will have to face a knee-replacement this winter. I take to 2 celebrex a day.
I am not familar with Meloxicam...is it by perscription only?:)

It is here down under, script only. And it was so good. But there's always a downside. I'll try it again as soon as I'm sure my stomach is ready, maybe it was just a localised weakness in the wall or lining and the drug precipitated a crisis that has resulted in it's healing - because the burn is gone.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 3 minutes after the last post:*

FWIW, someone suggested my husband try cherry capsules for his osteoarthritis in his knee. He reluctantly tried these for a month to placate me. He didn't mention a difference in his pain level --until he ran out.

I get these either at Whole Foods or on Amazon (the brand is Solaray).

I never heard of this before. And we can get the most lovely cherries, for around $17 a kilo.

Last edited:

cashman1

Lapsed Senior Member
I have found that topical diclofenac reduces the swelling and inflammation in my knees. You have to apply it sparingly two or three times per day. It reduces symptons not the causes. Also sounds stupid but my doctor recommended some orthotics for my shoes - shifted alot of the tension off of my knees and onto my glutes and hamstrings. These two things plus the strongest osteo biflex have cut down the amount of pain I feel by more than 50%. I really want to avoid any type of surgical option.

Hemanne

Lapsed Senior Member
I have found that topical diclofenac reduces the swelling and inflammation in my knees. You have to apply it sparingly two or three times per day. It reduces symptons not the causes. Also sounds stupid but my doctor recommended some orthotics for my shoes - shifted alot of the tension off of my knees and onto my glutes and hamstrings. These two things plus the strongest osteo biflex have cut down the amount of pain I feel by more than 50%. I really want to avoid any type of surgical option.

I don't know that one, my osteo/a is primarily in the hips and spine.

It's not a lot of experience to go on I know but of the three I have tried in the last few weeks Meloxicam is by far the most effective. Of the other two, Tramadol and Celebrex, Celebrex is effective and Tramadol is too but it's more of a buzz for me and not my first choice.

This is the 9th day of Celebrex with Nexium/esomeprazole every other day to mitigate against the possibility of bleeding and so far so good. I will try the Meloxicam again soon as it was really that powerful I could do and work as I could 5-10 years ago on it. I'll report back on that.

An aside of the Meloxicam; my neighbour, whose computer I use for this, took her big dog to the vet with conjunctivitis in one eye and was given Meloxicam for the inflamation. So even though it's a relatively new drug it's getting wide use. It's also three times more expensive than Celebrex.

File Error 500

Eminent member
I have been happy with Etodolac a powerful NSAID. However, taking this drug requires routine blood tests.

My doctor told me that in order for anti-inflammatories to be effective they need to be taken daily. The problem with this is that they can shred your stomach and cause it to bleed and damage your liver.

One way around this, is to take the NSAID for several weeks then switch to the supplement Glucosamine with MSM. And alternate going forward. Theoretically, the NSAID will reduce the inflammation and the Glucosamine will maintain the effects. Alternating between the two helps to stave off the damage to your GI and liver.

This is what I do and it has been effective for me.

H20shed65

Famous PRer

Hi,
Saw your post and thought I would add my 2 cents as it were. First, lots of good advice before my post! Exercise & stretching are excellent for osteoarthritis. Now as to meds. NSAIDS ( ibuprofen, voltaren, naproxen, etc) are first line drugs in treating this type of arthritis, but as you point out, stomach upset, ulceration and GI bleeding are nasty side effects. Celebrex , also an NSAID is unique in that it is a COX 2 inhibitor so it provides the anti-inflammatory relief like all NSAIDS but is MUCH easier on you stomach and GI tract. Using a Proton Pump Inhibitor like Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex, etc is an excellent strategy for covering stomach & GI issues while using NSAIDS. You may find that the Celebrex alone will be enough, but adding Nexium will do no harm and provide additional protection. As other posters mentioned, you can add another non-aspirin, non-NSAID pain reliever to this regimen if needed and approved by your physician such as Tramadol or any narcotic if needed to mitigate pain.

I hope you get some relief because that can be a very painful condition. I wish you well.

Hemanne

Lapsed Senior Member
I have been happy with Etodolac a powerful NSAID. However, taking this drug requires routine blood tests.

My doctor told me that in order for anti-inflammatories to be effective they need to be taken daily. The problem with this is that they can shred your stomach and cause it to bleed and damage your liver.

One way around this, is to take the NSAID for several weeks then switch to the supplement Glucosamine with MSM. And alternate going forward. Theoretically, the NSAID will reduce the inflammation and the Glucosamine will maintain the effects. Alternating between the two helps to stave off the damage to your GI and liver.

This is what I do and it has been effective for me.

I am settling in to something similar, rotating through different meds to avoid the worst of the SE's and keep the best effectiveness. I also use G + MSM.

It is at my doc's direction I don't use NSAIDS every day and when I do use them they are as effective.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 4 minutes after the last post:*

Hi,
Saw your post and thought I would add my 2 cents as it were. First, lots of good advice before my post! Exercise & stretching are excellent for osteoarthritis. Now as to meds. NSAIDS ( ibuprofen, voltaren, naproxen, etc) are first line drugs in treating this type of arthritis, but as you point out, stomach upset, ulceration and GI bleeding are nasty side effects. Celebrex , also an NSAID is unique in that it is a COX 2 inhibitor so it provides the anti-inflammatory relief like all NSAIDS but is MUCH easier on you stomach and GI tract. Using a Proton Pump Inhibitor like Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex, etc is an excellent strategy for covering stomach & GI issues while using NSAIDS. You may find that the Celebrex alone will be enough, but adding Nexium will do no harm and provide additional protection. As other posters mentioned, you can add another non-aspirin, non-NSAID pain reliever to this regimen if needed and approved by your physician such as Tramadol or any narcotic if needed to mitigate pain.

I hope you get some relief because that can be a very painful condition. I wish you well.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I do also use Tramadol but very sparingly for the nausea. I also like my time with nothing, to equalise to 'normality' and sleep a few days away.

I think it helps to remember the drugs are only masking the condition.

Last edited:

Gullible

Exalted member
I will have to try those cherry capsules. I have bone on bone in my ankle and its no fun. What works for me is to keep it wrapped with an elastic bandage, not the rubber kind but coach brand. The compression definitely helps.

What helps the most is taking glucosamine and chondroitin. I've heard from people who said they did not work and i've noticed that they either did not take enough or only took one and not the other. Taking the amount suggested on the bottle works only for very mild cases. I take 4 x triple strength tabs a day and it helps a lot. I notice if i forget, my ankle reminds me. Taking 3 only helps a little and 2 seems to do nothing. I get mine from sams club because its the cheapest. It may take a week or more to kick in.

The gl and ch are good because they do not simply block pain like a tramadol. They actually relieve the cause of the problem. I've been on them for over 10 years and my ankle has not gotten noticeably worse. Knock on wood because i'll have to get an ankle replacement one of these days so i hope it holds out until then.

Hemanne

Lapsed Senior Member
Update

I have the Glucosamine and MSM which I only take when taking nothing else.

I stopped the Tramadol altogether, dumped it, as it was really unsuitable for the condition and resulted in nausea and massive headache every time, followed by depression for two days.

I went back to the Meloxacam but on half (7.5mg) dose which is adequate and no side effects for now - adding the occasional Nexium when it feels the need. Using the Celebrex for a change when necessary.

dunkonyou

I take celebrex now, but only because my insurance deduc is paid up for the year and I get it free. 800mg of ibupofren I feel works as good or better though.

brdss

Lapsed Senior Member
Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) has worked some miracles! Do a little reading about it!

They use it for horses as a liniment and in most of the world it has found success in treating the swelling from arthritis and other issues. You can buy it off of Ebay for pretty cheap. Might be worth a shot. I use it on my hands/knuckles and it seems to help remove some of the pain. Not all of it, but maybe half.

Side effects are garlic breath!

dragonxp

Lapsed Senior Member
I would advise you to take daily Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) in combination with Calcium. Here in germany you can get those tablets in the pharmacy, but in pharmacy they are pretty expensive, so I buy those tablets in a supermarket for a much cheaper price.

cajunbulldog

Distinguished member
Daily Alleve Robaxcin Tylenol 3 with add on Toradol and steroid pack if I have a inflammation in my knees. My condition is chronic so pain control limits on mobility and steroids are all that I can use since knees are not bad enough to warrant replacement yet.