Osteo-Arthritis What works for you?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

SimonPol

Ibuprofen cause me to wake with restriction in the chest and in need to force my breathing. I suppose that's an allergic reaction, so can't use that.

Celebrex is the least psychologically noticeable but it does the job.

No matter what I use, when I stop using it for a time I usually pay the price for having used the drugs. Which cause me to question the value of using them in the first place.

I must say I have nothing that causes me to be immobile but certainly constantly pained by the OA, swollen knuckles and ankles, back is a mess.

HarryIrene

Renowned member
I have Osteo-Arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis and most definitely Rheumatoid too boot - On a roll!!!!!!!!! Started in knees and spread like wildfire through my immune system and every joint including lower back and back of neck.

Chronic Pain Mania...

Tramadol helps a lot for "good" days (most humans worst nightmare days - HA!), I take Aleve everyday (Naproxen might work for a lot of folks who can't use Ibuprofen? They always worked better for me...even if it is diddy squat...betta' then nuthin'). None of the NSAID'S work for my pain alone...I notice just a titch with Naproxen...they are good combined with other meds though..(IMO)

Doc will give me Prednisolone sometimes as well (they help really well - Superman!!!!! -, but they give me the creeps...personally) and when the tapering wears off.....uuuuggghhhh

Other then that Hydro, Oxy, Exercise, Lots of water, juice, fruit, Vitamins, Pizza and Wine (HAHA!)...It's constant work and pain - I go back to see a new Rheumatologist early December.
@Shayna

I have heard about the cherry capsules from a good source..(Solaray)...Gotta' give those a whirl as well. Thanks for the reminder.

@teresita

I just started taking Glucosamine as well...I'll see what shakes..I think I gotta' get a fresh bottle. My friend gave me some and God knows how long they have been sitting and outdated - Thank You for the reminder as well!!

Cash

Exalted member
I have Osteo-Arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis and most definitely Rheumatoid too boot - On a roll!!!!!!!!!

Holy Toledo Batman, all 3?!!! That is terrible. I have RA and they believe also some elements of psoriatic arthritis. I can't imagine your pain level every day given mine with all the shit I got going on.

Wow, high five to you for keeping your chin up, takes guts and determination

HarryIrene

Renowned member
Thanks @Cash :)

It's been a nightmare and continues to be...Doctors don't understand pain level(s) either - I wanna' punch them...

High Five right back at cha' - RA is no walk in the park. Just gotta' keep movin' and groovin' and take it easy, when my body says - Take it Easy!!! Hard for a crazy Monkey like me.

Cash

Exalted member
Thanks @Cash :)

It's been a nightmare and continues to be...Doctors don't understand pain level(s) either - I wanna' punch them...

High Five right back at cha' - RA is no walk in the park. Just gotta' keep movin' and groovin' and take it easy, when my body says - Take it Easy!!

Ain't that the truth, you gotta keep moving to keep limber but it's just so hard and then you gotta know your body well enough to rest when it needs it. And I swear, if we could give doctors just a sample of chronic pain, they would get it a hell of a lot better. There are some good ones out there but sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

teg

I have also found that the Etodolac provides excellent relief. I use the extended release form of it. I try not to take it daily because, as you said, lab tests are needed to monitor liver function. I also take Plaquenil for my oa. My rheumatologist prescribed it a couple of years ago and it has restored the joints in my hands. Although, Plaquenil is prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, it continues to work very well for me. It is another medication that requires lab testing.

LuckyIrish

Distinguished member
Similar to ArtificialDeceased, I have osteo & psoriatic arthritis. I used NSAIDs for years with some relief but developed serious stomach issues so I had to stop. Tramadol helps but it just masks the pain for me. It's still there the next morning. A few things that have helped for me have been mentioned here- glucosamine and chondroitin. I also started to exercise and took off a lot of extra weight I was carrying around. Losing the weight also eliminated my need for blood pressure meds, so that was an added bonus. I tried acupuncture but it didn't work. To be fair, I didn't stick with it more than 3 months b/c I couldn't get past the needles. I also worked on my diet and cut back on dairy and foods with gluten. I'm not 100% off these and cannot say if this has added to my results but I have experienced a reduction in pain and stiffness since I changed my diet. Oh- and one more thing I tried- I eat raw garlic cloves a few times a week. Garlic (raw) is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties and it doesn't mess with my stomach like the NSAIDs did. The garlic actually improved my rosacea which was an unexpected surprise! An unpleasant side effect is the smell so I try not to breath on anyone a day or two after I eat the garlic.

ladyhurting

Distinguished member
Daily Feldene 20mg (NSAID Rx medication), Baclofen 1-2 times per day PRN depending on muscle spasm - sometimes I take Alleve (Naproxen Rx dosage - 2 OTC tablets equal 1 Rx Naproxen).

Feldene does not bother my stomach and over the course of taking it the first four to five days, it's effective. More effective than Motrin (Ibuprofen). I swear by Feldene - sometimes my knee joints and my cervical spine do swell up, especially in damp weather. Feldene generic is very good!

I understand that Celebrex has a potential cardiac side effect. That's another reason I am staying with Feldene.

Packrat

I have Osteoarthritis and have Celebrex for it, but I only take it for two weeks at a time because I am afraid of the potential cardiac impact. Does anyone know of the least dangerous NSAID that is effective for Osteoarthritis?

Regards,

- Packrat

Frank Leigh

Honorable member
I thought I’d revive this thread as I struggle with osteoarthritis in my knee. It’s been gradually getting worse and last year I had a steroid cortisone injection and that relieved the pain for a good three months. I was hoping to get another injection this year but since the start of lockdown our GP is doing video only consultations. I’m using ibuprofen occasionally but tbh does nothing but make my guts ache. Codeine doesn’t touch the sides either. I’ve tried gels and rubs but nothing doing - anyone got ideas for alternative methods of pain relief or should I just get the chainsaw out and chop it off?

Gullible

Exalted member
I've found that ultrasound is effective, also deep red and infrared light. There are some threads on both of those. I've been using them for years with good results. Also, taking glucosamine and chondroitin helps.

I'm thinking of going with stem cell injections. I looked into it a year or so ago but didn't go ahead. It seems to be worth a try and if it works it gives long term relief.

Frank Leigh

Honorable member
I've found that ultrasound is effective, also deep red and infrared light. There are some threads on both of those. I've been using them for years with good results. Also, taking glucosamine and chondroitin helps.

I'm thinking of going with stem cell injections. I looked into it a year or so ago but didn't go ahead. It seems to be worth a try and if it works it gives long term relief.
Thanks - I'm taking glucosamine at the moment - I've been on it about two months. How effective it is I'm not sure but I do get really good days now. I will look into ultrasound and light therapy; I shall investigate. Thanks for the reply, its useful information.

Gullible

Exalted member

Thanks - I'm taking glucosamine at the moment - I've been on it about two months. How effective it is I'm not sure but I do get really good days now. I will look into ultrasound and light therapy; I shall investigate. Thanks for the reply, its useful information.
The correct dose is important, pay no attention to what they say on the label. I take, just for example, 4 triple strength tabs of gluco/chond per day and that helps. Taking 1 or 2 doesn't seem to do anything.

Get the 1 mz ultrasound, 5 to 15 minutes will make any joint feel better fast. I use it every few days, it lasts a while

Frank Leigh

Honorable member

The correct dose is important, pay no attention to what they say on the label. I take, just for example, 4 triple strength tabs of gluco/chond per day and that helps. Taking 1 or 2 doesn't seem to do anything.

Get the 1 mz ultrasound, 5 to 15 minutes will make any joint feel better fast. I use it every few days, it lasts a while
Thanks for the info - I'm going to get an ultrasound machine, I hope it'll do the business. Really appreciate the information, its hard to get any thing positive at the moment.

notcharlotte

Exalted member
@Frank Leigh , knees are so hard and relief is impossible. nothing seems to get down to the bone. i've tried everything otc abd prescription gels too. walking helped for a time, buti have a bad hip now so walking is out. i used an ultrasound maching to heal a foot fracture, so let us know if you have any success. the docs basically saud they can't do anything but a knee replacement. oh, and here's 10 tramadol!

Gullible

Exalted member
Doctors make no money if you buy an ultrasound unit. They make a lot of $$$ doing surgery. Do the math. You can pick up a unit off ebay for 20 or $30 which will last for years. Also no complications from surgery if there is no surgery.

smott999

Lapsed Senior Member
I do OK w straight IBU. Have had good results w bomelain if you want to stay all natural...

Gullible

Exalted member
I do OK w straight IBU. Have had good results w bomelain if you want to stay all natural...
What is an ibu? I have taken bromelain, have not noticed much if any benefit for arthritis. What dose do you take? Ultrasound has worked well for me, generally 5 minutes helps a lot or maybe 10 or 15 mins with 5 mins in each area if its bad. Its better than taking a drug.